HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:22 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Looks eerily familiar

Look how different the surrounding area is though compared to now. It's funny how time has changed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Yeah, you can see the North Tower being started, but as the photo indicates, the South Tower was not yet started.

In another photo, 7 WTC wasn't built yet, but there was a substation there in the shape of it upon which Silverstein built the tower.

Note how the remains of Greenwich Street ran throuh the area before the construction began.

Also, upon visiting Tishman's website, I found out that they built the Twins.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 5:42 AM

Lecom, thank you for posting that picture. I've never seen the towers at that stage before from such a telling angle. What year is that -- '67-68ish?

Intersting to see one of the two Hudson Terminal buildings is still standing.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 12:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Beekman would appear just to the left of 7 WTC, at about the same height, no?
Now that I look at it closer, Beekman would probably appear between towers 2 and 3 in that rendering. At 876 ft, it'd be taller than Chase, but set back about the same distance. Other than that, it would be behind tower 2.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Lecom, thank you for posting that picture. I've never seen the towers at that stage before from such a telling angle. What year is that -- '67-68ish?

Intersting to see one of the two Hudson Terminal buildings is still standing.

Probably around that time, since the bathtub had to be built first.

Now I see the outline of the tub area where the Twins were built, while past that area, no tub walls were put in.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 2:21 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Look how different the surrounding area is though compared to now. It's funny how time has changed.
the good ol' days

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 4:42 PM

On wikipedia I read that the Freedom tower will have 108 ( 87 for occupancy ) floors and that will there be an obs deck at 1362 feet? Is it true?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 5:26 PM

I think it will be equal to that of a 108 story building, with the foundation, and some area on top being non-floors, the foundation being equal to the first 15 and some utility floors between the observation deck and the top business floor. Kind of like the Empire State Buildings "floors" 86 t0 102 are between the rooftop and the top of the spire, which has a little compartment inside and is considered the 102nd floor.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
the Empire State Buildings "floors" 86 t0 102 are between the rooftop and the top of the spire, which has a little compartment inside and is considered the 102nd floor.
The Empire State's 102nd floor is currently the city's highest observation deck. The more popular deck (on the 86th) is the city's highest outdoor observation deck...(btw, there are a few regular floors above the 86th)

Quote:
86th Floor Observatory:
The 86th floor Observatory, 1,050 feet (320 meters), reached by high speed, automatic elevators, has both a glass-enclosed area, which is heated in winter and cooled in summer, and spacious outdoor promenades on all four sides of the Building. High powered binoculars are available on the promenades for the convenience of visitors at a minimal cost. Souvenir counters are also located in the 86th floor observatory. The 86th floor observatory is handicap accessible.

102nd Floor Observatory:
The 102nd floor Observatory has reopened as of November 1, 2005.
Admission tickets are only sold at the Observatory ticket office, located on the 2nd floor of the building, at a cost of $15.00 in addition to regular admission tickets.

Observatory Hours:
Open daily 365 days a year.
8:00am to 2:00am, 7 days a week. Last elevators go up at 1:15am.

from the 102nd...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/starber...7594327002396/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starfis...n/photostream/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 22, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 1:48 PM
BANNED

I think that's highway robbery for them to want to friggen charge an additional $15.00 just to go up into that 102nd floor shoebox!!

I was told or heard that only 10 or 12 people can fit in there at one given time.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 1:52 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

the twins were a 110 floors, and and 92 feet shorter , then the sears, which also has 110 floors, and BD is at level 116 and is only at the 103 floor of the sears right now, interesting how the floor count is on some buildings

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 1:56 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
I think that's highway robbery for them to want to friggen charge an additional $15.00 just to go up into that 102nd floor shoebox!!

I was told or heard that only 10 or 12 people can fit in there at one given time.
yes it is a shoebox , as i myself , was lucky enough to go up there alot of times, at the price of addmission, now it will cost about 30.00 to see both decks, which also includes a movie, and last i seen the movie they still included the twins, i just hope F/T will have the outdoor deck, like 2 wtc, that was breathtaken.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 2:04 PM
BANNED

In the beginning, it was said that the Freedom Tower would have 2 obs decks.

Now they're only mentioning one. And it is my belief that because of the rotating support ring for the spire, they probably won't put a 2nd obs deck there.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 3:04 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

That little white ring is supposed to rotate?

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 3:21 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
the twins were a 110 floors, and and 92 feet shorter , then the sears, which also has 110 floors, and BD is at level 116 and is only at the 103 floor of the sears right now, interesting how the floor count is on some buildings
Even more interesting was that the WTC observation decks were higherthan Sears'.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

If people want to get up there, they'll spend the extra $15. If the demand is too high, it'll lead to closing again. As you've just noted, it's a very limited space.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
In the beginning, it was said that the Freedom Tower would have 2 obs decks.

Now they're only mentioning one. And it is my belief that because of the rotating support ring for the spire, they probably won't put a 2nd obs deck there.
There'll be no outdoor deck/rotating ring at the Freedom Tower. Previous plans called for an outdoor deck at 1,362 ft, but that was pulled back.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 10:27 PM
BANNED

You'd think that after all this time, they'd put a restaurant up there somewhere between the 86th and 102nd floors, but I guess that won't happen.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 11:31 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
You'd think that after all this time, they'd put a restaurant up there somewhere between the 86th and 102nd floors, but I guess that won't happen.
There's no room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive