HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 4:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Premier agreed to change the condition on the $7 million grant, it's funding for the restoration of the Lister Block. Nothing to do with the original intent towards the Public Health department.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 4:42 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Public Health occupies what? one or two floors in the Right House. That is not half the Lister Block in terms of space.

Last edited by realcity; Aug 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

the Right House is top 5 fav Hamilton buildings

Last edited by realcity; Aug 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Sorry to hijack the Lister thread
but the Right House is top 5 fav Hamilton buildings
This is back when it was rebranded "Park Place"
and when Hamilton had money and downtown stores, like Harry Rosen.
I will just hate to see the day the day when the Right House (a former chain high end dept) goes dark. That will say a lot about Hamilton. The Connaught to me is already destroyed. The Right House's interior is still intact, unlike the Connaught. I remember when Robert T. Kelly Advertising occupied the top floor. Now currently called JanKelly a merger with a Brantford ad agency and Kelly and now guess where they are? Burlington. A Brantford company merges with a Hamilton company and relocates in Burlington. Repeat a similar senario about 1000 times and then you'll understand why Hamilton is a wreakhole. Anyway... i posted these before. they are interesting. They are from a former great local Ad Agency called Urban Associates. Until all the head offices bailed on Hamilton it was doing for work for E.D. Smith, HI Case, Smirnoff, Stelco, Dofasco, Spectator (and Southam), etc. So when we lose private companies we lose a lot more service jobs, legal, accounting, advertising, etc. Let's keep moving in the public sector... that'll work. I'm so glad that our two biggest employers are Health and Education. Both publicly funded. I would rather have Camco, Siemens, Firestone, HI Case, Stelco, Dofasco, Proctor and Gamble back in a second.

I coundn't agree more

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 4:31 AM

Hmmm, interesting handle there, little t

Old Posted Aug 17, 2010, 9:03 AM

"they are from a former great local Ad Agency called Urban Associates. Until all the head offices bailed on Hamilton it was doing for work for E.D. Smith, HI Case, Smirnoff, Stelco, Dofasco, Spectator (and Southam), etc. So when we lose private companies we lose a lot more service jobs, legal, accounting, advertising, etc. Let's keep moving in the public sector... that'll work."

As an FYI....Urban Associates is still operating in Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleT View Post
Hmmm, interesting handle there, little t
Sorry I didn't look to see if anyone had it already, kinda a joke that goes on between the guys thought it would be funny to use Good choice I guess

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 7:52 PM

Looks like the scaffolding is coming down. The marble on top looks beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 2:23 AM
Hammer'd

It's not all coming down yet but they have taken down the top section since they are finished the terra cotta detailing along the roofline. It does look absolutely wonderful too. The windows are also looking much better now. From the outside this is actually looking like a nicely done restoration.

The Thomas building sure ain't looking hot though... poor thing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 5:20 AM

The Lister is looking good. Took a few shots of it when I was in town last week.

That's more than I can say for the neighbouring Thomas building.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks for the photos! Much appreciated.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lister restoration revealed
Historic building transformed

Teri Pecoskie
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ation-revealed

Concealed by scaffolding and plywood for more than a year, the Lister Block has finally begun to shed its shroud.

The historic building, seen by many as a key to the rejuvenation of downtown Hamilton and one of its worst examples of urban decay, has undergone a tremendous transformation since crews began restoring the structure last September.

And while there's still a substantial amount of work to be done, the Lister's former beauty is already starting to show.

After stripping the building's interior back to its concrete skeleton, workers have now painstakingly restored or replaced much of the terracotta facade, oak storefronts, terrazzo floor tiles and skylights that characterize the King William Street landmark.

The project has been trying at times, said Shawn Marr, vice-president of developer Hi-Rise, but the results show the intricate restoration is well worth the trouble.

“Unlike new construction, which is very straightforward and relatively simple, when you have to integrate the heritage components of a building with the expectations of a modern structure, it's a heck of a challenge,” he said.

“But the work has exceeded my expectations ... People who remember the Lister Block from three years ago as a derelict building are going to be completely overwhelmed.”

According to Marr, whose company worked alongside the Laborers' International Union of North America on the $25-million revamp, the project is also set to wrap up ahead of schedule — good news for the city, which will take ownership of the Lister once work on the 1924 classic renaissance building is complete.

The original plan saw the city taking up residence in March 2012, but Marr said he expects the building will be handed over a year earlier. He said the city will spend several months putting the finishing touches on the space, before about 300 city employees move into the upper floors in September 2011.

“When this deal was originally done, we gave ourselves an awfully long time, because nobody knew how long the heritage work and the heritage approvals were going to take,” Marr said.

“The reason it was so important to have more time than needed was to protect the provincial grant. If we missed that date, we lost the grant.”

He said the province set a deadline of March 2012 for the work to wrap up and the property to be transferred to city hands.

Downtown councillor and mayor-elect Bob Bratina maintains that even with the province's $7-million contribution, the city still invested too much in the project.

“I'm glad the building is being restored, but the cost is way out of line,” he said. “I never supported spending that much money on it.”

Marr, however, said to demolish the building and construct a similar-sized structure from scratch would have actually put the city in a deeper hole, though he couldn't say specifically how much such a project would cost.

For Donovan Pauly, a building conservator for Clifford Restoration Ltd., it's not just the cost that's important, but also the opportunity to preserve a piece of the city's history.

“It shows what can be done for these old buildings,” said Pauly, who's been on site nearly every day since the restoration began. “With a bit of goodwill and a lot of hard work, we can make these buildings survive.

“Building something new is all fine and good, but once it's gone, it's gone. For a city like Hamilton where so much has been lost already, I think it's important. It's going to be an anchor for this area of downtown.”

Clifford vice-president Sam Trigila agrees.

“I think it looks fabulous,” he said. “It's not going to look like a brand-new building. You'll kind of get the feel that it's been there for a long period of time.

“It's nice that it doesn't look crisp and new and flashy ... When a restoration is done properly it should look like you haven't done anything. It takes patience. You really want to do less.”

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 12:57 AM
Hammer'd

Gotta love how LIUNA and their partners have completely reversed their opinion now that the project is being 100% funded by public money. When it was on their dime, the building was unsafe and absolutely had to be demolished. Immediately.

I guarantee if they had their way, there would still be a very large empty lot there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 3:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

LIUNA square as a dance off area

Video Link

I love Sheena haha

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 3:38 AM

Liuna square? I'm pretty sure it's called demolition park.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Lister Block Tenant Improvements
$3.5 Million value - Hamilton, Ontario

Rehabilitation of historic Lister Building to accommodate retail and office space for the City of Hamilton’s Community Services Department and Tourism Hamilton.

Working with stakeholders best practices in current office design were studied, visioning sessions held, and a set of People-centered design principles developed for the building. Leading-edge principals to be used include ‘Right-to-light’: all staff should have direct access to natural light and views, all offices on the interior and circulation along the windows. The primary corner space is used for a generous staff common room. All meeting rooms are on the interior.

http://www.tcarch.ca/projects.php?projectID=140

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:37 AM
Hammer'd

They went with the same architect that is building their new head office right down the street. Talk about sourcing local work I'm impressed.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 7:20 AM

The building's been restored, saved from the wrecking ball. In terms of its use as office space, well, like most it's not what I would have chosen. But like a good Hamiltonian, I suppose I should just be thankful for the scraps I'm served and keep my trap shut...what's done is done.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 10:57 PM

This for the Lister Block.

Quote:
Major sewer, sidewalk and road work on Rebecca, Hughson and King William downtown will kick off street closures beginning Monday.

Rebecca Street (John to Hughson) will close Monday until mid June. Hughson (Rebecca to King William) will close later next week. King William (Hughson to James North) will remain open until Rebecca reopens. Pedestrian access to all businesses will be maintained.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 12:38 AM

Any picture updates?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton