HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiklyong View Post
Taiwan's model is good. We should have tall buildings only at selected areas as marks of landscape. Places like Shanghai and Hong Kong will one day realise that taiwan's landscape is more in line with humanity. Well done Taiwan, just follow up with the metro infrastructure and severage masterplan.
nah, taipei is like los angeles: just a big urban sprawl with no central business district like a downtown. i think taichung and kaohsiung's urban infrastructure is probably better. they have better looking skyines too where all the office towers are concentrated in one area as opposed to taipei where tall buildings are scattered all over the place.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 8:41 AM

But there is so much more to a city than its skyline! Central business districts with little or no mixed-use development are some of the most sterile places imaginable, despite how flashy they look from a distance. In terms of human scale and pedestrian-friendliness, Taipei is miles ahead of any Chinese metropolis that I've been to (perhaps with the exception of Hong Kong).

Granted, I have never been to Shanghai, but from what I've seen, I'd much rather meander through the crowds of relatively low-rise Xinyi than walk through a desolate superblock in Lujiazui.

While it can't boast of as many megaprojects as its fellow East Asian cities, Taipei has actually done a pretty fantastic job with its urban development over the last few decades.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 8:53 PM
ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razqal View Post
BRING BACK CHIANG KAI SHEK!!!! (just kidding )
Ironically, he had obsolute power, but he did almost nothing to rebuild taiwan before he died. In fact, because of him, Taiwan lost about 20 years of valuable years to rebuild after WWII. Taiwan was actually already one of the top regions in Asia already just after Japan and probably Philiphines before WWII.

After, CKS died, his son Chiang Ching-kuo finally decided to build Taiwan. However, try not to be influenced by the old KMT government's propaganda, if you think about it, CCK also had absolute power, but he did not do a good job comparing to China's the current CCP government. Also, think about it, almost all of Taiwan's ugly buildings(including administrative buildings) were built during that time.

Actually, Taiwan's big cities' city plannings are still based on Japanese era's plans. If you go to smaller and newly developed cities boomed after WWII, then you will find messy city layouts. Chungli is one example.

---

I think Taiwan's problem now is that we don't have strick regulations to restrict renovations of buildings' exteriors, so even Taiwan's cheaper newly built buildings are also butt ugly. The bar windows, and billboards are all over those new buildings. I am also disgusted by those windows boomed all over Taiwane in the past 10 years: http://www.hf101.com/wset.htm(check out the example photos in the page). Taiwan's major cities look like Korean and Japanese cities(not a big suprise). However, the only big differece is what I just mentioned above.

In the past few years, I acutally found some apartment buildings built in the 60's and 70's in Taipei being torn down to rebuild. It's a good start!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 9:52 PM

those windows are sooooo ugly. they should be totally banned. not to mention all the bird cages and prison bars. someone should enforce the laws that prevent apartment owners from altering the appearance of the exterior of the buildings.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 6:25 AM
extroverted geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
But there is so much more to a city than its skyline! Central business districts with little or no mixed-use development are some of the most sterile places imaginable, despite how flashy they look from a distance. In terms of human scale and pedestrian-friendliness, Taipei is miles ahead of any Chinese metropolis that I've been to (perhaps with the exception of Hong Kong).

Granted, I have never been to Shanghai, but from what I've seen, I'd much rather meander through the crowds of relatively low-rise Xinyi than walk through a desolate superblock in Lujiazui.

While it can't boast of as many megaprojects as its fellow East Asian cities, Taipei has actually done a pretty fantastic job with its urban development over the last few decades.
Central Taipei is indeed quite human-friendly and quite well redeveloped, but once you leave the few precious blocks of downtown the whole world turns upside down.

Suddenly there are no sidewalks, and even if there were they are blocked by parked motor scooters. Elevated highways straddle right on top of some main avenues, blocking all sunlight and trapping exhaust fumes from trucks and buses. Pedestrians are often forced to share the road with heavy vehicular traffic because of the lack of open sidewalks.

Central Taipei definitely has a decent urban environment, but outer Taipei has a long way to go. I can't speak for the rest of Taiwan's cities. I would like to disagree on Xinyi, though. It does feel like Lujiazui--some huge malls, a lot of vehicular traffic, a wide and dreary environment...and a pain to walk.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 1:47 AM

Last edited by Razqal; Jul 1, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 6:58 AM
Our world, our village.

Last edited by pierre-laurent; Jul 1, 2007 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 11:19 AM

it could've been worse. that building could've been covered head to toe with small bathroom tiles, taiwanese-style. be grateful it wasn't.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 2:01 PM
Our world, our village.

my god...why have u deleted ur pics? it's all the same interesting to view them! sorry Raz if i offended u!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:10 AM

i accidentally posted them in this thread when they should've been posted in the beito cable car thread, which is where they are now.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 11:01 PM

Xinyi July 3, 2007

Lihwa Citibank

Uni-President starts rising

Cathay - no activity on the plot

Breeze

on the left

Shinkong hotel - no progress since months

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 10:36 PM

iTaipei July 4

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 8:30 PM
Our world, our village.

wow, great!...thx for sharing Taipei Walker!

Quote:
i accidentally posted them in this thread when they should've been posted in the beito cable car thread, which is where they are now.
i was sure that you have the sense of humour...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre-laurent View Post

i was sure that you have the sense of humour...

what was the joke?

Last edited by Razqal; Jul 12, 2007 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 5:57 PM

doesn't this remind u of the pile of manure known as taipei world trade center exhibition hall?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 5:17 AM
Norman Yen ♥ NY

it's seem that there are many construction in Xinyi district, can someone introduce for me? how high or how many floors?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 4:13 AM
ROF

This news is related to what we discussed not long ago:
http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url...09/8/h0ez.html

We will see more of this happening around Taipei.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 4:17 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Construction of Penghu hotel begins
07/17/2007 (Taiwan News)

Ground was broken on Monday on the first build-operate-transfer project for the construction of a five-star international hotel on the outlying island county of Penghu, a major step forward in the development of the county's tourism industry.
The project, which includes an NT$3 billion investment by the Proton Group, is scheduled to be completed in three years. The contract authorizes the group to run the hotel for 35 years after which there is an option for a 10-year extension before the facility is handed over to the county government.

Speaking at the project's ground-breaking ceremony, Penghu County Magistrate Wang Chien-fa thanked Proton Group Board Chairman Shih Lien-an for investing in Penghu.

Wang emphasized his administration's efforts to promote various industries, including tourism, which are aimed at revitalizing Penghu's economy.

He said that the county government and local residents consider environmental protection and marine resource preservation as important factors in the development of the area's tourism sector. Penghu is already known for its clean, white beaches, crystal clear waters, and delicious seafood, he said.

The protection of the county's natural beauty is likely to attract more tourists to world-class attractions such as its basalt columns, Wang said, adding that his administration had also earmarked some other sites on the island as ideal for the building of more world-class hotels.

Of course, he added, Penghu also welcomes investments in other areas of businesses related to Penghu's potential status as a passenger and cargo transportation hub across the Taiwan Strait.

Japan's Interchange Association Kaohsiung Office Director Hiromichi Kambe called on Wang on June 7 to exchange views regarding the county's tourism development and its "mini three links," which allow Penghu residents to travel to China's Fujian Province via direct ferry routes through the Taiwan-held outlying islands of Kinmen and Matsu.

Kambe suggested that in addition to five-star hotels, the county government could consider building venues that would provide comfortable long-stay accomodations at a low cost to backpackers. He also promised to help promote Penghu tourism.

Vice governor of the Fujian Province in China, Wang Meixiang, who is in charge of tourism and foreign affairs, had made a similar suggestion during her visit to Penghu County via the "three direct mini-links," when she led a delegation of more than 100 Fujian officials in April, Wang said.

In addition to Wang and Shih, other dignitaries who attended the delegation were County Council Speaker Chen Chao-ling, Magong City Mayor Su Kun-hsiung (蘇崑雄), Huhsi Township Mayor Chen Chen-chung, county councilors and county government department directors.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:28 PM

is the architect western by any chance? i hope...i hope...i hope...i hope...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
is the architect western by any chance? i hope...i hope...i hope...i hope...
no, it's c y lee
..kidding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan