HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:17 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Hmmm.. I have a different opinion of Lyft and Uber. I had a friend visiting from South Korea recently and he took a taxi from the top of North Michigan ave to Belmont and Broadway, an $11 trip when I have taken it. The cab driver couldn't find Belmont and Broadway and was dropped off two miles from there at $40 later - my friend took a CTA bus to from there to the correct location. On his way to his Air Bnb in Wicker Park leaving Lakeview I told the taxi driver to drop my friend off at North and Milwaukee. We were at Belmont and Broadway. Later that night I text my friend if he got back ok and again the cab driver couldn't find North and Milwaukee and he got let off about a mile from there at $50 later. I know too many stories of people getting ripped off by cab drivers. When I worked in a restaurant I cant tell you the number of tourists that got screwed taking a cab from the Sears Tower to around Michigan and Ohio - $20-$60. At least with Uber and Lyft that doesn't happen.
I'm surprised. I've never had this happen to me, even when I've very much looked like a tourist, and I take a LOT of taxis. I've never even heard of this happening in Chicago, in fact, and as an Airbnb host I've had over 500 bookings, about half of which have been foreigners.

It did happen to me once in San Francisco, he tried to charge me $30 for what I figured was a $10 fare but he'd driven WAY out of the way along the waterfront. I gave him $10 and got out. He started yelling at me, threatening to call the police. I told him to go ahead and call the police, that I had his nonsensical route in my trip history in my phone and would show the cops. He still was blustering when I finished off with, "Don't fuck with a Chicagoan, asshole!" He drove off and, of course, nothing came of it.

Except when there's a language barrier, people really need to stand up for themselves. All of us on here know that it's a bald-faced lie if a taxi-driver claims not to be able to find North and Milwaukee or Belmont and Broadway, but even for a reasonably savvy tourist with a guidebook and a map it should be extremely obvious that either of those places are a) easy to find, and b) common destinations that any taxi driver knows. I'm not in any way blaming the victim here, but at the same time I grew up as a meek and mild person and still am usually quiet and deferential but I refuse to allow people to cheat me, especially in a way that terribly inconveniences me. Dropping someone off miles from their destination is just unacceptable - overcharging is one thing, but dropping someone miles from their destination should be grounds for immediate loss of livery license, IMHO. In a just world, it'd be grounds for summary execution (ok, maybe not that extreme, but it is really unacceptable and far beyond "only" scamming a vulnerable person).

I'd strongly recommend you give any future Korean visitor friends or similar tips on how to avoid being scammed by a cabbie. It's not really that hard to call their bluff. I don't think any cop is going to side with a cabbie against a tourist if the fare is wildly off what it should be and most cabbies won't spend the time to wait for the cops and lose out of fares in the mean time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah, the grass is always greener. I've had nothing but good experiences with Uber and nothing but miserable experiences with cabs. There is never a cab anywhere near where I am in Avondale and I've had people wait an hour or more for one to show up. Ubers are always instant and if they really can't find my place they just cancel and someone who can negotiate one way streets finds us.
It's definitely true that the outer neighborhood benefit the most from Lyft/Uber. I can hail a cab in front of my home, but when I visit friends in areas without the taxi density of River North it's nice to have Lyft/Uber just a few minutes away from nearly any point in Chicago - I'll grant you that for sure.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by emathias; Jun 28, 2017 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Hmmm.. I have a different opinion of Lyft and Uber. I had a friend visiting from South Korea recently and he took a taxi from the top of North Michigan ave to Belmont and Broadway, an $11 trip when I have taken it. The cab driver couldn't find Belmont and Broadway and was dropped off two miles from there at $40 later - my friend took a CTA bus to from there to the correct location. On his way to his Air Bnb in Wicker Park leaving Lakeview I told the taxi driver to drop my friend off at North and Milwaukee. We were at Belmont and Broadway. Later that night I text my friend if he got back ok and again the cab driver couldn't find North and Milwaukee and he got let off about a mile from there at $50 later. I know too many stories of people getting ripped off by cab drivers. When I worked in a restaurant I cant tell you the number of tourists that got screwed taking a cab from the Sears Tower to around Michigan and Ohio - $20-$60. At least with Uber and Lyft that doesn't happen.

Uber drivers tend to be part-time with over half quitting after a year. The insurance apparatus is elaborate and murky to say the least. Coming from both an insurance and legal background I can say I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those cars. Accident frequency is significantly higher than those involving cabs and collecting on the policy is a lot more difficult, particularly if the Uber driver never opted into the company coverage (the only proof of insurance required is the personal auto coverage that excludes commercial activity). I saw in the trade press that a couple of auto carriers are offering rideshare endorsements but that just started this year so it won't be very common. Saving $5 or $10 just isn't worth the added risk and aggravation.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I hope we're both wrong because that "scar" just sticks out!
was able to confirm that the NE tower does cover the 'scar' and continue the lower street wall... bKL is even trying to find ways to introduce some glazing in to the lower parts of the wall in the parking levels...

overall plan includes some very clever landscaping...

the towers are mostly or all glass when I saw them with some interesting folded plane stuff going on... hard to describe... no clear geometric form gimmicks like Vista...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:01 PM

I know a bunch came down in the last six months or so but abunch have gone up in the past month. are we still up in the 40's. Has anyone done a crane count recently?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
I know a bunch came down in the last six months or so but abunch have gone up in the past month. are we still up in the 40's. Has anyone done a crane count recently?
Daniel Schell has been keeping count in his blog, with the current number of cranes being 32. SoMi and Essex at the Park are currently installing theirs, so our count will soon be at 34.

https://buildingupchicago.com/2017/0...returns-to-32/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

It's definitely true that the outer neighborhood benefit the most from Lyft/Uber. I can hail a cab in front of my home, but when I visit friends in areas without the taxi density of River North it's nice to have Lyft/Uber just a few minutes away from nearly any point in Chicago - I'll grant you that for sure.
It's not just that they benefit, it's that the cab industry literally did not serve these areas. And no, cabbies can't find Milwaukee and Belmont, that's right by where I live. They can maybe find their way to the main intersection, but good luck getting them to go down the mess of angled side streets around there and pick you up. When I moved here before Uber, no one wanted to visit me because they couldn't get a ride home late at night. I had parties where drunk friends had to wait for well over an hour before they gave it up and walked to Logan Square and took the Blue line all the way downtown and back out on the Red. Now no one cares because Uber is almost instantaneous over here.

As I said, the grass is always greener. People always quickly forget how bad things once were. Sure cabs might be slightly better if you are trying to hail one in LSE, but outside of that they were and are terrible. I love how everyone used to shit on cab drivers as "dangerous aggressive drivers" and now the criticism is "Uber drivers don't drive fast or aggressively enough". Nothing has changed, cab drivers a far worse. They also block bike and bus lanes. They also stop in the middle of the street to drop people off. They do all the same shit as Uber drivers, but they charge more and don't have the advantages brought by technology. The sooner the cab industry collapses and is put out of its misery, the better.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:51 PM
Plenary pleasures.

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC - this is the highrise thread, and any discussion regarding taxis vs. ride-sharing needs to move to a different thread. Thank you kindly!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
was able to confirm that the NE tower does cover the 'scar' and continue the lower street wall... bKL is even trying to find ways to introduce some glazing in to the lower parts of the wall in the parking levels...

the towers are mostly or all glass when I saw them with some interesting folded plane stuff going on... hard to describe... no clear geometric form gimmicks like Vista...
What a big relief! And I'm so impressed that you've seen the renderings. What else can you share with us? July 10 is so far away.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:24 PM

Drawings offer glimpse at North Bridge mall expansion plans from Crains

Quote:
The owner of the Shops at North Bridge soon could be doing some major bridge-building as part of a big expansion of the North Michigan Avenue shopping mall.

Macerich, a California mall landlord, would build a network of landscaped pedestrian bridges connecting a proposed tower at 443 N. Wabash Ave. to neighboring buildings and the Michigan Avenue shopping strip, according to exterior renderings obtained by Crain's. Macerich also would completely deck over Illinois Street for one block just west of the Magnificent Mile, the images show.

The drawings provide a glimpse into Macerich's thought process as the company draws up plans for a major expansion on the Wabash site, a project that could include retail space topped by a tower with residential space and even a hotel. Santa Monica, Calif.-based Macerich and a partner paid $42 million for the 65,000-square-foot property back in 2014 but have yet to unveil their plans for the parcel just south of the Nordstrom store.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:31 PM

^^^ That's what's up. Decent looking design plus huge expansion of pedestrian upper level streets AND possibly one or two towers with hotel and residential. It's no new supertall, but it's pretty damn good and certainly way better than a giant parking lot.

The pedestrian walkways are actually really cool and a cleaver way of extracting value. By not totally decking over all the streets they let light down to the ground level, but also essentially double their "ground level" space. This could turn out to be a really unique and cool urban space, almost like a classic indoor mall, but outdoors and totally integrated into a major urban core. Now I'm excited!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:

Oooooh....I am so excited to see this! Ugh - July 10 is a lifetime from now!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:54 PM

I love it. Its got to be lurring for future shop owners to whatever size building they end up building there as well. Even if thats in the not so near future.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:55 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

Are all of the towers bKL-designed, or TBD? Love bKL, but would like to see someone new to LSE take a crack at designing one or two of these towers....

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:56 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ That's what's up. Decent looking design plus huge expansion of pedestrian upper level streets AND possibly one or two towers with hotel and residential. It's no new supertall, but it's pretty damn good and certainly way better than a giant parking lot.

The pedestrian walkways are actually really cool and a cleaver way of extracting value. By not totally decking over all the streets they let light down to the ground level, but also essentially double their "ground level" space. This could turn out to be a really unique and cool urban space, almost like a classic indoor mall, but outdoors and totally integrated into a major urban core. Now I'm excited!

Agree.....this is interesting.....Macerich has my attention now....

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:57 PM

A sad replacement for a Goldberg

June 20

An oversized core awaits a future tower.....

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Hmmm "folded plane" ...like 130 N Franklin?

Time to break out the napkin, LVDW. Not going to be as easy without any clear geometric form, ie Frustums, but if anyone can do it, you can!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...development-by

June 24, 2017
Massive new development plans on tap for Lakeshore East

By Alby Gallun

Just read your back and forth w "John Rogers" in the comment section of the Crains article. Good Christ its people like that who shouldnt live anywhere near a city. Really makes you wonder about the education level of the general populace. What a sad angry little man

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 3:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Just read your back and forth w "John Rogers" in the comment section of the Crains article. Good Christ its people like that who shouldnt live anywhere near a city. Really makes you wonder about the education level of the general populace. What a sad angry little man
BVic and I both had a good time with Mr. Rogers.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:47 PM
Small but Mighty

Omg. I literally started crying because I was laughing so hard! I can't believe someone could be so stupid.

P.S. I can't wait to see the LSE design

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
BVic and I both had a good time with Mr. Rogers.
Haha... good stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations