HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: Will you be attending the Bow Flow 2011?
Yes I will (have my latte all ready to go). 14 42.42%
No I won't. 7 21.21%
You've ruined my Sunday commute! 2 6.06%
Buncha NIMBY's and hippies. SILLY HALL! 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 4:38 AM
Inflatable Hippo

The sand would be gone inside of 10-15 minutes.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:14 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
The sand would be gone inside of 10-15 minutes.
Where? at the weir, on the area that is all dirt? Im not talking about spilling it into the river, whoops, didn't clarify that! You would know what I had meant about adding sand if you have payed a visit the weir in person. Some sand would be nice...or sod and sand together.

On topic of the weir in general, the island at the weir is quite an impressive size. I have been on it. The view of the large rapid and the large "rock" in the middle where all of the bird fly to is very soothing. You should go take a look.

I am bringing a bag of sand and dumping it at the wier, just because!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 7:12 PM

I will be there for sure. I want to do whatever I can to help it flourish, because the more it flourishes, the more it pisses off those idiots that complain about the road closure

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Tim View Post
I will be there for sure. I want to do whatever I can to help it flourish, because the more it flourishes, the more it pisses off those idiots that complain about the road closure
As one of those idiots who think this is a lameass idea, I'd love nothing more for this festival to be huge. Unfortunately, up to this point, it's just been a vanity project for Druh and is a waste of money and city resources. One can only hope that this will be the year it goes big and more people end up enjoying it than are inconvenienced by it.

BTW, I'm sure you're not one, but your comment kind of makes you sound like a latte sipping douchebag.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:50 AM

Was down at Prince's Island and Eau Claire today, and there were definitely a lot more people there because of the BRF, anyone go to the main part on Memorial?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:54 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Went down today with the family. My dad actually rode his bike down from Blue Ridge Estates up by Tuscany to join us.

We had a fun time riding along the route (even though we had to keep stopping to get Littletime to wear her helmet) and seeing all the stuff setup for everyone. Spent a lot of time at the kids area, with the bouncy castle, bubbles, and many other toys.

I came back down during nap time (2-4) and rode the whole route plus chilled out around some of the stages listening to the bands performing. It was a very nice way to spend some time on a gorgeous August day.

The only thing I could suggest is trying to get more kiosks of stuff down there, especially for food offerings. I know they are trying to stay away from it but you really do need to offer some to get more people down.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:58 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
BTW, I'm sure you're not one, but your comment kind of makes you sound like a latte sipping douchebag.
I thought this festival was for the wheat grass juice sipping douchebags?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:38 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

The crowd seemed bigger last year or maybe that was just my perception because of how spread out it was. That said- GREAT acts at the tiny CJSW "stage" including my new hero(ine), Laura Leif. What a great talent.

Here are a few pics. all taken by me:

1. The lower deck of the Centre St Bridge was closed to motorized traffic which was extremely cool to experience. South entrance:

2. North entrance:

3. The CJSW stage-let with the amazing Laura Leif:

4. The flow on Memorial, around 12:30p:

Last edited by Rusty van Reddick; Aug 22, 2011 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 AM

The crowd was definitely bigger than last year. Still has a ways to go, but these things take time. I suspect it'll even be better when the Peace Bridge is done and there isn't any construction in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
The crowd seemed bigger last year or maybe that was just my perception because of how spread out it was. That said- GREAT acts at the tiny CJSW "stage" including my new hero(ine), Laura Leif. What a great talent.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 1:15 AM
Construction Enthusiast

I think the herald said 10,000 people, double what last year got.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I think the herald said 10,000 people, double what last year got.
In today's paper they said that 10,000 was a most generous estimate and that number included regular users of the path system.

Thanks to Bigtime for the article.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...292/story.html

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 8:53 PM

Personally I think they should cancel it, it's not really very popular, and if they aren't going to allow vendors, what's the point? there's already a pathway that's well used, so it's not like they are really promoting something that doesn't exist already.

They should move it to Eau Claire / Riverfront Ave if they are determined to have a street party along the river. I'm betting more people were in Eau Claire that day than on Memorial anyway.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Personally I think they should cancel it, it's not really very popular, and if they aren't going to allow vendors, what's the point? there's already a pathway that's well used, so it's not like they are really promoting something that doesn't exist already.

They should move it to Eau Claire / Riverfront Ave if they are determined to have a street party along the river. I'm betting more people were in Eau Claire that day than on Memorial anyway.
Not sure if it needs to be canceled, but it really should be relocated to the south side of the river. Riverfront down to East Village is the perfect location for it. Unlike Sunnyside and Kensington, the East Village needs to the exposure.

Not allowing vendors sounds like something godless commies would do.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:02 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I think they'll look into the lack of food vendors issue.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Not sure if it needs to be canceled, but it really should be relocated to the south side of the river. Riverfront down to East Village is the perfect location for it. Unlike Sunnyside and Kensington, the East Village needs to the exposure.

Not allowing vendors sounds like something godless commies would do.
Actually that's a good idea, have an EV street party to help promote it, and have it connect through Chinatown into Eau Claire.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:25 PM
The City That Moves

I think the event itself has merit, but that it should be relocated as well to somewhere it will have a smaller impact on traffic. I also think it would be cool if the event was also tied into river activities like kayaking, rafting or dragonboating and emphasis was on celebration of the natural environment.

When I am out about on my bike commuting to work I am always looking for opportunities to share the road with motorists and create a more positive and safe environment for everyone.

The following website is City Repair Calgary.
http://cityrepaircalgary.com/

I think that also the Bow Flow could be transformed into a placemaking event. i.e.: cob bench building, community gardening and street\infrastructure painting...

To create a great event needs to be respectful of those using major road and for that reason should be relocated...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 9:29 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

William Hamilton (SSP forumer, transit guru, and Green Party YYC candidate) put this up on Facebook today:

Quote:
This Is My Last Statement of Support for the Bow River Flow

Folks, I need to put this point out for discussion and on the record. I've had it. This is my last statement of support for the Bow River Flow.

I have been vocal in past years in defending the Arusha Centre's right to stage an event on the banks of Calgary's Bow River that showcases one of our city's primary natural assets and opens up the eastbound lanes of Memorial Drive to pedestrians, cyclists, and other partaking in what they quaintly describe as "human-powered transportation". In 2009, Mike Blanchard was gracious enough to host me on QR77's Calgary Today as I spoke in support of the inaugural Bow River Flow. In 2010, I defended the Bow River Flow in an op-ed in the pages of The Calgary Sun, and I can assure all of you that *that* experience was an adventure. In 2011, I took in the expanded and extended version of the Bow River Flow, and had a wonderful time meeting people, seeing the sights, and cooking myself medium-rare in a glorious, horrible blaze of late August sunshine.

It's been three years, Arusha, and you know what? You're on your own.

You've had three years now to unite Calgarians around a civic celebration of the Bow River, the clear waters, the green spaces, and the gift of nature that by Providence the people of this great city have had the good sense to nurture and cherish. What have you given us in return? Constant streams of stewing, rubbernecking crosstown motorists who you didn't have the wits to ask the City of Calgary to divert through empty downtown streets on a lazy Sunday afternoon. An impoverished vision of trading an automotive expressway for a bicyclists' expressway that locks out the families, friends, and merchants who could offer services, destinations, and reasons for Calgarians to come to the Bow River Flow and, more importantly, to come back. A constant and consistent pattern of conduct towards local politicians, the media, and even your erstwhile supporters that makes you look like the 98-pound patsy even the geeks want to stuff into a locker.

Like I said, I've had it. And I mean it.

Bringing Calgarians together around the banks of the Bow River for one simple, single, solitary summer Sunday afternoon should by every formula in the book be a no-brainer. The evidence that the Bow River Flow has presented since 2009 is simple proof to me that the Arusha Centre just doesn't have the brains for the job. I'll come to the next Bow River Flow if it happens, but not because the Bow River Flow is important to me any more--but because the Bow River is.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 10:03 PM

Who is William Hamilton on here? I'm pretty sure I know, but am not 100% sure.

Either way, sounds like the Bow Flow lost one of it's biggest supporters....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:25 PM

It has been and continues to be a dumb idea to use Memorial Drive.

Better locations were suggested at the start and pointedly ignored.

This event has been built around a "shove it in your face" attitude.

The fact that anyone who just happens to be using the pathway is counted as an "Attendee" makes the low turnout even more laughable.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 6:09 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

The Chinatown centennial last year where the closed the Centre St Bridge was absolutely amazing- one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in this city, fest-wise.

It would be great if any street fair- bow flow, whatever- could duplicate that.

Not allowing merchants is just moronic. I was wondering why, even in the Chinatown section, there was NOTHING to eat. Not a crumb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation