HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:20 PM

Warehouse District $70M condo tower construction to begin this year, developer says
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:38 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Warehouse District $70M condo tower construction to begin this year, developer says
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2
hope so lol but im not holding my breath on this one.. just believe it when i see it

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 8:44 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
hope so lol but im not holding my breath on this one.. just believe it when i see it
Well at least this time around theres actual investors (so it seems), realtors, construction company, etc. But yeah.. Cautiously optimistic. And regarding that gorgeous new building at the old Reilly food HQ on magazine looked like they were setting up the tower crane today!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Well at least this time around theres actual investors (so it seems), realtors, construction company, etc. But yeah.. Cautiously optimistic. And regarding that gorgeous new building at the old Reilly food HQ on magazine looked like they were setting up the tower crane today!
Any pictures? And do you have a link to the new building you are talking about?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:24 AM
-

From this past weekend before crane is up:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:19 PM

Looks like the website for the Drifter Hotel (3522 Tulane Avenue) has launched https://www.thedrifterhotel.com/

Also has anyone heard of what will be replacing the Warehouse Grille at 869 Magazine St? The permits I could see were just for demo, even though it seems like they are building some new interior walls now.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:52 PM

New investment into the growing medical center area.

Quote:
A $100 million cancer treatment center is being proposed on the University Medical Center campus on Canal Street by Tennessee-based Provision Healthcare.

Provision is pursuing a partnership for the Louisiana Proton Therapy Center with University Medical Center New Orleans, LCMC Health and LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans.

The 30,000-square-foot center will use advanced technology that produces fewer side effects than conventional radiation treatments for cancer.

The announcement was made Friday by Provision CEO Terry Douglass and Gov. John Bel Edwards.

The project will create 60 new direct jobs, with an average annual salary of $100,000, plus benefits. Louisiana Economic Development estimates the project also will result in 63 new indirect jobs.

With only two dozen proton therapy centers in operation in the U.S. – and the nearest centers at Willis-Knighton Health System in Shreveport, Louisiana, and MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston – Provision will introduce a more-efficient prototype facility in New Orleans, where the company and local partners expect to draw a wide range of regional, out-of-state and out-of-country patients. The broad geographic base is expected to drive greater medical tourism to New Orleans and increase the city’s profile as a healthcare destination.
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...c9e036fbb.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap111 View Post
Looks like the website for the Drifter Hotel (3522 Tulane Avenue) has launched https://www.thedrifterhotel.com/

Also has anyone heard of what will be replacing the Warehouse Grille at 869 Magazine St? The permits I could see were just for demo, even though it seems like they are building some new interior walls now.
Its some new concept from the Amari Brothers. They said something neighborhood oriented. they tend to do a good job with their renovations so I expect a definite upgrade in aesthetics.

The drifter is a very cool hotel . Has the vibe of something straight out of Palm Springs!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
New investment into the growing medical center area.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...c9e036fbb.html
ANy clue as to where the facililty will be located on the campus?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
ANy clue as to where the facililty will be located on the campus?
This is awesome news! Hopefully they tear down that horrible Cox Cable warehouse facing Canal that somehow survived the new hospital construction plans - total wasted prime real estate.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:08 PM

MSY Modifications

Looks like the "future" hotel's placement has been relocated closer to Loyola Blvd. The hotel height limit is currently planned for 145' max. It's previous location has now been incorporated into the parking garage. The 5 new international gates will be in line and have the same curvature as the main terminal and extend west along the entrance roadway. There will not be a concourse extending southward from the terminal similar to the other two.

Last edited by hightech1217; Apr 26, 2017 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 12:56 AM

Moving the hotel out of the main terminal building negates its main advantage (no shuttle needed).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Moving the hotel out of the main terminal building negates its main advantage (no shuttle needed).
I'm really bummed about this. The hotel looked really good in the original renderings. Now it will probably just look like an average rectangular 5-6 story generic brand hotel.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 10:51 PM

The airport seems to continuously be downgraded from the original design by Pelli. Not sure if the changes are cost related or some other driver. Looks like they gave up on the integrated hotel concept very quickly. They should have left the spot open for when a future developer was found.

http://pcparch.com/project/louis-arm...tional-airport

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:10 AM

National Finance Center At Michoud

Apparently the tornado damaged building is still an issue. Seems like they could have set up new offices and housed most of the workers in available space within the city limits by now. They have to be shelling out lots of money for temporary living expenses alone for the workers relocated to other parts of the state. Kennedy is asking for $296MM. Should be able to build a pretty nice building for that amount of money.

WVUE's Segment on the issue:

http://www.fox8live.com/story/35218857/state-senator-fighting-to-keep-jobs-in-no-east-following-february-tornado

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:09 AM

Most of the NFC employees are either in Shreveport or teleworking from home like my spouse. Current thinking is it will be at least a year before everyone is back at Michoud. The people in Shreveport are miserable...staying in fleabag motels and not able to see family for weeks at a time. The goal is to get them back in some of the available space at Michoud first. They think they can get about 600 people into the available space. The remaining employees who are teleworking from home will likely continue to do so until the old building is repaired or replaced. That's what is being passed on to the employees at this point.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:27 PM

Without trying to be too political (because I enjoy this thread because of it being a politics free zone), I am disgusted by the removal of these monuments for more reasons than most. I read this thread everyday, sometimes twice a day. I look at all the beautiful developments coming to our city and I look at what is going on with these monuments.

Regardless if you are for or against them, leaving just the slabs and pedestals with no plans on what to replace them with is disgusting. We will now have a column in the middle of Lee Circle with nothing on top, a concrete slab by liberty place, etc. etc. It saddens me that this city had no forward thinking plan to make this more aesthetically appealing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Without trying to be too political (because I enjoy this thread because of it being a politics free zone), I am disgusted by the removal of these monuments for more reasons than most. I read this thread everyday, sometimes twice a day. I look at all the beautiful developments coming to our city and I look at what is going on with these monuments.

Regardless if you are for or against them, leaving just the slabs and pedestals with no plans on what to replace them with is disgusting. We will now have a column in the middle of Lee Circle with nothing on top, a concrete slab by liberty place, etc. etc. It saddens me that this city had no forward thinking plan to make this more aesthetically appealing.
I do not think the monument removal can be discussed without being political or offending someone. Please don't try to prove me wrong....

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
I do not think the monument removal can be discussed without being political or offending someone. Please don't try to prove me wrong....
Yeah... It's hard to discuss this without being political, nevertheless I think it worth discussing as this is a development thread and this decision will lead to the redevelopment to prominent public spaces in our city and therefore seems a little unavoidable. In order to keep things political-free, non-offensive and friendly, in the future I don't think we should discuss if they should be removed or not. That decision wasn't up to us and is not going to change, so not worth discussing IMO.

With that in mind, I am excited about the possibilities and would like to hear what you all would like to see at these locations. As much as I love our symbols, such as the fleur de lis, I think it would be really gimmicky and cliche to have something like that up in the air. I kind of like the idea of the Joan of Arc statue being relocated there. Yes, she's not connected to New Orleans but I do think it is one of the more beautiful statues in the city and because of that it's location has always seemed slightly odd to me.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:22 PM
-

I'm still really confused how the access road for new airport will work ... the traffic pattern must be planned to change . Obviously the flyover Ramos won't be there right away so curious the plan to get traffic to flow smoothly to the airport

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations