HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: In the near future (eg. next few decades, or generations), Canada...
Will gradually be more influenced by the US. 5 13.51%
Will gradually be less influenced by the US. 19 51.35%
The same, or uncertain. 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:11 PM

Will Canada really orient towards non-US countries more in the near future?

In all kinds of ways -- cultural influence, media influence, trade, political relations, migration trends etc.

There's lots of talk about Canada looking more towards other countries, on a number of different grounds -- more trade with non-US countries and less reliance on one market, historically also tourism was mostly dependent on the US, now it's more towards other countries.

However, the issues that have been common to complaints about Canada's excessive focus on its southern neighbour -- brain drain towards the US -- and the US' disproportionate cultural influence (and lack of Canadian homegrown cultural influence) appear to have not changed that much. Canada has not put its cultural focus on other countries with the exception of rekindling of French Canadian ties with France, or perhaps Europe more broadly. Anglo-Canada has neither rekindled its tie to the UK or the Commonwealth so far, and other countries including non-western parts of the world (Asia, Africa) have barely any influence on Canada, outside of immigrant communities (and despite what multiculturalism says, these linkages become gone as soon as the previous immigrants assimilate, it's only maintained by regular new immigration).

What do you think?

Last edited by Capsicum; Jan 24, 2018 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The US has always been isolationist. This relaxed a bit after WW2 but even despite increased US internationalism in the second part of the 20th century, there continued to be a very poor understanding on the US part of the geopolitical realities of the rest of the world.

This changed after 911. Suddenly a new "US vs them" paradigm sprang forward in Washington, with tightened borders, passports, visa requirements and talk of "beautiful walls". This paranoia on the US part is here to stay I'm afraid. When push comes to shove, the US will ultimately view Canada as a "them" nation. We have little power to moderate US paranoia. The 911 terrorists all came from Canada after all.

Canada has little choice but to strengthen its ties with other nations of the world. This will be especially true with traditional Commonwealth members (CANZUK) and with the EU and the trans-Pacific states. Countries from these areas encompass our relatives, our friends and our traditional trading partners.

The US is gradually withdrawing from the world. Its time to let them go........

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The US has always been isolationist. This relaxed a bit after WW2 but even despite increased US internationalism in the second part of the 20th century, there continued to be a very poor understanding on the US part of the geopolitical realities of the rest of the world.

This changed after 911. Suddenly a new "US vs them" paradigm sprang forward in Washington, with tightened borders, passports, visa requirements and talk of "beautiful walls". This paranoia on the US part is here to stay I'm afraid. When push comes to shove, the US will ultimately view Canada as a "them" nation. We have little power to moderate US paranoia. The 911 terrorists all came from Canada after all.

Canada has little choice but to strengthen its ties with other nations of the world. This will be especially true with traditional Commonwealth members (CANZUK) and with the EU and the trans-Pacific states. Countries from these areas encompass our relatives, our friends and our traditional trading partners.

The US is gradually withdrawing from the world. Its time to let them go........
I don't know that that's realistic, TBQH.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:05 PM

I propose another poll thread about what the next poll thread should be. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know that that's realistic, TBQH.
Realistic, no - but with the Trumpians in ascendancy this is what it feels like.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:45 PM

The thing is there have been lots of disagreements where it had been argued that Canada and the US have come apart and how Canada should either develop more independence from the US or put its focus on the world outside the US. For example, during the Vietnam war and the 60s which made Canada more self-confident in its own identity. More recently, more left-wing Canadians that disliked when Bush was in office said the same thing as people are saying about Trump now, but if US-Canada relations improve, years later, will people still feel the same way?

Has there really been a long term trend towards Canada distancing itself from its southern neighbour rather than simply having good relations with it some of the time, and more strained relations other times, without really ever drifting far apart?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 10:54 PM

People also say "multiculturalism" makes Canada distinctive from the US, but is there any evidence that the type of multiculturalism that results from immigration leads to a long-term difference from the US, when these immigrants eventually in one generation or two basically also assimilate into North American culture, with not that great a difference between the two North American neighbors' immigrant communities' descendants anyways.

I actually admire Quebec's (and Quebec's Francophone immigrants) version of multiculturalism/inter-culturalism whereby immigrants don't really assimilate to the US cultural juggernaut or even just plain French Canadian culture, but almost a kind of true hybrid (eg. Francophone African cultural influences are added on to Quebecois ones), rather than Anglo-Canada's immigrants who don't really keep their culture but still just assimilate to US culture and even shift their cultural identity to match US versions of theirs (eg. African and Asian immigrants after assimilating, just pick up on, or their kids do at least, American depictions and stereotypes of what black/African American and Asian Americans are like, rather than either keeping their own culture, or developing an Afro/Asian Canadian homegrown one).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 11:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think Canada will always be oriented toward the United States moreso than any other country, for good and for bad. We may have to increase our economic interactions with other countries for the time being, but that won't result in any significant cultural shift.

At the surface, assimilation tends to happen here within a generation. The veiled Muslim girls in the Avalon Mall say missus and b'y and their Jesus nerves is raw. Sean Majumder is a quintessential Newfoundlander. It really doesn't take long.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
I actually admire Quebec's (and Quebec's Francophone immigrants) version of multiculturalism/inter-culturalism whereby immigrants don't really assimilate to the US cultural juggernaut or even just plain French Canadian culture, but almost a kind of true hybrid (eg. Francophone African cultural influences are added on to Quebecois ones), rather than Anglo-Canada's immigrants who don't really keep their culture but still just assimilate to US culture and even shift their cultural identity to match US versions of theirs (eg. African and Asian immigrants after assimilating, just pick up on, or their kids do at least, American depictions and stereotypes of what black/African American and Asian Americans are like, rather than either keeping their own culture, or developing an Afro/Asian Canadian homegrown one).
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know what you think Asian American (Chinese American, right?) youth culture consists of. What are some of the main cultural markers of this group? Aside from learning French, do first gen Chinese kids from Brossard have more of their own thing going on?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:26 AM
True North

Quote:
Exactly. Embracing the idea of CANZUK doesn't necessarily mean we need to alter the relationship with our neighbour next door. It's counter productive. Canada and the US will always have that special relationship despite our differences on certain issues. It will always be that way. The current climate won't last forever.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:15 AM

Relations between Canada and the U.S. are probably at their worst since I've was born but it doesn't necessarily mean things will continue that way when we go into the 2020s.

I'm pretty sure that the U.S. will not be able to isolate itself as much as some Americans want it to. And very few Americans would want to traditional allies turning against them even when it comes to economics, trade and tourism.

Last edited by Loco101; Jan 25, 2018 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Relations between Canada and the U.S. are probably at their worst since I've been born but it doesn't necessarily mean things will continue that way when we go into the 2020s.

I'm pretty sure that the U.S. will not be able to isolate itself as much as some Americans want it to. And very few Americans would want to traditional allies turning against them even when it comes to economics, trade and tourism.
That's very true. They could become much worse ....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The thing is there have been lots of disagreements where it had been argued that Canada and the US have come apart and how Canada should either develop more independence from the US or put its focus on the world outside the US. For example, during the Vietnam war and the 60s which made Canada more self-confident in its own identity. More recently, more left-wing Canadians that disliked when Bush was in office said the same thing as people are saying about Trump now, but if US-Canada relations improve, years later, will people still feel the same way?

Has there really been a long term trend towards Canada distancing itself from its southern neighbour rather than simply having good relations with it some of the time, and more strained relations other times, without really ever drifting far apart?
I tend to view things this way as well. It's hard to believe at the moment, but when I was in university (incl. during the Clinton presidency) there was a surprising amount of talk in my classes and just people in general about a common currency, more open borders, and perhaps an EU type arrangement between Canada, the US and Mexico. And this was in a left-leaning, not particularly pro-American Ontario university. The bravest ones even evoked the possibility of merging Canada and the US!

Even though there are always ups and downs, I guess that was particularly a period where things didn't look too bad in the US viewed from Canada, and relations were relatively harmonious as well.

I suppose that people who were not there at the time, or weren't paying much attention, won't believe me. But I very clearly recall it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:45 AM

Quote:
I tend to view things this way as well. It's hard to believe at the moment, but when I was in university (incl. during the Clinton presidency) there was a surprising amount of talk in my classes and just people in general about a common currency, more open borders, and perhaps an EU type arrangement between Canada, the US and Mexico. And this was in a left-leaning, not particularly pro-American Ontario university. The bravest ones even evoked the possibility of merging Canada and the US!

Even though there are always ups and downs, I guess that was particularly a period where things didn't look too bad in the US viewed from Canada, and relations were relatively harmonious as well.

I suppose that people who were not there at the time, or weren't paying much attention, won't believe me. But I very clearly recall it.
I had the exact same experience in university as what you wrote about the topic. Same discussions, etc.. I even thought that an EU type arrangement might be worth looking at. Things were going much better economically in the U.S. than in Canada during the 1990s so I felt that we should be tied more closely to that. The Clinton/Chrétien years were great for Canada-U.S. relations.

Once George W Bush was "elected" things changed rapidly and after 9/11 even faster due to the way the American politicians were acting. I didn't want Canada to look at a closer union with the U.S.. But I still enjoyed visiting the United States and went many times.

Now with Trump as president, I want Canada to start looking towards other countries. I don't want to visit the U.S. at all and won't until Trump is gone. Bush was nothing compared to what Trump is being.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
People also say "multiculturalism" makes Canada distinctive from the US, but is there any evidence that the type of multiculturalism that results from immigration leads to a long-term difference from the US, when these immigrants eventually in one generation or two basically also assimilate into North American culture, with not that great a difference between the two North American neighbors' immigrant communities' descendants anyways.

I appreciate this insight and share much the same sentiment, though I wouldn't want to overplay it too much. In Quebec there is a constant push and pull between the local francophone culture and the globalized Anglo-American culture, with French-European culture adding a bit of its spice to the mix.

Quebec like many places in the western world (especially given its location) has a high degree of Americanization. It's just that American culture doesn't seem to occupy virtually all of the space. As a result things are, in my view, a lot more balanced.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 4:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I had the exact same experience in university as what you wrote about the topic. Same discussions, etc.. I even thought that an EU type arrangement might be worth looking at. Things were going much better economically in the U.S. than in Canada during the 1990s so I felt that we should be tied more closely to that. The Clinton/Chrétien years were great for Canada-U.S. relations.

Once George W Bush was "elected" things changed rapidly and after 9/11 even faster due to the way the American politicians were acting. I didn't want Canada to look at a closer union with the U.S.. But I still enjoyed visiting the United States and went many times.

Now with Trump as president, I want Canada to start looking towards other countries. I don't want to visit the U.S. at all and won't until Trump is gone. Bush was nothing compared to what Trump is being.
Thank you for confirming that I wasn't dreaming!

I was going to add that from a Canadian perspective two of the last three presidents have been exceptionally bad, separated by the Obama years which are viewed more positively but were nonetheless politically tense.

So the last couple of decades haven't been conducive to cozying up to the Americans.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is it just me or "should Canada join some union with the US" a common high school/university debate/discussion/essay topic, because I vaguely remember this kind of thing coming up too in the early 2000s, for me.

Quote:
I appreciate this insight and share much the same sentiment, though I wouldn't want to overplay it too much. In Quebec there is a constant push and pull between the local francophone culture and the globalized Anglo-American culture, with French-European culture adding a bit of its spice to the mix.

Quebec like many places in the western world (especially given its location) has a high degree of Americanization. It's just that American culture doesn't seem to occupy virtually all of the space. As a result things are, in my view, a lot more balanced.
Curiously, when people talk about US global dominance in a globalizing world and whether or not it will last (in light of other countries gradually industrializing and becoming economically prosperous), it's usually about economic power, geopolitical power, military power etc. but people rarely discuss if US cultural power or influence will become stronger or weaker.

People discuss the rise of the EU, or (in the past, Japan), China or India, or even countries like Australia or Canada, but it's interesting that not many question (or at least I don't hear about the debate as often) whether the rise of any of these countries will lead to any cultural sway, not just economic.

When, various European countries do well economically, does that make European media and culture popular overseas? If China or India rise economically, relative to the US, will that make Asian-made movies as popular overseas as the typical American Hollywood blockbuster? After all, Hollywood's cultural dominance, for instance was due to US economic power in part in the 1920s and the earlier days of cinema were previously not that US dominated, for the silent film days had Charlie Chaplin, and other British, French, European film industries proportionally more influential.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know what you think Asian American (Chinese American, right?) youth culture consists of. What are some of the main cultural markers of this group? Aside from learning French, do first gen Chinese kids from Brossard have more of their own thing going on?
I am not sure that the Chinese kid is the best example, given that they aren't one of the bigger communities in Quebec, and their integration with the francophone majority is fairly recent and only in its early stages.

How about this, though?

Pierre Kwenders, from the Congo, redoes a version of an Iroquois chant that was originally popularized by Madeleine Chartrand in the 60s. With the help of rapper Jacobus (Jacques-Alphonse Doucet) from Baie-Ste-Marie in SW Nova Scotia.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=230

The same song was also done Indian-style several years prior by Montreal DJ Ramasutra (Ramachandra Borcar) for the Québécois film Camping Sauvage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSGd8bxRMY

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Another example:

Italian Montrealer Marco Cagliari translates a bunch of Québécois standards into his mother tongue, records them Italian-style on an album, releases the better ones on the radio where they get decent airplay, and embarks on a sold-out tour all across Quebec.

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Marco-Cal...elease/5144226

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, "Mi Ricordo" is Italian for... "Je Me Souviens".

Last edited by Acajack; Jan 25, 2018 at 5:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada