HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is there a list of which stations are 40m vs 50m? I ride the line a lot and every station seems to have extra room.
Just going off of memory, I think it's just Richmond-Brighouse and the downtown stations. Maybe Broadway too. I regularly only travel between 4 stations (Aberdeen-Langara) so I can't say for sure. But those ones definitely aren't 50m.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 6:30 PM

I think the three tail stations and the two deep downtown stations are at 50 m, the rest are at 40 m with pre-built allowances for adding 10 m.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:09 PM
Make America Great Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I think the three tail stations and the two deep downtown stations are at 50 m, the rest are at 40 m with pre-built allowances for adding 10 m.
Broadway is also 50m

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
An interesting observation is the Scarborough RT is one of the few such systems where for "safety reasons", "public perception" and political pressure from the union they operate the system using train operators.
train operator checks mirrors to make sure nobody is stuck in the doors, observes 'doors are closed' light and pushes a button to tell computer 'OK to Go'.

When was the last time you took an elevator with an elevator operator who did the same procedure?

Translink can get all the Scarborough RT parts & inventory quite cheap when they start to dismantle it and use these as spare parts &tc for the tracks maintenance and Mark I fleet maintenance.

They could also get the full Scarborough RT train fleet & put them through the same mid-life refurbishment that is being done to the current Skytrain Mark I cars. They will still be 30+ year-old cars with a facelift to keep them running for another 20 years, but it would be cheaper than buying all-new Mark III or Mark IV cars.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Broadway is also 50m
Actually Broadway is only 40 meters now, Olympic Village is 50 though (Broadway and Bridgeport should have been opened at the full 50).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:01 PM
Make America Great Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Actually Broadway is only 40 meters now, Olympic Village is 50 though (Broadway and Bridgeport should have been opened at the full 50).
That's not what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
STATIONS

Stations are proposed to be built in two stages: 16 stations will be built for the line's projected opening prior to the 2010 Winter Olympics, with up to three additional stations being added after the line opens. Stations platforms will range from 40 and 50 metres in length. Stations that are 40 metres are expandable to 50 metres. The proposed stations are listed below.

Vancouver
- Waterfront (connection to Expo and Millennium Lines, West Coast Express and SeaBus) - 50 metres
- Vancouver City Centre (Granville Street at Robson Street) - 50 metres
- Yaletown-Roundhouse (Davie Street near Mainland Street) - 40 metres
- Olympic Village (Vancouver 2010 Olympic Village, SouthEast False Creek, Granville Island) - 40 metres
- Broadway-City Hall (Cambie Street at West Broadway) - 50 metres
- King Edward (Cambie Street at King Edward Avenue) - 40 metres
- Oakridge-41st Avenue (Cambie Street at West 41st Avenue, next to Oakridge Centre) - 50 metres
- Langara-49th Avenue (Cambie Street at West 49th Avenue) - 40 metres
- Marine Drive (Cambie Street at Southwest Marine Drive) - 40 metres

Richmond
- Bridgeport (north of Bridgeport Road in Richmond; major transit exchange for suburban buses; new 1,000 car park and ride; link to Airport branch) - 40 metres
- Aberdeen (No. 3 Road at Cambie Road) - 40 metres
- Lansdowne (No. 3 Road at Lansdowne Road; 2-3 blocks away from the Richmond Olympic Oval speed skating venue) - 40 metres
- Richmond-Brighouse (No. 3 Road at Cook Road, adjacent to the Richmond Centre shopping mall) - 50 metres

Vancouver International Airport
- Templeton (to be located north of Grant McConachie Way, near Templeton Street) - 40 metres
- Sea Island Centre (to be located on Grant McConachie Way, near the Air Canada service centre) - 40 metres
- YVR-Airport Terminal (adjacent to the main terminal of Vancouver International Airport) - 50 metres

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:24 PM

^^ Regardless of that quote from before construction, it is pretty obvious that Oakridge-41 is only 40 m. Like the other stations near it, you can see where the roughed-in 10 m extension has been enclosed with cinderblocks. I think Broadway is the same as Oakridge.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
^^ Regardless of that quote from before construction, it is pretty obvious that Oakridge-41 is only 40 m. Like the other stations near it, you can see where the roughed-in 10 m extension has been enclosed with cinderblocks. I think Broadway is the same as Oakridge.
and when you remove the false wall?
*presto* you now have a 50 M long platform.

Its cheaper to tear down a false wall in a few decades than doing more cut & cover to add 10 M or so to an existing station.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Compare the bulk (strength, earthquake resistance) of that "modern" offset support with the old Expo Line one east of Main Street.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcoolman View Post
Your taking it out of context. The RT guideway is unable to accommodate anything but MK I cars. Bombardier is unable to make MK I cars anymore. In addition this move would eliminate the transfer required at Kennedy station. All in all I support the move to a homogenous subway extension.
The "homogenous subway" in Toronto doesn't exist if you include the new Eglinton, Sheppard and Finch Crosstown LRT systems that are being built right now (and Eglinton has 10 KMs of tunnels).

Its cheaper to rebuild the deficient portions of Scarborough RT and connect it to the new Eglinton LRT instead of building a completely new subway extension (with less than half of the stations as RT has right now). Kennedy would still be the interchange station between LRT and Subway, as it has been since it opened.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Its cheaper to rebuild the deficient portions of Scarborough RT and connect it to the new Eglinton LRT instead of building a completely new subway extension (with less than half of the stations as RT has right now). Kennedy would still be the interchange station between LRT and Subway, as it has been since it opened.
In the LRT plan, the tracks are physically connected, but the lines will operate independently as Eglinton and Scarborough, as there is concern that the at-grade portion of Eglinton line will make the Scarborough section unreliable and reduce its capacity.

And.. this is going way off topic...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:25 AM

so....

Hows the new Evergreen Tunnel progressing?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:54 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Welcome back, Metro!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
so....

Hows the new Evergreen Tunnel progressing?
You can't even see the TBM anymore!!

http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

Learn more about the TBM, Alice, here:

http://tranbc.ca/2014/03/26/the-ever...-a-boring-job/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Broadway is also 50m
Waterfront
Vancouver City
Yaletown
Oly village
Brighouse
YVR

These are all 50m and the rest are at 40m. The 40m underground stations have knock out panels to make to 50m. The other above ground can also be expanded to 50m ( or more, I suppose).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Compare the bulk (strength, earthquake resistance) of that "modern" offset support with the old Expo Line one east of Main Street.
I think the extra bulk of these pillars is to counteract the horizontal (lateral?) movement of the track as the trains run through the curve.

And also perhaps the extra weight of the steel beams (even though they are supposed to be hollow) that will have the concrete trackbeds on top of them.

I'm also noticing that it doesn't appear that these tracks are going to banked to minimize the noise of the wheel squeeling while going through the curve.
This could be quite noticeable at White Spot as trains fly overhead.

Last edited by jsbertram; Apr 2, 2014 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
You can't even see the TBM anymore!!

http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

Learn more about the TBM, Alice, here:

http://tranbc.ca/2014/03/26/the-ever...-a-boring-job/
Dirt coming out & tunnel rings going in.
Sounds like we'll be done before Seattle.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:57 PM

^ Quite likely. Our neighbours to the south have sure been having a rough go of it with their giant TBM. Even the University Link LRT extension isn't exactly a model of efficiency: a two station, 5.5km long twin-bored tunnel extension from downtown to the University of Washington with a price tag of $1.9B USD. They absolutely need it, and it will easily double the Central Link LRT system's ridership numbers, but wow; an expensive extension. It's been under construction since 2009 and won't open for revenue service until 2016.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Welcome back, Metro!
Haha, I think you are the only one who noticed I was gone! Thank you! My first major post in the weather section where I made all my own graphs already went completely unnoticed, so nothing has changed! haha! I actually feel the same will happen to Klazu, he always posts rad Metro-Vancouver updates in the Canada section but if he gets any comments it will only be from a fellow metro-Vancouverite. Awesome pic of the crazy suburban skyline of Metrotown with beautiful mountains in the background, no comments, tiny grainy pic found off the internet of Hamilton, people jizz their pants. hehe. Sorry, going on a rant...

Loving all the Evergreen Line updates everyone! Been watching them closely here on the other side of the world. It is nice that Metro-Vancouver has at least one big city elevated structure aspect to it, go skytrain!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:54 AM

^ Good to have you back!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure