HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
I think AUM takes up all of the area you are referring to NORTH of I-85, but if you meant south.... that's Old Halcyon, with estate homes on the Bell Rd side, and more of a new subdivision feel as you drive closer to Taylor Rd.
I do mean north ... and just a little west to southwest of where AUM is now located.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Buckmasters expo returns to Montgomery in 2008

The Buckmasters Expo will return to Montgomery in 2008, city officials revealed today.

For the past three years, the expo has been held in North Carolina. But city, county and state officials were able to use the 2008 opening of a new civic center to lure the event back to Montgomery.

The 2004 expo drew visitors to Montgomery from 44 states and pumped an estimated $13 million into the local economy, Buckmasters spokesman Ken Piper wrote in a news release.

The expo will be held Aug. 15 -18, 2008.

--- Andre Coe
great news for downtown MGM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
I do mean north ... and just a little west to southwest of where AUM is now located.
No, it was a gross mistake on the part of google maps that placed River Run golf course near the site of AUM. Looks like they've recently corrected the problem now.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Buckmasters expo returns to Montgomery in 2008

The Buckmasters Expo will return to Montgomery in 2008, city officials revealed today.

For the past three years, the expo has been held in North Carolina. But city, county and state officials were able to use the 2008 opening of a new civic center to lure the event back to Montgomery.

The 2004 expo drew visitors to Montgomery from 44 states and pumped an estimated $13 million into the local economy, Buckmasters spokesman Ken Piper wrote in a news release.

The expo will be held Aug. 15 -18, 2008.

--- Andre Coe
Yes this is great news. My co-worker and I were discussing the loss of the Buckmasters convention this morning. And then this announcement comes.

...what a coincidence.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 9:31 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Couldn't help myself!

This was posted by user BufeDog on the Montgomery Advertiser forum in reply to a Publix opening up at the new retail developments in Prattville:

bufedog

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:13 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally... I wish the growth would slow down.

With growth comes problems. Sure Prattville is going to get as big as Montgomery... but is that a good thing?

With the size comes problems. I don't want Prattville to be the next Montgomery.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 6:11 AM

BrownDuckz, please remember that the Advertiser's forum is like an extention of al.com. Not exactly a haven for the brightest stars in the bunch...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 2:37 PM

Episodes 9 and 10 of City Hall are now available online, hope you guys enjoy a good laugh: http://www.eplanetmars.net/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 3:34 PM
Witty comment fail

Good article on Byron and his projects.

of course, if anybody had been at the mini-meet a few weeks ago, you would've had a personal tour.

Quote:
August 18, 2007

Developer works to restore buildings in South Perry Street Historic District

By Andre Coe

Developer Byron Berry likes to work in gunk.

For him, restoring old buildings is like opening a Christmas gift: you never know what you might find.

Berry, 27, came to the rescue of three buildings located in the South Perry Street Historic District, and on Wednesday, he immediately began getting dirty.

Years of neglect, out-of-place makeovers and absentee ownership made buildings in the district the ugly ducklings of the downtown landscape. Berry was the lone contractor to bid for development in the district and hopes to turn the buildings into showplaces.

"Look at that," Berry said after tearing out modern, acoustic tiling and finding a beautiful, pressed-tin ceiling underneath. He pointed to the rustic pattern in the long-hidden ceiling and smiled.

In years past, people who renovated old buildings put in the acoustic tiling that is familiar to many who work in modern offices. They covered wall designs that looked old-fashioned and slapped on synthetic wood paneling, Berry said with a shudder.

Some even covered brick walls with slabs of Sheetrock, only to cover the Sheetrock with even more layers of paneling.

But nowadays, people are trying to get that rustic look back, Berry said.

Preservationists were concerned the buildings might be destroyed when they learned the city was planning a multi-deck parking facility in the area between Dexter and Washington avenues on South Perry Street.

They placed the district on an endangered structures list called "Places in Peril." The list was created by the Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation and the Alabama Historical Commission and includes 11 historic structures around the state.

It worked.

The front of the buildings will be saved to preserve the area's architectural history, said Ken Groves, director of the city planning and development department.

Berry, president and chief executive officer of Phoenix Housing LLC, proved himself to Mayor Bobby Bright when he developed other buildings in downtown Montgomery.

Most recently, he transformed buildings in the 100 block of South Court Street into commercial and residential space.

Berry said he plans to turn this project into residential and commercial space, as well. A local family already has expressed interest in purchasing one of the buildings to use as a two-story home, he said.

But some buildings in the district will be demolished, Bright said.

The Thorington-Sims-Randolph-Lanier Hill building located on the corner of South Perry Street and Washington Avenue will come down. The new parking deck will be built on the back of buildings in the district and will occupy the entire location of the Hill building, Bright said.

Berry said his timeline to restore the buildings is 18 to 24 months.

"Thank goodness we didn't have to tear those three buildings down," Bright said. "He (Berry) is the answer to many people's concerns."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 7:48 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Checkout this new announcement for Downtown Lousiville.

Montgomery needs something like this, but is there enough room for something like this to happen near the convention center/riverfront?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupremo View Post

$250 million project planned downtown
By Alex Davis and
Sheldon S. Shafer
The Courier-Journal

Fourth Street Live developer Cordish Co. plans to invest $250 million in new housing, restaurants, a cinema and a boutique hotel on 23 acres of downtown property along Muhammad Ali Boulevard.

Tentatively called the Center City District, the project would cost 3½ times as much as the nearby 4th Street Live entertainment complex and stretch over parts of six city blocks.

Metro Mayor Jerry Abramson said in an interview yesterday that Center City would create an “epicenter of energy” that hasn’t been seen in downtown Louisville since the 1950s.

“It’s a neighborhood rather than a project,” Abramson said, noting that the Metro Council and state officials still must approve a funding plan. “It’s a continuation of the last 20 years of planning, developing, and now implementing a center city that we can all be proud of.”

The area proposed for Center City currently includes parking lots, office buildings, city property and a few small shops.

The core of the district, often called the Louisville Water Co. block, was once a top candidate for a downtown arena and is bounded by Second, Third and Liberty streets and Ali Boulevard. An estimated 500,000 square feet of buildings would be created there — including at least one structure with more than 15 stories.

Construction is expected to start next year and be substantially compete by 2010.

Cordish would provide the entire $250 million investment in Center City upfront. About half of that money, or $130 million, would be returned to the company over the next 30 years in the form of local and state tax rebates from the 23-acre area.

No retailers have been selected for the project, but Blake Cordish, a vice president with Baltimore-based Cordish Co., said initial reaction from prospective tenants has been positive.

Also included in the plans is a major renovation of The Gardens. The city-owned property would be leased to Cordish and turned into a 6,000-seat venue for concerts and possibly a minor-league hockey team.

Blake Cordish declined to identify the league in which the team would play, but he said the Louisville squad would be an expansion team, not a franchise moved from another city.

Cordish Co. owns 4th Street Live, which opened in 2004 on the site of the Galleria mall and now draws about 4 million people annually. The company also has created urban mixed-use projects in Baltimore and other U.S. cities, and is working on similar efforts in Kansas City, St. Louis and Toronto.

The city already owns about 40 percent of the 6.2-acre Louisville Water Co. block. Cordish has an option to buy the rest.

Private landowners elsewhere in the Center City District would benefit from the public upgrades, Abramson said, and possibly invest additional money in their property. One of them, Florida developer Eric Bachelor, already plans to buy the Hilliard Lyons Center that once housed the Stewart’s department store and turn it into an Embassy Suites Hotel.

Funding from the tax rebates over the next three decades would be funneled exclusively to public improvements such as sidewalks, lighting and improved alleys. About 1,000 new parking spaces also are planned.

The Metro Council will hear a formal presentation about Center City Monday. A measure to approve the taxing district is expected to be introduced Thursday. Cordish and Abramson both said Center City is merely a working name for the project and a permanent name would be selected later.

Democrat David Tandy, the 4th District councilman who represents downtown, and council President Rick Blackwell, D-12th, said they expect the council will approve the tax rebates to Cordish. The taxing district would still need approval by a state commission. Abramson said he hopes to have the proposal to the commission by next month.

The development would be the latest in a burst of downtown activity in recent years. In addition to 4th Street Live and the arena, planned at Second and Main streets, a 62-story skyscraper called Museum Plaza is to open in 2010 and a $50 million development called Iron Quarter is in the works along Main just east of the arena.

Jim Host, chairman of the Louisville Arena Authority, said the arena wouldn’t be a good match for a minor-league hockey team that could perhaps average 4,000 fans per game. He said the arena, with 22,000 seats, would charge much higher rent than The Gardens, and there would be scheduling conflicts with the University of Louisville’s basketball teams, which have priority for games and practices.

Although a final design for Center City has not been adopted, it will most likely feature a mix of buildings, parking and some open space. Retail would most likely be on the lower floors of most buildings, with offices and housing above. Cordish declined to say how much housing would be included, but he said there would be “multiple hundreds” of units.

The vacancy rate for Class A office space in the downtown area was 9.8 percent for the second quarter of this year, down from 13.4 percent a year ago, according to figures from CB Richard Ellis Louisville.

Managers of some 4th Street Live venues have reported steady traffic in the last year or so, but many have been clamoring for more retail options to compete with suburban malls.

Andre Bradford, general manager at Maker’s Mark Bourbon House & Lounge, predicted that the additional shopping and housing planned at Center City would boost traffic at 4th Street Live.

“Anything and everything that can be put downtown is going to help,” Bradford said.
Hogan Real Estate will be a local partner in the Center City project, and Cordish said the design team will include architects from Louisville.

Cordish Co. previously announced plans to put new restaurants and other tenants in the first floor of the Starks Building, at Fourth and Ali, which also is part of the 23-acre Center City area.

There are several older buildings in the water company block that may have some historic or architectural significance. Abramson said it is not yet clear if they would be torn down or incorporated into Center City.

Reporter Alex Davis can be reached at (502) 582-4644.
Reporter Sheldon Shafer can be reached at (502) 582-7089.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 3:41 AM

Maybe around the 1 Court Square area?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots71 View Post
Maybe around the 1 Court Square area?
Certainly a possibility, but keep in mind that L'ville is 3x the size of MGM proper and has an active downtown. People are still not clamoring to get to downtown MGM, while L'ville seems to be replacing/enhancing existing venues.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 3:42 AM

hey guys, sorry i didn't let you all in on the secret before it went to the paper. i had a crazy week trying to tie up the loose ends and even got the jobsite shutdown before i started so i am sorry for not telling you first. the big news is that we are going to save the buildings on S Perry. i've already started tearing out non-historic junk getting back to the old stuff. more to come as i make progress.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 5:04 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Byron are you beginning these projects with possible retail tenants already?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiijakd View Post
hey guys, sorry i didn't let you all in on the secret before it went to the paper. i had a crazy week trying to tie up the loose ends and even got the jobsite shutdown before i started so i am sorry for not telling you first. the big news is that we are going to save the buildings on S Perry. i've already started tearing out non-historic junk getting back to the old stuff. more to come as i make progress.

Great to hear, hiijakd! We'll be checking in on you from time to time to view the progress.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 3:08 AM
Gump Watcher

Montgomery Loft Living: Developments Nearing Completion

GO BYRON!

Aug 22, 2007 08:07 PM

Loft living is one of the newest trend in real estate. It consists of retail space on the first floor with residential space above. For Montgomery, it's a relatively new concept. But already, two loft developments are nearing completion.

"I've always loved construction and old property," says Byron Berry, who recently started his own construction and renovation company, Phoenix Homes, LLC. He's in the process of converting two downtown buildings into loft apartments.

The buildings are located across from the old federal courthouse on Court Street. A smoothie store has already opened on the first floor.

"I said to myself, I can complain about Montgomery and how there's nothing to do here, or I can do something about it," Berry said of his reasons for starting the project.

Berry and his crew totally gutted the buildings, adding upscale amenities like quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, and skylights.

There are three apartments available, ranging from 1000 to 1700 square feet. They will be offered for lease. Prices will range between $1200/month to $2000/month.

The question now -- will people move downtown?

"It's going to take the urban pioneers who are willing to drive a little farther to the grocery store, but can exchange that for walking to work," Berry said.

The A&P Lofts

If more of a neighborhood feel is what you want, the Atlantic and Pacific development is also nearing completion. It's located in Montgomery's Old Cloverdale neighborhood.

The buildings are new construction, but built to blend with the surrounding architecture. The development is named for the old A&P grocery store that used to sit on the site.

"Everybody wants to be in Cloverdale because of the neighborhood," developer Anna Lowder said. "It's exciting and diverse."

Lowder and her husband, Harvi Sahota, spared no expense on the project. They expect the A&P Lofts to be even more successful than their first project, the 246 Lofts downtown.

"I think we were kind of ahead of our time then," Sahota said. "Now the concept is really catching on."

There are 18 retail spaces and 14 residential lofts available, some of which are two stories. They range from 1000 square feet to 2700 square feet and are being offered for sale. Prices range from $210,000 to $625,000.

More Information

Developers of both the Court Street project and the A&P Lofts plan to hold open houses in mid-September for prospective buyers/leaders. They say young professionals and empty nesters are their target customers.

For more information about the Court Street Lofts, contact Bryon Berry of Phoenix Homes, LLC at (334) 224-1256. You can also log on to www.phoenixhomes.ws

For information about the A&P Lofts, log on to www.atlanticandpacificlofts.com.

Reporter: Mark Bullock

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 3:14 AM
Gump Watcher

Coliseum Renovation Meeting

Hope there will be pics later...

Big plans are in the works to put Montgomery's Garrett Coliseum on the map.

City leaders from the tri-county area along with Legislators and artists joined together to express their hopes for this renovation process Wednesday.

Overall, organizers hope to make Garrett Coliseum a place to attract acts and events from across the South that would compete with Mississippi and Georgia.

This project would increase the economy across Alabama and hopefully bring in new industry to Montgomery that wouldn't be possible now.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 4:01 AM

i thought it was a pretty good news spot. mark bullock called me about 20 minutes before to tell me he wanted to come by. in my opinion, the more coverage the better. we're almost done with our lofts. two more baths to tile then cleaning up and putting in trim. wooohoooo. then over to perry street for more.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 12:19 PM

sorry duckz. no i don't have any retail tenants yet but i do have some residential possibilities.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 3:04 PM
Gump Watcher

Hey Byron... How much are the leases?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 3:28 PM
Midtown Montgomery

I really hope they don't spend a ton of money trying to renovate the coliseum....... an arena Downtown is the answer to every problem that will arise with the current property. Any word on whether Spark's actually tried to push the Arena?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast