HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Interesting, thanks. That link mentions it being used for the MkI refurbish, but I'm pretty sure after riding by a number of times, that absolutely nothing is going on in that building.
TImely article from the Burnaby Now that I'm posting in the general thread.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
Any information about the skytrain storage facility thats being built with this line?
I haven't see anything official, but last time I was in the area, the land along Aberdeen between Falcon and Bond has been cleared of the houses.

My guess is that part of Aberdeen St and the south half of the block will be cleared and used for the storage tracks, likely 3 or 4 of them. Not sure if BCHydro will remain on the north half of the block (along Barnet).

Also, apparently there will be an 'overnight maintenance' facility at the end of the line at Lafarge-Douglas. I've heard it will be used for simple overnight maintenance and cleaning of the cars, with other work on the cars being done at Edmonds OMC.

It strikes me as odd that there would be a separate 'overnight maintenance' facility and a storage yard, when I would expect having both facilities on the same site would be cheaper.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 10:37 PM

Interesting.
Does that mean there'll be a shed over the tail tracks at LaFarge-Douglas?
and maybe a 3rd track?

There's that odd 3rd track west of VCC-Clark (not sure what it is used for).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 11:00 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Interesting.
and maybe a 3rd track?

I thought it's for parking service vehicles? I saw one there before.

During the track maintenance late two nights ago, I saw about 4 or 5 special service vechicles on the tracks. I didn't know there were so many.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Interesting.
and maybe a 3rd track?

That 3rd track west of VCC has always made me wonder why it is there, and why it extends further west than the two mainline tracks.

Until now, I've only seen it being used for turning the WB trains to become EB trains at VCC, but I've never seen any of the tracks being used for daytime layup or overnight storage of trains.

It's my understanding that when the UBC / Broadway line is extended west from VCC-Clark, this 3rd track will also be extended and then re-connect to the mainline before the mainline curves into the tunnel portal at Great Northern Way. It will be treated as a layup / storage track for several trains between the AM and PM rush-hours.

Since the area is already industrial, there may be plans for an 'overnight service' yard here using this 3rd track, since further west the UBC / Broadway extension will be all underground.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:59 AM

Interesting, thanks.
(though there could be issues with BNSF if they want land or air rights for a yard)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:37 AM

I thought the third track at VCC Clark was for a possible future line split.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 10:04 AM

The 3rd track may be no big mystery but simply storage for a maintenance vehicle, as we see today. It has a shelter, exit stairs and road access. Probably more we can't see.

The Evergreen line has plans for a maintenance bay at the terminus Lafarge Lake-Douglas station, which I could see being similar to the one at VCC-Clark.

The extension towards UBC would travel on the bottom two tracks (in this picture) and the top one would remain as a maintenance platform, with a vehicle ready for dispatch to nightly maintenance or emergency repairs.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 8:41 PM

^ Thanks. Very effective use of Google Maps' aerial photo.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 8:57 PM

Took the 97B today and saw that the gantry has assembled guideway all the way to Burquitlam station.

Photos by me:

Lougheed East station house construction:

Tried to get a photo of the rail and switch DC158 at Lougheed side platform, but there's too much fencing and tarp in the way

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:20 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
It strikes me as odd that there would be a separate 'overnight maintenance' facility and a storage yard, when I would expect having both facilities on the same site would be cheaper.
Who knows. At the same time, each component takes up much less land than a full OMC and yard.

The great thing about driverless technology and linear motor propulsion is that all of this is possible. You don't have to have a yard at the same site as the maintenance centre, because you don't necessarily even need a staff base for the trains. Since linear motors are low-maintenance, the small maintenance OMCs seem like it'd be a perfect fit to complement the one big OMC we have for any and every future expansion.

Millions saved vs. building a new full OMC/yard.

Last edited by xd_1771; Mar 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:45 AM

except the the anomaly called Canada Line (to rebuild it as LIM and connected to Expo line)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
The maintenance track there also has a small crane (to the right of the orange maintenance speeder vehicle) to lift stuff on to the guideway.

Those maintenance speeder are used by guideway technicians every night for trakc inspections and repairs. They usually have one parked in the Waterfront tail, a bunch in the OMC by Edmonds, and one at the end of the VCC-Clark tail (and maybe King George tail?). It's probably more efficient to launch them from those points instead of always sending them out from the OMC.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
except the the anomaly called Canada Line (to rebuild it as LIM and connected to Expo line)
Wow I thought of this as well. It might be possible at the end of the 35 year agreement if the political will is there since all the original Rotem rolling stock will be end of life by then. It could be labelled as a 'major capacity upgrade'. It would involve:

-complete shutdown of the line for 18 months

-double tracking all single track sections

-all stations/platforms extended to 80-100 meters with modifications for SkyTrain dimensions

-LIM rail retrofit

-building junctions to connect to Expo line at Waterfront and/or Millenium Line at Broadway (assumption M-Line is extended to UBC)

-brand new 5 car SkyTrain rolling stock to roll on the line

Sounds crazy but if a Chinese company bidding on the Montreal Metro car contract actually proposed shutting the system down to retrofit from rubber tired tracks to steel wheel tracks, a LIM rail retrofit seems plausible. If it is wrapped up with capacity upgrades as one project to justify a shut-down to the public, it just might be doable and justified to take advantage of synergies as it will now be publicly operated along with SkyTrain at the end of the 35 year contract.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
Wow I thought of this as well. It might be possible at the end of the 35 year agreement if the political will is there since all the original Rotem rolling stock will be end of life by then. It could be labelled as a 'major capacity upgrade'. It would involve:

-all stations/platforms extended to 80-100 meters with modifications for SkyTrain dimensions

-LIM rail retrofit

-building junctions to connect to Expo line at Waterfront and/or Millenium Line at Broadway (assumption M-Line is extended to UBC)

Sounds crazy but if a Chinese company bidding on the Montreal Metro car contract actually proposed shutting the system down to retrofit from rubber tired tracks to steel wheel tracks, a LIM rail retrofit seems plausible. If it is wrapped up with capacity upgrades as one project to justify a shut-down to the public, it just might be doable and justified to take advantage of synergies as it will now be publicly operated along with SkyTrain at the end of the 35 year contract.
I don't know, while I'd give anything to see the Canada Line converted to Bombardier LIM technology, shutting it down for 18 months would be crazy. 70,000 people use the line a day, it would wreak havoc on the transit system.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post

-LIM rail retrofit

What would be the advantage of this? Inconvenience thousands daily (imagine what the ridership would be in another 30 years), and spend billions on an existing line rather than build, say, another line to serve another part of the region. Any $$$ spent on Cline should be for upgrades not line integration.

FYI, Bombardier's technology is not cheap, being proprietary, it can only be sourced from them. At least conventional electric train parts can be sourced from many many more suppliers.

Many cities use varied technology and even those that share technology between lines, doesn't mean that all the lines are even connected. This does provide advantages that come from line segregation, eg failures like what happened on Friday.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I don't know, while I'd give anything to see the Canada Line converted to Bombardier LIM technology, shutting it down for 18 months would be crazy. 70,000 people use the line a day, it would wreak havoc on the transit system.
Ya but remember the M-Line would be at least as far as Cambie by then. It would make it alot easier to have the line down then now without the M-Line there. We have no idea what platform crowding will be like in 30 years on those tiny 40 even 50 meter platforms.

Shutting the line down for just LIM retrofits would be crazy, but from a PR perspective it's doable if the main justification is 80m+ SkyTrain length platforms, more frequent and reliable service due to elimination of single tracking, and going from 35 year old Rotem trains to full on brand new 5-car Bombardier MK-X trains after the retrofit.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
What would be the advantage of this? Inconvenience thousands daily (imagine what the ridership would be in another 30 years), and spend billions on an existing line rather than build, say, another line to serve another part of the region. Any $$$ spent on Cline should be for upgrades not line integration.

FYI, Bombardier's technology is not cheap, being proprietary, it can only be sourced from them. At least conventional electric train parts can be sourced from many many more suppliers.

Many cities use varied technology and even those that share technology between lines, doesn't mean that all the lines are even connected. This does provide advantages that come from line segregation, eg failures like what happened on Friday.
Ummm...the advantage of this is fixing an under-built line to how it should have been built in the first place. Any $$$ spent on Cline should be for upgrades not line integration??? Did you not see the all the upgrades??? 80m+ platforms, elimination of all single tracked sections, brand new rolling stock which would be EOL by then anyways. Do you think you can replace those single track sections without shutting down those portions of the line anyways for 18 months? Do you think you can upgrade to 80 meter+ long stations without a shutdown for 18 months either?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:56 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Ugh! Why oh why can't people just stay on topic with this particular project??? I click, so many non-Evergreen Line posts and once again, it all goes back to Canada Line.

At least dpogue gave us an update, which is much appreciated. Is the guideway above Como Lake still slanted or have they fixed it already?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Ugh! Why oh why can't people just stay on topic with this particular project??? I click, so many non-Evergreen Line posts and once again, it all goes back to Canada Line.

At least dpogue gave us an update, which is much appreciated. Is the guideway above Como Lake still slanted or have they fixed it already?
Still slanted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure