HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Trudeau, Butts and Telford targeted by Mark Norman's lawyers in effort to have case tossed

OTTAWA — Lawyers for Vice-Admiral Mark Norman are zeroing in on five top government officials — including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his former top aide Gerald Butts — as they prepare a motion to have the criminal case tossed out of court next month.

On Friday, Norman’s lawyer read out a list of priority people whose records need to be produced ahead of the abuse-of-process motion, scheduled to be heard starting March 25.

Those five people are Trudeau himself; Butts, who was Trudeau’s principal secretary until resigning earlier this week; Katie Telford, Trudeau’s chief of staff; Michael Wernick, the clerk of the privy council; and Zita Astravas, the former issues manager in the Prime Minister’s Office, and now chief of staff to Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.

“Those are high priority, in my respectful submission, and should be relatively easy to get through if (the Department of Justice) would provide it to the court to review,” Henein said.

“These requests have been outstanding for some time. I just want to make sure that we’re moving to the top of the list now the material that may be potentially relevant to the abuse.”

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...f-2367c89cedb6
The federal government should cut its loses right now. They've had a bad two weeks and this is another boil that needs to be lanced right now and not in August.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:59 PM

Liberals in 2nd in th latest ipsos poll.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-pol...es-in-Jeopardy

They are now very dependent on Quebec, which will make extracting themselves from this SNC mess more difficult.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:43 PM

According to the Globe, Jody Wilson-Raybould tried to limit political interference from the PMO when appointing judges. Imagine, making decision based on merit rather than political clout, no wonder Butts found her "difficult"!

Jody Wilson-Raybould tried to limit the role of the Prime Minister’s Office in the judicial appointment process, sources have told The Globe and Mail, adding to an already tense standoff between the then-justice minister and Justin Trudeau’s inner circle over the prosecution of engineering giant SNC-Lavalin.

After being named justice minister in 2015, Ms. Wilson-Raybould set about depoliticizing the way judges are appointed in Canada, giving greater independence to the seven-member screening committees, which rank candidates based on an extensive new questionnaire. Her judicial adviser until February of last year, Katie Black, said she was hired to bring a non-partisan point of view to the appointment process...

...Ms. Black said Ms. Wilson-Raybould wanted to see judicial appointments based on merit, over the entire course of someone’s legal career, and not on political connections.

“What’s that person’s political background was never considered in the selection process,” she said.

But other sources said the PMO took exception to Ms. Wilson-Raybould’s decision to restrict the amount of information that was shared within the government on the various lawyers looking for a position on the bench. A specific point of contention was whether the PMO should have access to the confidential assessment of candidates provided by sitting judges, including the chief justices of the courts with vacancies to fill, the sources said...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...t-in-judicial/

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Seems like this PMO wanted its judiciary to be politically reliable. JWR wanted an apolitical judiciary. I like this lady more and more.
Same here. Impressive.

I think if I were Andrew Scheer, in light of that, I'd announce she'd be the Justice Minister of a Tory government if elected with a majority this fall. (That's probably too unconventional to realistically happen, but it could.)

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

I think if I were Andrew Scheer, in light of that, I'd announce she'd be the Justice Minister of a Tory government if elected with a majority this fall. (That's probably too unconventional to realistically happen, but it could.)
Even setting aside why the Tories would want a left-wing Liberal in cabinet, cabinet ministers are expected to maintain cabinet solidarity. She would have to publicly support Sheer’s agenda.

If he separated the roles of Justice Minister and Attorney General (taking the latter role out of cabinet and making it a non-partisan job like Speaker) then he could appoint her Attorney General, which could make things interesting.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:40 PM
triggerer

There is no way the CPC will appoint a native woman to anything, and if they only do it to "own the Libs", that's fucking bullshit and they will need to be called out on it.

Old Posted Today, 12:14 AM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
There is no way the CPC will appoint a native woman to anything, and if they only do it to "own the Libs", that's fucking bullshit and they will need to be called out on it.
Ouate de phoque?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leona_Aglukkaq
Qu'est-ce que le spasme de vivre?

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Today, 12:30 AM
triggerer

Well regardless they certainly won't be appointing Wilson-Raybould to anything. If she was too much for the Liberal cabinet to handle the Conservatives won't even give her a thought.

Old Posted Today, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Well regardless they certainly won't be appointing Wilson-Raybould to anything. If she was too much for the Liberal cabinet to handle the Conservatives won't even give her a thought.
She's getting a lot of support from Conservatives and conservatives. It's possible the main reason she ran as a Liberal in 2015 is because she thought Justin wanted transparency, etc. Before entering politics she spoke on such topics so might have thought she could make a big difference. She'd be a much better fit and feel more comfortable running as a Conservative if she decides to stay in politics.

Old Posted Today, 3:13 AM
triggerer

Quote:
She's getting a lot of support from Conservatives and conservatives. It's possible the main reason she ran as a Liberal in 2015 is because she thought Justin wanted transparency, etc. Before entering politics she spoke on such topics so might have thought she could make a big difference. She'd be a much better fit and feel more comfortable running as a Conservative if she decides to stay in politics.
But the Conservatives ran on transparency in 2006 and failed to deliver it, too. I don't consider her to be naive enough to think that the Conservative's commitment to transparency and non-partisanship will reach any further than the Liberal's commitment has. In the end, both parties use transparency and non-partisanship (and electoral reform) to make themselves look good in the election, and then once in power, only take those pledges as far as they need to to suit political goals.

If Jody Wilson-Raybould is as committed to transparency as we believe, then the conservative movement might be welcoming to her but the Conservative party will not prove to be a suitable vehicle toward achieving her goals.

And you can disagree with me all you want, but I'm old enough now to know better than to take political promises of transparency seriously from anyone. I've seen how "we will be transparent" works in the minds of partisans. They keep using that word, but I don't think it means what they think it means.

Old Posted Today, 3:21 AM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Perhaps not, but that's probably not related to her being indigenous. If anything Scheer would probably love to have a star recruit that's indigenous. (Well, any party would...)
Qu'est-ce que le spasme de vivre?

- Émile Nelligan

Old Posted Today, 3:59 AM

Quote:
But the Conservatives ran on transparency in 2006 and failed to deliver it, too. I don't consider her to be naive enough to think that the Conservative's commitment to transparency and non-partisanship will reach any further than the Liberal's commitment has. In the end, both parties use transparency and non-partisanship (and electoral reform) to make themselves look good in the election, and then once in power, only take those pledges as far as they need to to suit political goals.

If Jody Wilson-Raybould is as committed to transparency as we believe, then the conservative movement might be welcoming to her but the Conservative party will not prove to be a suitable vehicle toward achieving her goals.

And you can disagree with me all you want, but I'm old enough now to know better than to take political promises of transparency seriously from anyone. I've seen how "we will be transparent" works in the minds of partisans. They keep using that word, but I don't think it means what they think it means.
You say the Conservatives failed to deliver on transparency but you also claimed that they never would appoint a First Nations person to cabinet when they already have. Justin made a number of big promises that he had no intention of keeping which is so typical of the Liberal party. Hopefully this fall people who blindly vote Liberal every election will see just how rotten to the core that party is and vote back in the Conservatives. Or stay at home. It's going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by Justin and his gang.

Old Posted Today, 4:13 AM
triggerer

Quote:
You say the Conservatives failed to deliver on transparency but you also claimed that they never would appoint a First Nations person to cabinet when they already have.
Haha, well I guess that totally and completely invalidates every criticism I have of them!

Quote:
Justin made a number of big promises that he had no intention of keeping which is so typical of the Liberal party.
It is typical of all of the parties. It is typical of every politician. ALL OF THEM. EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE! It would be true of me if I were to run for politics, and I guarantee that!

Why? Because once you get into a position of power, you realize how impractical some of your ideas are. Or how difficult it will be to actually accomplish them, once you get an understanding of how much change they will require in so many aspects of government. Or you realize how detrimental one idea might be to successfully implementing your other ideas or your less publicized goals. Or you might realize that you have the right general idea, but your specific goal for its implementation is at odds with the public's opinion on the issue.

Quote:
Hopefully this fall people who blindly vote Liberal every election will see just how rotten to the core that party is and vote back in the Conservatives. Or stay at home. It's going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by Justin and his gang.
So, first off, no one should be blindly voting for anyone. The fact that so many do is one of the biggest downsides to representative democracy as a system of government, because it results in the apathy of voters and the amplification of fringe groups, leading to widespread abuse. (I'm not making an argument that we abolish RD; all the other systems are just as bad or worse!)

If you are going to try to sell me on this idea that the Conservatives will somehow be different, though, you're going to have about as much success doing that as I will convincing you to turn gay. It's not happening. It can't happen. Most importantly, it shouldn't happen.

The Conservative party isn't immune to abuse of power or corruption or lying or deceit or misleading promises or backroom deals or lobbying or personal agendas or backstabbing or any of that fun political stuff, because all of those things are literally the tools of politics itself.

In telling people to vote Conservative, especially in telling me that, you're not saying "vote for this option because it is less corrupt". You're only saying "vote for this option because I like its flavour of corruption better".

And to that I say, fuck you. The Liberals and the Conservatives are the same party. The NDP, Greens, Bloc and Bernier's Choice are novelties. There has never been, and will never be, a government free of abuse of power or corruption or lying or deceit or misleading promises or backroom deals or lobbying or personal agendas or backstabbing in this country nor in any other democracy, and you will never be able to succeed in convincing me that there was because no matter which party running which government in which country I guarantee you I will find at least three of those things, even if they only ran the government for a year.

Old Posted Today, 4:17 AM
triggerer

acottawa proved this entire post wrong thank you acottawa

Last edited by vid; Today at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Today, 4:34 AM

Why can’t conspiracy theorists ever come up with conspiracies that make sense?

Old Posted Today, 4:40 AM

Previous greatest hits of the same conspiracy theorist.

Why Are the Freemasons Collecting Our Children's DNA?

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/amy-ma...b_1906521.html

Old Posted Today, 4:43 AM
triggerer

Thank you, I've deleted the post. Let's get back on track!

Old Posted Today, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Why can’t conspiracy theorists ever come up with conspiracies that make sense?
I can't believe I read all of that. The "best" part was the ISIS link as to why she was moved to Veterans Affairs--"Veterans needed a lawyer desperately." WTF? Veterans Affairs has no lawyers?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada