HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 2:46 PM
c'est le temps.....

I may be incorrect on this assessment but I would tend to think tax breaks and subsidies are geared towards guiding developers to build in areas that are seen as core projects that can bring about a revival of a certain part of town. Usually areas that have long sat dormant or have fallen into high crime dilapidated areas. If this truly is the reason then everyone benefits from the subsidies. Large new developments attract smaller scale new development and this brings about a complete revival of the neighborhood. All this may be the beginning of attracting large corporations to locate offices in the New Orleans area bringing in more well paying jobs establishing a stronger tax base and then maybe leaving the old tourist based low paying economy for something more financially stable. New Orleans is on a roll, but the city needs to constantly keep the momentum going in attracting new development.

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Sep 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:26 PM
-

As someone who works in the business I can assure you tax credits are essential and it isnt cherry picking projects. Anyone can apply for all the different tax credits that exist. However, things such as my diamond street project or notre dame are new construction for sale and that doesnt really qualify for tax credits.
But If you can get them and why shouldnt you if you are taking a building that is in many ways functionally obsolete and put it back into commerce. All these programs help to do that!

New market tax credits, state and federal historic tax credits, Facade grants, go zone, delta funds, cdbg grants, facade donations, restoration tax abatements. These are all things that make these projects work. Also, larger projects are considered to be catalytic and will create a micromarket around them that will help improve the chances of smaller infill developments happening.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:36 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
As someone who works in the business I can assure you tax credits are essential and it int cherry pricking projects. Anyone can apply for all the different tax credits that exist. However, things such as my diamond street project or notre dame are new construction for sale and that doesnt really qualify for tax credits.
But If you can get them and why shouldnt you if you are taking a building that is in many ways functionally obsolete and put it back into commerce that will help.

New market tax credits, state and federal historic tax credits, Facade grants, go zone, delta funds, cdbg grants, facade donations, restoration tax abatements. These are all things that make these projects work. Also, larger projects are considered to be catalytic and will create a micromarket around them that will help improve the chances of smaller infill developments happening.
Good Info, How is your Diamond St. Bldg coming along? and how is Notre Dame....I saw the web cam but it seems to not have been updated and the lens on the camera (at Notre Dame) is very blurry.

A good while back, someone posted a comment about Matwani selling the Sanlin buildings.....any developments on this? or was it just a rumor? Also does anyone know anymore about the proposed demo of the souvenir shop on Canal at Tchop?

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Sep 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 6:05 PM
life is good

Good comments all. @Tennis - federal and state tax credits are one thing, but I was referring specifically to the PILOT involved with SMD which is funded directly out of city coffers.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 7:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Good comments all. @Tennis - federal and state tax credits are one thing, but I was referring specifically to the PILOT involved with SMD which is funded directly out of city coffers.
Understood I think overall after looking at the project I think its quite reasonable what the city did here. Helping to fund some of the infrastructure improvements help not only the project but the surrounding areas as well. The increased value of the area will spill over. I dont think it was a city picking one developer over another in this situation but im sure there are situation where it could occur so its valid to at least be concerned about it.

Diamond Street is still chugging along... new construction has its problems and Im working to get a good cost estimate for construction.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 8:20 PM

Sanlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled In Lafayette View Post
Good Info, How is your Diamond St. Bldg coming along? and how is Notre Dame....I saw the web cam but it seems to not have been updated and the lens on the camera (at Notre Dame) is very blurry.

A good while back, someone posted a comment about Matwani selling the Sanlin buildings.....any developments on this? or was it just a rumor? Also does anyone know anymore about the proposed demo of the souvenir shop on Canal at Tchop?
I just checked and the Sanlin is still listed for Sale or Lease on the LACBD website. I called to inquire when it was first listed a few months ago and the agent quoted me $25 mil. I like to think of myself as a professional but I laughed straight in her face. I do this for a living and I've never behaved that way but $25 million!?!?!?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 8:36 PM
-

Shocking but I actually agree with meg Lousteau and VCPORA on something lol

T-Shirt Shops Under Fire, Some Operating Illegally

Fed up with the repetitious French Quarter T-shirt shops stuffed full of "I Got Bourbon Faced On Shit Street" gear? You're not the only one. "It is one of most common complaints we hear in the French Quarter from people who live there, visit there and work there," Meg Lousteau, executive director of Vieux Carre Property Owners, Residents and Associates said. "They can't understand why this beautiful historic gem allows the proliferation of T-shirt shops. We have yet to find anyone who thinks they add anything of value to the French Quarter." The Times-Pic's Richard Webster reports that many of these tourist traps are operating illegally or without the proper permits and City Council is putting its foot down.
http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2013...under-fire.php

New Orleans Pelicans Training Facility:

http://theneworleansadvocate.com/hom...-wows-pelicans

Didnt realize the Jackson Ave Ferry Terminal was for sale:

http://www.dotd.la.gov/highways/proj...id_booklet.pdf

BroadMore Development:

OPCSO WAREHOUSE, FOOD FACILITY AND CENTRAL PLANT

Loyola Cabra Hall:

Trapolin Peer Office Building:

It will be built utilizing the original building façade in the 800 block of Tchoupitoulas Street, adjacent to other vintage structures in the Warehouse District. This pre-turn-of-the-century building is one of the few remaining buildings designed by James Dakin in New Orleans, a preeminent architect of that time. Originally a 3 story building built in 1846 by Sidle and Stewart, it was first a business for Rowland Redmond, then the Royal Broom factory. Most recently it was home to Standard Supply and Hardware.

The first floor of the new building will be open to accommodate 6,100 sf of future tenant space. The upper two floors will provide Trapolin–Peer Architects with nearly 7,000 sf of office space. It will feature wood accented modern finishes, custom millwork and architectural lighting. These will all complement the open floor plans of the office, studio and conference rooms. Interior glass walls at the front will allow natural light to enter through to the interior offices while a courtyard in the rear will direct natural light to open studios and workspace. In keeping with the building’s historic and cultural past, the granite sills and brick façade common to the Warehouse District will be preserved.

Work on the building is currently underway and is scheduled to be complete by January 2014.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 1:32 AM
c'est le temps.....

[QUOTE=tennis1400;6271711]Shocking but I actually agree with meg Lousteau and VCPORA on something lol

I think that's Matwani's way of telling everyone "the building is NOT for sale".........I didn't know James Dakin designed the bldg. on Tchop. but am so happy to see it finally in line for a good detail oriented renovation. That era was the antebellum age of the 3 James' Architects, James Dakin, James Gallier and James Freret....Freret's family is still involved in architectural practice in the area. Yes, the T-shirt shops ruin the "walk the quarter" experience for many, It would only benefit the quarter to have the ordinances enforced.

Nice pics!! more on the way????

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
life is good

It's small, but I thought this was nice to see from Riverbend businesses (well, not nice, but it is refreshing to see businesses caring about modes of transport other than just car parking):

http://www.fox8live.com/story/234485...customers-away

The streetcar repairs do seem to be taking an extraordinary amount of time.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:
It's small, but I thought this was nice to see from Riverbend businesses (well, not nice, but it is refreshing to see businesses caring about modes of transport other than just car parking):

http://www.fox8live.com/story/234485...customers-away

The streetcar repairs do seem to be taking an extraordinary amount of time.
It is amazing how long/expensive it is now-a-days. In 1886 most of the southern railroads were converted to standard gauge tracks over an incredible 2-day period. 11,500 miles of track regauged in 2 days!! Today, with all our technology, it's taking 2 years to replace the cross ties under a couple miles of busy, well used track.

http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1966/66-8/gauge.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 3:54 PM
TL;DR

We all know who's to blame for the trashy t-shirt shops. I'm not typically an angry person but I wouldn't mind seeing him go bankrupt and his real estate empire sold off to people who will actually maximize value by renting out the upper floors and bringing in high-paying retail tenants. Probably chains, but I'll take another starbucks over Jazz Gumbo #17 anyday.

Agreed on the streetcar renovations. It's pretty clear that RTA has management issues and is so broke they don't know how to spend money when they get it (streetcar work funded by the Feds).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:12 PM
-

Hivolt Coffee Now Open in the LGD
hivolt9%3A18.png1829 Sophie Wright Place, New Orleans, LA 70130
Phone: (504) 324-8818

Cultured coffee-addicts take note, Hivolt Coffee is now open in the Lower Garden District. After two days of testing the waters, owner Benji Lee— also of Le Saint, and a member of Supagroup— and chef/wife Laura have officially opened for business, serving third wave coffee and breakfast/lunch/smoothies on the healthier side. Hivolt specializes in vegan/vegetarian fare as much as they do fancypants coffee, but fear not, team meat and dairy, there's still at least one grass fed beef breakfast option on the board awaiting your shark teeth, as well as a killer housemade ricotta. The build out is a beauty, with the 20+ year vacant building now transformed into a sleek cafe with a black and white tiled bar, exposed brick, flooring the Flinstones would be jealous of, a five station pour over bar, lots of modern lighting, and an Oji drip from Japan that looks something like a modern sculpture/crystal ball mind reading contraption.

http://nola.eater.com/archives/2013/...n-district.php

The NOLA pizza scene is the hotness, Ian McNulty reports this week, and with that comes another new pizzeria heading to Uptown: "Bogdan Mocanu plans to open Dolce Vita Wood Fired Pizzeria at 1205 St. Charles Ave. this fall, after making a name for himself with his popular Dolce Vita food truck around Baton Rouge." [Advocate]

Sweet New Details on Sucre's French Quarter Expansion

This week Todd A. Price reveals some new details about the upcoming Sucre set to open in the French Quarter around Mardi Gras 2014. In terms of new additions for Sucre, the shop will have a "unique coffee program" of pour overs and espresso drinks only, and an upstairs salon will serve savory/sweets, with an emphasis on tableside preparations, in a very lounge-worthy setting.

819 Magazine St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: JTMMTW
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Peter Trapolin Architects
Application Review
Date Filed:
9/17/2013 11:52:44 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior and exterior renovations to existing parking garage/storage as per plans and HDLC C/A.

3819 Magazine St·Renovation (Structural) ·Permit #12-28037-RNVS ·Ref Code: A2QNVF
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Stephanie Adler
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
10/22/2012 2:24:13 PM
Closed:
No
Description
This is a shell building permit to renovate an existing building and add a 2nd story as per plans. Separate permits shall be applied for prior to occupancy. 1st floor scheduled as mercantile; 2nd scheduled as office. Fees under original permit12 COM-00636. No Use and Occupancy under this permit except rear 1st floor office (unit 3819 "A").

600 St Charles Ave [Lafayette Hotel]·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: QERLVZ
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Trapolin-Peer Architects
Application Review
Date Filed:
8/28/2013 1:28:22 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of existing Lafayette Hotel to include reconfiguration of the penthouse into 5 hotel rooms, addition of 3 rooms to the 2nd through 4th floors, addition of 2 rooms to the 5th floor per plans. No exterior work under this permit.There will be a total of 16 new rooms.

333 Canal St [Jade]·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: HDNWBS
Type:
Applicant:
Kent Fahey
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/19/2013 11:46:40 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Converting a vacant space into a retail store as per plans. Signage requires a seperate permit.

7921 Bullard Ave [Mccall Systems]·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Permit #13-38195-RNVN ·Ref Code: 0JXTVL
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
SHIRLEY BRISCOE
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
9/18/2013 1:52:26 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Converting vacant commercial space into a beauty salon/barber shop as per sketch.

1 Poydras St, Space 142·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 8PDHBE
Type:
Applicant:
Barb Lynn
Application Review
Date Filed:
9/18/2013 1:46:44 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Developer preparation of 3,541 sqft white box space to prepare for tenant build out, no use and occupancy. Tenant build-out will require separate permitting.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 2:30 AM
c'est le temps.....

It's good to see this bldg finally put back into commerce, so happy it didn't get a coat of turquoise paint with orange trim! Well thought out space!!!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 1:53 AM

so driving back from Sam's open house today, where I got this sweet Nexus 7 tablet, I noticed that Costco was absolutely packed. Must have been an early soft opening.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
so driving back from Sam's open house today, where I got this sweet Nexus 7 tablet, I noticed that Costco was absolutely packed. Must have been an early soft opening.
The ribbon cutting was today, official opening tomorrow.

Pile caps @ Paramount today:

Maybe its just me, but 930 Poydras is sexy building:

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 11:21 AM
life is good

On point. I have always LOVED 930 Poydras.

Nice photos also.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 1:25 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
On point. I have always LOVED 930 Poydras.

Nice photos also.
In the very worst of architectural circumstances, I try to find something that can be appreciated in the design, unfortunately all I see at 930 Poydras is a fast food design of a high rise among other buildings that were well thought out for the decade in which they were built.......... I wish I saw what you see in it, Alxx611, and eightball, then I wouldn't have to close my eyes every time I pass it........... Maybe it's like Hog's Head Cheese.....you've got to cultivate a taste for it

Great Pics!!!! keep them coming!

Last edited by Exiled In Lafayette; Sep 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 7:08 PM

930 Poydras

if memory serves me correctly this building was originally supposed to be a 38 story spire - ended up being a 20 story box

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 7:30 PM
c'est le temps.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
if memory serves me correctly this building was originally supposed to be a 38 story spire - ended up being a 20 story box
and a big black ugly BOX at that..................

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled In Lafayette View Post
In the very worst of architectural circumstances, I try to find something that can be appreciated in the design, unfortunately all I see at 930 Poydras is a fast food design of a high rise among other buildings that were well thought out for the decade in which they were built.......... I wish I saw what you see in it, Alxx611, and eightball, then I wouldn't have to close my eyes every time I pass it........... Maybe it's like Hog's Head Cheese.....you've got to cultivate a taste for it

Great Pics!!!! keep them coming!
I agree with you. It's a striking building but I don't think I'd mind if it was demolished in 20 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations