HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:05 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
IMO a quarterback needs to be mobile. Plain and simple. When you can't run for 3 yards to get a first down, you're no good. Streveler can,throw, run, and not afraid to take a hit.
Yup. I have been saying this all season. O'Shea's biggest liability is his allegiance to Nichols. Streveler is talented and there is no doubt that other teams may come calling next season. The Bombers need to develop him now as their #1. Nichols had his shot and I think it's time to move on. If I have to see him throw one more ball to the sidelines when he gets into trouble in the pocket, I am going to scream bloody hell!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:07 PM

^ The problem is Streveler's aggressive style will make him susceptible to injuries, so keeping Nichols around as a 1A could be good if the cap will allow it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 7:06 PM

The challenge the Bombers, and all CFL teams, coming into the 2019 season is the start of the salary cap for non-playing football operations staff (coaches, assistants, scouts, etc).

It is going to be increasingly difficult for teams to have both a HC and an "interim HC" on staff at the same time. For that reason it seems the Bombers will need to move on from either O'Shea or La Police this off season. That BC and Toronto are already looking for coaches and Halifax could be shopping for a GM definitely presents opportunities to people like La Police that would likely be making those sort of short lists.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:40 AM

NO fan of CBC but interesting perspective on the Bombers and their dilemma. I think real changes in management and coaching are needed to change this.

Blue Bombers' Grey Cup drought is older than the World Wide Web

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...8XNAo8fQOLzcXk

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:19 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge the Bombers, and all CFL teams, coming into the 2019 season is the start of the salary cap for non-playing football operations staff (coaches, assistants, scouts, etc).

It is going to be increasingly difficult for teams to have both a HC and an "interim HC" on staff at the same time. For that reason it seems the Bombers will need to move on from either O'Shea or La Police this off season. That BC and Toronto are already looking for coaches and Halifax could be shopping for a GM definitely presents opportunities to people like La Police that would likely be making those sort of short lists.
That seems like a pretty strange idea from the CFL. Being able to pay reasonably well-known coaches good money is one of the few ways that the league can still appear a bit "major league". I don't see the rationale for doing this, given that no one is forced to pay their staffs excessively and given that doing so probably doesn't really confer all that much of an advantage on a team. I take it that it has something to do with the CBA negotiations.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 1:50 PM

^ I think the sense was that spending on coaching staffs was starting to explode throughout the league, with teams adding a steady stream of more, and increasingly better compensated coaches. Which makes sense on some level because the CFL still has to compete for coaching talent, perhaps not so much with NFL teams as it does with NCAA and CIS teams. For example, Danny Maciocia opted to leave the uncertain world of CFL coaching to take a nice, steady, presumably well-paid job with pension and benefits at the University of Montreal instead.

Meanwhile, player salaries have barely budged by pro sports standards since the 1980s (the cap was $3 million in 1988, although I think it included coaches back then... the player salary cap this year was $5.2 million). Not surprisingly, it's a sore spot for the CFLPA.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:10 PM
arf

Without lucrative TV contracts, the CFL is a gate-receipt driven economy. It is not surprising that player salaries are going nowhere these days. Get out there and get fans in the seats and watching screens if you want to be paid.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Without lucrative TV contracts, the CFL is a gate-receipt driven economy. It is not surprising that player salaries are going nowhere these days. Get out there and get fans in the seats and watching screens if you want to be paid.
I don't profess to be an expert in CFL team economics, but you would think there is some money. Isn't the TSN deal worth around $4 million or so a team? 20,000 fans x $50 a ticket gives you a million bucks a game, so that's $9 million right there (we won't even count the preseason game). That's $13 million just based on tickets and TV before getting into any other revenue sources including sponsorship, merchandise, concessions or whatever else. Surely the league could manage a few more bucks for the players than the $5.2 million they're currently paying?!?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:33 PM
arf

I don't profess to know the economics either, but here's an article outlining some stuff from the Roughrider's 2016-2017 budget year...

Roughriders Earned Modest Profit 2016-2017

40.3 million in expenditures...seems ridiculously high if player salaries are accounting for 5 million of that. I'm sure I had seen more detailed numbers somewhere.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:36 PM

I also don't know the full economics of the league. That said when the new commissionaire came in his office has access to the fully open financial books for every team for a number of years. What was reportedly publicly is they noticed a trend that football operations expenditures were growing far quicker than supporting revenue sources. The commissionaire then presented the findings to the league governors (ie teams) and recommended they implement a salary cap structure for those positions. The teams agreed with the recommendation.

It will make it a lot more difficult for a team like the Bombers to employee a HC (O'Shea) and have an "interim HC" (LaPolice) waiting elsewhere on their coaching roster. Of Hufnagel and Dickenson with the Stamps a few years back. This will mean that all teams are going to have easier access at getting the top tier people in the different areas as teams won't be able to bury people anymore. It also helps teams better focus on priority areas, aka putting the money on player salaries.

It isn't a bad move long term but will definitely have some growing pains as it rolls out. I would also guess the CIS is going to fall in line too as they won't need to be offering as much cash to get access to top talent for their own coaching staffs.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:38 PM

IMO, the NHL and other sports leagues should do the same. Big markets have an advantage over everyone else. Such as coaches salaries. Now way a team like the Jets can compete for an $8m per year coach like Babcock.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 9:44 PM

The new cap rules for staff will not affect the Bombers, they will affect teams that are currently spending over what the limit will be, such as Saskatchewan. The Bombers are not.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The new cap rules for staff will not affect the Bombers, they will affect teams that are currently spending over what the limit will be, such as Saskatchewan. The Bombers are not.
Yes, good point. I think the new rules were partly in response to the fact that Saskatchewan is sitting on a large amount of money relative to the other teams and went on a bit of a coach hiring spree.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:43 PM

The Bombers have spent a lot of seasons having both a HC and a HC in waiting on their coaching staff. The Stamps also had basically two head coaches for a number of years. I have also seen former Bomber HCs on staff at other CFL teams so they could be running a similar setup.

It was definitely time to put things a little more in check.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 10:05 PM

Well, when the cap on staff was announced, the Bombers basically said "meh" because they don't carry anywhere near as much staff as Saskatchewan, Calgary and Toronto. Those are the teams that will really be affected.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 4:00 PM

Springtime is nigh and we can look forward to another season of Smirky Mike O’Shea and the brilliant defensive stylings of Richie Hall.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 4:03 PM

Bad reads and blown leads, baby!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Springtime is nigh and we can look forward to another season of Smirky Mike O’Shea and the brilliant defensive stylings of Richie Hall.
You mean you don't like Richie Hall's strategy of having undersized players swat uselessly at the other team's player as he runs past them? What about hoping and praying the opponent drops the pass....or their QB develops narcolepsy? SURELY these are cup-winning strategies!!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
You mean you don't like Richie Hall's strategy of having undersized players swat uselessly at the other team's player as he runs past them? What about hoping and praying the opponent drops the pass....or their QB develops narcolepsy? SURELY these are cup-winning strategies!!
While I don't necessarily agree, that was funny!

Decent plus-sized DBs are hard to come by. I like our defensive pieces. Whether we have an offense that can do anything but run the football is debatable. I'm forever hopeful.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
While I don't necessarily agree, that was funny!

Decent plus-sized DBs are hard to come by. I like our defensive pieces. Whether we have an offense that can do anything but run the football is debatable. I'm forever hopeful.
I humbly bow to your gracious comment! I agree that good sized DB's ARE hard to come by. It just isn't that clear to me what Richie Hall wants to accomplish with his defensive strategy. Apart from the defensive line they have seemed very soft against the pass the last couple of years (to these uneducated eyes).

Offense....well, I have often thought O'Shea never appeared to do much (or any) coaching while on the sidelines., and that LaPolice has been the head-coach-in-waiting for the last couple of seasons. Again, just from an (uneducated0 observers standpoint.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan