HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 9:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Isn't McMahon & surrounding land owned by UofC?

If so, would the University want to get involved with building a new Conventrion Centre as part of a new stadium on the site?

I've often wondered if the Motel Village site could be scraped clean and a new arena built there. The CTrain station is already there.
(but we gotta keep Nick's Steakhouse!!)
You're never going to get the required concentration of *high quality* hotel rooms in that area for a convention centre. The convention crowd will not be into renting units at Kaleidoscope.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I agree, but I think the superstructure can still be used. The overall redevelopment of that entire area has great potential, but I have a feeling it would be squandered. I already know of plans to build standard suburban style retail on the crowchild side of the stadium. I hope the city kills any effort to do that.
Can you share any details about this? It was announced in March of 2011 I think that the University was going to do an RFP for those lands, and use the proceeds to refurbish the stadium. Then, nothing.

I am not sure if the City would be able to prevent anything, as the University is kind of an "autonomous" entity within City Limits, not requiring a development permit on their lands. They can do a development liason if they want, but again not required.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:40 PM

I don't post here often, but I have lurked for a long time... I have it on good authority that the West Village is one of the serious contenders for the new site of the arena, with other potential developments attached.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:47 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I don't post here often, but I have lurked for a long time... I have it on good authority that the West Village is one of the serious contenders for the new site of the arena, with other potential developments attached.
What kinds of other developments? Are we talking mixed use, or a football stadium as well?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 10:51 PM

Probably a convention centre as well, would be great if we could do something like the Staples Center / LA live here, not getting my hopes up though.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
Construction Enthusiast

With the Flames now owning the Stampeders, I do wonder if they are considering building somewhere where they could build two facilities close together. West Village would work, and could met all of their want list - downtown, close to transit, close to main roads, etc.

With them building that, I could definitely see them kicking the tires on a large convention space as part of that project too. Anything to bring in more revenue.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
With the Flames now owning the Stampeders, I do wonder if they are considering building somewhere where they could build two facilities close together. West Village would work, and could met all of their want list - downtown, close to transit, close to main roads, etc.

With them building that, I could definitely see them kicking the tires on a large convention space as part of that project too. Anything to bring in more revenue.
Are there savings to be had combing the two sports' facilities?
Training facilities, concession, etc.
Could a hotel be incorporated serving the visiting teams?
Is there enough room in the WV for Hockey/Football/Convention/Hotel(s)?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Round Head

The problem with West Village is the huge costs associated with any sort of development - realigning Bow Trail, cleaning up the massive contamination (creosote), etc.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:24 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Huge costs for sure, but the location is pretty good in a geographical sense.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
Are there savings to be had combing the two sports' facilities?
Training facilities, concession, etc.
Could a hotel be incorporated serving the visiting teams?
Is there enough room in the WV for Hockey/Football/Convention/Hotel(s)?
I don't know if there would really be cost savings, but both teams are looking at a new facility, so why not kill 2 birds with one stone? An arena district would be pretty sweet, especially if it turns a dead part of the city into something vibrant.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
The problem with West Village is the huge costs associated with any sort of development - realigning Bow Trail, cleaning up the massive contamination (creosote), etc.
They can probably get the city to contribute a huge amount of money to that, probably the province as well. It will all happen whether or not they build the arena there or not.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I don't know if there would really be cost savings, but both teams are looking at a new facility, so why not kill 2 birds with one stone? An arena district would be pretty sweet, especially if it turns a dead part of the city into something vibrant.
Have you ever seen a football stadium turn a dead area "vibrant". Hockey or baseball, maybe. Football just seems to have way to big a footprint and far too infrequent use.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new arena anchor the West Village as long as it's in line with the existing mixed use plan they've put forward for the area. I think that football plus hockey (with or without convention) and all the associated parking would make the area about as vibrant as the freeways and car dealers we've already got down there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
Have you ever seen a football stadium turn a dead area "vibrant". Hockey or baseball, maybe. Football just seems to have way to big a footprint and far too infrequent use.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new arena anchor the West Village as long as it's in line with the existing mixed use plan they've put forward for the area. I think that football plus hockey (with or without convention) and all the associated parking would make the area about as vibrant as the freeways and car dealers we've already got down there.
The stadum itself isn't going to change anything, but all the other things that get built into the "arena district" would, especially if the proposal includes a convention centre.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 1:36 AM

Quote:
What kinds of other developments? Are we talking mixed use, or a football stadium as well?
I don't want to give out details at this point, but put it this way - it would be illogical to not consider all sporting options.

If the mods want to verify anything, that's fine. If not, that's cool too. I am in the industry.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The stadum itself isn't going to change anything, but all the other things that get built into the "arena district" would, especially if the proposal includes a convention centre.
I actually am curious about whether there are any good precedents for how to site a football stadium in a mixed-use, pedestrian friendly neighbourhood. It seems like a lot of building to walk around when it's not in use. That's the same problem I've got with convention centres, even when they're great architecture. Siting these things on otherwise largely unusable land (like along the tracks) seems like a better option than right beside the river.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
If it was stadium, arena and convention centre, that is easily $1.5B+ right there, plus at least an additional $500M of immediate development in the vicinity. That scale would be enough to make people think seriously about realignments and the like. Such a realignment could dovetail into an improvement for Crowchild in that vicinity also, yes?

Last edited by suburbia; Sep 19, 2012 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:38 AM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I don't want to give out details at this point, but put it this way - it would be illogical to not consider all sporting options.

If the mods want to verify anything, that's fine. If not, that's cool too. I am in the industry.
Jai alai!!
(or soccer?)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Jai alai!!
(or soccer?)
Greyhound racing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Jai alai!!
It's the next big thing!

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:48 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
If it was stadium, arena and convention centre, that is easily $1.5B+ right there, plus at least an additional $500M of immediate development in the vicinity. That scale would be enough to make people think seriously about realignments and the like. Such a realignment could dovetail into an improvement for Crowchild in that vicinity also, yes?
Arena, stadium and convention centre all assume some proportion of public funding as well - on top of remediation costs. It's not like it's $1.5 billion in purely private investment that could pay back a Tax Increment Finance scheme.

It doesn't seem a likely location for convention centre expansion unless a bunch of hotels were to be built out there as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates