Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 1:55 AM

Peaking out from behind City Hall

A walk through Philadelphia by Stanley Sadowski, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 2:09 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
From that vantage point, the core is just about to overtake that statue of William Penn.

It's as if the statue is saying, "I dare you to build taller than me".
If that statue were to come to life, it would be smiling!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 2:54 PM

Looking at diagrams and at how high this is to blue cross, this looks to be 580-590 feet right now. One more jump and it will be at 600 feet! However when do you guys expect the core to change shape? I believe it happens when it surpasses BC bldg. But I don't know for sure.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Looking at diagrams and at how high this is to blue cross, this looks to be 580-590 feet right now. One more jump and it will be at 600 feet! However when do you guys expect the core to change shape? I believe it happens when it surpasses BC bldg. But I don't know for sure.
Nah, no way it's 580-590 right now. I'm thinking 520' max right now. It's not even higher than the Commerce Square buildings yet which are 565 feet tall.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Nah, no way it's 580-590 right now. I'm thinking 520' max right now. It's not even higher than the Commerce Square buildings yet which are 565 feet tall.
It looks a little higher than the taller centre square building that you can see between liberty 1 & 2. That building is 490 i believe. So maybe this just broke 500.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 8:39 PM

Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:33 PM

^ from that shot it likes like its 545 ft, which makes you realize woah theres still more to go with this core.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:12 AM
Mr. Technology

Philly is really building big these days!
Considering the tremendous amount of development, I'd say that the only city that's growing more is NYC.

I don't see much for other cities (I looked at about 20 cities last week, none have the development I see in Philly and NYC).

So there you have it, Philly is officially in demand!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Considering the tremendous amount of development, I'd say that the only city that's growing more is NYC.

I don't see much for other cities (I looked at about 20 cities last week, none have the development I see in Philly and NYC).

Would have to say Chicago's doing more as well, but Philly's doing great currently nonetheless. This level of growth or higher needs to be sustained continuously though rather than this period just being an upward spurt in Philly's development timeline before reverting to relative inactivity.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:42 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Would have to say Chicago's doing more as well, but Philly's doing great currently nonetheless. This level of growth or higher needs to be sustained continuously though rather than this period just being an upward spurt in Philly's development timeline before reverting to relative inactivity.
It could be.
Imagine if Philly became Pittsburgh where you have NO skyscrapers in development whatsoever.
Oh sure, they just recently finished a tower a few months back, but look at Comcast!

As they build their 2nd tower, they have already outgrown it and are planning their next (and possibly tallest) third tower!!

I am going to predict a 4th tower is being negotiated.
They just need to scout the area.
Financing won't be a problem, so they are going to buy out any short building that occupies a full city block.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:24 AM

I have a hard time believing they could fill up a taller 3rd tower.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:53 AM

Quote:

I don't want to rain on your parade or the great development in Philly but looking at the SSP database, Philly is no where near NYC. Toronto is the city in NA that is really kicking ass along with NYC with the number of buildings under construction:

Toronto - 132
NYC - 125
Montreal - 48
Miami - 41
Houston - 35
Calgary - 34
Vancouver - 28
San Francisco - 21
Los Angeles - 18
Chicago - 17
Philadelphia - 14

Of course this tower is one of the great ones going up on the continent and it's exciting to follow its rise!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 9:03 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade or the great development in Philly but looking at the SSP database, Philly is no where near NYC. Toronto is the city in NA that is really kicking ass along with NYC with the number of buildings under construction:

Toronto - 132
NYC - 125
Montreal - 48
Miami - 41
Houston - 35
Calgary - 34
Vancouver - 28
San Francisco - 21
Los Angeles - 18
Chicago - 17
Philadelphia - 14

Of course this tower is one of the great ones going up on the continent and it's exciting to follow its rise!
Actually, although I get where you are going with this, the numbers that you site to prove your point are quite wrong. JJv007 was more on point with his earlier post. Chicago is definitely booming. Unfortunately SSP has not updated its figures on the main page.

If you check the Chicago Skyscraperpage, to date, Chicago has:
1. 36 projects in active construction, and
2. 7 projects undergoing "site prep and demo" that will be under active construction within the next month or so.
3. Total skyscrapers in construction for Chicago: 43

And I believe this just accounts for the projects that meet the standard set by the Chicago skyscraperpage forum which has a cutoff at 30 floors or above to be considered as a "skyscraper". Don't quote me on that but I believe that is the rule over there. Additionally, the Chicago skyscraperpage forum has a rule requiring at least 50 floors before a skyscraper can get its own thread... whereas other cities (including New York), have threads for skyscrapers 25 floors/30 floors, etc. This arbitrary 50 floor rule for Chicago is something I know about because I have seen where some of their own forum members have complained about it. Lol. And finally, for towers 30 floors or below Chicago places them under their "General Construction" thread and there I believe you will find another 30/40 or so shorter towers (towers not included in their official tally of "skyscrapers under construction") going up over various parts of Chicago including downtown.

Also, Chicago has a super-tall (3rd tallest building in the city) that has set up its sales center and is set to kick off construction during the 1st quarter of 2016. And it also has 3 or 4 more supertalls that are in proposed/active status.

That said, congrats Philadelphia. Good to see one of the original cities of america coming up again. You guys have some nice projects going on.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Dec 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 3:05 PM

I think the larger point - for me at least- is that those cities listed above never went through anything close to the decline, decay, essential bankruptcy, population lost/white flight, and insane other issues Philly did/has. And yet, the fact that this bedrock American city - so important to our history, identity, and democracy ... is back - bitches!!!

Anyways ... love seeing the diagonal-cross columns going up. On the 2nd level of them, in the model of the building I count 12 of them. Great stuff.

[IMG]IMG_1564

From this morning ..............................

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 5:37 PM

Good points all around and thanks for the stats and info guys. Ultimately I think it comes down to whether Philly can sustain this progress for itself. It may not have as many projects going on as other cities (Minus NYC, old established cities don't usually have as much construction going on in general), but for Philly I think this a good rate of development to maintain. Each city has its own unique infrastructure and development pattern obviously.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:10 PM

delete

Last edited by mmikeyphilly; Dec 12, 2015 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:21 PM
SimCity World Champ

Those models show that despite CITC's ultimate height, Comcast Center is still the big kid on the block (pun sort of intended).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Please, let's not make this a CITY vs. CITY.

It's not a pissing contest to see who can piss the farthest. (Excuse my language). But it starts to get boring watching the discussion with bias opinions. Of course, everyone is Proud of their cities, whether it's 1 construction site or 100 construction sites.

All I have to say is:

ALL CITIES MATTER!

Moderator Note: Please delete my post too if possible, as I'm adding to the discussion off topic. Thanks
Easy there big fella. I live just outside of Tampa, FL. If you read up above, Chicago was mentioned a number of times before I made my post. I just wanted to correct the record... that's all.

I am happy for Philadelphia and said so. I pull for all the older cities of America to come back strong... particularly the rust belt cities of America. I am a fan of history and nostalgia so I follow cities like Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.

My post was never meant to be taken as CITY VS CITY

Thanks

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Dec 12, 2015 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 11:07 PM
Mr. Technology

I don't know why my post was taken to a city -vs- city comparison.
All I said what that besides NYC, Philly is attracting lots of developers.

I love both cities very much.
I am thrilled that we have so much variety in this tri-state area!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
It could be.
Imagine if Philly became Pittsburgh where you have NO skyscrapers in development whatsoever.
Oh sure, they just recently finished a tower a few months back, but look at Comcast!
BRUHHHHHHH, whats up with the Pittsburgh shade? You can't compare the two, totally different ballgames. Pittsburgh makes a lot of noise, just not as much as philly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture