HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:14 PM
Closed account

Stinson and Emerald?? Is that the one with brick cleaning going on recently??
Great job! The house is really looking great.
Welcome to the Hammer!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 6:53 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
Stinson and Emerald?? Is that the one with brick cleaning going on recently??
Great job! The house is really looking great.
Welcome to the Hammer!
No, that house is on Stinson and East. We looked at that house when it went on the chopping block, and it was a disaster inside. Unlivable... but, by the time we had a walkthrough, it had 3 offers on it! Great news for the area. That means that there are some other people out there who know a good thing when they see it. That house will be great when it's done; the whole street (south of Main) is great.

Our house is the great big one on the corner of Stinson and Emerald. It has a black wrought iron gate around it, a wrap around porch and a big blue camper van parked out back. You can't miss it!

We don't have the immediate funding to attack the place like Stinson/East, but we'll get there. Turning a 4 apartment house back into a single family home is a lot of W O R K! Hahaha... but it'll all be worth it in the end. Only good things can happen here.

PS: great site, Raise the Hammer! We checked it out before our big move here, to get an idea of local politics, culture and whatnot. It's pretty much a daily read for us now. Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:15 AM

That's a really big house, you aren't kidding it will be lots of W O R K. One project at a time, one project at a time.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:56 AM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
That's a really big house, you aren't kidding it will be lots of W O R K. One project at a time, one project at a time.
Hahaha... yea; I've got my outside projects lined up (for the summer), and my inside projects almost listed out (for the winter). Oh it's gonna be a busy decade... hahaha!

It'll be interesting to see the one raisethehammer was talking about on East/Stinson when it's done. I'm getting my agent to set up a veiwing once it's on the market; just to see what they did with it. I know the one next to it was listed for $289K and sold within a week, so that's promising news for the area.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 2:27 AM
Closed account

you mean it is being fixed up in order to be flipped?? Interesting.
$289,000?? Wow! That's amazing for that area.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:13 PM

Interesting they chose to clean the brick at the beginning of the restoration.

I were to flip it cleaning the brick would be one of the last things I would do (OK, I would never do it). I wouldn't think you'd get your money back from brick cleaning, and though the cleaned brick looks good from afar, it doesn't look good at all close-up.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:24 PM

Depends if its done right or not!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Depends if its done right or not!
Done wrong, or done wright, all cleaning methods remove the outer crust of the brick which is a result of the firing process during the bricks making.

Some results are horrible, others better. All results while leaving the brick cleaner, also leave the brick in a state altered from the original brick.

Either way, I don't think the cost of the cleaning would be recoverable through increased value of the house in a house flipping exercise.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:41 AM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Done wrong, or done wright, all cleaning methods remove the outer crust of the brick which is a result of the firing process during the bricks making.

Some results are horrible, others better. All results while leaving the brick cleaner, also leave the brick in a state altered from the original brick.

Either way, I don't think the cost of the cleaning would be recoverable through increased value of the house in a house flipping exercise.
Very true, FairHamilton; the main problem with brick cleaning (before OR after) is the cost. It is really expensive.

The cost CAN be recoverable... in London (UK), Vancouver (if you can find any brick houses left! Ha!), Toronto, etc.. anywhere where the housing prices are sky high.

Here in the Hammer, where things are quite reasonably (read: CHEAP!) priced, one cannot expect to throw in the cost + profit % into the asking price; houses do not have that large of a demand.......... yet.

Also, as raisethehammer was saying before, I'm pretty sure that house (East/Stinson) is a flipper; large crews in action shortly after possession date, contractor advertising and bidding war (it went for $5000 above the asking price within a war between 4 bidders). Those things usually point to a quick turnaround.

Regardless, it adds to my new neiboughhood and my new city. And that can't be all that bad.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 3:53 AM

I agree. Its usually best to leave the face of the brick alone (while redoing joints) Someone sandblasted the brick on my house about 20 years ago, and it still looks great, but I wish they would have taken care of the joint work instead!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
Closed account

If Harry is looking for a smaller project to take, how about buying STINSON school on STINSON street in the STINSON neighbourhood and doing some lofts with ground floor resto/cafe.

How sweet would that be. It's literally calling his name.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 4:55 PM

Yep. It seems like he really needs to build some equity at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckyboy View Post
Hahaha... yea; I've got my outside projects lined up (for the summer), and my inside projects almost listed out (for the winter). Oh it's gonna be a busy decade... hahaha!

It'll be interesting to see the one raisethehammer was talking about on East/Stinson when it's done. I'm getting my agent to set up a veiwing once it's on the market; just to see what they did with it. I know the one next to it was listed for $289K and sold within a week, so that's promising news for the area.

Wish there were photos of the before. Would love to see the brick restored on 116/118 East Ave as it was on this house.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 1:36 AM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post
Wish there were photos of the before. Would love to see the brick restored on 116/118 East Ave as it was on this house.
Oh my god. This thread's been dormant for Twelve Years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos