HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard View Post
I was born in Windsor, lived in BC for twenty years and returned to the area in 2008. I just don't see the appeal of Windsor from any point of view and can't see how it will grow in the future. The current market is being driven by a fake economy and retirees from Toronto and Vancouver which will dry up when those markets collapse. Just crazy.
Ontario is Toronto-centric. Everything good or big that happens in this province is aimed towards Toronto. We can negate Ottawa since that's the nation's capital. Think of it, the most notable cities in Ontario that are not an hours drive from Toronto or Ottawa that jump to my mind are London, Windsor, and Kingston. The cities in northern Ontario are largely ignored and have gone to shit. If one big company decided "Hey let's open our ____ tech company in Windsor so that our employees can live decent lives in one of the nicest regions of Canada." many would follow and do the same. Remember, Windsor's glory days where it is seen 100% population growth were because big players decided to move here. That's the biggest obstacle all cities other than Toronto face in Ontario.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 11:26 PM
Registered Ugly

Is anyone thinking about how the proposed high speed rail linkage between Windsor and Toronto would economically benefit Windsor? The prospect of a two-hour train ride seems like it would make Windsor even more highly desirable.

Also, Detroit has a long way to go but this boom seems a bit more capable of being a sustained pattern than your run-of-the-mill cyclical boom-bust cycle (at very least much better than the last half century of decline). I think the upward trend has got to be good for Windsor.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Is anyone thinking about how the proposed high speed rail linkage between Windsor and Toronto would economically benefit Windsor? The prospect of a two-hour train ride seems like it would make Windsor even more highly desirable.

Also, Detroit has a long way to go but this boom seems a bit more capable of being a sustained pattern than your run-of-the-mill cyclical boom-bust cycle (at very least much better than the last half century of decline). I think the upward trend has got to be good for Windsor.
Detroit's boom has been impressive so far, and I fully expect it to continue for many years to come, and what's good for Detroit is also good for Windsor! Plus, Windsor is in the early stages of its own boom as well, so the combination of both cities booming and HSR between the region and Toronto makes the future look very bright for all.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. Would people really commute from Windsor to Toronto if it took two hours? I've heard the commute times there are crazy but I'm from Windsor and my commute is maybe 20 minutes so it just seems a little outlandish to me. I don't know what housing prices are like in Guelph, KW and London but I'd imagine most people would choose to live there, especially if housing prices here keep climbing at this rate. Especially considering that those cities will get linked first and Windsor will be the last.

Also, according to the article I saw "It is hoped that the high-speed rail would open up vast areas of affordable homes to people who want to work in Toronto but live outside of the city." Isn't that exactly what transit systems are meant to avoid nowadays? Imagine, mass transit contributing to urban sprawl! It sounds so weird to me.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 12:14 PM

I very much doubt that anyone in Windsor will commute to Toronto daily for work once HSR is in place, that's just ridiculous for most people! But I do feel that it will open up options for locals to commute to places in between like London or Kitchener more easily.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 9:28 PM

HSR for Windsor

I have no doubt that the HSR will benefit Windsor in a lot of ways. HSR has more meanings as for distance. If I am living in London and take HSR to Toronto Union Station, it will cost me 78 mins for ridding only, not too many time-saving compared with driving there in 2 hours. But for Windsor, HSR will show the advantages.

HSR will also promote Windsor to become one of the best retirement places in Canada. We have a better weather, cheaper living costs and the proximity to US, we are unique. Seniors in Toronto can sell their houses with good money and move to here, and their children still can visit them via a 2-hour HSR travel and back to Toronto in the same day.

Health care industries should be our next focus for economic development if we are becoming a destination for retirement. I am gladly to see the new Hospital project is in progress.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I live in downtown London and I could say much of the same. Similar story in downtown Kitchener. Same for just about every mid-sized city in North America. We have to start somewhere.
what he said

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinxin View Post
I have no doubt that the HSR will benefit Windsor in a lot of ways. HSR has more meanings as for distance. If I am living in London and take HSR to Toronto Union Station, it will cost me 78 mins for ridding only, not too many time-saving compared with driving there in 2 hours. But for Windsor, HSR will show the advantages.

HSR will also promote Windsor to become one of the best retirement places in Canada. We have a better weather, cheaper living costs and the proximity to US, we are unique. Seniors in Toronto can sell their houses with good money and move to here, and their children still can visit them via a 2-hour HSR travel and back to Toronto in the same day.

Health care industries should be our next focus for economic development if we are becoming a destination for retirement. I am gladly to see the new Hospital project is in progress.

You can't get from downtown London to Downtown Toronto in 2 hours unless you are speeding at 3am. The norm is 2 hours from London to say, Mississauga. hell it can often take 2 hours to drive from Missingsausage to downtown Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 8:49 PM

Windsor to be one of the fastest growing economies in Canada at 2.5% in 2017

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...mies-1.4233723

http://blackburnnews.com/windsor/win...windsor-essex/

Last edited by north 42; Aug 4, 2017 at 12:57 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario