HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:30 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Had to check up on the good ol Hali forum and couldn't help notice the Citadel being talked about.

I really liked that hotel...got it for a great price off of Expedia (I think like 400$ for 3 nites), close to everything and the view from our room was great such as Citadel Hill and also this, to the right

Halifax 2010 198 by sens_31, on Flickr

Honestly though, I wanna make another trip back soon...hope they don't mess the hotel up too much

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 2:20 PM

They have a little farewell message posted on their cheap glow promotions type sign on Brunswick Street.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 12:42 AM

Since this is coming down sometime soon might as well have a before picture:

this is a view that should be quite different in time .

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the pictures!
This will definitely be a different view in a few years.

As more downtown developments are completed the behind the scenes perspective to Halifax's cityscape, from Citadel Hill, is going to get even better!

A crane or two at the Nova Centre site would make everyone feel better about the city's density.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post

Sadly it probably won't be. The building in the right hand half of the picture is a goverment office building (Public Service Comm. Building according to google maps) not part of the old Citadel hotel. The new hotel development beyond appears to be roughtly the same height.

The portion of the existing hotel visible on the left hand side of the picture in illustration 3 of the developers website is shown vaguely as a series of plates --- a parking garage perhaps?? http://www.citadelhotelmakeover.ca/images/
Illustration #1 takes liberties with the existing office building but I see no mention of its redevelopment on the website.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post

I may stand corrected - it appears that a third residential tower is indeed to be built on the site but by a different developer - the owner of the apartment towers across the street. Probably just north of the existing gov't office building and probably about 5 stories taller (as will also be the hotel) so it will be visible from Citadel Hill but the ugly old office building will still be prominent. HRM planning department site directs you only to the hotel developer's website thus the confusion.

In any event I hope they also have plans to fix up Scotia Towers - particularly the middle block across the street. The brick facade leaked like a seive when I emptied out a deceased relative's apartment several years ago. Buckled parquet and standing water on the floors after driving rains. Surprised to learn they also own Purdy's Wharf.

Western part of site may still indeed become a parking garage or to be more positive a "future development"

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 1:37 PM
BANNED

According to the renderings, the tower with its length along Cogswell will be half-visible in the view captured by this picture.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

According to the renderings, the tower with its length along Cogswell will be half-visible in the view captured by this picture.
To my eye looking at the renderings and a map of the site the new tower along Cogswell would only extend to about the existing west tower. Curiously image 3 loosely shows another structure to the west on Cogswell while the illustration on the homepage doesn't.

In any event almost anything built on this block would be a big improvement. Something to block the bright red view of Staples would be nice.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 6:50 PM

Here's the document going before the Design Review Committee next week for consideration;

Case 17442 - Substantive Site Plan Approval

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Here's the document going before the Design Review Committee next week for consideration;

Case 17442 - Substantive Site Plan Approval
Interesting, looks like Homewood Suites by Hilton will be one building, and Hampton Inn will be the other.

The appartment building looks like a bigger Vic.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 7:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The apartment looks nicer to me in the report than it did in some earlier renderings. The "V" shaped roof is a bit of a fad but it's still a really nice project. As I've said before it reminds me a lot of what you see in some parts of Seattle (and Nova Centre is similar to the Seattle convention centre).

If this is built there will be an interesting canyon effect along Brunswick Street. It would be complemented nicely by a new tower on the Trinity site -- the downtown would start to blend in with the neighbourhood north of Cogswell instead of ending abruptly in a "dead zone". The new towers would also add a lot of depth/layering to the skyline.

I hope this gets approved quickly. Not sure what the HbD heights are. I could see some people getting upset about how close this is to the Citadel, but as far as I know this is an area that is considered more suitable for highrise development.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Interesting, looks like Homewood Suites by Hilton will be one building, and Hampton Inn will be the other.

The appartment building looks like a bigger Vic.
Interesting, Homewood Suites by Hilton was also suppose to be in the works for Dartmouth Crossing near the existing Hampton Inn at the corner of Wright Avenue and Finlay Drive.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:16 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I hope this gets approved quickly. Not sure what the HbD heights are. I could see some people getting upset about how close this is to the Citadel, but as far as I know this is an area that is considered more suitable for highrise development.
The height limits are shown to be 49 meters pre-bonus height and ramparts maximum post-bonus in the Downtown Halifax Land Use By-law (HRM by Design). The apartment building looks like it is 16 stories which must be very close to 49 meters. I seem to remember reading that it is within the HRM_by_Design limits.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 7:58 PM
Honored Member

The Halifax area will look like crane city this year with Mayor Kelly predicting $1 billion in building permits and all the highrises that have been proposed. I remember Calgary being referred to as crane city in the 1970's. Maybe Halifax is on the verge of taking off (many of the anti-development voices are being drowned out with positive development news, I hope it continues).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for posting that. Presumably the apartments were set at 16 storeys because that would come in just under 49 m. I think 49 m is way too conservative for the Cogswell area but for this proposal the height limit seems to have worked out.

I think 2012 will be a good year for construction. I don't think 100% of projects will move forward but for the downtown area we have a few possibilities:

-Citadel hotel redevelopment
-Drum condos
-Waterside Centre
-Nova Centre
-Clyde Street lots
-Fenwick
-Perhaps the Roy Building

If even 3 or 4 of those move forward it will be a lot of construction for downtown Halifax, particularly when you take into account the projects already under construction like the new library and CCA addition. Halifax is a small city so it doesn't take much to improve the downtown substantially.

Last edited by someone123; Jan 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If even 3 or 4 of those move forward it will be a lot of construction for downtown Halifax, particularly when you take into account the projects already under construction like the new library and CCA addition. Halifax is a small city so it doesn't take much to improve the downtown substantially.
I look forward to seeing the Cogswell Interchange torn down and have the downtown area re-integrated with the Northend. With the Spring Garden Road developments on the south side and condo/commercial developments in the Northend, the downtown area would define a much larger area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:55 PM

I was wondering, once the interchange is torn down does anyone think the foundations of the former buildings will still be there? Iv always thought it would be a great place to rebuild that area and for Halifax to have a proper heritage district, similar to what Quebec city did in the 70s.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I was wondering, once the interchange is torn down does anyone think the foundations of the former buildings will still be there? Iv always thought it would be a great place to rebuild that area and for Halifax to have a proper heritage district, similar to what Quebec city did in the 70s.
Halifax already has far too much faux-heritage rubbish. Besides that area was largely a slum.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 12:19 AM

There's a difference between faux-heritage and heritage reconstruction, look at Louisburg and Quebec City for examples.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:46 AM
BANNED

Heritage reconstruction is a good idea, especially with regard to tourism, but I doubt there's a push for this currently. Haligonians, I've gathered, are craving novelty. People are really looking forward to the completion of the iconic King's Wharf tower, for example.

Halifax has plenty of older building-types. I'm hoping for some ultra-new building designs soon to contrast with what we've already built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth