HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Fair enough, I too take density > height. Certainly for making a city core more interesting, density rules the roost.

e.g., I've been to Paris 8 times, and haven't yet made the (short) trek to La Defense, as I would rather wander the streets of the old core than gaze at relatively banal skyscrapers.
So I took a business trip to Toronto back last fall and was staying on a hotel on Yonge. I have to say that from my perspective, seeing all of the old little 2-story stores along Yonge having been torn down for skyscrapers didn't really feel like it was an improvement. By and large the stores in the bottoms of those towers really lacked character relative to the ones that were there before. And the places that I did go were in the ones that remained, though a lot of them had signs saying that they were likely to close up (I think due to a hike in property taxes. Do others see this differently somehow? Density can be great in creating more money to spend, but it was feeling like there were becoming fewer rather than more of the kinds of interesting places that I would seek out. Maybe someone with more exposure to Toronto can enlighten me?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Yonge Street is the cities spine. 2 storey structures unfortunately no longer meet the needs of this growing city. It has nothing to do with property taxes, Toronto's are relatively low. Commercial rent on busy streets can be jacked up very high pushing out small businesses. Yonge continues to evolve and the section between Dundas and Bloor will like be unrecognizable in a few decades.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:16 PM
I am the law!

I don't like the direction Yonge has taken either. It's going from a rundown commerical strip to high rise residential with some retail thrown in. The larger retail spaces are inward facing mini malls geared towards big box retail. There's little that separates new developments with Vaughan City Centre.

There's still hope with future developments. Not all that has been built involved block busting towers. The new development regardless of its form will look better than the long stretches of construction sites, demolished lots and, vacant buildings Yonge is now. There's plenty of heritage which will separate Yonge from VCC.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:08 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Yea, Yonge has lost a good bit (as quality, not quantity) of retail buildings in the last few years, but not all developers are fully demolishing the sites at least. I applaud those who build by the very least a tower behind the pre-existing façade of the buildings there before the tower came, like FIVE and 1 Yorkville have done and are doing.

The stretch right north of College is a prime example of what's been discussed here. YC Condos, Halo on Yonge, and Teashack 1 and 2 will create a canyon/wall of condos on both sides of Yonge, (If the Marriot hotel towers get redeveloped, then good granny) thankfully not all together.....but it still shows the concerning pattern of growth the city is facing, especially as the Yonge subway line is already packed at morning and afternoon jams.

The urbanity of those retail buildings isn't just by their front facades, but by their less sightly but equally important alleyways that are intended for businesses who use the first floor of these buildings. It creates infrastructure so people can easily walk or ride a bike behind these buildings to get to other buildings further out, even though it wasn't intended to be when those rows of retail buildings went up.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:51 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagators63 View Post
you made one mistake on that list so check # 13 2 carlton for heights.
Yeah, the spires got chopped off. The real height is 251 metres, but the diagram section has not been amended... yet. Next time I'll revise that.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Yeah, the spires got chopped off. The real height is 251 metres, but the diagram section has not been amended... yet. Next time I'll revise that.
Shit, that's a shame. I liked those as they were. What spires, though? They don't seem to have spires.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:39 AM
I am the law!

The two Aquas were swapped out for one Citigroup Center with twin spires a while ago. They were spooning each other. Doesn't work.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 6:27 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

The spires that were part of the 2 Carlton proposal are no longer there, so the height has decreased from 277 metres to 251 metres.

Old:
[IMG][/IMG]
Source: urbantoronto.ca

Current:
[IMG][/IMG]
Source: https://condonow.com/2-Carlton-Street-Condos

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:54 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Nobu Hotel and Residences broke ground:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...onto-1.4700828

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 8:47 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Two more towers to add to the tabletop effect...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
The spires that were part of the 2 Carlton proposal are no longer there, so the height has decreased from 277 metres to 251 metres.
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were discussing Chelsea Gardens.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:11 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Haha. If Chelsea were to happen anytime soon I'd be very surprised. I find 475 Yonge to be more likely due to the developer having a presence in the building (retail, used for other projects I believe) and the demolition costs should be less, since the buildings are less complex and tall than the Chelsea.

Maybe in ten years we might see either of these happen, but we could be in for a surprise I suppose. (Heck, the Grand Hotel redevelopment is similar as well)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:47 PM
I am the law!

The Grand Hotel isn't being demolished. The tower is planned for the parking lot.

I recall 475 Yonge was purchased by a Hotel REIT through a private equity investment from Kingsett. There's some development experience there. None are condo developers.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 11:52 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Damn, didn't know that. I'm glad to hear of that.....it's not a bad lookin building.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Haha. If Chelsea were to happen anytime soon I'd be very surprised. I find 475 Yonge to be more likely due to the developer having a presence in the building (retail, used for other projects I believe) and the demolition costs should be less, since the buildings are less complex and tall than the Chelsea.

Maybe in ten years we might see either of these happen, but we could be in for a surprise I suppose. (Heck, the Grand Hotel redevelopment is similar as well)
I know you're just speculating with regard to Chelsea taking awhile, but I figured as much. I love the grey, modernist austerity of the Chelsea Gardens twins; most people have been denigrating them as unimaginative, which I cannot refute. I'd be happy with 475 Yonge in the meantime. It's an attractive design.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:25 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I would bet that the Chelsea twins go through at least 1 more design change before they are approved.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 1:42 AM

Tallest tower of the Gilmore Place development is apparently 705 feet according to one source. 214.8 metres. Making it the tallest confirmed height in Metro-Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:15 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Good grief Burnaby, that's crazy.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
I would bet that the Chelsea twins go through at least 1 more design change before they are approved.
Probably so, but I hope they don't mess with the minimalism too much.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:32 AM
I am the law!

There's just so many residential proposals without a known residential developer attached to it. It will take time to build them all and the list continues to grow. The ones that don't require months to years of demolition have an advantage over those that do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada