HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:19 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Sounds like bulldurham has been drinking the Kyle Zeppelin kool-aid.
Shit. Kyle would be all over a Sprouts. The white folks in his office buildings are getting tired of getting their food from Natural Grocer's while driving their Outbacks to/from the TAXI office park.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I really don’t know why people get the least bit excited about In and Out Burgers. I actually don’t eat beef, but I know their French fries suck. The only fast food restaurants I wouldn’t mind seeing in Denver are Zaxby’s, Raising Cane (there is one in Fort Collins), and El Pollo Loco. Not fast food, but I would like to have a Bahama Breeze here as well.

The ATT building on 14th Street is such a dead space. They really need to do something with the ground floor. If a retail or restaurant space wont work then maybe they could make an employee lounge, fitness center, etc. with a fenced in outdoor patio. The exterior seriously needs to be power washed. If it were cleaned I wouldn’t mind the windowless walls. It has kind of a brutalist look. Considering it just houses phone network and computer equipment, it really is out of place across from the DCPA and Convention Center, but oh well.
I don't eat beef, or generally any fast food. But El Pollo Loco I will eat! There used to be one at 14th and Federal in Denver. I saw it when we moved here from LA in 2005. By the time I decided to driver all the way over to it, it was closed.

I never at at In-N-Out since they only offer beef, but it would seem odd to not have the crossed palm trees. I suppose they could do yucca trees in Colorado.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:02 PM

Rafael Espinoza leaving Denver City Council

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:03 PM

Bell Tower update

These people probably won't be shopping at the Aldi's in Cole, but here is a good write-up on the Bell Tower along with some additional renderings of the proposal.

https://crej.com/news/exciting-gatew...aga-continues/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I really don’t know why people get the least bit excited about In and Out Burgers. I actually don’t eat beef, but I know their French fries suck. The only fast food restaurants I wouldn’t mind seeing in Denver are Zaxby’s, Raising Cane (there is one in Fort Collins), and El Pollo Loco. Not fast food, but I would like to have a Bahama Breeze here as well.

The ATT building on 14th Street is such a dead space. They really need to do something with the ground floor. If a retail or restaurant space wont work then maybe they could make an employee lounge, fitness center, etc. with a fenced in outdoor patio. The exterior seriously needs to be power washed. If it were cleaned I wouldn’t mind the windowless walls. It has kind of a brutalist look. Considering it just houses phone network and computer equipment, it really is out of place across from the DCPA and Convention Center, but oh well.
There's a couple Cane's locations in Centennial/S Aurora area. Would love to have one up in Stapleton...no, maybe not...I'd be fat.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
These people probably won't be shopping at the Aldi's in Cole, but here is a good write-up on the Bell Tower along with some additional renderings of the proposal.

That's a really great looking tower. I think the connection to Cheery Creek could use some work but I hope this one lands.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Nice find; that is a MUST READ.

I especially look forward to wong's take; I decided to withhold my own expletive laden response to some members of the Lower Downtown Design Review Board. What a clustermess they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
I approve; he votes against everything.

Espinoza won on the back of the insane controversy around the apartments that Red Peak wanted to build at 32nd St and Lowell Blvd. Red Peak who tried to play nice was crucified anyway and ended up walking away, actually selling the plans to Alliance Res. who built the project which had already been approved.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I don’t get the LoDo DRB. How can they be so critical of this project yet approve Battery on Blake? That was such a wasted opportunity. And if I was Geller, I’d be frustrated with the city. They did a land swap and yet they make it impossible to build anything worth the investment.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:23 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

All y'all complaining about which new Moxy is better and how Denver's is SO ugly. Let me introduce you to this beaut I just walked by. It can be worse folks. 5 moderator points to who guesses the location.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Feb 11, 2019 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:25 PM

New Orleans?.......

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:34 PM

For a city blessed with such a rich architectural heritage, New Orleans has a hideous skyline. Next time our pal Matt opines about Denver's bland skyscraper collection, I'll have to link to Ryan's pic.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:18 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Good work guys! Skyline isn't everything. The core of New Orleans is arguably much more urban than Denver's core even if you take out the French Quarter. Anyways, I leave you with Republic Plaza's cousin:

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Anyways, I leave you with Republic Plaza's cousin:
Now that's hilarious Ryan and Matt should be happy that Denver's is slightly taller at 714ft vs 697ft..

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:14 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
I don’t get the LoDo DRB. How can they be so critical of this project yet approve Battery on Blake? That was such a wasted opportunity. And if I was Geller, I’d be frustrated with the city. They did a land swap and yet they make it impossible to build anything worth the investment.
Battery on Blake is outside of the LDRB boundaries, it went through the standard city process.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Battery on Blake is outside of the LDRB boundaries, it went through the standard city process.
Got cha, thanks for the clarification!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:55 AM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Good work guys! Skyline isn't everything. The core of New Orleans is arguably much more urban than Denver's core even if you take out the French Quarter.
You don't happen to be in New Orleans for the Battelle Sediments Conference, do you?

I love New Orleans, and it's too bad that its urban core is struggling so much in comparison to Denver's. Transit especially. The area behind you in that picture around Poydras and Loyola reminds me a lot of the Sea of Parking Lots. Or at least what it used to be like before all the container ship apartments docked. And the warehouse district is like LoDo 20 years ago. And despite some of these less-urban edges, it still has amazing places - with any luck one day Denver will have an urban fabric that resembles the stretch between Canal and Esplanade along Chartres and Royal...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:03 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

^ It's definitely getting better but I do agree. Denver has a superior core as far as feel and presence. I would love Nola's streetcar though.

I was there for fun, and the wife has never been. Haven't been in 6 years and it's changed quite a bit, for the better, since then.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
^ It's definitely getting better but I do agree. Denver has a superior core as far as feel and presence. I would love Nola's streetcar though.

I was there for fun, and the wife has never been. Haven't been in 6 years and it's changed quite a bit, for the better, since then.
Funny I was just there over the weekend too. The feel of New Orleans is so completely different than Denver, from the architecture to the people. I really love the smaller width streets they have, outside of Canal and Poydras, but think they are missing a big opportunity to better connect the downtown area to the river. I ventured out more into the Garden and Touro districts and really enjoyed those neighborhoods. New Orleans is just an awesome place.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:51 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Your New Orleans Moxy is about 5 years away from being considered a preservation-worthy example of classic Mid-Century Modern design.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
There's a couple Cane's locations in Centennial/S Aurora area. Would love to have one up in Stapleton...no, maybe not...I'd be fat.
Have no fear fellow Cane's lover. If you download the latest major projects XLS from denvergov, you'll see there are at least three Cane's that are in the planning stages for Denver proper. They opened up one in Broomfield just recently and it's relentlessly packed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West