HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

4 Times Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 11:30 PM
Ω

Has only one of the 'television' screens been put up? I consider them to be the only redeeming quality of the strange top. I hope they put screens on all 4 sides. Very Blade Runner.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 1:44 AM
Go Saxons!!

For some reason I've always liked Conde Nast. Probably because it's so unique.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 11:59 PM

I would love to see the white steel box and antenna clad in something to clean up the top of the tower. Right now it looks so unfinished and sloppy.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

The new lighting on this one has made me appreciate it more.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...gXJUGjmQwHd06H
Durst trips the lights fantastic on 42nd St.

The Bank of America Tower is now illuminated at night, shifting from blue to green to gold, thanks to energy-efficient lights from Philips.

By STEVE CUOZZO
December 28, 2010

Quote:
The City That Never Sleeps has a new reason to stay up at night.

In the past few days, without fanfare, the Durst Organization lit up the previously dark spire atop 1 Bryant Park, aka the Bank of America Tower, at Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street. The ornamental shaft -- rising to 1,200 feet, taller than the Chrysler Building's -- now pulsates from blue to green to gold.

The ever-shifting hues powerfully punctuate 1 BP's "wall of white" facade lighting that turns night to day.

At the same time, the broadcast antenna of developer Douglas Durst's 4 Times Square next door was similarly illuminated in a surprise move, making for a choreographed duet above 42nd Street. Although Durst was known to be planning something fun for the top of 1 BP, he'd kept the work on 4 TS under wraps.

The effect is arresting from any vantage point. Viewed from the Queens waterfront, for example, 1 BP appears to be courting the Chrysler Building in a graceful pas de deux.

Eventually, Durst told us, he hopes the tower tops will "play off" a proposed illuminated spire at 1 World Trade Center downtown, where he's partnering with the Port Authority. The 1 WTC shaft will reach to a symbolic 1,776 feet above ground.

Durst's $3.5 million Midtown lighting scheme was created by Cline Bettridge Bernstein Lighting Design and installed during the course of a year by Fred Geller Electrical. The spires are lit from dusk to midnight. Like the rest of 1 Bryant Park, which is LEEDS Platinum-Certified, the lights are energy-efficient.

The 368 LED floodlights on the tower tops are made by Philips Color Kinetics. The total power consumption of about 18.4 KW is believed to be much less than at other illuminated skyscraper tops.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoldier View Post
I would love to see the white steel box and antenna clad in something to clean up the top of the tower. Right now it looks so unfinished and sloppy.
It's industrial and suits the look of the building, especially now that it has the huge antenna.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 8:16 PM
New Yorker for life

December 20, 2010

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 11:24 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Has only one of the 'television' screens been put up? I consider them to be the only redeeming quality of the strange top. I hope they put screens on all 4 sides. Very Blade Runner.
Turns out nobody wants to advertise 50 floors up, which was the whole point of the screens. If and when we get robots and flying cars, the infrastructure is there. Until then, they're sticking with the one unless enough advertisers show interest.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 4:11 AM
Astorian

January 2nd, 2011

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:43 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Turns out nobody wants to advertise 50 floors up, which was the whole point of the screens. If and when we get robots and flying cars, the infrastructure is there. Until then, they're sticking with the one unless enough advertisers show interest.
That’s unfortunate, because it’s really no different than a company having its logo branded on top of a building, such as MetLife right down the street.

If I remember correctly some software company had an advertisement on the Westside about a decade ago when the building was brand new, however, they went bust and so did the advertisement.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 3:57 AM

One of my favorite buildings in New York, if not the world. I remember watching this baby rise when I was working at 36th and 10th. This was back in 1998 or so, and I had an 18th floor view of the tower's construction. The internet was still in its "dial up" days, and renderings were hard to come by. Bottom line, I had no idea what this building's top would look like. All the sides of the building were different, and I kept imagining how they would "bring it all together" with the crown and/or spire. The suspense was killing me.

Every day I watched the progress, my imagination ran wild. Then, one day, the glass facade stopped rising with the steel framework... then it was just the steel framework - now setback - going up, leaving the glass behind. Slowly, the tower's spire began to emerge. Then it all made sense. I thought to myself, "absolutely incredible", and it was such a cutting edge design for its time. The building had a "Jekyl and Hyde" quality to it, appearing different from all angles. This was no boring generic glass box, there was no uniformity. The building was wild and untamed, a characteristic further defined by its open framework top. Oddball? You bet, but a crazy, exciting and futuristic addition to a city populated with boring carbon-copied international-style boxes. Yes, the framework spire did appear unfinished, but that sat well with me. Atlanta's BofA Tower has a see-through spire, and many buildings in Australia have open-framework spires. I still found this building to be simply stunning, a true masterpiece. And the advertising boards were just wacky... kinda tacky, but perfect for this tower and its location.

What I love about Conde Nast is that it has a personality all its own; a personality as complex as the many moods and attitudes of a human being. Viewing this tower from different angles makes me feel different vibes, my mood changes depending on what direction I view the tower from. The building has its professional side, its fun side, its depressing side, its aggressive side, its gentle side, its elegant side, and its blue-collar industrial side. Conde Nast emanates all of the varying moods and emotions of a human being. Conde Nast has a SOUL.

Last edited by Matt; Feb 19, 2011 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 1:50 PM
don't *meddle*...

^^ well put. never before i have met a person who shares such admiration with conde nast! i guess every skyscraper has at least one admirer out there...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Thanks in part to the light show, this has become an unintended icon on the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The top is just plain conde nasty to me. I never liked the disorganized mishmash...looks incomplete (reminds me of scaffolding).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The top is just plain conde nasty to me. I never liked the disorganized mishmash...looks incomplete (reminds me of scaffolding).
I agree. It is a very mismatched building overall and the top is just ugly. I guess it kind of works in the context of time square, but anywhere else it would be unacceptable.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 9:34 AM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:45 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
World Machine

Still hoping that some ads will eventually find their way up there . . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture