HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
I totally respect Boise. When I was growing up it was like...ehhhhhh. Boise followers that are so defensive. Boise is going to be major in the Mountain Weat. What you have todo is chill. Boise is 50 to 75 years behind many of the cities. Not in totally being in hip and understading but in generating a center and major urban core. It is going to happen and sooner than later. Chill out, the 20 story is not going to do it either. However, that is a cool looking business and it is a major start.

You can say or try to piss me off on any of this but I remember going to BOise with my family and thinking ehhhhhh. Now when I see Boise,I see one of the very cool things.

A major city in the makings.
While I agree that Boise is a major city in the making (it has grown up SO much in the last 20 years), I have a hard time making sense of whatever it is you are trying to get on point.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
LOL. What city did you live in again when you were growing up that you thought Boise was ehhhhh? Was that city you grew up in really that cool way back then?
It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. I grew up in Pocatello and we took a field trip to downtown Pocatello when I was in second-grade. We got to ride a real 'city' bus and take a walking tour of the old buildings. I distinctly remember asking my teacher if the 'Hotel Yellowstone' was as tall as the Empire State Building, because at the time I thought it was the tallest building I'd ever seen. (its not even the tallest building in downtown Pocatello)

You can't even imagine what a metropolis Boise was to me when we went there on our 4th-grade field trip....

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:32 PM

This would be very appropriate for this thread--someone uploaded KBOI footage of the Eastman Building burning down and being demolished. I did not know that the arch entryway was supposedly saved--I don't know where that is now, but I really hope that it still exists and that it gets put to good use some day!

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 12:47 AM

Thank you so much for the find City of Trees! I may just have to add it to the page of the thread.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:24 AM

Gardner plans a groundbreaking ceremony March 19 and will begin construction that day on the property, which it bought for $2.9 million from Capps Holding LLC, he said.

Any word on if the groundbreaking occurred today?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Major bummer on the height.
It is, but I like to think of it as a first domino. Before we know it, there will 3-4 bigger building going up. Just gotta make sure this one clears the way

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:07 AM

They were quick to get the names of the new tenants added to the signage. Also notice the scaffolding up on neighboring building.

Also, for those that have an IBR subscription there is an interesting article on their site regarding a second restaurant at 8th and Main. Evidently owned by the same family that owns Cheerleaders, but targeted a bit more upscale. I won't link here because it is copyrighted and requires a subscription, but the story doesn't go into a lot of detail other than what I mentioned above.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodo_business View Post
They were quick to get the names of the new tenants added to the signage. Also notice the scaffolding up on neighboring building.

Also, for those that have an IBR subscription there is an interesting article on their site regarding a second restaurant at 8th and Main. Evidently owned by the same family that owns Cheerleaders, but targeted a bit more upscale. I won't link here because it is copyrighted and requires a subscription, but the story doesn't go into a lot of detail other than what I mentioned above.
I heard about that too. Isn't Cheerleaders going into that building being renovated by Ann Morrison Park? Hopefully they create something different and unique for the Zions tower...remember Tapas Estrella? fabulous.... what downtown does not need is another pub, we already have a lot of great pubs with a few more on tap to open by summer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I heard about that too. Isn't Cheerleaders going into that building being renovated by Ann Morrison Park? Hopefully they create something different and unique for the Zions tower...remember Tapas Estrella? fabulous.... what downtown does not need is another pub, we already have a lot of great pubs with a few more on tap to open by summer.
Yes, Cheerleaders is going in across from BSU and near the entrance to Ann Morrison. Never have been a huge fan, but do frequent the one out on Eagle Rd. a couple of times a year. I would agree, I hope that they come up with a unique concept. It mentioned that they planned on having breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Seemed like an awful lot to bite off to me and still do it well. We shall see I guess.

I hadn't thought about Tapas Estrella in a long time. One of the few Boise restaurants that made you feel like you were in a much bigger city. I did a lot of business entertaining there. Over the years we have lost a number of very nice establishments. Remember Amore'?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:03 PM

That was a good place, there are a few that have closed in past years I really miss, but new restaurants always seem to replace the ones that dwindled. The people who owned Tapas Estrella run Salt Tears and Noshery out at Collister and they serve tapas.... I am hoping they bring the concept downtown in the near future. I miss Andrae's (used to be on Bannock in the basement by The Hoff) too but Cafe Vicino is just as good or better than A's was.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:56 PM

We do have a number of good replacements and successors, but over the last few years seem to be missing signature type establishments that you aren't ashamed to send out of town friends to. I suppose that is a function of the economy, but I do hope it eventually recovers.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 12:52 AM

no wonder I didn't see the scaffolding at night! It's covered by a black tarp like thing. I wonderwhy they only put it up in only in that one area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Demolition of the Boise Tower foundation will be underway soon! This appears to be the latest rendering... 18 floors? And the article quotes 15 floors?

http://www.idahopress.com/news/treas...=image&photo=1

Oi vey, the number of floors has turned into such a mystery for me... I don't know who to believe anymore, LOL.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 12:15 AM

That "Holland & Hart" sign is new, right? If so, maybe we're getting closer to the final rendering.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:45 AM

Wouldn't it be great if Ruth's Chris was located at one of the top floors? I'd go just for the view!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:40 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Demolition of the Boise Tower foundation will be underway soon!

I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question, but why do they need to take out the foundation? If the foundation was set up to support a highrise, then how come it won't work for the Zions Bank Tower? Is it damaged?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb question, but why do they need to take out the foundation? If the foundation was set up to support a highrise, then how come it won't work for the Zions Bank Tower? Is it damaged?
I'm sure the foundation needs to be designed for the specific needs of the building. When the Boise Tower was scrapped and Boise Place took it's place, I seem to recall them planning on utilizing the original foundation. It seems like it would have been more economical to design the 8th and Main tower around the existing foundation, but maybe they have been sitting exposed too long to be reliable...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:15 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

That foundation has been there for years and open. I bet its all nasty and plants have broken it up in places.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
That foundation has been there for years and open. I bet its all nasty and plants have broken it up in places.
Yeah, it has been open to the elements for years, althouth hidden from street level view by walls of painted public art. Sawtooth recently posted some pics of the hole in the Boise Dev. Thread. It has some trees growing in it (this is Boise after all), and some graffiti...who knows maybe some underwear, condoms

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:12 PM

or syringes, empty paint cans, etc..... I know for a fact a few hotdog venders have dumped unused cooked hotdogs over the wall. I see it everyweek, and I know there is a stray cat that lives in within the walls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West