HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 8:01 PM
the first stamp is free

^ buildings like this get sold with tons of conditions. If it is roofing inspectors, it may just be part of the due-diligence to satisfy the conditions of sale.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 10:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ buildings like this get sold with tons of conditions. If it is roofing inspectors, it may just be part of the due-diligence to satisfy the conditions of sale.
what would these lists usualy consist of?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Another possibility is the current owner putting on some (last minute before winter) patches to keep the water out for another year.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 6:05 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Noticed the building at 284 (?) William Ave (east of the Subway) has had the boards removed from the lower windows and work has started.

Anyone know what is going in there?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 11:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

being cleaned up for a perspective tenit and a bunch of work to please the city. the owner has been heating it all these yrs roofs still good even
or thats what one of the worker bees told me

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:22 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows of any new rumblings or interest with the Pumphouse or James/Lily parkade? The Pumphouse highrise rendering came out this summer and nothing more since.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows of any new rumblings or interest with the Pumphouse or James/Lily parkade? The Pumphouse highrise rendering came out this summer and nothing more since.
All the projects in the area are hinging on the parkade announcement. The City and Province will be putting out a new joint RFP for development any day now.

We will have to be patient until the parkade fiasco is figured out, then it will be a race for the 4 or 5 bigger developments to get out of the gate first. Until then I don't think you will hear much of anything on any of the projects.

Streetside - District Condo's - 80 units in existing heritage buildings
Streetside - District Condo's - 60 units in a new 8 storey on James and Lily
KNH Sawatsky - Loftworks - 80 units in a new 8 storey on James and Bertha
James Ave Pumping Station - 150 units in a new 24 storey building
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:49 PM

It's somehow hilarious that all of this private sector development activity is hinging on one publicly-funded parkade.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ condos with parking sell. Condos without parking don't. It's the reality in Winnipeg.

There is no current economic model possible to make 3 or 4 storey 100 year old warehouses work as condos while attempting to provide on site, underground parking (i.e. converting the basements into parking a la Ashdown Warehouse).

Therefore, if you want warehouse condo conversions to succeed, you need parking somewhere close.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:27 PM

I don't dispute the point re: project economics, but it is certainly tougher to criticize new suburban developments for requiring new non-road infrastructure like community centres, libraries and parks at public expense when new downtown condo developments can't proceed without publicly-funded parkades.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:32 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't dispute the point re: project economics, but it is certainly tougher to criticize new suburban developments for requiring new non-road infrastructure like community centres, libraries and parks at public expense when new downtown condo developments can't proceed without publicly-funded parkades.
Why does this have to be publicly funded? Why can't the Province just sell their parking lot to a developer and have him build a parkade?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed. But what it should highlight, is that public money is required to grease the wheels of development regardless of where it is going.

I would argue that attempting to kick start a residential area, in an area of the city with no real impetus for further, private investment - such as the east exchange - should be expected to require a little more grease. I am fine with it personally. But I can understand that others would not.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 3:00 PM

The Mere Boutique Hotel and the adjoining Cibo Waterfront Cafe scheduled to open Dec.15th.

Image Source

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 6:54 PM
BANNED

from winnipegsun.com

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post

from winnipegsun.com
Nice pic of the completed project, It'll be nice to see the landscaping additions in the new year.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:50 PM

I'm looking forward to having the restaurant across the street, and hopefully some more people walking around at all times.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 AM

Nice! Will definitely check out the restaurant.

Seems kinda funny to have this type of waterfront spot opening in the dead of winter...I think the summer vibe will be much nicer. Maybe its just the rendering's green grass and blue (not murky red!) water that's making me long for summer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Seems kinda funny to have this type of waterfront spot opening in the dead of winter...I think the summer vibe will be much nicer.
I would guess that's FWS's fault. I don't think it was supposed to be completed in the dead of winter.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:41 PM

I think this restaurant will be an absolute gem based on location alone. I'm pleased to hear the plan is to provide breakfast, lunch, dinner and also open late night. As a future resident of James Ave, I will definitely be checking this place out...maybe often.

Not withstanding, if they can provide a successful menu, it will bring more ongoing foot traffic to Waterfront Dr. not unlike what's happening over on Bannatyne with its restaurants. I see nothing but good coming from the Mere and Cibo Cafe. Here's to success

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 5:52 PM

Lots of opposition to the height variance for the Pumping Station proposal. Over 360 signatures and comments:

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-...share_petition

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan