HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:29 PM
Westgate Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I seem to recall such an idea being mentioned in the past and the issue was you couldn't have the huge open center area without supports that a stadium/arena demands, and still support something on top of it.
How does MSG have stacked stadiums then? or maybe I should back up but isn't MSG stacked, ie basketball on top of hockey etc?

There's no way you could build an underground hockey arena with a football stadium on top right beside the river. The water table is only a few feet down so building this would require a massive thick concrete wall to keep the water out, as you would need to excavate a couple hundred feet down (which would be a huge cost without the water table issues). Factor in the load of a football stadium over an arena that needs a clear span (because really, who wants an arena with columns) and this idea becomes really impractical. Building an arena and stadium that are side by side would be the best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferguy View Post
How does MSG have stacked stadiums then? or maybe I should back up but isn't MSG stacked, ie basketball on top of hockey etc?
No, MSG is one building, they just cover up the ice every time there is a non hockey event.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:32 PM
Westgate Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
No, MSG is one building, they just cover up the ice every time there is a non hockey event.
copy that

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:42 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferguy View Post
True, thought about that but then decided I would leave that problem for more educated people.

Regarding the bunker comment above from KW, I honestly don't think it would be any different from the current stadium.

I cannot say once inside the stadium I ever remember trying to see sunlight from outside, it just does not factor in. Furthermore, games and concerts are usually at night and mostly in winter so IMO the bunker thought line would be no different from current standards. At the saddledome at least
Specifically for arenas there has been a move over the past five years to incorporate more natural light into the concourse areas. This is often very useful in giving the concourse a much more open airy feel. Additionally, depending on the location it can incorporate key sightlines of the skyline, landmarks or geographical features.

For example, the views from the Saddledome towards downtown are amazing. Having huge windows featuring that view from the concourse would be awesome!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:08 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I wouldn't say that building arenas on top of each other is impossible. There's not much of construction that's impossible. It may just be really expensive.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I wouldn't say that building arenas on top of each other is impossible. There's not much of construction that's impossible. It may just be really expensive.
It's not impossible, it's just cost prohibitive.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 7:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It's not impossible, it's just cost prohibitive.
Unless the cost to do it is less than the cost of the land required for both facilities, i doubt it will happen. I love the idea though!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
I believe the ice surface at MSG is on the 5th level with other uses below. But you are correct that the same level/arena is used for hockey & bball.
Having said that, the idea of a football stadium built over an arena is a non-starter.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:41 PM

Absolutely it is a non-starter. I'm surprised that no one mentioned the fact that the footprints of a football stadium and a hockey arena are nothing alike. You would make either a massive arena (if the building was built to suit a typical football stadium size) or a tiny stadium (if the building was built to suit the size of the arena).

The Flames don't have the money to build an arena AND a stadium AND a convention centre, nor do they have the money to clean up the "west village" lands. The likelyhood of a new sports arena being built there is remote, let alone an entire sports/convention 'complex.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I believe the ice surface at MSG is on the 5th level with other uses below. But you are correct that the same level/arena is used for hockey & bball.
Having said that, the idea of a football stadium built over an arena is a non-starter.
That's correct, ice level is 5 floors above the street, and the 'Theater at Madison Square Garden' is below the main arena. It's a venue that holds ~5000.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:59 PM

I wonder if the city and province would be involved in the cleanup of the contamination on the site. I'm not sure what the precedents and standards are for that sort of thing, but if the new owner is going to be on the hook for contamination from decades ago, the land will probably go unused (or underused if we're counting asphalt and car dealerships as a use) forever.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I wonder if the city and province would be involved in the cleanup of the contamination on the site. I'm not sure what the precedents and standards are for that sort of thing, but if the new owner is going to be on the hook for contamination from decades ago, the land will probably go unused (or underused if we're counting asphalt and car dealerships as a use) forever.
Most of the West Village land is owned by the city currently I believe. I recall some discussion about ownership back when the West Village plan was first touted. At least some of the car dealerships are leasing land from the city, the Mercedes dealer decided to cancel construction of their already underway building and build on other land they actually owned on 10th Ave instead as they didn't like the uncertainty of building something that they'll eventually need to relocate.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 7:50 PM
JayCortese

Is the saddledome being demolished or something?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 9:07 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCortese View Post
Is the saddledome being demolished or something?
After a new arena is built, it may be. The Saddledome won't have much of a purpose at that point, at least as it is.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:50 PM

Might be cheaper to keep the Dome as a replacement for the Corral considering the demand for contiguous exhibition space. Put the upper bowl and nose bleeds in mothballs in case they are needed in 20 or 30 years it can be reconditioned.

Of course, that is under the assumption that maintenance and operations costs of a scalled down facility wouldn't be off the charts compared to the Corral.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 5:53 PM
Go Giants Go!

Is there a problem keeping the Saddledome as home to the Hitmen/Roughnecks rather than demolishing it? It was a very important part of the Olympics after all.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammerDino View Post
Is there a problem keeping the Saddledome as home to the Hitmen/Roughnecks rather than demolishing it? It was a very important part of the Olympics after all.
I figure Flames ownership would want those team playing in their new arena since they own those teams as well.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:37 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I wonder if some crazy idea like turning the saddledome into condos could work.
or the coolest shaped movie theatre ever with 2 screens at each high end.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 9:47 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I wonder if some crazy idea like turning the saddledome into condos could work.
or the coolest shaped movie theatre ever with 2 screens at each high end.
I think it would make more sense to have the screens located centrally.

I'm all for an adaptive re-use!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates