HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:31 PM

The million dollar club

I've been really interested in Canada's population and its growth but still stunned to see only 6 cities in Canada with 1 million + of population (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary & Edmonton).

I believe Quebec City, Hamilton and London are the next biggest cities?
Which cities do you expect to join the million dollar club and when, especially considering future growth and maybe immigration etc...

*Also, something that has stunned me is the GTA is very large and populated, especially with all the immigrants moving to the area. Would there be any way to accept or divert new immigrants to cities other than Toronto and Montreal? Like send them to Quebec City, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay etc.. to fuel growth and expansion in other places of the country?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:35 PM

Well, I remember when we only had 3 cities in the Million club (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver), and that was only 10-15 years or so ago.

The fact that we've doubled that within a decade or two is quite impressive, especially with more cities lurking just under the million threshold.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:45 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Given their current growth rates, Winnipeg, Québec and Hamilton will be, but you're looking at several decades before any of them hit a million.

I wouldn't put that much stock in present trends though. If you apply the same numbers to the top 100 urban areas in the country, Stouffville and Milton will both be larger than 1.2 million by 2040 or so.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:49 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Winnipeg has a decent chance of being the next in the million club. It's the biggest city under a million right now. Considering that we've only got 34 million I'd say six cities of over a million is pretty good. California has 38 million and only 5 or 6.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

In the next round of CMA Caledonia will be added to Hamilton's CMA. In 2011 Caledonia population was 9,999, just needed 1 more friggin person and wham joined to Hamilton's CMA.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...ustom=&TABID=1

With Caledonia's addition Hamilton would be ahead of Winnipeg, in terms of population.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 8:08 PM

A Stats Canada page (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm) states the following metropolitan figures for 2012:

Winnipeg: 778,400
Quebec City: 769,600
Hamilton: 756,600
London: 500,000

Another page (http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population.pdf) states in 2013 Winnipeg's CMA is 789,300, and is expected to be 828,100 by 2017.

This page (http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population_forecast.pdf) projects Winnipeg's CMA to reach 1,020,800 by 2035. I'm not sure about figures for Quebec City or Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 8:20 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

*Also, something that has stunned me is the GTA is very large and populated, especially with all the immigrants moving to the area. Would there be any way to accept or divert new immigrants to cities other than Toronto and Montreal? Like send them to Quebec City, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay etc.. to fuel growth and expansion in other places of the country?
Toronto's (albeit still dominant) share of Canadian immigrants has been declining for years now.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 8:45 PM
DRINK

Edmonton and Calgary will probably join the 2m club before anybody else joins the million club.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 8:52 PM

looking forward to when Van is in the 3 mill club and Vic is over 500 000.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 8:55 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
I've been really interested in Canada's population and its growth but still stunned to see only 6 cities in Canada with 1 million + of population (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary & Edmonton).

I believe Quebec City, Hamilton and London are the next biggest cities?
Which cities do you expect to join the million dollar club and when, especially considering future growth and maybe immigration etc...

Several corrections:

Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hamilton are the next three largest, followed by Kitchener and then London.

Montreal is not the 2nd largest recipient of immigrants, I believe it is now a close match between Vancouver and Calgary.

The immigrant populations of cities like Saskatoon are growing relatively rapidly already as a result of the ongoing boom in the west. Thunder Bay's economy can't currently support a major surge in population, as there already aren't enough jobs for the people who live there. However, that trend is reversing. Quebec is a lot more strict than the rest of Canada on who they let immigrate to their province.

But in response, I expect Quebec City to be the next to join the million club, then possibly Winnipeg depending on the longevity of the boom in the west. I think Kitchener will be a good contender as they will be building rapid transit infrastructure starting next year and are now connected to Toronto via the GO Train. More people may move there because of these things and (possibly) cheaper housing?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 9:10 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Isn't Hamilton cheaper than Kitchener?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 9:13 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
looking forward to when Van is in the 3 mill club and Vic is over 500 000.
If you include Abbotsford into the mix, which I don't think is too out there seeing as it's pretty much right up against Langley, Metro Vancouver's population is 2.85 million. A few good years of growth could see Vancouver top 3 million well before 2020.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I posted this once a while ago somewhere else, but while most people see Toronto as the land of immigrants, the immigrant influx into the GTA is really dropping like a stone. 2011's immigrant intake was down over 40 per cent over 2001's, as a share of the Canadian total. Vancouver's and Ottawa's intakes have dropped as well, though less than Toronto's.

Virtually everywhere else is increasing, east and especially west, so I think the diversion you're speaking about is already happening, due to a combination of government policies and economic incentives.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Several corrections:

Montreal is not the 2nd largest recipient of immigrants, I believe it is now a close match between Vancouver and Calgary.

Quebec is a lot more strict than the rest of Canada on who they let immigrate to their province.

Montreal is now the second center of immigration of the country, surpassing Vancouver since many years. Calgary receive a lot of people through interprovincial migration but the city is not as much an immigration center as the top three cities. See table 2 of the link:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...Diverstiyl.pdf

"As set out in Table 2, Montreal attracted 15% (323,040 persons) of the new immigrant growth for the period from 2001 to 2011 while Metro Vancouver attracted 14% (292,870 persons) of the new immigrants."

Quebec is not more strict than the rest of the country. If you know French, it is actually easier.

Last edited by vanatox; Jul 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Edmonton and Calgary will probably join the 2m club before anybody else joins the million club.
Calgary possibly, but Edmonton, not a chance. The most optimistic population projection for Edmonton I've seen calls for 1.8M in the CMA by 2050.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:31 AM

^ For even a booming city like Calgary to pick up 750'000 to 800'000 people before Any of the next three to pick up just over 200'000 is quite a stretch IMO. That's a lot of migration and Immigration..The boom will have to continue for decades before Calgary almost doubles in size. I can see 1.5 or 1.6 though.

I can also see Fort Mac becoming Regina sized before any of the aforementioned city reaches the next milestone. Now this is pending there is no "bust" like in past years.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:49 AM
Closed account

If Guelph weren't already its own CMA, the combined regions of KW and Guelph could well be a contender for the next to surpass 1 million.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:57 AM

What's the big deal about hitting an arbitrary number like one million? I'd say quality of life/quality of construction is a more important issue.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
What's the big deal about hitting an arbitrary number like one million? I'd say quality of life/quality of construction is a more important issue.
Canadians (incorrectly) base a city's urbanity/worth on population.

It's one of the few countries where people simply can't wrap their head around the fact that... oh, little St-Pierre-et-Miquelon with its dense town of 6,000 and a bustling, active street life is probably more urban and enjoyable to be in than Mississauga with its hundreds of thousands and car-centric lifestyle.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:06 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^ It's true. Canada loves to use a measuring stick. I'm guilty of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada