HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 4:47 PM

So when they cut the ribbon are we going to see a constant flow from that point forward? Something about a constant flowing creek that changes the whole dynamic of the area. I really believe this project will be a crown jewel for Austin.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Hmm. I thought there was a return pump after every intake, but it appears I'm mistaken. There's only one at the first intake facility. That might be a strategic mistake by the designers.
No, there is only one pump at the top of the tunnel. The three intakes are for flood control.

During non-flood periods of operation, the water will not be high enough to enter the intakes, and it will be pumped from the waterloo park through the creek bed, re-entering the tunnel through the outlet lagoon at lady bird lake. During normal non-storm times the water flows down the creek, into the "outlet" tunnel in the lagoon, back up the tunnel, and then down the creek bed.

During a storm or a flood, there will be runoff in the creek and it will flow down through the creek bed like normal, but any excess water that pushes the waller creek water level high enough will spill over and enter the intake tunnels. During flooding the outlet lagoon functions as an outlet and 3 intake tunnels function as intakes. The intake tunnels allow water that would otherwise flood the creek to be safely channeled into lady bird lake.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 7:00 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwinkles View Post
No, there is only one pump at the top of the tunnel. The three intakes are for flood control.

During non-flood periods of operation, the water will not be high enough to enter the intakes, and it will be pumped from the waterloo park through the creek bed, re-entering the tunnel through the outlet lagoon at lady bird lake. During normal non-storm times the water flows down the creek, into the "outlet" tunnel in the lagoon, back up the tunnel, and then down the creek bed.

During a storm or a flood, there will be runoff in the creek and it will flow down through the creek bed like normal, but any excess water that pushes the waller creek water level high enough will spill over and enter the intake tunnels. During flooding the outlet lagoon functions as an outlet and 3 intake tunnels function as intakes. The intake tunnels allow water that would otherwise flood the creek to be safely channeled into lady bird lake.
Yes... as you can tell from my comment itself.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 9:17 PM

Anyone who is not following Austin Watershed on facebook should get on that!

https://www.facebook.com/AustinWatershed?fref=ts

They have posted some crazy videos of the tunnel inlet activity the past few days.

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/AustinWater...8756409150752/

An update they posted on a comment for the video:
Quote:
Construction is nearly complete on the flood conveyance components of the project. Construction of the pond at the main inlet at Waterloo Park is complete and screens are in place to filter out trash and debris before flows enter the tunnel. Crews are working on the dam in Waterloo Park which will divert floodwaters into the tunnel and limit the amount of water that continues down Waller Creek.
So it's almost active.. so close!

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 9:27 PM

https://www.wallercreek.org/archive/...ial-day-flood/

The reason why Waller Creek didn't flood -- the tunnel was partially working. The inlet tunnel at Waterloo park is done but the dam to divert water into the tunnel is not complete. Nevertheless, a lot of water did get diverted into the tunnel. So the creek was really high but didn't flood.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
https://www.wallercreek.org/archive/...ial-day-flood/

The reason why Waller Creek didn't flood -- the tunnel was partially working. The inlet tunnel at Waterloo park is done but the dam to divert water into the tunnel is not complete. Nevertheless, a lot of water did get diverted into the tunnel. So the creek was really high but didn't flood.
Didn't flood? I guess that depends on who you ask. Easy Tiger may disagree.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 8:28 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

Actually that isn't too bad compared to what it could have been. I've seen it alot higher than that. There wouldn't be anyone standing on that bridge because usually that bridge would be under water.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

Actually that's not bad. It did not reach street level or go out of it's banks so much downtown. UT had problems for sure.
It made snese that something helped!

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 10:44 PM

Actually went to Easy Tiger later that evening (wife needed a chocolate croissant!). They said they did have to shut down the restaurant portion that day, but mainly for safety reasons. It wasn't that much water in the building.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 3:30 PM

Update on CVC issue with Waller Creek Tunnel

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/new...her--6-2m.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:10 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
Update on CVC issue with Waller Creek Tunnel

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/new...her--6-2m.html
Morons. How do they get away with this BS? The view is already obstructed! There is no protected view! They could just add some deck on top and it would improve the so-called protected view.

Stupid SOBs wasting our money because they don't give a shit. It's not their money, why should they care?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 10:23 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I just sent an email to all the council members. You can too.

https://austintexas.gov/email/all-council-members

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post

From what I've seen on this forum, we're on nearly opposite sides of the political spectrum but I've been very annoyed that the city didn't push for a waiver (I think it's a state-defined CVC?) immediately after the problem was discovered, especially with the coming realignment of Red River.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 1:47 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
From what I've seen on this forum, we're on nearly opposite sides of the political spectrum but I've been very annoyed that the city didn't push for a waiver (I think it's a state-defined CVC?) immediately after the problem was discovered, especially with the coming realignment of Red River.
I looked at one map and I think it's a city CVC, which makes it even more frustrating.

And re: political spectrum - I'm polar opposite of almost everyone on this board. But I still love talking about towers and skylines.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:38 AM

Quote:
I looked at one map and I think it's a city CVC, which makes it even more frustrating.

And re: political spectrum - I'm polar opposite of almost everyone on this board. But I still love talking about towers and skylines.
There might be city-state overlap, because in the document I saw it seems like it was defined as a State corridor.

Regardless it needs to go.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 9:08 AM
Meh

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Email sent. I basically asked why not just add an observation deck to the intake structure. Waterloo Park is kind of...boring. Even with the flood control tunnel, unless something is added, the park is mostly just vacant land. An observation deck overlooking the park, the creek and the skyline (and the capitol) would be better than just a hunk of concrete in the middle of the park.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 8:42 PM
World Traveler

I think we can agree that this issue is ridiculous regardless of ones political views. The bottom line is that the city government ought to look into how to not spend more funds, yet they insist on spending far more than necessary. I agree with the fact that a deck would be aesthetically more pleasing and actually add to the public use of the space, that would otherwise be "public land" that essentially was closed to the public. A deck on top (i.e., being flexible...yeah, I know...far chance of any government agency working from that angle), would be cheaper than reconstructing entirely. That's not even one of the ideal views of the capitol building - when I think of views worth protecting, I think more of the ones that travel toward the south and southwest. I'm just irritated at the blatant disregard for public funds and the strict adherence to a silly law (in this particular instance, that is) anyway. Overall I like the CVC's, but there has to be an exception in this case.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:50 PM

In today's AAS, a spokeswoman, Stephanie Lott, with the city's Watershed Protection Dept. said they were doing a "full look" at what happened with the Waller Creek tunnel during the last storm.
I think their main concern was that water flowed over the dam on the intake side which was not supposed to happen, and the area around 12th Street had around six inches of water. A letter of concern was sent to the engineering firm from a city staff person last June expressing concerns about how the tunnel is performing now AND how its going to perform when completed in early 2017 when the 8th St. intake is finished. The main intake structure is slated to be done early next year. The engineering's reply was basically, its not finished yet and erosion control debris helped clog the unfinished intake structure.
Fair enough, but...the intake pond dam was within a foot of being breached back in June with less rain, and that's higher than designed. That was considered a 20 to 30 year flood, the design for a hundred year flood would supposedly keep the water more than one foot from the top of the dam which overflowed last week.
Sooooo....there seems to be some legitimate concerns from the WPD, about how well this tunnel will perform, no doubt it will improve the flooding situation, but will it perform as advertised?. We'd probably have more answers if the intake structure didn't have to be rebuilt. The tunnel would have gotten a true test this year for sure. If I was a developer thinking about sinking money along the creek, I might have to just delay that thought until the tunnel proves itself, but who knows when we'll get another major rain event to truly test the finished product. I see more unforeseen delays ahead for the true Waller Creek vision.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 6, 2015 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 11:36 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
In today's AAS, a spokeswoman, Stephanie Lott, with the city's Watershed Protection Dept. said they were doing a "full look" at what happened with the Waller Creek tunnel during the last storm.
I think their main concern was that water flowed over the dam on the intake side which was not supposed to happen, and the area around 12th Street had around six inches of water. A letter of concern was sent to the engineering firm from a city staff person last June expressing concerns about how the tunnel is performing now AND how its going to perform when completed in early 2017 when the 8th St. intake is finished. The main intake structure is slated to be done early next year. The engineering's reply was basically, its not finished yet and erosion control debris helped clog the unfinished intake structure.
Fair enough, but...the intake pond dam was within a foot of being breached back in June with less rain, and that's higher than designed. That was considered a 20 to 30 year flood, the design for a hundred year flood would supposedly keep the water less than one foot from the top of the dam which overflowed last week.
Sooooo....there seems to be some legitimate concerns from the WPD, about how well this tunnel will perform, no doubt it will improve the flooding situation, but will it perform as advertised. We'd probably have more answers if the intake structure didn't have to be rebuilt. The tunnel would have gotten a true test this year for sure. If I was a developer thinking about sinking money along the creek, I might have to just delay that thought until the tunnel proves itself, but who knows when we'll get another major rain event to truly test the finished product. I see more unforeseen delays ahead for the true Waller Creek vision.
We are in the flash flood capital of the world. I hope they took that into consideration. Hopefully, the engineer is right, but this is unsettling.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:41 AM
World Traveler

...time for tunnel #2?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin