HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
What are the odds that will be right up against the side of another building some day? In that case it won't matter a whole lot.
This is ultimately the reason - they are anticipating future development. No sense in putting money and time into designing a facade that will almost certainly be blocked one day.

A good case for a temporary solution such as a mural

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel View Post
This is ultimately the reason - they are anticipating future development. No sense in putting money and time into designing a facade that will almost certainly be blocked one day.

A good case for a temporary solution such as a mural
A new Angel's Trumpet Mural 👌👀 Wishful thinking. I KNOW.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 6:27 PM
Modulator

With the issues Matt and the Derby developer had with each other, this is highly unlikely to happen.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:16 PM

I would love to see Angel's Trumpet relocate to have a groundfloor presence in an upcoming high rise development/redevelopment like the Chase Tower or Central Station.

Whenever I go, I'm not seeing a crowd seemingly drawn from ASU. I see an older crowd who loves their quality food and diverse beer selection. Even the music selection seemingly caters to an older crowd.

So a location closer to hotels and older generation residential would be a good fit.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
I would love to see Angel's Trumpet relocate to have a groundfloor presence in an upcoming high rise development/redevelopment like the Chase Tower or Central Station.

Whenever I go, I'm not seeing a crowd seemingly drawn from ASU. I see an older crowd who loves their quality food and diverse beer selection. Even the music selection seemingly caters to an older crowd.

So a location closer to hotels and older generation residential would be a good fit.
They are never going to move until Matt dies and the property is wrestled form his cold hands.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:01 PM

View of Derby

I don't think Derby looks too bad in this view from the Palmtower construction cam:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 11:09 PM
Modulator

I am cool with the design, but the beige doesn't really work. It's an overused color scheme for desert cities. Aside, from that...coming down 2nd or McKinley streets, Derby looks much taller than it really is thanks to it's small footprint.

Either way, it's a win in my book and is a testament that the local next door NYMBY's can no longer stop taller developments from happening in the area.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 11:56 PM

South side looks a lot better than the north side.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
South side looks a lot better than the north side.
If I had a nickel for every time someone said this to me...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 11:41 PM

I think the copper was a nice touch - or at least whatever material they used that looks like copper. Adds some interest as viewing angles change, and ties it into some regional geology and history.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 11:41 PM

Retail Downtown

Walking around downtown the other day I noticed for all the apartment buildings coming on line there sure isn't very much new retail and restaurants. Where is everybody spending their money and or eating? Also the Arizona Center is deader than ever, hopefully when Palm Court and a few more apartment projects fill up there will be a dramatic increase.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 11:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Walking around downtown the other day I noticed for all the apartment buildings coming on line there sure isn't very much new retail and restaurants. Where is everybody spending their money and or eating? Also the Arizona Center is deader than ever, hopefully when Palm Court and a few more apartment projects fill up there will be a dramatic increase.
Roosevelt Row is what's cookin'. With Palma, Champagne Lanes and Ghost Donkey all now open, the whole area feels very well connected.

Also, Huss Brewery at the convention center is close to opening.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Theres a ton of new options between Washington and Polk and then up between Portland and Pierce

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 3:18 AM

Yeah Roosevelt Row is pretty awesome. Lots of great bars, restaurants, and small retail stores.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 9:09 PM

Quote:
A lot of restaurants are still sorta dead at lunch. The business crowd and public employees still don't seem to be around as much in this wfh era although it is picking up. I'm not sure where all the new tenants eat at lunch but it's not the local restaurants. It's tough to make it work with 1 dinner service. That said there are a ton of newish restaurants. Here's a few (yes some are not brand new)
Anhelo
Pa La
Carcara in Sheraton
Sottise
Wren & Wolf
Jackalope
Ziggy's Pizza
Ainsworth
Blanco & Ingos at B23
Farish House
And that doesn't include all the stuff on Roosevelt and north of it

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I am cool with the design, but the beige doesn't really work. It's an overused color scheme for desert cities. Aside, from that...coming down 2nd or McKinley streets, Derby looks much taller than it really is thanks to it's small footprint.

Either way, it's a win in my book and is a testament that the local next door NYMBY's can no longer stop taller developments from happening in the area.
I agree the Beige is pretty ugly.

I think it's a testament to being able to build without a major tax incentive. Didn't they lose their lawsuit... and they built it anyway?

Seems uncharitable to say the bar owner is a NIMBY, in the articles I read
I don't remember him he didn't want growth, he only talked about being mad about the tax deal but maybe you know more?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I agree the Beige is pretty ugly.

I think it's a testament to being able to build without a major tax incentive. Didn't they lose their lawsuit... and they built it anyway?

Seems uncharitable to say the bar owner is a NIMBY, in the articles I read
I don't remember him he didn't want growth, he only talked about being mad about the tax deal but maybe you know more?
No the owner of angels trumpet is a NIMBY of the worst sort.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:47 AM
Skyriser

Derby as proposed would have redevelopment of Angel's Trumpet impossible. All the owner wanted was a five-foot setback on the upper floors--wasn't a NIMBY at all.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
No the owner of angels trumpet is a NIMBY of the worst sort.
Unless you have some kind of proof it seems mighty unfair to a guy that opened a cool beer bar back during the bleak recession days when there was nothing doing in that area.

I’ll note I’m glad Derby got built. Super cool density and proof we can do towers without skeezy deals. Pretty soon we’re all gonna remember the good ol days when it was easy to park in that area. No more.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Unless you have some kind of proof it seems mighty unfair to a guy that opened a cool beer bar back during the bleak recession days when there was nothing doing in that area.

I’ll note I’m glad Derby got built. Super cool density and proof we can do towers without skeezy deals. Pretty soon we’re all gonna remember the good ol days when it was easy to park in that area. No more.
Its already annoying. Matts antics almost killed a tax incentive that has brought hundreds of millions of development downtown. He actively does not involve himself in the community and basically acts like a hipster because Roosevelt still isnt a crack den.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest