HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Bridgeman's View Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 12:38 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Just thinking of Philadelphia gives me an erection.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 1:49 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
We will eventually get there!

Is it possible Houston and Dallas do not have more 900+ footers than listed above?
Nope. Speaking only of 900 to 999 feet, (not including anything over 1,000 feet), Houston has two, one 901 footer and a 992 footer. Dallas has one 921 footer.

Here is a more detailed list:

New York

Completed:
American International Building - 952 feet - 66 floors - 1932
The Trump Building - 927 feet - 70 floors - 1930
Citigroup Center - 915 feet - 59 floors - 1977
Approved:
Four World Trade Center - 947 feet - 61 floors - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chicago

Completed:
Two Prudential Plaza - 995 feet - 64 floors - 1990
311 South Wacker Drive - 961 feet - 65 floors - 1990
Approved:
Mandarin Oriental Tower Chicago - 930 feet - 65 floors - 2008

Houston

Completed:
Wells Fargo Plaza - 992 feet - 71 floors - 1983
Williams Tower - 901 feet - 64 floors - 1983

Philadelphia

Completed:
One Liberty Place - 945 feet - 61 floors - 1987

Under construction:
Comcast Center - 975 feet - 57 floors - 2008

Proposed:
Bridgeman's View Tower - 915 feet - 70 floors

Seattle

Completed:
Columbia Center - 937 feet - 76 floors - 1985

Dallas

Completed:
Bank of America Plaza - 921 feet - 72 floors - 1985

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 1:51 AM
Meh

So for atleast a year New York, Chicago and Philadelphia will be tied for number of 900 footers!

By the way, Emporis lists the Bridgeman's View Tower as being only 749 feet tall. It notes that it was originally proposed in November as a 900 foot tower. Why is this?

Anyway, Philly deserves it. I can't think of another American city that deserves it more.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Feb 2, 2007 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So for atleast a year New York, Chicago and Philadelphia will be tied for number of 900 footers!

By the way, Emporis lists the Bridgeman's View Tower as being only 749 feet tall. It notes that it was originally proposed in November as a 900 foot tower. Why is this?
Because Emporis sucks.
They don't pay their contributors, so the contributors rightly stop providing them with information. Therefore, what Emporis posts is either hopelessly out of date or just flat out wrong.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:44 PM
Meh

Well, as an editor there myself, I can say that sort of behaviour has more to do with that particular person more so than the website itself.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Actually, it was originally proposed at 915'. A revised design was put forth that split the tower into two separate towers, with the tallest being around 750 feet. But, recently, it seems the original version garnered the most local support, and was approved.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:27 PM
Corporate logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Just thinking of Philadelphia gives me an erection.
And so many men waste money on those stupid pills.

Some views of the lot as it currently exists. This one looking North and East.

This one looking North along Delaware Avenue.

Just think how these views will change in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:50 PM
furified freestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Because Emporis sucks.
They don't pay their contributors, so the contributors rightly stop providing them with information. Therefore, what Emporis posts is either hopelessly out of date or just flat out wrong.
skyscraper, i think this is the first time i've been in 100%, unequivocal agreement with you. thank you. (as an aside, inga has been relatively cold toward this particular development, an opinion on which i think she's way, way off.)

litz, of course bridgeman's view is going to look out of place that far away from the market street cluster; it's part of its draw. we're all talking about houston -- look at the williams tower. it's the best building in that city and it shines because of its location. BVT will too, and it will stand as a catalyst for the future development of the riverfront, at long last. everything about bridgeman's view tower is considerate and makes total sense. anyone who is automatically against it because of its height or its location just don't get it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:08 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

I was waiting for someone to bring up Houston or Atlanta, and I'm a bit surprised it was you. Those situations don't really compare to this, for a lot of reasons, IMO- although if you want to talk about redeveloping City Line Ave into Buckhead, I'll welcome that discussion. I think the best comparison would be all the development around the Pavonia/Newport PATH station in Jersey City. There was a case where you had a gentrifying Jane-Jacobsy neighborhood set back from a largely abandoned waterfront industrial area. In the last 20 years its all been filled in with offices, residential, parkland, a marina, a shopping mall and a light rail line, and even forms something of a glass canyon along Washington Boulevard. I could see this type of development happening here, perhaps something even better and less sterile (not having its shopping activity ghettoized into a mall gives it an immediate advantage) if Praxis does their job right.
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:14 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:

I think it was originally proposed at 900+ feet, Penn Praxis suggest it be scaled down to 700+feet with a second tower, but more recently it is back to 900+feet.

Emporis may be lagging on the news a bit.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:33 PM
Pacific Wonderland

As far as I can tell, 900ft towers:

New York: 6 built, 3 uc, 3 proposed
Chicago: 6 built, 2 uc, 1 proposed
Philadelphia:1 built, 1 uc, 1 proposed
Houston: 3 built
Cleveland: 1 built
Atlanta: 1 built
Dallas: 1 built
Seattle: 1 built
Los Angeles: 1 built
San Francisco: 2 proposed
Las Vegas: 1 proposed

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
[color=navy]skyscraper, i think this is the first time i've been in 100%, unequivocal agreement with you. thank you. (as an aside, inga has been relatively cold toward this particular development, an opinion on which i think she's way, way off.)
I'll say at the outset that I have never contributed any information to Emporis, but I have heard this about them not paying their contributors from more than one person. I think the person in charge of the Philadelphia pages is the most notorious for this, but I have heard it for other cities as well.
Inga is the Simon Cowell of architecture critics: unqualified to make any judgements, but the ones she does make she makes unnecessarily negative (at least when it comes to Philadelphia buildings. New York buildings, different story) because she thinks that makes it look like she's doing her job.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:47 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I was a photographer then editor for L.A. and can attest to them not paying a thing, even requested a high resolution photo to sell (old submissions were limited to small sizes)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
And so many men waste money on those stupid pills.
This billboard works for that too...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:54 PM

Does anyone know when the Penn Praxis report will finally be ready?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:49 PM
Meh

Yeah, it seems some editors lose interest or get lazy with adding facts and info. I haven't, though. I do it for the love of the subject more than anything else.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:03 PM
furified freestyle

skyscraper, it's not a philadelphia person doing the pilfering, it's a long-tongued liar in germany who's made promises to myself and to MJPhilly to pay us for the photos of ours he has sold. this is no secret, so i do not understand for a second why anyone wastes their time for emporis.

kevin, MJ and i haven't gotten lazy, we've shifted our focus to our own efforts. why would we volunteer time and effort to put money into someone else's pockets? that is retarded. i'm ashamed that my name is still all over the philly pages, most especially because my pictures have an emporis watermark that i most absolutely certainly did not approve of. fuck emporis.

litz, i'm not talking about houston, i'm talking about its williams tower. it's a beautiful building that, like BVT will, stands off on its own. that is where the comparison ends.

omp, penn praxis was given twelve months to complete a full study when it was assigned its task back in november. it's trying to get there with community input, which is why they're holding the forums they're holding. there's another one tomorrow (which i cannot attend) at the seaport museum. http://www.planphilly.com/node/864

that said, i like what penn praxis is doing and (for the most part) how they're going about it, but they need bridgeman's view. if they continue fighting it, they're digging themselves a giant hole by sending a message that not even local developers who've gone through a public process to create the best product possible can build in this city, so why would outside developers even bother?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
skyscraper, it's not a philadelphia person doing the pilfering, it's a long-tongued liar in germany who's made promises to myself and to MJPhilly to pay us for the photos of ours he has sold. this is no secret, so i do not understand for a second why anyone wastes their time for emporis.

I don't think I said it was someone in Philadelphia; all I said was that "the person in charge of the Philadelphia pages" was most notorious.

Quote:
kevin, MJ and i haven't gotten lazy, we've shifted our focus to our own efforts. why would we volunteer time and effort to put money into someone else's pockets? that is retarded. i'm ashamed that my name is still all over the philly pages, most especially because my pictures have an emporis watermark that i most absolutely certainly did not approve of. fuck emporis.
fuck emporis is right.

Quote:

that said, i like what penn praxis is doing and (for the most part) how they're going about it, but they need bridgeman's view. if they continue fighting it, they're digging themselves a giant hole by sending a message that not even local developers who've gone through a public process to create the best product possible can build in this city, so why would outside developers even bother?
my recollection, and correct me if I'm wrong, was that it was penn praxis who suggested the 2-building solution to this project, the one that no one liked. The ZBA and the neighborhood approved the 915-foot single building. I don't think penn praxis is fighting it, they are going to have to include it in their plan. Again, I might be wrong so please correct me if this is wrong.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:16 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
I don't think I said it was someone in Philadelphia; all I said was that "the person in charge of the Philadelphia pages" was most notorious.

fuck emporis is right.
I am coming around to agree with this statement

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:26 PM
furified freestyle

Quote:
my recollection, and correct me if I'm wrong, was that it was penn praxis who suggested the 2-building solution to this project, the one that no one liked. The ZBA and the neighborhood approved the 915-foot single building. I don't think penn praxis is fighting it, they are going to have to include it in their plan. Again, I might be wrong so please correct me if this is wrong.
kind of. it was the city planning commission's recommendation to have a two-tower plan b, but pretty much everyone assumes that this recommendation came about from the PCPC's collaboration with penn praxis. PCPC's director, janice woodcock, made the suggestion but also said that if the neighbors like the taller, single tower, that they should be able to keep it. and they did -- the two tower scheme was less dramatic AND required more units, read: more TRAFFIC, to be able to cover the cost of construction differential.

so, the single tower it is. the site is zoned up to 950', and though the tower concept we've seen publicly is 915', i don't think it's unreasonable to hold out hope that every inch of that 950' be maximized. plus, the 950' figure is only to the roof -- that doesn't include any spire, and the way the building is configured, a spire could complement the building very nicely AND give philadelphia its first 1000' tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive