HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 12:27 AM

Like it or hate it, this one is good to go. A tower crane permit was filed yesterday.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=255654

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 7:43 PM

I like it. Sue me!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I like it. Sue me!
I do too, just not in its current design. Now if they would completely re-design it, I would be totally on board.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 6:35 AM

This ones a go - site is barricaded.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 2:50 PM

Glad to see this one get built. The public Sky Lobby should be awesome, and I think the building's design will look better in person.

Just a bit too much parking, though...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
This ones a go - site is barricaded.
I'm a little surprised they didn't hold off till after SXSW. That lot was pretty active last year, if I remember correctly.

Coulda made some sweet corporate activation $$$!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm a little surprised they didn't hold off till after SXSW. That lot was pretty active last year, if I remember correctly.

Coulda made some sweet corporate activation $$$!
That's what I was expecting too. But they got a right of way permit approved on Friday that allows for the start of construction.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's what I was expecting too. But they got a right of way permit approved on Friday that allows for the start of construction.

Glad I'm out of town over SXSW -- DT is going to be such a clusterf***.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:40 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Glad I'm out of town over SXSW -- DT is going to be such a clusterf***.
Only for those silly enough to bring a ~3,000 pound machine with them... It's my favorite time of year! Pedestrians and cyclists rule!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Only for those silly enough to bring a ~3,000 pound machine with them... It's my favorite time of year! Pedestrians and cyclists rule!
But many of us have no other option than to bring a 3,000 pound machine with us to work because there are no mass transit options way out in the burbs where nice sized homes exist for reasonable prices.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:54 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
But many of us have no other option than to bring a 3,000 pound machine with us to work because there are no mass transit options way out in the burbs where nice sized homes exist for reasonable prices.
"nice sized homes" certainly means different things to different folks. I don't own a car, can't stomach the waste associated with them, and live in a 1,000 square foot place of which I use ~700 of regularly. As a result, I can't help but to feel my place is huge! Lack of transit is an issue I think we all recognize, let's all be ready to go big on a 2020 vote for transit.

Back to the topic of this thread, with the exception of this one tower I'm enjoying everything going up. I hope this one is better in real life but the huge and conspicuous parking podium may look really odd.. We'll see. Anyone know whether there is a tenant or if they're going spec?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 1:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I love SXSW, when Austin shines brightly to the world. There is no better place to be than walking the streets of DT Austin during SXSW.

This building is my very least favorite. Doesn't matter what they think they can do. A huge ugly 14 level parking podium that does not even match the office portion is going to stick out and it will stick out worse than Facebook's office building which at least has a similar color to the office half. Even with a public lobby level doesn't make up for that fact.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
"nice sized homes" certainly means different things to different folks. I don't own a car, can't stomach the waste associated with them, and live in a 1,000 square foot place of which I use ~700 of regularly. As a result, I can't help but to feel my place is huge! Lack of transit is an issue I think we all recognize, let's all be ready to go big on a 2020 vote for transit.
Juuuuust cause I have to chime in here . . . I'm definitely a transit advocate, and would bike to work if I could. TBH, most of my adult life as a parent has been one involuntary socio-economic nudge into the suburbs after another. If you're a family that makes median-ish income, your only practical option is to move away to cheaper land and better schools.

As it stands, I live about 12 miles from my place of employment, and while I'm definitely not married to my car, I need our transit to meet some minimum requirements that it currently doesn't. Until then . . . it's just gonna have to be me and my 3k lb death machine, mowing down peds/bikers/scooterers indiscriminately.

EDIT: and fwiw, I love DT during SXSW, too . . . but since they chose to NOT match it up with UT/AISD/RRISD/etc spring break, I stand by my prediction that's going to be clusterf***, at least for the 9-5 working folks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:53 AM

Current site status: Parking lot being bulldozed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATxponent View Post
To make room for a huge parking garage beneath a disproportionately small office tower above it. Yay And so...it begins...we can officially add this to the three other unavoidable miseries, death and taxes, and advertisements for prescription drugs.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATxponent View Post
Thanks for the info! Welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
To make room for a huge parking garage beneath a disproportionately small office tower above it. Yay And so...it begins...we can officially add this to the three other unavoidable miseries, death and taxes, and advertisements for prescription drugs.
Just watch. Somehow this will turn out to be the best project of the year. Elegant yet utilitarian, a study in contrasts between the divine and the profane. Glass vs. brick, pedestrian vs. car, awesome vs. not so much.

I’m just saying. We’re almost certainly underestimating this one.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:18 AM

I really think this one will turn out great. The public Sky Lobby is a unique feature, the parking has a bold design, and the office segment has inset designs unlike most "glass boxes" in the city.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:42 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

EDIT: and fwiw, I love DT during SXSW, too . . . but since they chose to NOT match it up with UT/AISD/RRISD/etc spring break, I stand by my prediction that's going to be clusterf***, at least for the 9-5 working folks.
I do have to respond to this. UT/AISD and the few other school districts didn't have to move their spring break later especially since most other school districts in Texas had their spring breaks the same time they always have which is the week SXSW occurs. My great niece and nephew from the Houston area were here for spring break so I was able to take them DT a couple of days to see SXSW stuff like the Game Expo.

I actually put blame on the school districts not SXSW. They have their schedules planned a couple of years in advance. They can't just simply shift a week late when they have hundreds of thousands of attendees from around the world that have to make arrangements. Not to mention all the companies, promoters and creative artists from visual media to comedy to tech and so on. If UT and a few local school district administrators thought they could then they are even more arrogant and self centered than I already think they are. It was a crappy move of them and i put the blame squarely on the school districts and UT. Didn't even make sense either. Shame that teaches who enjoy attending SXSW events couldn't do it. If I was a teacher and had already bought a badge long before the school districts decided they wanted to shift weeks, I would have been majorly pissed. There were a few college students that I overheard last Thursday who apparently skipped their classes to go to music events. Shoot I would too if i was still in college lol.

Now that it's over, we can fo back to this monstrosity of a parking tower.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Mar 20, 2019 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 3:37 PM

I still cannot believe that a team of people somewhere, sat around a conference room, and said "Yeah! This design looks great!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin