HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:46 AM
TL;DR

I won't shed a tear for the old Villa St. Maurice buildings, but they didn't look that bad, and they matched the old convent in size and brick color. Seems like it would have been greener to renovate them, and I'm pretty sure the replacements won't be much better.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:36 AM

Quixote Studios supplies parts, stages, vehicles, etc. for use in film and television productions. They opened a studio store in the city on Euterpe a while back, but it appears they will be consolidating all operations to the land they are building on out in St. Rose. Sounds like it will be quite a nice operation when completed. Even though the facility is not in New Orleans proper, it is still a good thing for the metro economy and local film industry.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 1:42 PM

1031 Canal

It looks like 1031 Canal has finally given an update:

http://www.livingtheeasyway.com/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Anyone know what the holdup is on the VA hospital? They had a head start but now LSU is 3 stories up and VA isn't even out of the ground.
Work has finally begun on the VA site. They have been working on the old City Hall Annex building for a few months now but in the last week or so work has started on the actual hospital grounds.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

2. 224 Poydras St: Manning Architects, applicant; Jcc Fulton Development LLC, Harrah's Jazz Company, owner; Proposal to construct 730sf addition to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on Fulton St. side of building. They are enclosing the porch area with ability to open when its comfortable outside.
They are enclosing the patio? Not a fan of this. I like the feel of Fulton when the outside eating areas of Ruth's and Gordon Biersch are full.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquarterguy View Post

Great find! Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:

LOVE IT!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:

Wow, the new renderings are WAY better than the original. I sincerely hope this gets built.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:06 PM

It seems awfully small to have 240 apartments.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
It seems awfully small to have 240 apartments.
I think this is how it works:
Floors 1 & 2 floors are retail,
Floors 3-7 are parking,
Floors 8-14 are 240 apartments (30 apt/floor),
Floors 15 & 16 are 15 penthouses.

30 apartments divided by 8 floors might sound like lot, but on the facebook page there are more renderings, and the building is really U-shaped, like the Ritz-Carlton, giving each floor more square footage than in the renderings from this side.

Last edited by Blitzen; Sep 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:27 PM

I love this project. It accomplishes a few important things:

1) Transforming the Rampart / Canal intersection into a vibrant / pedestrian friendly area

2) Brings more upscale, modern apartments to NOLA

3) Pushes development further up Canal

Great job!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
They are enclosing the patio? Not a fan of this. I like the feel of Fulton when the outside eating areas of Ruth's and Gordon Biersch are full.
Its hard to explain but it wont really affect that it will just allow the patio to be more comfortable in the summer. When its nice enough to eat without that you wont even notice it.

Also the old buildings at St Maurice are being renovated. The 5 story is new construction.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
and the building is really U-shaped, like the Ritz-Carlton, giving each floor more square footage than in the renderings from this side.
I guess I can see that. It looks wider at the back.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 8:07 PM
-

Food/Bar News:

Cure Purchases Pravda, Plans for Future Rum BarLast Friday, the team from Cure purchased Lower Decatur's velvety vodka-goth den, Pravda. Not wasting any time, the team reopened it that night as Perestroika at Pravda. Co-owner and Bellocq barman, Kirk Estiponal, told Times-Pic's Todd A. Price, "It's sort of a pop-up bar that will exist in the bones of Pravda. We're just pointing the arrow a little straighter."

The Cure team is keeping the focus on vodka and absinthe for now—there's even talk of adding Russian and Polish food, and also no more smoking inside— but Pravda will become a yet-to-be-named rum bar, probably by Mardi Gras. Rum-enthusiast Nick Detrich, who had a tiki-drink pop-up at Company Burger and expressed interest in opening a tiki bar this year, will run the bar. Trending alert: tiki drinks are the new burger.

Alexis and Jordan Ruiz have moved their Gentilly restaurant the Munch Factory to a new location. Now located on Elysian Fields near the University of New Orleans campus—previously a Nacho Mama's Mexican Grill— they have a much larger space and are hoping to attract more business. They celebrated their Grand Opening on Monday. [Gambit, Tiger Droppings]

MID CITY— McNulty on the already-popular Gracious Bakery and Cafe: "For those able to fend off dessert temptation, Gracious serves an impressive line up of sandwiches on breads baked in the back and plated with small, smartly-dressed salads of fresh greens." Tipsters report that Chef Megan Forman was down to the last piece of ciabatta bread by 2p.m today. [Gambit]

1.) Bywater: Check out the teaser pic of the new Pizza Delicious to the right. Owner Mike Friedman tells Eater, "We're getting really excited about opening and are busting our asses everyday, but it's coming together." [EaterWire, Facebook]

2.) CBD: After a commenter noticed a severe lack of construction happening at Lucky Rooster, the crew's wine-brainiac Joe Briand tweeted that the crew of the new Pan-Asian restaurant is in fact working hard to open this year. [Twitter]

3.) Bywater: Nick Vivion of Booty's on his partner Kevin Farrell : "I'm really the only Seattle transplant, and he's the one who's come home. We got a lot of flak for not being from around here, and Kevin really went through a lot in Katrina." Nick also recently named their chef: Greg Fonseca, formerly of Rio Mar. [EaterWire]

4.) Central City: Things seem to be looking good for Maïs Arepas, not that you can see inside the restaurant. Red paper is covering all the windows, but their giant logo is up, as is a sign stating they're in the process of getting an alcohol permit. [EaterWire]

http://nola.eater.com/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Wow, the new renderings are WAY better than the original. I sincerely hope this gets built.

They had gone through several schematic designs. This is the first time i've seen this one, and it is certainly the nicest looking one. It's the most streamlined design so far. I think it looks great and hope it gets built

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:40 AM
-

This is the final one as far as I know... they will need to start construction relatively soon to make their move in target!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:03 PM

Has there been any word on a start date, or did they simply release new renderings with nothing else?

Also, I'm sure this has been asked, has there been a snag in the Mid-City Market? Seems to be sitting idle for at least a month or two.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:46 PM

In the last 2 days, McDonogh 11 has been moved over from it's temporary resting position. Does anyone know why? Are the crews needing to work on the location it was sitting on? Does anyone know the timetable for the foundation of the final resting place on Tulane Avenue? The city put an RFP out a long time ago and I haven't heard a peep about it since...

http://www.earthcam.com/client/skans...archiveid=live

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:56 PM

Quote:

It's a great project but this recent retooling of the design is way too Post Modern. The building already looks dated. Then again, their attempts of being contemporary weren't that successful either. Would have been nice had they chosen another architect. Either way, I am ready to see this thing get off the ground.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinnola View Post
Has there been any word on a start date, or did they simply release new renderings with nothing else?

Also, I'm sure this has been asked, has there been a snag in the Mid-City Market? Seems to be sitting idle for at least a month or two.
Was wondering the same thing but apparently its just hit a slow point!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations