HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 5:51 PM

JONES: New Grey Cup era with elimination of money grab
Terry Jones Edmonton Sun June 2, 2018

Going, going, going are the last of the Edmonton 2018 Grey Cup tickets.

Gone is the great Grey Cup money grab.

The 106th Grey Cup is the beginning on a new era in the hosting of the event. Edmonton and 2019 host Calgary, your correspondent has learned, have quietly combined with new CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie to create a new Grey Cup Era that begins NOW.

Gone are the days of teams pocketing $6-to-$8 million while spending as little on the Grey Cup Festival as they can get away with.

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie used the timing to inform your correspondent that the Grey Cup was about to enter a new era here this year.

For most of the new millennium the Grey Cup has been a major heist by the host city, in many cases to make up for losses incurred by owner and to get individual teams out of the hole.

“It wasn’t all about the profit when we came to the table,” said Grey Cup co-chairman and Eskimo president and CEO Len Rhodes. “We knew we could milk it and deliver more profit. But it wasn’t about the profit. It was about the Grey Cup Festival. We decided we wanted to think long term and how do we turn this property into the golden gem?”

Ambrosie believes that Rhodes, co-chairman Brad Sparrow and organizing committee general manager Duane Vienneau, in attempting to one-up themselves from the Doug Goss, Rick LeLacheur co-chaired 2010 Grey Cup, are about to send the event down a new road to the future.

“I think that’s the story,” said Ambrosie as ticket sales passed the 49,000 mark at 2 p.m. Saturday to leave only 6,819 available 24 hours they went on sale.

Ambrosie said there’s an Edmonton-Calgary combination in the works behind the scenes happening here followed by the 2019 edition in Calgary. And Edmonton 2018 is establishing the template for the future.

“What these guys have done is to have the vision that when you make the Grey Cup bigger, the future of the Grey Cup and the future of the league will be bigger.”

When the dust settles from the second Edmonton Stampede of Grey Cup tickets to go in less than a week — indeed only the second Grey Cup to be sold out before Labour Day — the Edmonton organizing committee will concentrate on delivering the greatest festival leading up to the game in history and do so with an ample budget. They won’t be holding bank to insure a massive cash infusion.

“It can’t belong to one city. It can’t belong in any given year to one team. It has to be an asset in any given year that everybody contributes to. The league has to own Grey Cup,” said Ambrosie.

Quietly, behind the scenes, the Eskimos and 2019 Grey Cup host Calgary Stampeders agreed to take far less than, say, the $5.1 million the Eskimos banked in 2010 even after deciding to upgrade the festival part of it by a couple of million after the six-day sellout.

“In 2018 the Eskimos are stewards of the Grey Cup,” said Ambrosie. “In a way we haven’t done before, the league is working with the host committee to make sure we’re constantly learning and constantly making the Grey Cup experience better than the year before. Instead of the host committee not doing the best they can, they’re holding themselves higher, more enlightened, standard.

“One of the things that people don’t know is that we’re actually putting together an evaluation methodology. We’re taking the bid document, the plan document, and basically creating a scorecard.

“I give Brad, Len and Duane full marks for not only being supportive but being enthusiastically supportive of being held accountable to what they promised they would do.

“That’s a game-changer for the league. The Grey Cup is our greatest asset as a league and we have to make it bigger.”

The dispersal of profits will be entirely different now.

“There will be a sharing of the proceeds,” said Ambrosie. “After the covering of costs there is a percentage that will go to the host, because they’re the ones doing the work, then there’s a percentage that will go to the other teams. Previously all of the proceeds went to the host team.

“It’s literally an end-to-end change in mindset. It’s a much bigger role for the league. It’s a collaboration with the host committee. It’s an accountability to your other partners. It’s all of those things wrapped into one momentous change.

“Both Edmonton, with Brad, Len and Duane embracing it, but further than that going to John Bean and John Hufnagel and they have similarly embraced it in Calgary.

“This is an important moment for the Grey Cup.”

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 6:22 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ TSN had Rod Black on the Argos/Ticats game? I could only imagine how that went...
It was worse than you could imagine. It was a nightmare. He kept circling back again and again to the same comments and inane Manziel questions for Duane. I don't see why they can't rein him in - he's not actually all that bad until he gets going with the NFL-connections stuff or the dumb Rod-isms ("the rock", "up the gut", "pistol formation", "jukes and jives and dances", "or will he?" etc.).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Over 47,000 tickets sold for the Grey Cup. Capacity for the game is 55,819.
Just curious, but isn't the capacity of Commonwealth Stadium +60,000?
I recall a regular-season CFL game there a few years ago against the Roughriders, attendance was over 60,000.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Just curious, but isn't the capacity of Commonwealth Stadium +60,000?
I recall a regular-season CFL game there a few years ago against the Roughriders, attendance was over 60,000.
Reduced seat capacity after the new seats were installed.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It was worse than you could imagine. It was a nightmare. He kept circling back again and again to the same comments and inane Manziel questions for Duane. I don't see why they can't rein him in - he's not actually all that bad until he gets going with the NFL-connections stuff or the dumb Rod-isms ("the rock", "up the gut", "pistol formation", "jukes and jives and dances", "or will he?" etc.).
No worse than the Montreal-Ottawa game. Something-or-other about the CFL field being 60 yards wide and Montreal and Ottawa being at opposite ends of the 401....yet somehow this clod manages to hang onto his job. TSN must be very hard up, or Black has relatives on the corporation's BoG, or has incriminating pics of someone high up the food chain, or.....what?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
No worse than the Montreal-Ottawa game. Something-or-other about the CFL field being 60 yards wide and Montreal and Ottawa being at opposite ends of the 401....yet somehow this clod manages to hang onto his job. TSN must be very hard up, or Black has relatives on the corporation's BoG, or has incriminating pics of someone high up the food chain, or.....what?
I remember when he was at CTV in Winnipeg back in the last century.
He should stick with figure skating.
TSN should find a woman to do play by play.
"Sorry Rod, but its 2018 and all that and we just need to go in another direction."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
He should stick with figure skating.
Which is pretty much the reason why most don't like him and jump on the lame anti Rod Black bandwagon.

You won't hear about the time he saved the broadcast and got it back on course when the audio went out in the studio and then on the anthem singer. The broadcast was off to a brutal start and he righted the ship.

I was in the biz and know he's a solid pro but I guess every profession has to have a whipping boy, and he's the CFLs but there's a few guys I would turf before him.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Which is pretty much the reason why most don't like him and jump on the lame anti Rod Black bandwagon.

You won't hear about the time he saved the broadcast and got it back on course when the audio went out in the studio and then on the anthem singer. The broadcast was off to a brutal start and he righted the ship.

I was in the biz and know he's a solid pro but I guess every profession has to have a whipping boy, and he's the CFLs but there's a few guys I would turf before him.
Well lets just say that the entire TSN CFL broadcasts of the games leave much to be desired.
Picking a "colour" topic and then going on and on until you are screaming "SHUT UP!!" at the TV.
Meanwhile the camera will be on the player in question and miss the play entirely.
Not saying what the penalty was or showing the penalty on replay

Sometimes its so bad I'll sync up the local radio play-by-play guys with the TV action.

As for Black, well for every time he righted the broadcast ship he's driven away 10 viewers with his inane commentary and constant fellatio to anyone who had a whiff in the NFL.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:11 PM

I don't think having some new blood on the CFL telecasts would be a terrible idea... it doesn't have to be a wholesale change, maybe just add one new panelist to replace Schultz, preferably a defensive player. Also one new PxP person and one new colour guy.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:

I agree fully. The negativity around Rod Black is overdone, and it's become a red herring to a generally positive discussion about the CFL product. Much of this seems to be driven by the annoyingly Canadian tendency for petty criticism of our own stuff. Incidentally, Rod Black also does NBA games on TSN -- I doubt that NBA viewers criticize him to the same extent as CFL viewers (or, dare I ask, is Rod Black more tolerable when he is commentating for a U.S. league, rather than a Canadian one?).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think having some new blood on the CFL telecasts would be a terrible idea... it doesn't have to be a wholesale change, maybe just add one new panelist to replace Schultz, preferably a defensive player. Also one new PxP person and one new colour guy.
They added the Baroness to host Thursday Night Football and former CB Davis Sanchez is now part of the (rotating) panel.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
I agree fully. The negativity around Rod Black is overdone, and it's become a red herring to a generally positive discussion about the CFL product.
Same as officiating, people who don't have two clues bitch about it. Apparently it is the same for every sport, people think their sport is the worst officiated sport in existence and never fail to say so. I think it is some form of wanting to belong, like water cooler talk and office pools.

I don't remember a year where the CFL has had such a positive off season and start.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:49 PM

How can the CFL put more 'bums in seats'? Commissioner Randy Ambrosie shares his business vision
The former corporate executive with a proud history in and love for the CFL discussed his vision and progress in an interview with Postmedia
Dan Barnes National Post June 5, 2018

Randy Ambrosie, a former corporate executive with a proud history in and love for the Canadian Football League, is intent on transforming its business operations. In an interview with Postmedia’s Dan Barnes, Ambrosie discussed his vision and progress. The transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity.

Q: This is month 11 for you, making you the 13th longest-serving commissioner already. What would you say has been your biggest challenge and what has been the most satisfying thing so far?

A: I thought about the question of biggest challenge. I’m just not sure I’ve got one answer to that. So take the other side of it. Mine is a background in data, so I’m a financial guy by nature.

In doing a consolidation of our league’s financials and then sitting down with the governors and showing them what we’ve got — doing an analysis of where our revenues are accelerating and where they’re not, doing an analysis of where our expenses are accelerating and where they’re not — showing them that whole thing and making a case for us running the league differently and just how they responded to that in such an amazing way; in that moment I knew I was working with these amazing men.

That part translates into getting with the team presidents, and now that we know where our challenges are, let’s figure out a plan to go forward. And the way the team presidents responded to that was remarkable. You know, it’s never perfect, but they understood it. It’s like we just needed to show them. We needed to show one another what we had.

It’s been clear to me that those two groups, the league governors and the team presidents, are the key to the entire future of the league because you cannot work with one over the other. You have to do all your day-to-day work with the team presidents because they literally are the guys who understand the business the best. They understand the game. They are the connecting tissue between governance and management because they have a foot in both worlds. Whereas the governors are more detached from the game of football.

I think this group all fundamentally understand that this league had never really reached its full potential and there’s an opportunity to do that. And I’m incredibly encouraged by the attitude that the governors have. There’s a desire for this league to be better than it is.

So one of the things that we’ve done is gone out to the other leagues and I’ve tried to gather a sense of what their best practices are. You learn a lot from that exercise.

So for example, the NBA, David Stern creates a team services group. It was an acknowledgement that in some of your core areas of business, selling tickets and selling sponsorships, not all the teams are as good as all the other teams. So the first thing they did is realize they can compete on the court, but they had to co-operate and collaborate off the court.

The league office, for the very first time in our history, has gotten into the ticket-selling business. Why? Because we should be the collaborator. We should figure out why this team sells more tickets than that team. What is it that they’re doing that somebody else isn’t doing? And what we just did is basically take the page out of the NBA playbook and we’ve installed it in our own business.

Data is the second thing, because you just have to have more information. You have to be able to show them that they’re in last place in a particular area. We’ve undertaken a big data project so that we can sit in a room and tell everybody what they’re good at, what they’re not as good at, and use that as a catalyst for change.

The third leg of our pillar is fan engagement. It doesn’t make sense to have all nine teams trying to coordinate ways of bringing value into the stadiums when you might be able to do national deals for things that you can do from an events perspective.

You’re going to see some announcements on partnerships that we’re establishing that no one team would likely be able to do on their own. But if as a league you’re going to potential partners and saying. ‘how about you do this for all nine teams, maybe 10 one day,’ that partner goes ‘wait a minute, we might have not have been interested if we were doing this on a one-off basis, but doing it for the whole group, that’s a totally different thing.’

Q: Hasn’t that always been the power of having the league office in Toronto?

A: No. I love (Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner) Bob Young and one of the things I said to Bob one day, I said, ‘for the last few years, the league office has been a necessary evil.’ Bob said, ‘well, no you’re wrong.’ And I go, ‘I’m wrong?’ And he says, ‘yeah, it wasn’t just the last few years.’

And in a wonderful way he was just trying to cause in me an appreciation for the fact that I had a real opportunity to turn the league office into a value creation. But you have to do one thing. You can’t tell them what you want to do. You have to align yourself with what’s important to them.

So, first thing is bums in seats and bums in seats is selling tickets and all the things you can do to help them make ticket selling a more successful endeavour. Part of that is fan engagement, reasons for somebody who may not have come to game to go, ‘wait a minute, they’re doing something here, maybe we ought to go.’

And then when they get there, you make sure that you give them a world-class experience and then that kid starts tugging on mom and dad’s arm on the way out and says, ‘can we come back?’ Now you may have fans for life.

So the amalgam of those things represents something that the league office can do that will have a direct impact on the team success.

And that was the fundamental tone of our business plan, with one last piece. And that was, I said this will be the last year that we present the business plan and the teams have nine other plans. Next year we’ll have one plan. All nine teams and the league will have one plan. Targets for total revenue growth, targets for our expenses.

We are going to report to you the totality of what is happening in the league because I really am not interested in what the league office is doing.

That’s a little business. What I’m interested in is the totality of what the league is doing. That’s a big business and for a guy like me that’s where it gets interesting. I can tell you I’ve got the governors completely bought in and engaged in that because it just makes sense.

Q: Do you already have a sense of where you are financially as a league? Where are your revenues?

A: I won’t tell you that. Not good enough. We have a 1.3 per cent five-year annual compound growth rate on revenues, that I will tell you. And that’s basically a business that I wouldn’t invest in personally. I’m not interested. That’s not outpacing inflation. We have a business that has almost a five per cent growth rate on expenses. So the combination of a 1.3 per cent kegger on revenue and a five per cent kegger on expenses is not a particularly interesting business.

So we’ve broken it down by categories. We know exactly where our expenses are rising faster than in other areas … I just laid that out and there’s no magic in it, but I just said, ‘is this what we want’ and the answer is of course a resounding no.

And then what I’ve got is nine team presidents totally willing to lean in and help solve the problem and nine league governors totally committed to supporting an effort to making this a different business.

So David (Braley, the owner of the B.C. Lions), who I love, gives me a really hard time about accepting a 1.3 per cent kegger. And I say, ‘well, David, it’s really not my keg.’ I’m just reporting the news here. I didn’t create the problem. But David wants it to be better and he wants to be proud of the growth rate.

So I’d say well, first of all, we have an unsold inventory of seats. We have a disparate and I would argue relatively undervalued asset in sponsorships … So you translate this all into a three-year plan to get more bums in seats and what happens is, your causation when you’re watching on TV is, it becomes more exciting. Bums in seats translate into viewership.

So we’ve got everybody rallying around these few basic ideas.

Q: This year will also feature the end of the current CBA. How active are you in those discussions? And what do they consist of?

A: There’s a provision in the CBA that required that the commissioner and the heads of the PA (players’ association) meet once a month, but that wasn’t being done. So the simple act of doing that is just such a game-changer. First of all, the players are not our adversaries … In fact, we just had them and their executive team in to see our full business plan. And I wanted them to see the whole thing. I want them to feel part of what we’re building here. I can’t ask them to take a leap of faith with me if I’m not prepared to show them what we’re working on. It was remarkable.

And I keep saying to Jeff (Keeping, a Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive lineman) and Brian (Ramsay, a retired offensive lineman), the way for the players to win is for the league to grow. Literally the future is written by our collective ability to drive this league forward and make it stronger, make it bigger. That’s when the players are ultimately going to reach their full potential to reap their financial rewards.

And we should be thinking about that. How do we do that best together? And I think it’s been working … If we talk to one another and we’re sharing with them a full understanding of where the league is today and where we can be in five years, in seven years, in 10 years. If we get this right, I think we can get them excited about the future and find a way past the little issues on our way to something bigger.

Q: Have you been able to identify what appears to be their major issue? Is it salary only?

A: I think we’re being cautious about kind of starting to negotiate before we negotiate. So right now we’re just talking and sharing ideas … The fact that we were able to make the change last year away from padded practices and adding the extra week to the season to make sure that we didn’t have players playing three games in 11 days, I think that those things are evidence that we can find a way to do things together.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:54 PM

Ambrosie talks Manziel mania, CFL's potential expansion to Halifax
TSN.ca June 5 2018

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie joins Dave Naylor to share his thoughts on all the attention surrounding Johnny Manziel, update the process of the league's potential expansion to Halifax, discuss the impact he thinks MLSE will have on the Argonauts and more.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 9:03 PM

Ambrosie: Bidding for the Grey Cup involves more than just the game
TSN EDMONTON 1260
The Jason Gregor Show May 31 2018

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie joined us to discuss the CFL and the Grey Cup coming to Edmonton

TSN 1040 Vancouver
CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie guests

Ambrosie: BMO Field is a perfect place for CFL Football
TSN Toronto 1050
Landsberg in the Morning June 5 2018

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie joins Michael and Carlo Colaiacovo in studio to discuss the Argonauts future, Johnny Manziel's debut in the CFL, the upcoming season and more.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
How can the CFL put more 'bums in seats'? Commissioner Randy Ambrosie shares his business vision
The former corporate executive with a proud history in and love for the CFL discussed his vision and progress in an interview with Postmedia
Dan Barnes National Post June 5, 2018

Randy Ambrosie, a former corporate executive with a proud history in and love for the Canadian Football League, is intent on transforming its business operations. In an interview with Postmedia’s Dan Barnes, Ambrosie discussed his vision and progress. The transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity.

Q: This is month 11 for you, making you the 13th longest-serving commissioner already. What would you say has been your biggest challenge and what has been the most satisfying thing so far?

A: I thought about the question of biggest challenge. I’m just not sure I’ve got one answer to that. So take the other side of it. Mine is a background in data, so I’m a financial guy by nature.

In doing a consolidation of our league’s financials and then sitting down with the governors and showing them what we’ve got — doing an analysis of where our revenues are accelerating and where they’re not, doing an analysis of where our expenses are accelerating and where they’re not — showing them that whole thing and making a case for us running the league differently and just how they responded to that in such an amazing way; in that moment I knew I was working with these amazing men.

That part translates into getting with the team presidents, and now that we know where our challenges are, let’s figure out a plan to go forward. And the way the team presidents responded to that was remarkable. You know, it’s never perfect, but they understood it. It’s like we just needed to show them. We needed to show one another what we had.

It’s been clear to me that those two groups, the league governors and the team presidents, are the key to the entire future of the league because you cannot work with one over the other. You have to do all your day-to-day work with the team presidents because they literally are the guys who understand the business the best. They understand the game. They are the connecting tissue between governance and management because they have a foot in both worlds. Whereas the governors are more detached from the game of football.

I think this group all fundamentally understand that this league had never really reached its full potential and there’s an opportunity to do that. And I’m incredibly encouraged by the attitude that the governors have. There’s a desire for this league to be better than it is.

So one of the things that we’ve done is gone out to the other leagues and I’ve tried to gather a sense of what their best practices are. You learn a lot from that exercise.

So for example, the NBA, David Stern creates a team services group. It was an acknowledgement that in some of your core areas of business, selling tickets and selling sponsorships, not all the teams are as good as all the other teams. So the first thing they did is realize they can compete on the court, but they had to co-operate and collaborate off the court.

The league office, for the very first time in our history, has gotten into the ticket-selling business. Why? Because we should be the collaborator. We should figure out why this team sells more tickets than that team. What is it that they’re doing that somebody else isn’t doing? And what we just did is basically take the page out of the NBA playbook and we’ve installed it in our own business.

Data is the second thing, because you just have to have more information. You have to be able to show them that they’re in last place in a particular area. We’ve undertaken a big data project so that we can sit in a room and tell everybody what they’re good at, what they’re not as good at, and use that as a catalyst for change.

The third leg of our pillar is fan engagement. It doesn’t make sense to have all nine teams trying to coordinate ways of bringing value into the stadiums when you might be able to do national deals for things that you can do from an events perspective.

You’re going to see some announcements on partnerships that we’re establishing that no one team would likely be able to do on their own. But if as a league you’re going to potential partners and saying. ‘how about you do this for all nine teams, maybe 10 one day,’ that partner goes ‘wait a minute, we might have not have been interested if we were doing this on a one-off basis, but doing it for the whole group, that’s a totally different thing.’

Q: Hasn’t that always been the power of having the league office in Toronto?

A: No. I love (Hamilton Tiger-Cats owner) Bob Young and one of the things I said to Bob one day, I said, ‘for the last few years, the league office has been a necessary evil.’ Bob said, ‘well, no you’re wrong.’ And I go, ‘I’m wrong?’ And he says, ‘yeah, it wasn’t just the last few years.’

And in a wonderful way he was just trying to cause in me an appreciation for the fact that I had a real opportunity to turn the league office into a value creation. But you have to do one thing. You can’t tell them what you want to do. You have to align yourself with what’s important to them.

So, first thing is bums in seats and bums in seats is selling tickets and all the things you can do to help them make ticket selling a more successful endeavour. Part of that is fan engagement, reasons for somebody who may not have come to game to go, ‘wait a minute, they’re doing something here, maybe we ought to go.’

And then when they get there, you make sure that you give them a world-class experience and then that kid starts tugging on mom and dad’s arm on the way out and says, ‘can we come back?’ Now you may have fans for life.

So the amalgam of those things represents something that the league office can do that will have a direct impact on the team success.

And that was the fundamental tone of our business plan, with one last piece. And that was, I said this will be the last year that we present the business plan and the teams have nine other plans. Next year we’ll have one plan. All nine teams and the league will have one plan. Targets for total revenue growth, targets for our expenses.

We are going to report to you the totality of what is happening in the league because I really am not interested in what the league office is doing.

That’s a little business. What I’m interested in is the totality of what the league is doing. That’s a big business and for a guy like me that’s where it gets interesting. I can tell you I’ve got the governors completely bought in and engaged in that because it just makes sense.

Q: Do you already have a sense of where you are financially as a league? Where are your revenues?

A: I won’t tell you that. Not good enough. We have a 1.3 per cent five-year annual compound growth rate on revenues, that I will tell you. And that’s basically a business that I wouldn’t invest in personally. I’m not interested. That’s not outpacing inflation. We have a business that has almost a five per cent growth rate on expenses. So the combination of a 1.3 per cent kegger on revenue and a five per cent kegger on expenses is not a particularly interesting business.

So we’ve broken it down by categories. We know exactly where our expenses are rising faster than in other areas … I just laid that out and there’s no magic in it, but I just said, ‘is this what we want’ and the answer is of course a resounding no.

And then what I’ve got is nine team presidents totally willing to lean in and help solve the problem and nine league governors totally committed to supporting an effort to making this a different business.

So David (Braley, the owner of the B.C. Lions), who I love, gives me a really hard time about accepting a 1.3 per cent kegger. And I say, ‘well, David, it’s really not my keg.’ I’m just reporting the news here. I didn’t create the problem. But David wants it to be better and he wants to be proud of the growth rate.

So I’d say well, first of all, we have an unsold inventory of seats. We have a disparate and I would argue relatively undervalued asset in sponsorships … So you translate this all into a three-year plan to get more bums in seats and what happens is, your causation when you’re watching on TV is, it becomes more exciting. Bums in seats translate into viewership.

So we’ve got everybody rallying around these few basic ideas.

Q: This year will also feature the end of the current CBA. How active are you in those discussions? And what do they consist of?

A: There’s a provision in the CBA that required that the commissioner and the heads of the PA (players’ association) meet once a month, but that wasn’t being done. So the simple act of doing that is just such a game-changer. First of all, the players are not our adversaries … In fact, we just had them and their executive team in to see our full business plan. And I wanted them to see the whole thing. I want them to feel part of what we’re building here. I can’t ask them to take a leap of faith with me if I’m not prepared to show them what we’re working on. It was remarkable.

And I keep saying to Jeff (Keeping, a Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive lineman) and Brian (Ramsay, a retired offensive lineman), the way for the players to win is for the league to grow. Literally the future is written by our collective ability to drive this league forward and make it stronger, make it bigger. That’s when the players are ultimately going to reach their full potential to reap their financial rewards.

And we should be thinking about that. How do we do that best together? And I think it’s been working … If we talk to one another and we’re sharing with them a full understanding of where the league is today and where we can be in five years, in seven years, in 10 years. If we get this right, I think we can get them excited about the future and find a way past the little issues on our way to something bigger.

Q: Have you been able to identify what appears to be their major issue? Is it salary only?

A: I think we’re being cautious about kind of starting to negotiate before we negotiate. So right now we’re just talking and sharing ideas … The fact that we were able to make the change last year away from padded practices and adding the extra week to the season to make sure that we didn’t have players playing three games in 11 days, I think that those things are evidence that we can find a way to do things together.
I know a lot of people on here liked Cohon as commish but this guy blows him out of the water he is light years ahead of any previous CFL commsh. His passion, organization and drive is the best thing that has happened to the CFL in decades!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I know a lot of people on here liked Cohon as commish but this guy blows him out of the water he is light years ahead of any previous CFL commsh. His passion, organization and drive is the best thing that has happened to the CFL in decades!
Yup, he has big plans.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:29 AM

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie joins Tim & Sid
Sportsnet.ca June 5, 2018

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie joined Tim and Sid for an extended sit down to talk about the league.

Some good chat about the Halifax franchise, no news but some good general thoughts.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
He certainly talks like he has the management know how, and his resume would seem to back up that impression. When you combine that with the credibility he has as someone who had a successful playing career in the CFL, then that's quite a combination.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 4:09 AM

Quote:
...Incidentally, Rod Black also does NBA games on TSN -- I doubt that NBA viewers criticize him to the same extent as CFL viewers (or, dare I ask, is Rod Black more tolerable when he is commentating for a U.S. league, rather than a Canadian one?).
Black is one of the in-studio hosts on TSN's NBA telecasts, not play by play, so there's not nearly as much opportunity for him to fuck up there. It's painfully obvious, however, that he doesn't have the slightest clue about the game, and his hero-worship of Leo Rautins is just, well, embarrassing.

The reason NBA viewers don't criticize him to the same extent as do CFL viewers is that there are so few of us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada