HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
In the end they will just cause the death of these birds when a cull is finally needed.
not likely, since a cull here would mean protests outside of TransLink, City, and Provincial offices. and, if we haven't had one already with the state of the new platform as posted before, i don't see one happening in the near future.

we don't even clean up sidewalks because the homeless are there and it is better to have a disgusting city then a clean one.

too many crazies with nothing better to do then protest everything.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Do it in a park / green area. Not at the station or at a bus stop that creates a health hazard.
I agree, but I will point out that it's a lot easier for someone with limited mobility to get to a bus stop or Skytrain station than to most parks.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I agree, but I will point out that it's a lot easier for someone with limited mobility to get to a bus stop or Skytrain station than to most parks.
I understand that, but it still doesn’t give them the license to do so.

If we really want to make transit an attractive alternative for those who currently drive it is best to keep our stations and stops free of being coated in birdshit (not to mention the enjoyment of those already using the system).

These soft approaches is where Vancouver style greenwashing / humanitarianism can actually back fire and do more harm than good for the ultimate “green” and “social” end goals.

Again, all for giving warnings first and maybe helping out someone with mobility issues to get to parks / green spaces easier, but it has to be a middle ground and they must stop this activity at the stations. That mountain of bird feed is excessive and should be cleaned up simply for being a dirty obstacle. If someone simply refuses any alternatives outright and keepsnon doing this, then more harsh action is needed.

Most importantly this is more than just an aesthetic issue, it is a health and safety concern. Coincidentally I just read the other day how two people died from a disease they contracted from pigeon droppings in the States.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Most importantly this is more than just an aesthetic issue, it is a health and safety concern. Coincidentally I just read the other day how two people died from a disease they contracted from pigeon droppings in the States.
Totally agree the situation is a potential health hazard. Birds and their droppings can carry over 60 diseases.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:53 AM
Dahvie Fan

Translink should have a referendum. Get funding for a new task force to combat the birds.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:59 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Getting off topic guys...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:32 PM

I'm curious how the new platform deals with the power rail directly below the platform edge. Surely there must be some signs noting that it is there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:23 AM
Vancouver Moderator

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/comm...s-january-2019
Sneak peek of Commercial-Broadway Station's new platform (PHOTOS)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4903396/c...ation-upgrade/
'The largest SkyTrain station upgrade in history is complete and opens on Feb. 2.'

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:02 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Why are there so many ceiling hung speakers? It's like they have one every 20 feet.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Why are there so many ceiling hung speakers? It's like they have one every 20 feet.
Better acoustics for the emergency announcements? Personally, I can never hear more than a semi-audible mumble.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:57 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:16 AM

You know the new platform will be a literal bird shitfest when they have to install bird spikes everywhere inside the concourse.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:20 AM

So for fun I was looking at the station on google maps and it really made me wonder why basically nothing in the area has been redeveloped. What happened with the big Safeway proposal? That whole area is just one under used site after another. Even the newish office building seems painfully under built

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudcanuck View Post
I'm curious how the new platform deals with the power rail directly below the platform edge. Surely there must be some signs noting that it is there.
They have two plastic cover guards over each of the two power rails. If you wanted to touch it, you could, but it would be much harder to make accidental contact.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
So for fun I was looking at the station on google maps and it really made me wonder why basically nothing in the area has been redeveloped. What happened with the big Safeway proposal? That whole area is just one under used site after another. Even the newish office building seems painfully under built
Because of NIMBYism. That part of East Van sees no need for added density despite being the gateway for both downtown and the Broadway corridor. Time to have a civic plan that ignores all their protesting.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Broadway to Clarke should be redeveloped, replace all those 3 storeys along broadway. And replace east to Nanaimo along Broadway.

But people are selfish and want to think they live in a small town ignoring the fact that the city needs to house 1 million people over the next two decades.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's pathetic.

All that money invested in to infrastructure, but nothing can happen directly around it because people like the "character" of the neighbourhood. Besides Commercial Dr. north of Broadway, that whole area lacks any sort of charm (particularly Broadway). It should have been redeveloped when the Millennium line went in.

We really need council members with some balls.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:18 AM

Looking forward to the opening of the new platform at Broadway - Commercial. When I was there today I noticed that there was another fresh and bountiful supply of bird feed put out again.

Jan.29 '19, my pics

fullsizeoutput_6b3a
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b38
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b39
by mcminsen, on Flickr

DSC06575
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b73
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b74
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b62
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b71
by mcminsen, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_6b33
by mcminsen, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:24 PM

Looks great! Thanks, mcminsen.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:08 PM

maybe someone could add rat poison to the piles of bird feed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure