HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
No worse than building a mall there in the first place, though they better put in good sound insulation as the site is literally run under the flight path.

To SFUVancouver's point, yes it would have been much better to include theatres as part of a Landowne Mall redevelopment, given that it has it own C-Line station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Something doesn't add up. If we are buildings all these new movie theaters they must be making money, yet movie producers to who these profits ultimately flow to claim hardship due to downloading their crap?

How many new movie theaters would this make? New Westminster Azure, Marine Drive, Tssawassen(?sure they will have ones in that big of a mall), this Outlet Mall, .............sure there is more in the suburbs I dont know of.
there was a plan probably more than 10 years ago now to build a movie theatre and playdium across the street - to the east of Lansdowne mall, it never went through, playdium went bankrupt and silvercity built out at steveston, the site is now condos

with the loss of the theatres at richmond centre they really could use a new theatre somewhere along the canada line or "downtown" richmond

as for movies - the theatres make the money on food, i was reading recently than studios will usually keep anywhere from 90-100% of movie tickets the first couple of weeks and as time progresses the theatre themselves get to keep a bigger portion of the tickets sales eventually reaching 100% of sales if the movie is a few months old - thats why the bigger theatres seem to play some older movies for so long - so if you wanna support a theatre its better to go when the movie has been out a while and they can keep more of the ticket sales

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 10:21 PM

The bigger question is what theatre chain will operate it?
Marine Gateway will be Cineplex - so it won't be them.
Empire Theatres - how are they doing? They closed Oakridge and there was talk of the Granville 7 being closed.
Cinemark fled Canada when it sold International Village Tinseltown to Cineplex.

Festival Cinemas?
AMC?

I agree that No. 3 Rd. needs a movie complex. It'll have to be a chain other than Cineplex.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:30 AM

Time for some Coquitlam updates!

Oasis and Grand Central 2 as viewed from the Coquitlam Centre overflow lot:

Not to sure what's going on with those green panels on the podium of Oasis but I'm not a fan. This seems to be a trend by Onni (remember a few days ago when we were all whining about the spandrel-fest on the podium of The Mark?):

At least it can't be accused of being a stubby tower:

The office building really gives this corner of Glen and Pacific Avenue quite the urban feel:

Looking down Glen:

The excavation of the M2 site is now in full-swing, as M1 is pretty much complete:

Sadly, despite all this residential action, the state of the new retail in the area isn't keeping up. I should have counted just for kicks, but at least 75% of all the new retail spaces in the area have become hair salons or dental offices. The area's only cafe (and quite a good one) was recently squeezed out by skyrocketing property values increasing the amount of tax they have to pay - its replacement: a pharmacy/medical clinic. NCIX, Urban Gate (a fantastic Persian restaurant/grocery store), Kin's Farm Market, a Korean restaurant, and a cupcake place are the only non hair/dental business to survive. It might help if developers stopped building all the retail on spec (some of them are quite unhappy about building any commercial space at all, and are just doing the bare minimum required by the city), and also if property taxes for businesses in the area are frozen at 2011 levels to prevent them from being pounded by the property value hikes which will only increase in intensity as the Evergreen Line nears. Or we might just have to wait until the mall redevelops and integrates into the Town Centre area.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 1:49 AM

The mall is a real killer. Even Metrotown, with over 25 000 people in a 1 square mile area, still has no interesting retail strip.

Looking at the massive parking area of Coquitlam Center on Google Earth, it looks like you could put at least 10 towers in there. And then follow the same plan as Brentwood where you would create a new market street along the current parking lot driveway with retail at the bottom of the new towers and retail facing outwards from a redeveloped mall.

It's the wave of the future for suburbia!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

The mall is a real killer. Even Metrotown, with over 25 000 people in a 1 square mile area, still has no interesting retail strip.

Looking at the massive parking area of Coquitlam Center on Google Earth, it looks like you could put at least 10 towers in there. And then follow the same plan as Brentwood where you would create a new market street along the current parking lot driveway with retail at the bottom of the new towers and retail facing outwards from a redeveloped mall.

Too many condos there in place and in need of rapid transit before it gets better.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 5:44 AM

its a slow process, takes time, at least there is retail in many of the spots, can't expect much in there anyway, NCIX was a nice score though, the library whenever it moves will hopefully help bring some people to the area even though its only moving a couple blocks

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 6:39 AM

Onni have finally released a rendering of their next tower at Victoria Hill and it looks pretty darn attractive, especially considering their last tower (The Carlyle) is quite possibly the least inspired tower of the decade!

http://onni.com/parkside/architecture/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 4:52 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

We've seen renderings / plans (a long time ago) where the type of development in the pictures above in place at The High Street north of Coquitlam Centre would come to surround it entirely over a number of years. So city hall there would agree with you in the long term. As it has been said, after the Evergreen line, it can be expected to happen.

As for metrotown, when I emailed a question about Metrotower III to the developer, I asked if they were considering building the mall out to Kingsway with residential towers, etc and they replied that there is more room on the property for high rise development.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The bigger question is what theatre chain will operate it?
Marine Gateway will be Cineplex - so it won't be them.
Empire Theatres - how are they doing? They closed Oakridge and there was talk of the Granville 7 being closed.
Cinemark fled Canada when it sold International Village Tinseltown to Cineplex.

Festival Cinemas?
AMC?

I agree that No. 3 Rd. needs a movie complex. It'll have to be a chain other than Cineplex.
it could be empire, i know when cineplex and famous players merged they had to sell off a number of locations because they were not allowed to have so many theatres in the area, (lower mainland etc) thats why famous players at guildford became empire and the cineplex on granville became empire

empire seems to do well in eastern canada where it is from, unfortunately they got some pretty crappy theatres and locations in vancouver other than guildford the rest are old rundown and not appealing

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkat View Post
Is this road within YVR's jurisdiction?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...12,179.46,,0,0

Any plans on it being extended further south to link with Russ Baker Way?
What do you envision for this road (which is Templeton)? Is Russ Baker Way not meeting that traffic flow?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:14 AM

Found a high-res rendering of the upcoming Victoria Hill tower (from Onni's Facebook page)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:28 AM

I like it. It's not so pointing like every other tower built

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 2:53 AM

I like it too - it looks a bit art deco with the steps and proportions.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:25 PM
Website Manager

Here's something I found for Langley.

La Masia - 19209 Fraser Highway - http://www.goodmanreport.com/listings/1017

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:37 PM
Website Manager

I was in Vancouver on Sunday and from Stanley Park I could see a tower crane set up in the strip of highrises along the water in West Vancouver. Does anyone know what project that is for?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post

Yeah, the sign for this went up on site a week or two ago...I meant to take a pic and post it but I kinda forgot...

It's technically in Surrey, not Langley, as it's a few blocks west of 196th St. Really interesting proposal for a pretty awkward lot.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Found a high-res rendering of the upcoming Victoria Hill tower (from Onni's Facebook page)

It's called "Parkside" apparently.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 4:36 AM

a lot of trees at lougheed mall - along their north road side have all been clearcut - i wonder if its evergreen related or in the plan lougheed has to put up condo towers along there....

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post

That is definitely not what I would have expected to go in that lot. I imagine that the noise on that corner would be difficult to live with, but the building itself looks nice.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:07 AM

Driving eastbound on the 91 in Richmond today looking north toward Metrotown I could clearly make out the cranes for the Sovereign, Metroplace, and Chancellor (couldn't make out Metrower III). Wish I could've taken a pic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley