HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:23 PM

Nice pic of the guideway (that's looking east down Como Lake Road):

http://www.thenownews.com/sports/bur...bours-1.920819

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:11 PM

^ I'll just go ahead and state the obvious: the gentleman in the photo already lives in a high-rise, either the 13 or 19 storey ones that are present beside the proposed site. What's going to get built is a higher high-rise; a 26 storey job.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 26, 2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Thought I'd share a little tidbit of history that I managed to get as a souvenir. The following plans were from an unnamed bidder who was outbid for the Evergreen Line, i.e. this is NOT what's under construction right now. Perhaps in an alternate reality this is what they're building...?

Alternate universe Lougheed Station:

Polar-shifted Lougheed to Burquitlam section:

Ioco Station in the 12th Dimension:

Captain-Kirk-didn't-save-the-whales Coquitlam to Douglas section:

That was the Kiewit bid, thank God they were disqualified early.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
^ I'll just go ahead and state the obvious: the gentleman in the photo already lives in a high-rise, either the 13 or 19 storey ones that are present beside the proposed site. What's going to get build is a higher high-rise; a 26 storey job.
Not all NIMBYs live in SFHs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 11:54 PM

Article on VancityBuzz about the TBM: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/03/p...oring-machine/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:31 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
^ I'll just go ahead and state the obvious: the gentleman in the photo already lives in a high-rise, either the 13 or 19 storey ones that are present beside the proposed site. What's going to get built is a higher high-rise; a 26 storey job.
The issue here is NO DIFFERENT than what happened to the Exchange Tower vs the Jaimeson residents.

In most places of the globe, if you buy a condo unit that is facing another property rather than the street, there will always be the possibility that the property can be re-developed into another high rise that will block your view. That is why I personally would only buy condo units facing the street (even if the property across the street gets developed, there is still ample space for a healthy gap).

Only in Metro Vancouver that I see condo dwellers complaining about how adjacent private properties be developed and how it would affect *their* views. The whole notion is silly and wreaks of self entitlement and NIMBYism. Unfortunately, in the case of the Exchange, the NIMBY Jaimeson residents won and this resulted in one of the ugliest office buildings I've ever seen now being built (instead of the architecturally stunning original).

It remains to be seen if residents of that Burquitlam highrise will receive any special treatment. The precedence is there, and if Beedie wins, it will be very interesting....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 3:42 AM

Here's the link to the proposal if anyone's interested. Looks pretty good IMO: http://www.brookpooni.com/pdf/1397%2...2014-01-24.pdf

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:29 PM

^ Based on the materials on those display boards, the guy in the photo must live in the taller of the two towers, the 19 storey one. Also, the Burquitlam SkyTrain station is conveniently hidden by the guy's right shoulder. He's going to be a gruff gus when he discovers that Beedie Living is just the first to market in the Burquitlam Station precinct; there will be plenty more coming soon. I guess technically the guy's home is actually part of the first high-rise development to market in the station area, and I'm sure his single family home neighbours welcomed his tower with open arms, but that's just salt in the wound.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Seems like a case of high-rises for me but not for thee...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Seems like a case of high-rises for me but not for thee...
Are we surprised that he hasn't figured out that the new building will block some of the noise of the Skytrain rolling by every few minutes starting Summer 2016?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:59 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nice pic of the guideway (that's looking east down Como Lake Road):

http://www.thenownews.com/sports/bur...bours-1.920819
"He suggested the tower runs the risk of “destabilizing the community” and cited concerns around a loss of privacy, and the potential for a handful of mature trees being cut down." - Patrick Quail

wow I wonder what he had to say about the Skytrain station? oh wait that would raise property values .....

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:00 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
^ Based on the materials on those display boards, the guy in the photo must live in the taller of the two towers, the 19 storey one. Also, the Burquitlam SkyTrain station is conveniently hidden by the guy's right shoulder. He's going to be a gruff gus when he discovers that Beedie Living is just the first to market in the Burquitlam Station precinct; there will be plenty more coming soon. I guess technically the guy's home is actually part of the first high-rise development to market in the station area, and I'm sure his single family home neighbours welcomed his tower with open arms, but that's just salt in the wound.

Patrick Quail ... whata guy!

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:08 AM

Quote:
He's going to be a gruff gus when he discovers that Beedie Living is just the first to market in the Burquitlam Station precinct; there will be plenty more coming soon.
Actually Uptown by Bosa is already previewing.

http://bosaproperties.com/uptown/

The writing is on the wall.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:05 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

I think we are getting off topic now since the discussion is deviating from the Evergreen Line and towards specific developments. There is already an existing thread about the Uptown project in the Projects and Construction section of the forum....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 5:34 AM

Any information about the skytrain storage facility thats being built with this line?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
Any information about the skytrain storage facility thats being built with this line?
Not that I've seen, just that there will be two switches leading to/from it between Ioco station and Coquitlam Central station.

Speaking of switches, they are in the process of installing switch DC158 for the the Lougheed side platform.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Earliest post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
And this is what I gather from Appendix I - the potential track map for the line! This document is even older though (dated 2011) - it still have Cameron station, so I just put it in!

Note: VSF = Vehicle Storage Facility... it is actually just lots of parallel tracks

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Can somebody help me understand what the building to the east of the Edmonds yard is? Is that where they built the MKII cars as part of the M-Line right?

It appears to be an empty building today. Is it occupied? Owned by Translink? It would make sense to expand the yard there.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
I think we are getting off topic now since the discussion is deviating from the Evergreen Line and towards specific developments. ....
Yeah, that's why in my original post, I just posted the pic and didn't quote the article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Can somebody help me understand what the building to the east of the Edmonds yard is? Is that where they built the MKII cars as part of the M-Line right?

It appears to be an empty building today. Is it occupied? Owned by Translink? It would make sense to expand the yard there.
See discussion from last year in the general Metro Vancouver Transit Thread, here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...er#post6302787

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, that's why in my original post, I just posted the pic and didn't quote the article...

See discussion from last year in the general Metro Vancouver Transit Thread, here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...er#post6302787
Interesting, thanks. That link mentions it being used for the MkI refurbish, but I'm pretty sure after riding by a number of times, that absolutely nothing is going on in that building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure