HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:57 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I don't know, Private Dick. I think that house is pretty freaking amazing, quite frankly! Sure, it would be more awesome if it was literally up on the side of the hills in the greenery, but it's still a pretty awesome structure!

You can nearly see my townhouse in that shot, too! (I'm up off of Barry St., which is a few blocks due east of the factory/house)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
For those who haven't had the pleasure of catching a glimpse of this masterpiece?...

All images: http://fisherarch.com/

I've always thought the house was rather silly -- given the context. If it was tucked in the hillside and trees rose up beneath it... or it extended out over a creek or classic industrial building or something like that, then I think it would be pretty cool. But extending over the mint green, corrugated aluminum peaked roof of a nondescript and cobbled-together trailer... does nothing for me.

Now, that cantilever extending over those trees higher on the hill in that first pic... now we're talking pimp-ass crib.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 3:02 AM
BANNED

^ Oh I agree that the house itself is pretty damn cool. I just wouldn't have spent the ridiculous amount of money I'm sure cost to build it over that awful mess of a glass factory -- even if I owned the factory.

That house cantilevered out of a hillside with those awesome views -- now that's a different story altogether. If I had a pad like that, I'd be getting all the hot Pittsburgh chicks... aw, who am I kidding, all I need is somethin like this for that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 5:04 AM

I think that house is mind-blowing. I remember biking past that factory this summer, looking up and saying "WTF?!" to myself. Nice to read the story on it.

I have no clue why I've never heard of this architecture firm before. The work they have on their site is amazing!

Check out what appears to be this early rendering for RiverParc:

http://fisherarch.com/index.php?p=53&i=4&c=4

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:30 PM

Wow, that is exciting. Do you know any other details such as any sort of time table for the above?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSH22 View Post
Wow, that is exciting. Do you know any other details such as any sort of time table for the above?
RiverParc was shelved a few years ago, unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 6:43 PM

Ohhhhhh, I read it wrong. I thought you were saying these are early renderings of a new attempt. Bummer.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 9:16 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSH22 View Post
Ohhhhhh, I read it wrong. I thought you were saying these are early renderings of a new attempt. Bummer.
Yeah, bummer indeed! I really hope somebody expresses some interest in developing that at some point. I liked the renderings from a few years ago courtesy of the Post-Gazette, but the ones pictured above here are comparable to the Beekman Tower in Lower Manhatten.

Some of those buildings proposed in the RiverPark development were supposed to be some 30 stories in height!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:38 PM
Stuck in the Suburbs

My opinion on the current state of RiverPark:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I don't have a problem with this unique house, however... given its rather random location... it's a quite ingenious attempt to develop value where there otherwise would be none.
I also don't have a problem with the house existing--in fact I think it is a good bit of branding for the City.

Pittsburgh: come where crazy people with a lot of money can still make a difference!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:57 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaCJ View Post
My opinion on the current state of RiverPark:
Yep. Same here...

As I said above, hopefully as the economy turns around and Pittsburgh continues to flourish, maybe someone will come along and dust this project off...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 9:07 PM

It was estimated as a $460 million project 6 years ago. Sadly, I doubt if anything resembling the original plan ever gets done .

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:46 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all
Quote:
Buncher plans progress in Strip District
Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Buncher Co. moved another step forward today in its plan to take down one-third of the Pennsylvania Railroad Fruit Action Terminal Building in order to pursue the redevelopment of the rest of the structure as part of a larger plan for a new mixed-use development on the company’s surrounding land in the Strip District.

This afternoon, the board of the Urban Redevelopment Authority voted...
Strip District - Master Plan

Photo Source:
http://www.dlastorino.com/portfolio/?cid=1

http://www.dlastorino.com/portfolio/?cid=1

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:27 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

While the plan could certainly be more dense, I think it's pretty good overall. Love the parkland along the riverfront, it's a huge plus!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:41 PM
Eurosceptic

Looks generic and suburban... massively disappointing considering its immediate adjacency to Downtown. Would be more appropriate in say... O'Hara Township.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:50 PM
BANNED

I love that Pittsburgh is finally getting serious about utilizing the Strip and developing all those lots... and getting some residential development on the riverfront (that's only taken what?... like 30 years?).

Though considering its location, I would have hoped for MUCH more height and density. The Strip is the only fully-accessible, ground-level "gateway" into downtown, so the area provides a real opportunity to spur much greater development and activity (residential and otherwise) in downtown Pittsburgh. And a big, lower density development like this just seems to automatically stifle some of that potential in favor of what looks to be another one of those "urban lifestyle centres".

Connections to the riverfront with the linear park/promenade and the situation of the condo buildings to the river is important, but agree with Evergrey that the whole development plan seems out of place and "cookie-cutter".

And I still fail to see the necessity of tearing 1/3 of the terminal building down for this design.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:03 PM

Those horrible faux townhouses are going to look as out of place as they do in the Hill District and East Liberty. It's a shame anyone could think that those look appropriate in an urban environment.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:43 PM
Eurosceptic

I think Pittsburgh... from an urban development standpoint... is still traumatized by the steel collapse... and this is another example of a safe, unimaginative project that aims to appeal to mid-20th century suburban sensibilities... squandering the massive potential of the site.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 7:52 PM

Downtown has a bookstore again?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210120-44.stm

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:35 PM

The amount of surface parking in the strip district plan is disgusting. The architecture itself isn't half bad.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 10:13 PM

I don't know... the scale of the proposed development fits within the context of the Strip District. A larger more modern development might not look appropriate next to all the other brick warehouse buildings.

I would imagine there would almost have to be some structured parking with this plan. Parking decks are expensive and don't really add anything from an investment standpoint.

Buncher has never really been about great design or cutting edge development. They are a very steak & potatoes developer that is mostly concerned with return on investment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations