HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:00 AM

Spent many a weekends at Ruby Skye in San Francisco when I lived there. Should be great. While Bob Shallit predicts that several nightclubs will close in 2009, I don't really see that happening. Most Sacramento nightclubs, unlike many in SF, are not strictly 100% nightclubs. They usually sustain themselves with lunch/dinner offerings as regular restaurants too.

My only problem with all this nightclubs opening up is that most are upscale night clubs. This new place will now join Mix, Social and Tre that have opened in the last several months. Drink prices at many of the new places borders on ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 4:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Spent many a weekends at Ruby Skye in San Francisco when I lived there. Should be great. While Bob Shallit predicts that several nightclubs will close in 2009, I don't really see that happening. Most Sacramento nightclubs, unlike many in SF, are not strictly 100% nightclubs. They usually sustain themselves with lunch/dinner offerings as regular restaurants too.

My only problem with all this nightclubs opening up is that most are upscale night clubs. This new place will now join Mix, Social and Tre that have opened in the last several months. Drink prices at many of the new places borders on ridiculous.
Man, I completely agree with everything you stated here. I don't think any clubs are going to close either, maybe one but it seems that when one closes someone opens up a new one in the same location. How many times has that club on K street changed names? Buddha Bar to Cabana, and I think it was something else before that. I was out Saturday evening, and I know everyone says "Oh, it was second Saturday, that's why the streets and clubs where crowded." I do not believe that, we now have almost 2 million people living in the Sacramento area, and now the area is happening and there is a great nightlife and we have grown up. For some reason, especially for the people who have lived here for most of their lives, they still can't see it and make the same complaints about Sacramento that were valid to say 10 years ago. People who move here for the first time, love it and say its very cool and happening, I wish many of us would (not many of us on this forum but people I know and meet around town) realize how great this place is now and stop the San Francisco comparisons especially when it comes to nightlife. Thanks for reading my rant.

Edit: And if any of you have not been to the Citizen Hotel yet, go inside and have a drink and look around. Go to the 2nd floor lounge and order a "Juan and Only", from Juan the bartender if you are not driving. The Citizen is a great example of how grown up Sacramento is now.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 5:13 AM

Ruby Sky would be great. There is a need for a large dance club like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS
My only problem with all this nightclubs opening up is that most are upscale night clubs
Ditto. I love that we've seen more of those around Sac, but I'd like to see more of the Pub's and Shady Lady type places as well.

Something nice, but not "upscale" like The Park, Social or MIX. If Devere and The Shady Lady turn out like I think they will, I plan on making sure I spend my money there to support them and help show there is a market for something else other than just upscale "Ultra" lounges.

I walked by Devere's yesterday and I love the way it looks from the outside. (Open to the public on the 30th). The Shady Lady is also coming along nicely as well.

I love this line from the Devere's menu:
Desserts
You’re in a Pub! See our drink menu!

Taken from the website:

Plus, with all the lounges, clubs and bars that are opening up, we've been starting to see many more late night food options.

Last edited by sugit; Jan 13, 2009 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 1:21 PM

I've also walked past Deveres on the way to Mix and The Grand. Certainly going to be a good place to go down a pint or so. I think Devere and Mix are both having a joint grand opening on Jan 22. Mix already had a soft opening on NYE. That block should be pretty hopping once all the other restaurants are completed and open.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 6:35 PM
Kodachrome

Marcos Bretón: Eateries up in arms over proposed city subsidy
Sacramento Bee
Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009

History has known a "War of the Roses" and a "Battle of the Bulge."

In Sacramento, some of our city's finest restaurateurs are massing to block a group of hot new bars proposed for a depressed area of K Street Mall.

We'll call this "The Fight of the Foodies."

Involved is Mason Wong, owner of Mason's – which graces the corner of 15th and L streets. Next to him is Ernesto Jimenez, owner of Ernesto's and Zocalo – possibly the finest Mexican restaurant in the capital city.

And Randy Paragary – a Don Corleone to Sacramento food barons – is mixed up in all this, but his position seems to change daily.

Last week The Bee detailed the business angle of this brouhaha. The city is considering a $5.4 million subsidy to secure entertainment venues for a struggling area near the corner of 10th and K streets.

San Francisco nightclub owner George Karpaty is poised to move in. There is talk of a dance spot for the over-30 crowd, a high-end pizza place and a modern take on the "dive bar" concept.

Opponents object that in a perilous economy, the city will subsidize competition against them.

But this is about more than mere business.

"The city might damage hospitality offerings in other parts of town in favor of K Street," said Rob Kerth, executive director of the Midtown Business Association.

Ah, Sacramento politics. It always includes a neighborhood skirmish. In this case, midtown eateries (which have flourished while downtown has languished) are seemingly unmoved by a righteous push to clean up a blighted stretch of downtown.

A vibrant downtown Sacramento is in everyone's interest – that's what local pols always say.

This is headed for a City Council vote March 3. It will be interesting to see how Mayor Kevin Johnson handles the dispute.

Mason Wong was a big supporter of Johnson's mayoral campaign. Developer David Taylor – who would bring Karpaty to Sacramento – supported Johnson's opponent – former Mayor Heather Fargo.

"I don't like being in the middle of a controversy," Taylor said. "I don't like being the bad guy."

Taylor is not the bad guy, and the disgruntled restaurateurs have reasonable arguments. They've worked hard to make Sacramento better.

But you can't vote down needed development because you fear competition – that's un-American. And you can't approve Karpaty's bid, then prevent construction of other downtown bars and restaurants – another bad idea now kicking around City Hall.

So far, Mayor Johnson has been great at press conferences and CNN appearances.

However, on this issue, it's time for him to become a real leader and do what's right.

Sacramento needs more bars – more activity – downtown. These days, who doesn't need a drink?

http://www.sacbee.com/breton/story/1643330.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 7:08 PM

Magpie Cafe and Market is open at 14th and R Street. I had lunch there yesterday...really really good food, and they have Monkey Knife Fight on tab!

Shady Lady I believe is opening this weekend and Burgers and Brew I think will open in the next week or so.

I had a chance to take a peek inside Burgers and Brew...ridiculous good beer selection. One of the best I've seen in Sac.

Lots of good beers on tap, tons of Belgian beers, lots of Japanese beers (I saw at least four styles of Hitachino) you don't find in many places. The prices were very fair as well. This place could be dangerous to me....

I have a feeling that block is going to be another cool hangout block in downtown.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:22 PM

Damn it! So many new places to grab a bite and beer and so little discetionary income. A good problem to have.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:52 PM

Shady Lady is opening this Thursday. Burgers and Brew for 2nd Saturday, maybe the day before.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 4:30 PM
West bench livin'

Anyone been to Hot Italiano on 16th yet? I'm tempted the next time I visit Blood Source to walk across the street and grab a pie...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 5:09 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Anyone been to Hot Italiano on 16th yet? I'm tempted the next time I visit Blood Source to walk across the street and grab a pie...
I've been there, not bad, friendly staff. It's definitely worth a visit.

But, I didn't see Torani Italian Sodas on the menu for the alcoholically-challenged.

An Italian place in California should serve Torani I would think... being that its a Northern Cal/Italian family creation.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 2:23 PM

Sacramento Restaurants, Nightlife and Entertainment

Sacramento isn't known for its nightlife, but there are still plenty of fun places to go after dark. Many of the restaurants in Old Sacramento and the rest of the city have live entertainment at least twice a week. Where there is no live music, there's often a DJ, who may be playing anything from salsa to country and swing. (Many clubs feature a different kind of music each night.) Cover charges are generally nonexistent or very reasonable. Clubs usually close 1-2 am and many late-night establishments aren't open Sunday nights.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 3:52 PM
Hindrance to Development

No live music? Normally there are many live shows every day of the week. In Old Sacramento alone there are a couple places to see live bands, whether it's the cover band on the Delta King or whatever touring show NorCal Wendy has booked at the Speakeasy Lounge, and that's just in a few square blocks.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
Got Good Grub?

Went to Burgers and Brew last night - had a great meal. Had the Jalapeno Bacon Cheeseburger and an Allegash Stout and Brother Thelonious Ale. Great food and beer selection...great add to the neighborhood.

Also checked out the Shady Lady last night - looks great inside, though they're still waiting to get their entertainment license so they can have live music on the nice stage they constructed.

Both are great additions to the neighborhood and I definitely plan on spending more time around this area now.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 11:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
No live music? Normally there are many live shows every day of the week. In Old Sacramento alone there are a couple places to see live bands, whether it's the cover band on the Delta King or whatever touring show NorCal Wendy has booked at the Speakeasy Lounge, and that's just in a few square blocks.
Please Wburg, PLEASE! Do not call that crap they played on the Delta King music! For the love of God!
Wendy does not book at Speakeasy Lounge anymore, she books at a club in Citrus Heights called "The Fire Escape".

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 5:07 AM
Hindrance to Development

econgrad: Okay, I don't care for the Delta King's house band either, and didn't know Wendy wasn't booking the Speakeasy anymore...point being, "criminallawyer" seemed under the impression that there was no live music in Sacramento. I can't necessarily vouch for the quality of all the live music in Sacramento, but it certainly does exist. Maybe they didn't get out of Old Sacramento?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 6:18 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
econgrad: Okay, I don't care for the Delta King's house band either, and didn't know Wendy wasn't booking the Speakeasy anymore...point being, "criminallawyer" seemed under the impression that there was no live music in Sacramento. I can't necessarily vouch for the quality of all the live music in Sacramento, but it certainly does exist. Maybe they didn't get out of Old Sacramento?
Oh I agree! I was just joking with you in a friendly way..

The Wendy booking info was just info.

Last edited by econgrad; Apr 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

Right on then...the Fire Escape is a decent place to see bands, even if it is in a strip mall waaay out in the burbs. For a while there Wendy was booking some great shows in Old Sac. These days, there are so many great live shows going on in Midtown that I miss half of it, especially now that the gaggle of locals that went to SxSW are back home with extra buzz.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 8:43 PM
Closed account

Cheap local shows create priceless memories

The local music scene provides one of the most economical forms of entertainment in Sacramento. Times are tough; money is tight. Almost everyone is feeling the affects of this recession from the white-collar to the blue-collar worker. As the unemployment rate climbs and more businesses shut down or scale back every day, one constant remains: You can still catch great live music for $10 or less every weekend in Sacramento.

Attending a live show is a unique experience, one in which you are up-close and personal with the band, where you are part of a select few who get to be involved in local history witnessing a young band play its first show, a veteran band celebrate its 10th anniversary, or even a particularly talented band play its last local show before they go on a country-wide tour and gain national notoriety. For less than the cost of most movies, sporting events, dances, dinners, nights out bowling or mini golfing, you gain the bragging rights of, "I knew them when..."

Bragging rights aside, local bands play for bargain prices. On an average Friday night, the all-ages crowd has three solid options to serve their local music needs. Downtown at The Java Lounge, you can see four bands in an intimate setting for only $6. If your math skills are lacking, that's only $2 a band. Those seeking a larger venue with a more professional setup can head out to Orangevale, pay $10 and see Sacramento's better-known bands grace the stages of Club Retro or The Boardwalk.

The 21-plus crowd has more options with the many bars downtown such as Old Ironsides, The Distillery, The Blue Lamp, and Fox and Goose. Fox and Goose has shows for as low as $1 a band. In suburbia, there's The Fire Escape in Citrus Heights, with shows as low as $5, The Power House Pub in Folsom, host to KWOD's free shows on Wednesdays, as well as The Stag in Woodland and many small bars in Old Roseville. The options aren't endless, but they provide a solid selection from which to choose.

With the money you save from skipping that 3-D movie or game of glow bowling, you can buy a drink at the bar, a CD or T-shirt from the band, or save it for gas money. If you're looking to stretch your dollar, you should be looking for the next local show.

Admission to local music show: $8
Singing along to your favorite songs: Free
Listening as new songs are debuted: Free
Dancing with a bunch of sweaty strangers: Free
Getting that cute guy or girl's number: Free
Leaving with the memory of all the above: Priceless

Author: Laura Winn
Laura Winn is an Examiner from Sacramento. You can see Laura's articles on Laura's Home Page.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 4:02 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
Downtown at The Java Lounge, you can see four bands in an intimate setting for only $6. If your math skills are lacking, that's only $2 a band.
Forgive me if my math skills are lacking, but I think that equates to $1.50 per band.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 5:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefiresacto View Post
Forgive me if my math skills are lacking, but I think that equates to $1.50 per band.
I didn't write that article!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area