HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 12:17 AM

Atlantic Station - Millennium Gate Monument

It's not a skyscraper, but a fun construction project to follow nonetheless.

Now under construction in Atlantic Station, Midtown Atlanta.

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2008-06-15

Last edited by DoteDote; Jun 16, 2008 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 12:18 AM

Photo - 3/12/2007

Photo - 5/18/2007

Last edited by DoteDote; Jun 16, 2007 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 1:06 AM
Urban Explorer

Paris has the Arc de Triomphe overlooking the great Champs Elysees. Rome boasts the Arch of Constantine near the Colosseum, the Arch of Augustus in the Forum, and Bernini and Michelangelo's Porta del Popolo overlooking its great Piazza del Popolo entrance.

Great company to be sure, but none can boast a vista quite like that of Atlanta's newest monument - a retention pond! Napoleon and Caesar would be jealous...

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 1:24 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Paris has the Arc de Triomphe overlooking the great Champs Elysees. Rome boasts the Arch of Constantine near the Colosseum, the Arch of Augustus in the Forum, and Bernini and Michelangelo's Porta del Popolo overlooking its great Piazza del Popolo entrance.

Great company to be sure, but none can boast a vista quite like that of Atlanta's newest monument - a retention pond! Napoleon and Caesar would be jealous...
At the time of construction these monuments may have overlooked worse...probably raw sewage running through their arches. I don't have any idea if I'll like this thing when it's built, but I certainly won't judge it ahead of time and we should all keep in mind that when the famous landmarks mentioned were under construction they were not exactly beloved....

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 1:53 AM

25 years from now, the Millenium Gate will probably be the only thing to remind us that AS existed!

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:01 AM
Future God

Go ATL! If done right, i'm sure this will look fantastic. The neighborhood in that photo looks like it has the makings of a really high quality place.

I just hope that the artistry and construction on this thing is very high quality. It irks me when developers try to mimic classic designs but use cheap materials. It ends up looking very tacky much of the time.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:38 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Go ATL! If done right, i'm sure this will look fantastic. The neighborhood in that photo looks like it has the makings of a really high quality place.

I just hope that the artistry and construction on this thing is very high quality. It irks me when developers try to mimic classic designs but use cheap materials. It ends up looking very tacky much of the time.
This is true, it'd be nice to see a new classic monument erected in this day and age. I really had never thought about that being a possibility before. Having an arch similar to the Washington Square Arch in Manhattan (not a copy!), would really cement Atlanta's reputation as the New York of the South!

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 2:44 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
The neighborhood in that photo looks like it has the makings of a really high quality place.
Look closer!

I heard the justification of several projects be "Well, its better than what was there before." What is wrong with accepting only something of decent design and quality and not judge a project on what it replaced. The other great arches mentioned are not the commercial landmark that this developer hopes for...so far the others have resisted the urge to include exhibit and rooftop reception spaces. I've mentioned before that twirling bridesmaids on the roof of the arch does not exactly make it worthy of landmark status.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 6:24 AM

The arch is going to be 73 feet tall thats pretty tall. I will wait to judge. They better do somthing with the lake though.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 8:09 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Maybe they will designate it a "Reflecting Retention Pond"

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Maybe they will designate it a "Reflecting Retention Pond"
With rubber ducks.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:32 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Naturally. Live ducks wouldn't survive the toxic water hole.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 2:16 AM

Monuments are nice, and I'm sure this one will be, too. But I have one issue here: Why are they building a Millennium Arch seven years after the fact? They have a monument without a cause, that's why. And these days if you have nothing to say, you say "Millennium."

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 5:03 AM
Spire-ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosloth View Post
Monuments are nice, and I'm sure this one will be, too. But I have one issue here: Why are they building a Millennium Arch seven years after the fact? They have a monument without a cause, that's why. And these days if you have nothing to say, you say "Millennium."
I do agree with that. And in an area of town that could have other significance and importance more Atlanta-focused. I guess it depends on how they spin it and what they do with it. In the long run, 2007 will be very close to the millenium although it doesn't feel so now (just as 1907 would still be considered turn of the century to us).

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 8:04 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMile View Post
I do agree with that. And in an area of town that could have other significance and importance more Atlanta-focused. I guess it depends on how they spin it and what they do with it. In the long run, 2007 will be very close to the millenium although it doesn't feel so now (just as 1907 would still be considered turn of the century to us).
This structure is more than just an arch...it's a museum with several different displays, like historical and develpmental background of Atlantic Station, Atlanta, etc. and a sculpture garden. Visitors will be able to go inside the base of the arch, and I'm not sure but I think up into the arch as well. Check out the website...it really sounds interesting and more complex than I had imagined.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 5:56 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
This structure is more than just an arch...it's a museum with several different displays, like historical and develpmental background of Atlantic Station, Atlanta, etc. and a sculpture garden. Visitors will be able to go inside the base of the arch, and I'm not sure but I think up into the arch as well. Check out the website...it really sounds interesting and more complex than I had imagined.
I agree with you and I am glad to see that this is more than just an arch and I like the idea of putting a museum in at the base to show the evolution of AS and ATL. However, I still feel that this could have been placed in a more appropriate area of the city or they should have designed the area with a more classic Georgian feel. I do not like the McCondos that have gone up in "The Commons" area of AS. Atlanta has a rich and architecturally beautiful past and it is a shame that none of that was implemented in this area of AS.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 12:37 AM

Photo Update: Friday, June 15th

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 4:29 PM

Thanks for the pictures!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 11:28 AM

Thanks for posting your photos Dote Dote.

I know many may think the Millenium Gate is a cheezy idea but there is another way to look at it. Since the gate is actually being constructed out of quality materials it will be one of the few structures still standing and aging well in a decade. Of course that excludes the towers and I am referring to the EIFS that dominates Atlantic Station.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 7:15 AM

Now with the forms for the legs going up - you kinda get a feel for the scale of the thing now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta