HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
As long as it has a roof shaped like a saddle and its called the Saddledome I'm all for it. It's a symbol of your city and its wise to play to ones strengths. Too many cities lack an identity. Don't play it down, play it up.
We have quite enough identity as the stetson wearing right wing redneck city, we do not need to push that completely wrong idea of who we are any further. We are not that related to the ranching and old west things like we once were, we have evolved and progressed into new things.

We will always have the Calgary Stampede, the cowboy art, Fort Calgary, ect... to keep that aspect of the city alive, we do not need a giant saddle shaped arena.

We should be building things that market this city as a powerful, fast paced, economic powerhouse in the oil industry second in NA only to Houston.

Edmonton has the right idea, there arena in the shape of a drop of oil was a brilliant way to link their city and the team to the architecture and have some real symbolism that says "this is who Edmonton is!" today. Calgary does not need to go retro and build something that says "this is what Calgary was over half a century ago and has nothing to do with what we are really about today!"

Link Calgary's arena into a rocky mountain theme, a chinook theme, something linked to the oil industry would have been great but Edmonton beat us to the punch on that.

Build an arena that tells people what Calgary is, not what it was.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
We have quite enough identity as the stetson wearing right wing redneck city, we do not need to push that completely wrong idea of who we are any further. We are not that related to the ranching and old west things like we once were, we have evolved and progressed into new things.

We will always have the Calgary Stampede, the cowboy art, Fort Calgary, ect... to keep that aspect of the city alive, we do not need a giant saddle shaped arena.

We should be building things that market this city as a powerful, fast paced, economic powerhouse in the oil industry second in NA only to Houston.

Edmonton has the right idea, there arena in the shape of a drop of oil was a brilliant way to link their city and the team to the architecture and have some real symbolism that says "this is who Edmonton is!" today. Calgary does not need to go retro and build something that says "this is what Calgary was over half a century ago and has nothing to do with what we are really about today!"

Link Calgary's arena into a rocky mountain theme, a chinook theme, something linked to the oil industry would have been great but Edmonton beat us to the punch on that.

Build an arena that tells people what Calgary is, not what it was.
Cowboys have very little to do with Calgary or Calgary's history, forcing it as our image to the world is just plain wrong and drives me nuts. The railroad and oil built this city, but we have no real monuments to either, and that's fine. Calgary needs to market itself as a modern cosmopolitan city, and whatever our new arena looks like it should be free from lame metaphors that try to convey our image to the world. It should be a nice, modern arena that looks like a modern arena, no cues to banff or mountains, no cues to the oil industry, no fake western heritage theme. Modern contemporary architecture reflects the times and that's what this city should try to embrace.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
As long as it has a roof shaped like a saddle and its called the Saddledome I'm all for it. It's a symbol of your city and its wise to play to ones strengths. Too many cities lack an identity. Don't play it down, play it up.
As distinctive as it is, the saddle-shaped roof is one of the reasons the Saddledome needs replacing - it simply cannot support the weight of the equipment used for modern concert shows, so it is unable to play host to a lot of concert tours and thus misses out on a major source of revenue.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Cowboys have very little to do with Calgary or Calgary's history, forcing it as our image to the world is just plain wrong and drives me nuts. The railroad and oil built this city, but we have no real monuments to either, and that's fine.
This is incorrect - Calgary was the centre of the ranching industry in Alberta from the arrival of the railroad until around 1905-1910, when farming began to replace most of the open range in Alberta. Although Calgary lacked the gunfights and violence of the American west, it was very much a rough frontier town up until the early 1900s. Ranch-hands and cowboys from around Alberta would come to the city to blow off steam in Calgary's brothels, saloons and gambling halls, which were all operated with the complicity of the local police and town council.

This activity all came to an end by 1910, after the population had increased 10-fold in the preceding decade. New arrivals from the east began impose 'proper british values' on the city, and this along with the decline of ranching meant the end of Calgary's frontier days. The initial Stampede of 1912 was intended by the Big Four cattle barons as a one time homage to Calgary's past ranching heritage, but it was so popular that it eventually became a yearly event.

If you would like to learn more about Calgary's early days, read some of Max Foran's books. They provide a very interesting, in depth look at the history of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Calgary needs to market itself as a modern cosmopolitan city, and whatever our new arena looks like it should be free from lame metaphors that try to convey our image to the world. It should be a nice, modern arena that looks like a modern arena, no cues to banff or mountains, no cues to the oil industry, no fake western heritage theme. Modern contemporary architecture reflects the times and that's what this city should try to embrace.
The Stampede brand is fantastic and it attracts tourism from across the globe. Every other city in the world markets itself as being cosmopolitan, diverse, modern etc, there's absolutely nothing unique about it.

Back on topic - the Saddledome is actually a fairly modern piece of architecture, it was not designed with the aim of having a western theme, the Saddle name came in a contest later. The chances that the new arena will be better than it in terms of architectural interest are very slim. Just look at any new arena that's been built in North America - they are all shit with the exception of the Sprint Center in KC. The Flames have cited the Consol Energy Center in press about the new arena, and it looks like a big box store:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Back on topic - the Saddledome is actually a fairly modern piece of architecture, it was not designed with the aim of having a western theme, the Saddle name came in a contest later. The chances that the new arena will be better than it in terms of architectural interest are very slim. Just look at any new arena that's been built in North America - they are all shit with the exception of the Sprint Center in KC. The Flames have cited the Consol Energy Center in press about the new arena, and it looks like a big box store:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Just look at any new arena that's been built in North America - they are all shit with the exception of the Sprint Center in KC.
The Edmonton arena renderings are pure awesome and blow the Saddledome out of the water.

The Saddledome is old and stale and VERY dated. It looks like old Calgary along with it's taller older brother the Calgary Tower. The tower will stay, the dome can go though.

One big problem I have with the Saddledome is the lack of natural light and large window walls or skylights. It sucks to be in there when it is packed with people and it is all walls everywhere. Alot of the more recent arenas are building huge glass walls that give the sense of way more space when you are inside the building and that makes being in a crowded building like that alot more enjoyable and gives the sense of space when compared to concrete walls.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
The Edmonton arena renderings are pure awesome and blow the Saddledome out of the water.

The Saddledome is old and stale and VERY dated. It looks like old Calgary along with it's taller older brother the Calgary Tower. The tower will stay, the dome can go though.

One big problem I have with the Saddledome is the lack of natural light and large window walls or skylights. It sucks to be in there when it is packed with people and it is all walls everywhere. Alot of the more recent arenas are building huge glass walls that give the sense of way more space when you are inside the building and that makes being in a crowded building like that alot more enjoyable and gives the sense of space when compared to concrete walls.
I will be very surprised if the Edmonton Arena comes out looking like the renderings shown, once the costs start adding up.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:20 PM
City of Blinding Lights

This is a very interesting piece of news!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405032

It would make for a pretty awesome sports area in Seattle with Safeco and Century Link in the same spot!

Let's get Calgary a new arena already!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:43 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
This is a very interesting piece of news!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405032

It would make for a pretty awesome sports area in Seattle with Safeco and Century Link in the same spot!

Let's get Calgary a new arena already!
If I had my preference we would be building a new football stadium first.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 4:17 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
If I had my preference we would be building a new football stadium first.
A football stadium would be nice, but would cost as much as a hockey arena, and get used ~15 times a year, instead of ~150+ times a year that a hockey arena would.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 6:55 PM

What makes you say 150? There are only approximately 40 regular season home games for the Flames. Not sure how often the Hitmen play at home but doubting it is 110.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 7:00 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Concerts and other events held at the Dome is probably what he is referring to.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 7:01 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
A football stadium would be nice, but would cost as much as a hockey arena, and get used ~15 times a year, instead of ~150+ times a year that a hockey arena would.
I kmow but McMahon is 60 years old and a total embarrassment to the city.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 7:15 PM
BANNED

I agree with all the recent posts - it is just a matter of perspective.

I'm not sure which, and arena or stadium, I've prefer first (maybe a stadium, but am not 100%), but can tell you that either will need to be constructed such that it is more flexible and can manage more events. BC Place, as an example, is a pretty good exhibition space (150K sf field + 75K sf seat annex), so there is no reason why a covered stadium in Calgary can't be constructed in concert with a convention centre, and potentially act as an alternate exhibition space. [this is just an example that comes to mind - lose the subject in the object and follow the multi-purpose train of thought]. In the case of an arena, it could also be a smaller exhibition space, but likely more important would be the ability to be a large theatre, and within that context, could also work in consort with a convention centre.

BC Place food & cooking festival:
http://www.rickchung.com/2012/06/eat...-bc-place.html

BC Place auto show:
http://www.vancouversun.com/cars/Mes...585/story.html
http://www.vancouversun.com/Photos+V...191/story.html
http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/10/26/vancouver-auto-show/

BC Place home & garden show:
http://seansadventuresinflavortown.c...den-show-2012/

Now granted, we have the BMO centre also, but truth be told, we still can't get all of the items we'd like to get. A proper stadium, perhaps within spitting distance of a convention centre, could quite likely be used way more than 15 times per year. The monster truck shows would certainly be better than in the saddledome! And frankly, why worry about what is or is not possible with the roof of the saddledome if the stadium is better anyway. When will Calgary get a show with 50K people I wonder? Aren't we due?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 7:59 PM
City of Blinding Lights

As long as the Stadium is at the University I don't think that it is conducive as convention space. I do like how flexible BC place is, but it also benefits from a fantastic location.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I kmow but McMahon is 60 years old and a total embarrassment to the city.
I agree, but I think the superstructure can still be used. The overall redevelopment of that entire area has great potential, but I have a feeling it would be squandered. I already know of plans to build standard suburban style retail on the crowchild side of the stadium. I hope the city kills any effort to do that.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As long as the Stadium is at the University I don't think that it is conducive as convention space. I do like how flexible BC place is, but it also benefits from a fantastic location.
Completely agree. Just putting it out there that the planning for the convention centre could be thoughtfully integrated into a larger site plan including a sports facility or two. Let's just say that it is opportune timing, and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames have already thought this through. Wheels are churning, I just don't know which ones are gaining traction at this point.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 9:19 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Edmonton arena deal on uncertain ground after developer asks for more money

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...091/story.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 9:27 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Edmonton arena deal on uncertain ground after developer asks for more money

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...091/story.html
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Isn't McMahon & surrounding land owned by UofC?

If so, would the University want to get involved with building a new Conventrion Centre as part of a new stadium on the site?

I've often wondered if the Motel Village site could be scraped clean and a new arena built there.
(but we gotta keep Nick's Steakhouse!!)

The CTrain station is already there.
Unfortunately, the community of Banff Trail is right next door.

Last edited by jsbertram; Sep 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates