HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 6:18 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Westend Community Plan

As most of you know the city is currently undertaking several community plans all at the same time right now. Norquay and Mt Pleasant were recently approved, there are plans underway in Marpole, Grandview-Woodlands, DTES and the Westend. The Westend has been underway for a little bit now and below are some boards from the last openhouse. Figured most of you would enjoy reading them and I'm sure some of them will please some members and will generate a bit of discussion. Remember though this is by no means the final plan and is a work in process and the final plan will most likely be modified.

•Introduction and background
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...background.pdf

•Emerging directions
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...directions.pdf

•Villages
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...e-villages.pdf

•Neighbourhoods
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...hbourhoods.pdf

•Corridors
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...-corridors.pdf

•Overall directions
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...directions.pdf

•Movement and gathering
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...-gathering.pdf

•Parking
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...el-parking.pdf

•Public benefits
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...c-benefits.pdf

•Final thoughts
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...l-thoughts.pdf

Not being involved myself with this plan I don't know how accurately it represents the working groups work, nor the community at larges' desires. It does appear well thought out, and hopefully a suitable compromise to most parties. Will be watching it closer now that it's getting nearer to completing.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 6:48 PM
Community Guy

Interesting height ranges and intent.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 7:34 PM

Very interesting infographics, thank you for sharing! Westend is such an unique area, that all development needs to be carefully planned. Overall the plans look good to me.

In my opinion the area doesn't need many new highrises, but more high quality midrises to replace many ugly 3-4 floor concrete buildings that exist in the area.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 9:34 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Figured the heights on the table would've generated more talk then they have so far. So far I feel they have it well thought out with landing the height along the proper stretchs where it won't affect the core of the west end, allowing the west end to remain what what makes it so special.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 10:06 PM

Have been rammed at work, haven't had time to go through the slides, but took a quick glance at the heights based off your post. WOW!

70 storeys of non residential between Bute and Burrard??

That's a 280m building assuming standard commercial floor heights! Somewhat unbelievable.

Even the other zones of up to 60 are quite large along Burrard and Thurlow.

Very surprising.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:33 AM

Wouldn't mind seeing a couple taller towers on Denman, give the skyline a bit of a saddle-shape rather than a flat slope.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:37 AM

anythign is possible here, this is vancouver....

except for one thing....u cannot win the fight against nimbys at times...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:43 AM

It's difficult to imagine many sites that could be suitable for new 50-70 floor towers along Burrard and Georgia, but I guess they could be bulldozing even pretty tall existing buildings in the future. It is at least good to see that the long-term plan doesn't freeze Downtown to its current height, but sees it adding more height and density.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:42 AM

Given viewcones, I do not see how you could get 70 story towers where the suggest they could be. However, the way it is put in there could suggest that the city recognizes that downtown is now built out, and must now begin to build up.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:56 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post

Given viewcones, I do not see how you could get 70 story towers where the suggest they could be.
There is a small portion of the Central Business District over which there are no view corridors other than the Queen Elizabeth Park view corridor. Under the city's General Policy for Higher Buildings, any site within the CBD located along a primary street (i.e., Georgia, Burrard or Granville) over which there are no view corridors other than the Queen Elizabeth Park view corridor may be permitted to have a building of "generally" 700 feet:

http://vancouver.ca/docs/planning/general_policy.pdf

http://vancouver.ca/docs/planning/fi...cil-report.pdf

It has been speculated that the most likely site for such a building is the Burrard Building site (i.e., the southwest corner of Georgia and Burrard), over part of which there are no view corridors other than the Queen Elizabeth Park view corridor.

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
It has been speculated that the most likely site for such a building is the Burrard Building site (i.e., the southwest corner of Georgia and Burrard), over part of which there are no view corridors other than the Queen Elizabeth Park view corridor.
I knew the northwestern portion of the block (directly across Thurlow Street from Shangri-la) didn't have limitations. I didn't realise the whole block was effectively limitless.

What about the block across Alberni on the northwest side of Burrard?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 4:52 AM

The West End planning team has recently been out at a series of community events with new materials including: http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/west-e...rd-streets.pdf

Last edited by DTLivin; Jun 26, 2013 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:12 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Thanks for the link to the update, the render on page 5 shows great potential while retaining what makes the WE so special.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 5:32 AM

I hope the city in some way addresses the lane ways. With all the dumpsters and garbage it looks a bit third world. Hopefully as new buildings go up they can be built with a bit more interaction with the lanes

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 10:49 PM

That page 5 rendering is so cool. Can't wait for it to become reality in the next 10 years!

And who said we are out of places to build in Dowtown?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 5:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think 10yrs is overly optimistic, we'd be lucky to see most of that built in 25yrs. Slow and steady is better then boom and bust.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 PM
ON3P Skis

That render on page 5 looks great. I generally agree with most of what is on there however I think the north side of Davie between Thurlow and Burrard can handle more density. Provided the heritage homes on Thurlow are retained (or moved), I don't see why that side of street couldn't be built up to the height of the view cones (approximately 200'-220') provided there are appropriate setbacks from the sidewalk. You'd only be blocking views to/from the hospital, and personally I don't think that should matter. As far as 15-20 storey buildings go, I think one a Thurlow & Davie is better served by transit and amenities than something near Davie & Denman.

Also, I've noticed people (forum members, journalists, and even a north van district councillor) make references to the "3rd world" a couple times in the past few weeks referencing certain areas in this city. I think that type of hyperbole has to stop. Can anywhere in the West End really be compared to the 3rd world? Can the DTES? I think once you have reliable electricity, running water and a post 19th-century sewer system you can kiss the 3rd world comparions goodbye.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Also, I've noticed people (forum members, journalists, and even a north van district councillor) make references to the "3rd world" a couple times in the past few weeks referencing certain areas in this city. I think that type of hyperbole has to stop. Can anywhere in the West End really be compared to the 3rd world? Can the DTES? I think once you have reliable electricity, running water and a post 19th-century sewer system you can kiss the 3rd world comparions goodbye.
Lol well yes thats true but I like hyperbole. my saying it is reference to garbage strewn all over the lane ways. I live at davie and denman and there's so many times that people or seagulls/crows have torn open garbage from the dumpsters that all the restaurants use. So when I'm literally walking through trash yes it feels third world to me. (It certainly doesn't feel "first world")

This came up with strata. Is there a city bylaw that the owners/users of dumpsters have to keep them locked ?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:38 PM

So they want to remove rush hour parking restrictions on the west side of Denman (morning rush) and install those pointless "parklets" in the ensuing curb bump. This would have the effect of directing more through traffic to Georgia, which they are neutering by removing the viaducts. In Vision's Fantasyland does anyone do any long term holistic planning, rather than this kind of myopic "in isolation" stuff?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:14 PM

^i agree that would be a friggin mess!! Imagine one lane plus people turning left and even right turns can take a long time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues