HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 12:26 AM

Semi-new renderings of the new Nike buildings:

http://lifeafterfootball.eu/the-envi...nsion-by-nike/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:47 AM

It looks fantastic! All in all I'd prefer not to work in a isolated, car focused suburban environment, especially one with a motte, this looks like a great place to spend ones day and be productive.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:19 PM

Ya, I agree. I think the dilemma they've had is that this campus began in the 80's before there was a comprehensive mass-transit plan, ie. light-rail, and now they've been forced to decide whether to continue developing at the current campus or elsewhere.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Ya, I agree. I think the dilemma they've had is that this campus began in the 80's before there was a comprehensive mass-transit plan, ie. light-rail, and now they've been forced to decide whether to continue developing at the current campus or elsewhere.
Well they had a chance to take a prime spot in the south waterfront district and make a city campus. So I'm sure they don't regret it one bit. They literally had dips on a prime downtown spot

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 6:23 PM
Registered Ugly

It's a 31 minute ride from Merlo Rd./SW 158th MAX Station to Pioneer Square, which means it's faster to get from Nike to downtown Portland by transit than it is from anywhere outside of about SE/NE 50th. Draw a radius from Sellwood through Brentwood to Montavilla and continue all the way around to St. Johns and it's still a shorter commute time by transit to or from downtown, with the exception of those lucky enough to be right on a MAX line (Orange, Blue, or Yellow). Even though it's farther out, there are only two MAX stops between Goose Hollow and downtown Beaverton. There are only 6 stops between Nike and Goose Hollow.

I understand that the area is not as hip as Portland, but it has a lot going for it from a corporate perspective. They can expand unabated, with fewer restrictions in unincorporated Washington county, and with less taxes. The housing is more affordable for their employees, and it's easy to get to the action. For those who want to live in Downtown Portland, Pearl, or NW, the commute is a breeze. It's the reverse commute by car as most people, so it's like a 20 minute drive. It used to take me 30 minutes on the nose every morning to drive to Hillsboro from Downtown PDX.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 7:05 PM

I like your optimisim, but going through that tunnel is never a breeze...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 8:54 PM

Nike adds 6th building to expansion, commits to ambitious renewable plan
Oct 7, 2016, 1:34pm PDT
Andy Giegerich Digital Managing Editor
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...521&j=76051231
Quote:
Nike Inc. said Friday it will add a sixth building as part of its world headquarters expansion in Washington County.

The building, which Nike will build to LEED Platinum standards, will comprise 360,000 square feet with an additional 330,000 square feet for parking.

The work is set to begin in mid-2017.

...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:46 AM

https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/ind...=2419&page=712

A proposal a few weeks ago was submitted to Hillsboro for demolishing and redrawing some of the OGI campus in AmberGlen. Today, the first visible plans were posted for what may end up in the soon to be created four blocks.

"Conceptual" drawings and text references 260+ DU on 1.5~1.75 acres (if I remember correctly) at 6 floors.

On the other side of the park area 2 blocks are being developed with 250+ DU and 3 and 4 floor buildings along with a hotel on an adjacent block at 5 floors.

Googling for AmberGlen SunCap brought me to this Pintrest link: https://www.pinterest.com/lrsarchite...en-apartments/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:54 AM
Registered Ugly

Here are a few photos of the NIKE WHQ expansion, taken today. There's definitely more going on than you can see here, but the most interesting areas under construction definitely were not open to the public.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:29 AM
A before E

Nike architecture is architecture I find myself caring the least about because it is stuff most of us will never experience, let alone see. They could be building a series of cardboard box office buildings on their campus and we would never know.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:35 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Nike architecture is architecture I find myself caring the least about because it is stuff most of us will never experience, let alone see. They could be building a series of cardboard box office buildings on their campus and we would never know.
You're welcome.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:19 PM

Man, just think about what Portland would be if Nike had built downtown or in South waterfront. It changes our city tear in the US. Such a shame a cities potential can be dictated by the whims of the Rich people it produces. Look at Seattle, Amazon is making a statement downtown. Huge missed opportunity for both the city and Nike.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:44 PM
Registered Ugly

Why would they, though? They own all the land and the taxes are lower. Washington County also has a superb quality of life, especially for people with families.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:48 PM

Thank you subterranean for the pics!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Man, just think about what Portland would be if Nike had built downtown or in South waterfront. It changes our city tear in the US. Such a shame a cities potential can be dictated by the whims of the Rich people it produces. Look at Seattle, Amazon is making a statement downtown. Huge missed opportunity for both the city and Nike.
I wouldn't mind seeing a local company become an Amazon like company that builds a group of buildings downtown.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a local company become an Amazon like company that builds a group of buildings downtown.
Absolutely.

I don't understand Nike at all. On the one hand, Phil Knight gives so much to philanthropy, including half a billion dollars to OHSU for cancer research. On the other hand, he seems to want nothing to do with Portland.

I don't get it.

Could you imagine if, a decade ago, Nike had decided to create a campus for themselves downtown, or just across the river in inner east side? Imagine if, instead of that nasty Yard building, we had a Nike tower - or a slew of Nike towers.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Absolutely.

I don't understand Nike at all. On the one hand, Phil Knight gives so much to philanthropy, including half a billion dollars to OHSU for cancer research. On the other hand, he seems to want nothing to do with Portland.

I don't get it.

Could you imagine if, a decade ago, Nike had decided to create a campus for themselves downtown, or just across the river in inner east side? Imagine if, instead of that nasty Yard building, we had a Nike tower - or a slew of Nike towers.
I don't get it either. Being from across the country, people from home (east coast) ask me what major companies are located in the Portland area and they're always surprised that the Nike HQ is in the metro area.

Most Oregon companies are proud to make their roots in the state known, but it doesn't seem like Nike does.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:26 PM
Registered Ugly

Sure, it would be cool if we had some beautiful Nike campus with gleaming skyscrapers. But really, besides it being a pretty beautiful and peaceful campus, the athletic facilities on site could never be downtown.

There's a huge natural area with a trail system just south of Jenkins, a full-size outdoor track, soccer field, multiple outdoor fields in fact, and the Nike jogging trails on-site.

It's a shoe company, not a tech company. It's a lot easier to have athletic facilities on a suburban campus than it is to have them in a downtown. I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:11 PM
Registered Ugly

Nike Campus, over downtown, to scale.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:50 PM

What a bizarre argument. Many companies have corporate headquarters in the suburbs of major cities. It's not like Nike is some weird exception. They also heavily "promote" Oregon through their products. The Oregon Ducks are a perfect example of this. A lot of Nike's promotional material also includes "Beaverton, Oregon". They definitely aren't shy about being located in Oregon. I'm not even a Nike fan but their presence in Oregon is pretty well known world-wide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon