HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:02 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
World Machine

Can't imagine how cold it is up there on a day like today.

Little by little we're getting to the homestretch - the progress is great!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 10:56 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 11:20 PM

http://letsrollforums.com/imagehosti...de1ca3d882.bmp
I've noticed 1WTC looks like the top half during the night(interior lights),and I want to know when will it look like the bottom half and how do they make it look like that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
http://letsrollforums.com/imagehosti...de1ca3d882.bmp
I've noticed 1WTC looks like the top half during the night(interior lights),and I want to know when will it look like the bottom half and how do they make it look like that.
That's the installing of the interior lighting. Normally at the end they remove the construction lighting and slowly replace them. I don't know if it is going on now. I just have no idea.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I checked it up and I found that the CN Tower has an observation deck at 1,400 feet. The highest observation deck in the world is in the Guangzhou (Canton) TV & Sightseeing Tower which is at 1,600 feet. An observation deck on One World Trade Center's telecommunication rings would easily match the height of the one on the CN Tower, but again that is impossible since the equipment up there would prevent that, but there is another building in NYC that could be completed and have an observation deck in the 1,400 feet zone and that would be the Metropolitan Life North Tower. It can support 110 floors and it can easily break the 1,400 feet mark in roof height, and the mast can easily reach 1,600 to 1,700 feet, but that is for another topic not here.
Technically, the CN Tower's observation deck "sky pod" is at 1465 ft. I think the highest you could get with a deck on the communication rings would be 1401 ft. It would, however, be higher than the Sears Tower deck at 1353 ft.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:08 AM
Bionic Boogie

Queen Of The Night! Whitney Houston R.I.P.

DSC_5480 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:14 AM

From that really nice day like a week ago..

Lower Manhattan Sunset by JSsocal, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:55 AM
BANNED

I'm not sure why but the twin towers look smaller than the current height of one wtc..I mean it's going to be the same height as the north tower but this building already looks bigger than it and still has to go higher

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:56 AM

titans of new york; 2/12/2012 by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr

Please do not repost, copy, or otherwise reproduce. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
To expand on a previous topic, I wonder if the spire for 1wtc will ever be modified, to allow for some kind of outdoor viewing pod like halfway up, similar to the CN Tower"s pod? That would be such an amazing, high viewpoint, and might even be better than the old outdoor deck on that the south tower had..While the spire as currently designed may in fact be very narrow, and the roof full of antennas, these things change, to meet the public's demand for more of a thrilling viewing experience...Look at the Sears Tower for instance...granted, it's not outdoor, but they recently added the "Ledge" which visitors can step out in and feel like they are walking on air...Who's to say such modifications won't happen with wtc in future? If not the spire, it seems like maybe they could change the rings that will be on top of the tower to make them into 360-degree, outdoor viewing platforms. That would be equally amazing! Just some ideas on my part...Just based on some other famous skyscrapers modifications, I would not be at all surprised if we do not someday see 1wtc adding outdoor deck of some kind...

What if, instead of the normal windows for the second observation deck, folding glass slats could be implemented- they would be long, horizontal rectangles, perhaps 8-10 inches by 5 feet, with metal brackets on the ends, that would be connected to machinery to tilt the slats. The glass could be a bit thicker than the normal windows, for strength and security... maybe up to one inch thick. Anyway, a system of slats could be made that would open and close much like wooden blinds, where metal rods would be spaced every 5 feet (none in the middle of the glass rectangles), which would open and close the slats. Rather than folding upon each other like blinds or shingles, the slats would have slightly angled edges along the top and bottom lengths (not widths.) The tops and bottoms would line up perfectly flat together into one pane of glass.They could be opened during most of the year... and if they were angled properly, they could effectively shield precipitation (but certainly not high winds.) So the structure of the building would not change- the outer steel beams would still be in place etc... but it would bring the fresh air and outdoors "feeling" indoors..... AND... you could still look straight down to the insect-sized cars and people, unlike at the outdoor observation deck at the South WTC. So the dimensions of the windows could be almost the same as other floors as far as how wide and tall they would be. I can only think of a few difficulties here: climate control during the hottest/coldest days could be expensive, and humidity/rain/snow/ etc could still get inside with the help of stronger winds... so, to take care of this, secondary walls, built purely of thinner- width double-pane windows and large glass doors could stand 10-30 feet back away from the slats. The inner area could easily be climate controlled if necessary, and the view would remain unobstructed.

I doubt this idea would be cost-prohibitive, as very little changes structurally, yet the fresh air and outside feeling would be well worth the money invested.

While visitors could only see the ceiling when looking up, two walls of unobstructed glass would provide fantastic views, fresh air, and warm sunlight into the room. This would be far superior to the narrow windows of the original indoor deck. To enhance the effect, the gift shops and other touristy sundries could be built exclusively on the first deck, thus leaving the second floor with only windows and the core. The lack of stores and white core walls would create a beautifully simple, yet modern space that would perfectly complement the style of the tower.

This building belongs just as much to the visitors as it does to the business interests, and this could be a nice (and affordable) gesture to the visitors.

I can remember very clearly the old observation decks: Certainly the 107 floor deck was wonderful, but the outdoor deck was truly breathtaking, and I think that is what really brought in the visitors. That revenue would pay for my idea in no time at all.

Also, the break in the monotony at the top of the building with the open slats would look really neat from ground level.

Give me some feedback on this, guys! If you think this could be feasible, then lets get some kind of effort organized! I think this idea (or something similar) is probably our best chance at getting "outdoors" at the top.

Last edited by stepandfetch; Feb 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:54 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
I'm not sure why but the twin towers look smaller than the current height of one wtc..I mean it's going to be the same height as the north tower but this building already looks bigger than it and still has to go higher
It's narrower and there's only one building. The original WTC 1 & 2 were close together so from most angles they seemed to merge into one continuous structure, therefore looking wider than either did separately.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:40 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Totally off topic, but does anyone else notice that the Goldman Sachs tower seems to glow with hellfire? It's lights are as bright as WTC's construction lights, but they aren't construction lights anymore. It's a little freaky.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Totally off topic, but does anyone else notice that the Goldman Sachs tower seems to glow with hellfire?
That's the light of Mammon.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 1:37 PM
Bionic Boogie

Good Morning New York City!!

another very cold day.....28 degrees right now

DSC_5482 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 2:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
It's narrower and there's only one building. The original WTC 1 & 2 were close together so from most angles they seemed to merge into one continuous structure, therefore looking wider than either did separately.
Thanks that makes sense

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:05 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepandfetch View Post
What if, instead of the normal windows for the second observation deck, folding glass slats could be implemented- they would be long, horizontal rectangles, perhaps 8-10 inches by 5 feet, with metal brackets on the ends, that would be connected to machinery to tilt the slats. The glass could be a bit thicker than the normal windows, for strength and security... maybe up to one inch thick. Anyway, a system of slats could be made that would open and close much like wooden blinds, where metal rods would be spaced every 5 feet (none in the middle of the glass rectangles), which would open and close the slats. Rather than folding upon each other like blinds or shingles, the slats would have slightly angled edges along the top and bottom lengths (not widths.) The tops and bottoms would line up perfectly flat together into one pane of glass.They could be opened during most of the year... and if they were angled properly, they could effectively shield precipitation (but certainly not high winds.) So the structure of the building would not change- the outer steel beams would still be in place etc... but it would bring the fresh air and outdoors "feeling" indoors..... AND... you could still look straight down to the insect-sized cars and people, unlike at the outdoor observation deck at the South WTC. So the dimensions of the windows could be almost the same as other floors as far as how wide and tall they would be. I can only think of a few difficulties here: climate control during the hottest/coldest days could be expensive, and humidity/rain/snow/ etc could still get inside with the help of stronger winds... so, to take care of this, secondary walls, built purely of thinner- width double-pane windows and large glass doors could stand 10-30 feet back away from the slats. The inner area could easily be climate controlled if necessary, and the view would remain unobstructed.

I doubt this idea would be cost-prohibitive, as very little changes structurally, yet the fresh air and outside feeling would be well worth the money invested.

While visitors could only see the ceiling when looking up, two walls of unobstructed glass would provide fantastic views, fresh air, and warm sunlight into the room. This would be far superior to the narrow windows of the original indoor deck. To enhance the effect, the gift shops and other touristy sundries could be built exclusively on the first deck, thus leaving the second floor with only windows and the core. The lack of stores and white core walls would create a beautifully simple, yet modern space that would perfectly complement the style of the tower.

This building belongs just as much to the visitors as it does to the business interests, and this could be a nice (and affordable) gesture to the visitors.

I can remember very clearly the old observation decks: Certainly the 107 floor deck was wonderful, but the outdoor deck was truly breathtaking, and I think that is what really brought in the visitors. That revenue would pay for my idea in no time at all.

Also, the break in the monotony at the top of the building with the open slats would look really neat from ground level.

Give me some feedback on this, guys! If you think this could be feasible, then lets get some kind of effort organized! I think this idea (or something similar) is probably our best chance at getting "outdoors" at the top.
The short answer to this is no. The building will be pressurized.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:08 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
another very cold day.....28 degrees right now
And to add it is Very windy too. Don't expect to see any progress today unless the wind dies down.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:28 PM
Bionic Boogie

^^^
the cranes are moving....so maybe?

update: someone should call air traffic...those damn helicopters too close??

DSC_5489 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Last edited by CarlosV; Feb 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:17 PM

Nice photos everyone. I'm surprised we haven't seen a glass jump in a week or 2. Hopefully we'll see something soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive