HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
SI think theres also that mystery supertall that Shvo's planning, which hopefully will be massive as the man clearly has a height ego. I forget the street that its on.
A NY Times article wrote that Shvo had a 100 floor tower planned near Central Park, but no details were given. NY YIMBY supposedly knows more, but no specifics yet.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:58 AM
BANNED

^He already gave you an answer. He said it was 77 floors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Shvo Tower is 77 floors.

Last edited by Perklol; Sep 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 12:14 PM

Just a few years ago, this skyline had roughly twice as few supertalls as it does today, whether or not one counts NY Times Tower and Bank of America as supertalls.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 7:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Emporis updated the NYC section for projects:

154 towers u/c

136 planned or proposed

It was only a couple of months ago that the city has something like 90 towers u/c according to emporis. Construction definitely picked up.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Very nice. I updated the first page.

Some cool pics of 432 Park Avenue, the new kid in town.

daniel.frauchiger

c_slavik

10iggie

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:29 AM

http://www.6sqft.com/living-in-the-c...he-sky-part-i/

supertalls absent from that montage:
520 w 41st
3 Hudson Boulevard
125 Greenwich
225 w 57th street

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:45 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Biggest skyscraper boom in the history of New York.

Btw 5 Beekman Street (The Beekman Hotel & Residences) is now 209.4 m / 687 ft. So another 200m+ skyscraper for NYC!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The permit frenzy is strong too. Not just when it comes to high rises. There have been hundreds of permits for midrises as well. Also, on the Jersey side, more permits have been issued in the last 5 years than all of the 5 boroughs. The boom is also affecting Jersey. Its a win-win for all of us.

The sheer number lies within the height range of 100-499 feet, but I would imagine a list like that would be a huge effort.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:36 AM
Ex Houstonian

Whenever a boom like this happens, usually it means we are about to see the economy go into a free fall soon. I hope not though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:39 AM
The City

I've got to get back to New York in the next year or two just to see all of the changes since I left in 2009.

I'd like to spend a good 2-3 days soaking it all in--the new highrises, the energy, the whole "center of the world" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:02 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 3:14 PM
don't *meddle*...

Fellow forumers, 30 Hudson Yards (1,284ft; 92 floors ) is U/C!! --> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...87315&page=100

According to thejacko5 @SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
With the placement of the first columns that support the tower, I think this should be U/C

I can confirm that those columns support tower superstructure. Think of them as basement level columns.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 5:49 PM

And hopefully Extell's 123 W.57th will be a supertall. This assemblage will likely be yet another soaring tower on 57th street, and would be the third supertall by Extell on 57th Street (and he also has a 4th site on 57th closer to 5th Ave.).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:01 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Sounds promising. Still, I'm waiting for a really tall order, i.e. a 500m+ monster to roof. How things are going, New York will be the last major city to get a megatall. It's really unfortunate because no other city deserves it more. Even 2nd and 3rd- tier Chinese cities have their megatall towers. ASEAN and Araban cities are not that far behind.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:25 AM

^^^^
Even though I hope I'm wrong, I don't see a megatall (+600m to the roof) in NYC just yet. I do think we will see at least one such tower when the next cycle begins within around 10 years, probably in the Penn Station area (like the Gotham Gateway tower envisioned by SHoP) when the Garden is relocated and it's surroundings are upzoned, 57th street when crowding leaves nowhere to go but up or the land the outdated Javitts center currently occupies.

Hopefully the next big thing helps to tie Hudson Yards even closer to the rest of Midtown with a continuous range of manmade peaks.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-building-boom

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
How things are going, New York will be the last major city to get a megatall.
If NYC got this, it would be the first major city, not the last major city.

The megatall buildings have all been proposed in developing world cities. No major world cities have anything close to megatalls. They're all proposed in mainland China, the Arabian peninsula and wacky dictatorships like Kazakhstan.

Rich, developed cities (NYC, London, HK, Singapore, Paris, etc.) build buildings based on demand, not because some random dictator wants a crazy phallus in the desert.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 12:59 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ I know that. Building on demand is the right way, of course. We don't need towers sitting empty for years or even decades.
But the city is in a skyscraper boom never witnessed before. This boom is even greater than the one in the 1920s/30s, if I may say so. So it would be the perfect opportunity to build something really epic. I honestly don't care that much what other cities build, I mean it's already hard to follow New York projects. It's just that the tallest towers are all in the same height range: 400 - 450m. That's a plateau. I know that I'm kind of spoiled, many cities would envy New York's current supertall boom. But this city really needs a true signature tower which is taller than the rest. As Eidolon said, if we don't get a monster tower now, we sure can wait for the next cycle (10 - 15 years).

Look at this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

The Hudson Yards would also be massively expensive. I estimate the total cost between the major players between, Related, Brookfield, Tishman Speyer and JPM amounts to an estimated $35 Billion not including 3 HB and all the other smaller projects.

Est. Figures

$20 B | Related Phase 1 & 2
$6.5 B | JPMC Campus (2 towers)
$4.5 B | Brookfield Manhattan West Campus (3 Towers)
$3.2 B | Hudson Spire (1 Tower)

Unverified and not included in est. figure.

$3B | McCourt/ Hines (1 Tower)
$35+ Billion!! That's insane. One could build several megatalls with that kind of money. But instead we don't even have a 400m+ tower @HY. What a shame.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 3:31 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't care that much what other cities build, I mean it's already hard to follow New York projects. It's just that the tallest towers are all in the same height range: 400 - 450m. That's a plateau. I know that I'm kind of spoiled, many cities would envy New York's current supertall boom. But this city really needs a true signature tower which is taller than the rest. As Eidolon said, if we don't get a monster tower now, we sure can wait for the next cycle (10 - 15 years).
I agree with you. With the new "plateau" the city could use a true signature tower or two.

I'm sure it will (eventually) come. Plenty of possibilities in various parts of Manhattan (esp. Hudson Yards, 57th Street/Central Park area, Grand Central, Penn Station and Lower Manhattan).

I actually thing in the long run, Penn Station will be the "peak" of the skyline and the most logical location for megatalls. It's the city's true transportation hub, has TONS of air rights, and is really the new heart of the city with the construction of Hudson Yards to the west. There are gigantic investments coming to Penn Station area (new Moynihan station, new Amtrak tunnel and station, and relocated Madison Square Garden).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
$35+ Billion!! That's insane. One could build several megatalls with that kind of money. But instead we don't even have a 400m+ tower @HY. What a shame.
+1

JP Morgan should build one office tower to save land(fill) and costs.

A 1570' tower would be okay, I think.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wish they would just take all of the space in WTC2. I'd rather have that built then two towers in HY. Its a gem that needs to be part of the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture