HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:44 PM
-

Good luck today!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
That's correct. They presented to the VCC the same day that I was there for Where Ya Rack (we are appealling the VCC to the city counvil at 11am this morning).

The restaurant sounded to be amazing, with the backing of very experienced restauranteurs who knew exactly what they were doing. It got me very excited. Also, they showed existing interior pics of the Alpine that made me want to puke.....SOO glad it's gone...
Why would the VCC not want that? Bike racks or the restaurant?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:05 PM
TL;DR

VCC is pretty much anti-bike, even though the French Quarter is probably the most perfect environment for bicycles that you can imagine.

Fortunately, there are plenty of gallery posts you can lock to, but many property owners will cut your cable and do not place warning signs. (This is possibly illegal, since the bicycle is in the public right-of-way)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:26 PM

HTML Code:
 (This is possibly illegal, since the bicycle is in the public right-of-way)
Yeah, it is probably not. By a similar logic-can I chain my bike to your car as long as it is in parked in the street?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:46 PM
-

Elisio Lofts(Im guessing they are looking for a redesign that will have less opposition)
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Estimated Value*
$500,000.00
Address
501 Elysian Fields Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a residential and commercial development. Plans call for lofts and retail space.

The project is facing local opposition and is currently on hold. Construction is not expected to commence until the spring of 2013 at the earliest. No further inquiries will be accepted.

Looks like the crane is getting ready to install the video screens on exterior of New Orleans Arena.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
HTML Code:
 (This is possibly illegal, since the bicycle is in the public right-of-way)
Yeah, it is probably not. By a similar logic-can I chain my bike to your car as long as it is in parked in the street?
This isn't like a rural area where the streets exist on private property with a public easement; the city is in total control and leases out the sidewalk with conditions. The way city property is leased to private owners for galleries, the private lessee must allow certain functions of the street to proceed unimpeded. I don't know exactly what those functions are, but I assume they include pedestrian movement and the ability for the city to place street furniture (parking meters, benches, newspaper racks, etc). Wouldn't surprise me if this includes parking of some kind, and the removal of bicycles from the public ROW could constitute theft.

Parking spaces are a different beast, but they have restrictions too - generally, I can't put some random stuff in the parking space by my house to prevent others from parking there.

The common theme here is that private use of the public street is permitted as long as it doesn't unreasonably impede the public functions.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:37 PM

Vcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
VCC is pretty much anti-bike, even though the French Quarter is probably the most perfect environment for bicycles that you can imagine.

Fortunately, there are plenty of gallery posts you can lock to, but many property owners will cut your cable and do not place warning signs. (This is possibly illegal, since the bicycle is in the public right-of-way)
Ralph Lupin actually told us in one of the meetings that if he had his way he'd ban all bikes in the quarter because it's only "those service industry people" who use them (implying that they are worthless). Obviously that's not the case, but then again Lupin is probably going to be chairman until he dies.

He spent the first 45 minutes of a VCC meeting we were at moaning and complaining about the "Scums and lowlife" who hang out around Jackson Square with their tattoos and women who expose their midriffs as if it was the end of the world. He wanted to be able to call the cops on them and Lary Hesdorffer had to remind him that people have the first amendment and we can't arrest people for what they wear....

So that's the beast we're dealing with here.

We made a very positive compromise with Kristin Palmer to overturn the VCC's denial with the gist of it being that Where Ya Rack will "ease" into the Quarter by installing racks on any of the 4 sides of the US Mint as a "Pilot" program. That way quarter residents and the VCC will be able to see that these racks arent' the end of the world. Contingent upon the potential expansion of that pilot is that we have to come up with a plan for on-street parking in corner zones. We were already working down that route anyway.

We have 4 months to do this. So we already have the ball rolling, have pricing, have a product in mind, have been in touch with DPW.

I think we give KGP what she's asked for...in the next 4 months we install some corner zones, install the racks at the Mint and then we come back and say "here's what you asked for, we did it, now can we expand?"

Clarkson and Guidry kind of annoyed me, but oh well. Guidry claimed she'd never seen our racks before (even though there are 4 at city hall and 172 elsewhere). Clarkson complained about not understanding our program (though she's never asked) and how all of her friends and constituents complain about us while she's at the opera and how she'd like to be able to enjoy the opera without people complaining about bike racks....

That's par for the course with some of those damned quarterites (I'm kind of one...but i'm obviously not "one of those")

I had some reservations about posting some of that, but it's all in the council video...not making this stuff up. If you put in a public records request for the audio of the VCC meeting on August 21st you will hear it...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Ralph Lupin actually told us in one of the meetings that if he had his way he'd ban all bikes in the quarter because it's only "those service industry people" who use them (implying that they are worthless). Obviously that's not the case, but then again Lupin is probably going to be chairman until he dies.

He spent the first 45 minutes of a VCC meeting we were at moaning and complaining about the "Scums and lowlife" who hang out around Jackson Square with their tattoos and women who expose their midriffs as if it was the end of the world. He wanted to be able to call the cops on them and Lary Hesdorffer had to remind him that people have the first amendment and we can't arrest people for what they wear....

So that's the beast we're dealing with here.

We made a very positive compromise with Kristin Palmer to overturn the VCC's denial with the gist of it being that Where Ya Rack will "ease" into the Quarter by installing racks on any of the 4 sides of the US Mint as a "Pilot" program. That way quarter residents and the VCC will be able to see that these racks arent' the end of the world. Contingent upon the potential expansion of that pilot is that we have to come up with a plan for on-street parking in corner zones. We were already working down that route anyway.

We have 4 months to do this. So we already have the ball rolling, have pricing, have a product in mind, have been in touch with DPW.

I think we give KGP what she's asked for...in the next 4 months we install some corner zones, install the racks at the Mint and then we come back and say "here's what you asked for, we did it, now can we expand?"

Clarkson and Guidry kind of annoyed me, but oh well. Guidry claimed she'd never seen our racks before (even though there are 4 at city hall and 172 elsewhere). Clarkson complained about not understanding our program (though she's never asked) and how all of her friends and constituents complain about us while she's at the opera and how she'd like to be able to enjoy the opera without people complaining about bike racks....

That's par for the course with some of those damned quarterites (I'm kind of one...but i'm obviously not "one of those")

I had some reservations about posting some of that, but it's all in the council video...not making this stuff up. If you put in a public records request for the audio of the VCC meeting on August 21st you will hear it...
One of the problems with some individuals that hang out on Jackson Suare and particularly in front of the Cathedral is the amount of profanity some shout out without any discression. Then the "stand offs" that nearly end in fist fights.....kids walking with their parents can hear it a block away it's so loud.
I haven't gone there in quite a while because the same group and same situations happened on a daily basis.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAforME View Post
One of the problems with some individuals that hang out on Jackson Suare and particularly in front of the Cathedral is the amount of profanity some shout out without any discression. Then the "stand offs" that nearly end in fist fights.....kids walking with their parents can hear it a block away it's so loud.
I haven't gone there in quite a while because the same group and same situations happened on a daily basis.

The thing is that Jackson Square and the FQ are the center of the entire city. It is public space for all neighborhoods. Anyone can hang around there. I just read this article about how Disneyland has changed our perceptions of how cities should be. I think it's pretty appropriate for this discussion.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/pure...-planning/8910

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:44 AM
TL;DR

Obviously fighting in public and certain types of indecency are illegal... Cops can/should respond to any incidents, but people of all ages, races, genders, sexual orientations, and subcultures should be welcome in Jackson Square. For someone like Lupin to suggest otherwise is insulting to me as an American. I can't even begin to address the bike issue... What an asshat. Just... wow.

As far as City Council goes, it's pretty easy to see why our bike infrastructure sucks so hard. DPW "gets it" but there's no support from the top to find funding or anything. The Lafitte Corridor is on a shoestring budget that doesn't even allow them to plant trees.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 8:42 AM

Last edited by NOLAforME; Oct 21, 2012 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
The thing is that Jackson Square and the FQ are the center of the entire city. It is public space for all neighborhoods. Anyone can hang around there. I just read this article about how Disneyland has changed our perceptions of how cities should be. I think it's pretty appropriate for this discussion.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/pure...-planning/8910
That's a great article on Urban Design and the Disneyesque "reality" of places like Perkins Rowe in Baton Rouge and also the proposal for the redevelopment of the Plaza in Lake Forest site in NOLA east. I doubt any one would want to see Mickey Mouse or Seymour De Fair welcoming families to Jackson Square. What makes the Square great is that it is a public space that attracts everyone. But when shirtless drunk patrons shouting profanities at the top of their lungs pick fights with each other, then turn their anger on other patrons on the Square (have seen this a few times also) most other people start staying away for their own safety.....why wait around for gunfire to breakout? The Police should patrol the area in situations like this to protect everyone......all inclusive! (families with children, a group of friends of any gender, orientation, color, those with "questionable wardrobe discernment", tourist, street artist, musicians etc) or anyone else who wants to sit on the Square in a relatively "safe" public area.

A bicycle is the perfect way to see the FQ.......I've done it many times in the past and hope to do it in the future, It is really a great experience especially with the cool weather this time of year, I hope more people take to their bikes and find out for themselves.

Last edited by NOLAforME; Oct 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:02 PM
-

10 million dollar condo project happening at 701 South Peters street. The 28 unit building should be complete by next summer and will feature ground floor retail spaces including a coffee shop.

http://qpublic6.qpublic.net/qpmap4/m...ls+roads+lakes

Guste III - Housing Authority of New Orleans
Estimated Value*
$33,000,000.00
Address
4100 Touro St
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County

Description New construction of a multi-residential development on New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the new construction of 155 new affordable housing units comprised of duplexes, triplexes, sixplexes and one large 49-unit building.

Funky Butt Jazz ClubLocation: 4716 Freret
Projected Opening: New Years
Owner Shanekah Peterson will reopen the Funky Butt in a former bank far from her former Quarter home. The building still has a large vault, which Peterson says she may use as a "mixology station," or a space to pay homage to the club's roots.

Freret Street PubliQ House Location: 4528 Freret
Projected Opening: November
The cocktail pub/music venue will have 1952 Dodge Army truck covered with bullet holes to serve as the sound booth, and other funky decor, says Owner Rhett Briggs says.

The Rook CaféLocation: 4516 Freret
Projected Opening: December at 4516 Freret Street.
The Rook Café's owner Scott Solo aims for a hip take on a French-salon style cafe with large paintings on the wall and light fare like pastries and soups.

WayfareLocation: 4510 Freret
Projected Opening: December
Owner Ray Arnona of Vinnie's Sports Bar and Grill on the West Bank and his family will run the upscale sandwich counter/deli with plans to sell artisan meats and cheeses, plus specialty jams and pickled products. Sounds vaguely familiar (shh, St. James Cheese). The space has a 3,600-square-foot dining area.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2012/...water.php#more

New Gym in CBD
ITEM 1 – Docket Number: 220-12 SKK
Applicant or Agent: 1029 O.C. Haley L.L.C.
Property Location: 1029 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard Zip: 70118
Bounding Streets: O.C. Haley Blvd., Howard Ave., S. Rampart St., & Calliope St.
Square Number: 9 Lots: 6 & 7
Zoning District: RD-2 Two-Family Residential ZBM: G-11
Historic District: None Planning District: 2
Existing Use: Single-Family Residence
Proposed Use: Single-Family Residence
Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of a vacant warehouse to a gymnasium with insufficient off-street parking.
Requested Waiver:
Section 15.2.1 (Table 15.A) – Off-Street Parking
Required: 76 Spaces Provided: 20 Spaces Waiver: 56 Spaces

Art Studio/TheatreITEM 12 – Docket Number: 231-12 MDO
Applicant or Agent: GCHP-PolyBar, LLC
Property Location: 1701, 1725, and 1731 Baronne Street Zip: 70113
Bounding Streets: Baronne, Polymnia, Felicty, & Euterpe Sts. & Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
Square Number: 247 Lots: 1, 2, CC-3, 17, 18, 19, 20, & B
Zoning District: C-1 General Commercial ZBM: C-14
Historic District: N/A Planning District: 2
Existing Use: Industrial/Vacant Lots
Proposed Use: Studio, Office, & Theater
Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.1 and Article 15, Section 15.3.1 (Table 15.G) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the conversion of vacant buildings into studio, office, and theater space with insufficient off-street parking.

ITEM 14 – Docket Number: 233-12 MDO
Applicant or Agent: Cerniglia Place, LLC
Property Location: 1221-1223 Napoleon Avenue Zip: 70115
Bounding Streets: Napoleon Ave., Perrier St., Gen . Pershing St., & Coliseum St.
Square Number: 320 Lot: M
Zoning District: RM-2 Multi-Family Residential ZBM: B-15
Historic District: N/A Planning District: 3
Existing Use: Vacant Lot
Proposed Use: Multi-Family Residence (6 Units)
Request Citation: This request is for variances from the provisions of Article 4, Section 4.9.7 (Table 4.I) and Article 15, Section 15.2.3 of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
Request:
This request is to permit the construction of a multi-family residence with insufficient minimum depth of front yard, insufficient minimum width of a

Also the DDD is pushing for Julia Street to be repaved and returned to a two way street? Interesting plan!

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Also the DDD is pushing for Julia Street to be repaved and returned to a two way street? Interesting plan!
All for it, especially if the National WWII Museum gets their wish and closes their block of Andrew Higgins to traffic.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:38 PM
TL;DR

I'm in favor of two-way streets pretty much everywhere unless the street is too narrow for passing.

Not in favor of closing Andrew Higgins permanently. The WWII museum has enough land already, they shouldn't be buying and shutting down busy parts of the street grid.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
10 million dollar condo project happening at 701 South Peters street. The 28 unit building should be complete by next summer and will feature ground floor retail spaces including a coffee shop.
Thats such a great location, I've always wondered why that building sat empty.

The Mid-City Market on Carrollton finally started construction last week too.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Definitely needs to be paved. I wonder if making the street two way would affect the walkability of the area, I'm guessing no.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:02 AM
TL;DR

Going two-way should slow down traffic and improve the walkability by default. If we're lucky, they may include curb bumpouts like on Freret or Oak. If we're unlucky, they put in those awful cobblestone intersections (which are murder to cyclists).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 7:02 PM
-

Villa Saint Maurice Apartments-Addition and Renovations

Project Type Building Use Status
Addition
Renovation Elderly Care / Assisted Living
Multi-Residential Final Planning
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Monday, December 10, 2012
Estimated Value*

$500,000.00
Address
500 St. Maurice Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70117
Orleans County

Description Renovation of and an addition to a multi-residential building in New Orleans. Working drawings call for renovations and an addition to an existing senior living facility.

Construction drawings for this project have not yet been completed. This project is expected to bid competitively to general contractors. General contractor bidding is expected to begin in November 2012 and construction is scheduled to follow in December 2012

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 9:10 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Elisio Lofts(Im guessing they are looking for a redesign that will have less opposition)
Sector Est. Start Date
Private Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Estimated Value*
$500,000.00
Address
501 Elysian Fields Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70118
Orleans County

Description Site work and new construction of a mixed-use development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the construction of a residential and commercial development. Plans call for lofts and retail space.

The project is facing local opposition and is currently on hold. Construction is not expected to commence until the spring of 2013 at the earliest. No further inquiries will be accepted.

Looks like the crane is getting ready to install the video screens on exterior of New Orleans Arena.

What in the world is that ugly thing? I dont recall seeing that a couple months ago when I was there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations