HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:25 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I am not the least bit surprised to hear that the western leg of the Chief Peguis Trail will be done before an eastern extension. The one I am a little confused with is why they are stopping 3-5 km short of the Centreport Way road. Perhaps the province will be funding that piece along with the southern extension to bring Highway 6 into the Centreport Way/Chief Peguis/Inskter/Sturgeon/Highway 6 intersection that is confussing showning on the Centerport website. I am still trying to figure out how you have two east-west routes meet at a four way intersection....
The reason the City cannot connect up the Chief Peguis to CentrePort Canada Way is, the small section where Chief Peguis ends (around Route 90 and Jefferson) and the terminus of CentrePort at the western edge of Players Golf Course is not City property. I believe that is in the RM of Rosser. They need to connect inbetween Little Mountain Sports Park and north of the golf course.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The reason the City cannot connect up the Chief Peguis to CentrePort Canada Way is, the small section where Chief Peguis ends (around Route 90 and Jefferson) and the terminus of CentrePort at the western edge of Players Golf Course is not City property. I believe that is in the RM of Rosser. They need to connect inbetween Little Mountain Sports Park and north of the golf course.
The city limit is on the west side of Brookside. Any extension beyond that would have to be done by the province as a highway.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:59 AM

I'm interested to find out where the city gets the money to do these projects within 4 years. Assuming there is no inflation and the projects don't go over-budget, $300 M is almost an entire year's capital budget. And I'm pretty sure the city has limits on the amount of projects they can build as P3s.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I'm interested to find out where the city gets the money to do these projects within 4 years. Assuming there is no inflation and the projects don't go over-budget, $300 M is almost an entire year's capital budget. And I'm pretty sure the city has limits on the amount of projects they can build as P3s.
Well, if they can show a net benefit to the 'national economy' by 'supporting development at CentrePort Canada' then they could make a pitch to the feds...

Besides, didn't the city receive money from the Federal "Building Canada" infrastructure fund; that money was supposed to go towards phase II of the rapid transit line, but is now instead being funneled toward roads. Further to that, the mayor said that the city could go after "new federal funding" for the rapid transit line.

(story is a bit dated, but shows what I'm talking about).
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...116641668.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
What will the city do with $189 million?
Infrastructure bucks could go a few ways

By: Dan Lett

Posted: 02/22/2011 1:00 AM | Comments: 1 (including replies)
BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS ARCHIVES Enlarge Image

Bus rapid transit. Recreation centres. CentrePort. Roads and bridges. And now the Winnipeg Convention Centre.

Which project will be the beneficiary of $189 million of unspent infrastructure funding from the three levels of government that remains, on paper at least, sitting on the table collecting dust? Each week, new rumours arise about what it will be spent on, but officially, officials from the city, province and federal government refuse to confirm any of what, for now, is just talk.

The money in question, assembled as part of Ottawa's tripartite Building Canada Fund, was originally targeted for Phase 2 of the Southwest Transit Corridor, the bus rapid transit line that will eventually connect Main Street to the University of Manitoba's Fort Garry campus.

Last edited by Mininari; Apr 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:12 PM

Has anyone seen the master plan for the CPT? When they extend the CPT to McPhillips will it actually be a freeway with an interchange at each major road for once or will it be filled with traffic lights like the rest of it is? There is nothing but open field for the whole route so if they wanted to they could.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Has anyone seen the master plan for the CPT? When they extend the CPT to McPhillips will it actually be a freeway with an interchange at each major road for once or will it be filled with traffic lights like the rest of it is? There is nothing but open field for the whole route so if they wanted to they could.
LOL! Interchange at each intersection! LOL! ....Sorry but your in Winnipeg son.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
LOL! Interchange at each intersection! LOL! ....Sorry but your in Winnipeg son.
They could always just go a la South Perimeter Highway and leave those dirt road crossings as openings in the median, and include no left turn or merge lanes of any kind.

Hey, at least there won't be a traffic light...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
They could always just go a la South Perimeter Highway and leave those dirt road crossings as openings in the median, and include no left turn or merge lanes of any kind.

Those are far more dangerous than any at grade light controlled intersections. What Winnipeg needs is proper fiscal management as well as some proper help from feds and Provincial government. Kitchener Ontario has an abundance of Freeways, and I wouldn't believe for a second it is all municipally funded.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Those are far more dangerous than any at grade light controlled intersections. What Winnipeg needs is proper fiscal management as well as some proper help from feds and Provincial government. Kitchener Ontario has an abundance of Freeways, and I wouldn't believe for a second it is all municipally funded.
Kitchener's freeways are provincial highways. We should have major roads in the city maintained by the province (ex. Route 90, Bishop Grandon, Lag. , Chief Peguis) and have some of them upgraded to freeway standards.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
Heart of the Continent

The provincial government is finally catching up with the provincial highways....the last thing they need ATM is more of them.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:

lol haha ... I think you may be on to something! We should do that within the city too. Imagine Bishop...saved from traffic lights and all left turns converted into dirt roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
definitely should be made a priority, that I agree. The Perimeter as it is could be much safer. Problem is $ and bad planning. (not sure if you caught Mini's joke or not but if you didn't, he was joking )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman224 View Post
Kitchener's freeways are provincial highways. We should have major roads in the city maintained by the province (ex. Route 90, Bishop Grandon, Lag. , Chief Peguis) and have some of them upgraded to freeway standards.
Would be nice, but they still have to catch up on the ones that are actually Provincial! (such as the Peri)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:01 PM

Heh,
Yeah, it just amazes me that there are still said dangerous intersections on the perimeter highway, especially along the oft busy southern section. I had a close call with someone who almost "missed" their left turn at one of these intersections, and decided to slow down and stop in the left-hand (fast?) lane of a 100km/hr roadway to make his/her turn.
Yikes.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:

Heh,
Yeah, it just amazes me that there are still said dangerous intersections on the perimeter highway, especially along the oft busy southern section. I had a close call with someone who almost "missed" their left turn at one of these intersections, and decided to slow down and stop in the left-hand (fast?) lane of a 100km/hr roadway to make his/her turn.
Yikes.
Considering this has happened to me to (almost identically to you) at a different intersection along the Perimeter, I doubt we're the only two drivers who've had this

I know people who have been in accidents (some very serious) simply because of this type of planning. I like to think what could be prevented with some proper interchanges and upgrades to the highway.

I think if the city annexed all land up to the Perimeter Highway, this might make the PTHWY a bigger priority to the Government (because now more city traffic might use it in the future as Winnipeg expands) similar to what happened in Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Considering this has happened to me to (almost identically to you) at a different intersection along the Perimeter, I doubt we're the only two drivers who've had this

I know people who have been in accidents (some very serious) simply because of this type of planning. I like to think what could be prevented with some proper interchanges and upgrades to the highway.

I think if the city annexed all land up to the Perimeter Highway, this might make the PTHWY a bigger priority to the Government (because now more city traffic might use it in the future as Winnipeg expands) similar to what happened in Edmonton
...so we're going to make suburban sprawl all the way out to Oak Bank, without any rapid transit of any kind?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
...so we're going to make suburban sprawl all the way out to Oak Bank, without any rapid transit of any kind?
Not if a proper Mayor and City Council is voted in.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 8:46 PM
BANNED

The CP Trail extension should have continued at least until Plessis (the distance from Lag. to Plessis being only about 1-2 KM) traffic turning onto Grassie is now backed up almost to the CP Trail at times. This was very poor planning in that more people now travel the CP Trail into east Winnipeg and hit a bottleneck at Lag. and Grassie. The Springfield intersection is now redundant and should have been rerouted onto a new frontage road.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Just to continue our conversation from the Marion & Goulet thread......

Quote:

The CP Trail extension should have continued at least until Plessis (the distance from Lag. to Plessis being only about 1-2 KM) traffic turning onto Grassie is now backed up almost to the CP Trail at times. This was very poor planning in that more people now travel the CP Trail into east Winnipeg and hit a bottleneck at Lag.
...Oh, but no, no, rrskylar, the City has this all planned out. Their solution, you will see in about a week or so......wait for it........wait for it.............double turn lanes on Lagimodiere at Grassie.

This is the way the City plans it's highways and fixes it's problems.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:21 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

I wonder why they don't do floralscape type advertising along these roads. Is it expensive? Lack of winter options make it unfeasible? Do car exhaust fumes kill the flowers?

I was going down Chief Peguis and it was all mud. Seemed like a waste.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post

I wonder why they don't do floralscape type advertising along these roads. Is it expensive? Lack of winter options make it unfeasible? Do car exhaust fumes kill the flowers?

I was going down Chief Peguis and it was all mud. Seemed like a waste.
But no, Chief Peguis green space will soon be a wall of yellow flowers, I believe called dandelions!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
The CP Trail extension should have continued at least until Plessis (the distance from Lag. to Plessis being only about 1-2 KM) traffic turning onto Grassie is now backed up almost to the CP Trail at times. This was very poor planning in that more people now travel the CP Trail into east Winnipeg and hit a bottleneck at Lag. and Grassie. The Springfield intersection is now redundant and should have been rerouted onto a new frontage road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan