HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 5:20 PM

This is my favorite of all the supertalls proposed in Midtown. It just has that iconic feel that imo the other proposed supertalls do not have. Plus, its very New York.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i was just reading that. cuoz laid it out pretty well. looks like penson and argent are going to get screwed here. but bring out a tiny violin, even if a big chunk of midtown is rezoned eventually, they can still sell those grand central air rights elsewhere.
They're not really getting screwed. They could undercut the city by selling air rights cheaper. And even the amount of air rights the city could sell is limited. There are only so many transit improvements that can be made. The other landmarks in the neighborhood will be able to transfer air rights also. But the city is looking in the city's interests. They're not only there to make sure wealthy owners get top dollar for what they want to sell.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Saw this mentioned in one of those articles, and couldn't confirm it until now, but yes, there has been another height jump. Don't know the exact height of the spire, but we'll stick with the 100 ft standard for now...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Some testimony and concern over the observation deck from the hearing (MAS)...

Rough estimates of what I would change about the top, the spire could be worked on...I would prefer a move in the direction on the left...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

An observation deck? Wow... this keeps on getting better.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:59 PM

Too bad they couldn't add four feet of fake roof to reach 1400 feet.

Still, this is an impressive tower in arguably one of the best spots in the city. As for it's design, it's not incredible but I think it's pretty good. The revised fitness ratio (i.e. height to width) looks far better than the original shorter, wider version they had going.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

After seeing the impact that 432 Park Ave has, anything near 1,400 feet wins my approval. Definitely not complaining. With this design, this will be a all star at that height, plus its bulkier too.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 9:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Too bad they couldn't add four feet of fake roof to reach 1400 feet.

Still, this is an impressive tower in arguably one of the best spots in the city. As for it's design, it's not incredible but I think it's pretty good. The revised fitness ratio (i.e. height to width) looks far better than the original shorter, wider version they had going.
Keep in mind it's still a work in progress, and the height can still be adjusted either up or down. Think of the work they've done on 30 Hudson so far, with multiple adjustments in height, the last two being upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
An observation deck? Wow... this keeps on getting better.

The observation deck isn't new, and is one of the things I'm looking forward to most with this tower. It will serve as both observation deck, and event space after hours.

What the change in height does is bring more into question which will have the higher observation space - the Freedom Tower or 1 Vanderbilt? As far as we know, the WTC will have the highest deck in the city. But there are a lot of details about 1 Vanderbilt that have not been revealed.

Some earlier sketching of public space at the top...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's crazy, their current top is way better than just carving the sides into a straight line. I still don't get all the disgust, its going to turn out beautifully.

So glad about the height increase, this is going to be great.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 10:18 PM

^EXACTLY! It's beautiful and unique. No need to make it straight lined and boring. Please

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
That's crazy, their current top is way better than just carving the sides into a straight line. I still don't get all the disgust, its going to turn out beautifully.

So glad about the height increase, this is going to be great.
Agreed. I like the top, but the one thing that would make it better would for it to be stretched out a little, and with this height increase that should help.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Oh, how you miss the point completely. It's not about "carving the sides into a straight line." It's about making the top of the building more substantial

The top as is does not fit the tower below. It's like the top to a completely different tower. However, extending the towers design throughout would present a much more unified design, and as such, much more pleasing to the eye.

In fact, I'd much rather they cut that top section off than see it built as is.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:35 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/10/...-improvements/

SL Green details One Vanderbilt transit improvements
Public transit hall at base of tower, better LIRR connections among key components of plan

October 15, 2014
By Rich Bockmann

Quote:
SL Green Realty, which has pledged more than $200 million to address a cobweb of transit connections around Grand Central Terminal, gave a detailed account of those plans yesterday to the Midtown East task force considering a rezoning that would pave the way for the developer’s proposed One Vanderbilt office tower.

Those improvements include better links for Long Island Rail Road passengers who will arrive at the hub when East Side Access is complete in 2023 and a public transit hall at the base of the 1.6-million square-foot office tower that will feature a train schedule board.

But the lion’s share of the funds will go into overhauling the Lexington Avenue/42nd Street subway station, where the 4,5,6 and 7 lines intersect, and where limited space requires demolition and construction work to be carried out by hand.

Representatives from the developer gave a presentation yesterday to the East Midtown Task Force, one of the groups weighing in on the city’s proposal to rezone the area for greater office density.

As it is now, Grand Central is a tangled mess with indirect routes among transit links – one that will only get more congested when Metro North and Long Island Rail Road passengers have to cross paths.

Instead, SL Green is proposing improvements that would provide passengers with separate and direct routes to the street and subway. Along with upgrades to the crosstown shuttle, an outdoor public plaza and the transit hall at the base of the tower, the developer has set aside about $71 million to improve transit link that circulate under One Vanderbilt’s footprint.

The remaining funds, about two thirds of the total, will go toward improving access and circulation to the Lexington Avenue station.

Plans there call for a better flow between the mezzanine and platform levels, creating connections to the Hyatt Hotel and relocating stairs and various mechanical components. Because space is limited, however, construction and demolition will have to be done by hand, making the subway improvements the costliest part of the proposal.

Community members early last month pushed the developer for a more detailed explanation of how it arrived at the $210 million figure, and after yesterdays meeting the seemed pleased with the comprehensive report.

“There is still much to consider, as we continue to evaluate this proposal, but we are deeply appreciative of the good working relationship SL Green has now worked to establish with the task force and CB5,” Community Board Chair Vikki Barbero said in a statement. “Hopefully this will be a model for other major development projects in the City in the future.”

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...o-4-5-6-trains

ANDREW J. HAWKINS
OCTOBER 15, 2014

Quote:
The plan for the developer's new spire, called 1 Vanderbilt, must go through the city's labyrinthine land-use process known as ULURP, which began last month and will run to March 2015. Demolition of buildings on the tower site will conclude in the second quarter of 2016, and excavation and the laying of the foundation are expected to finish by 2017.

Community board members who have called for detailed information on the transit improvements sounded mollified by the presentation.

"At our last meeting, we asked SL Green for specifics and transparency regarding the estimated costs of the public improvements," said Vikki Barbero, chairwoman of the community board and a member of the East Midtown Task Force, in a statement provided by SL Green. "Today, they came through with a detailed report and an in-person meeting with the leadership of SL Green, during which they attentively answered every question we posed. There is still much to consider, as we continue to evaluate this proposal, but we are deeply appreciative of the good working relationship SL Green has now worked to establish with the task force and CB5. Hopefully this will be a model for other major development projects in the city in the future."
Quote:
Meanwhile, the Department of City Planning sent a letter to the chairwoman of the East Midtown Multi-Board Taskforce refuting many of the claims made by Andrew Penson, the owner of Grand Central, who has been laboring to undercut SL Green's arrangement with the city. The new zoning that the city would grant SL Green would allow the developer to construct its tower without having to purchase air rights from Mr. Penson. In September, Mr. Penson offered to purchase the block where SL Green plans to build 1 Vanderbilt and build the tower himself.

In the letter to Lola Finkelstein, the multi-board task force's chairwoman, City Planning's Manhattan director, Edith Hsu-Chen, asserted that Mr. Penson's offer "contains many erroneous assumptions and assertions" regarding the sale of air rights in the zoning proposal for 1 Vanderbilt.

"What [Mr. Penson's firm] Midtown Trackage is really suggesting is that there should be no alternative for a developer to obtain greater density in the Grand Central area other than a purchase of development rights—at whatever the cost—from Midtown Trackage itself," she wrote. "This would be a radical departure from long-established zoning policy which has provided developers with a variety of avenues to achieve greater bulk, including but not limited to as-of-right bonuses, purchase of air rights, zoning lot mergers, and special permits."

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

Almost looks like San Frans Trans America Tower from that angle.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Almost looks like San Frans Trans America Tower from that angle.
I always thought it did. Now compare the clumsiness of the earlier render with this one...

Given the change in oreintation, it still comes of better than a tower giving the city a stumpy "finger"...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:15 AM
BANNED

They should begin the overhaul of the subway station right away since its going pretty going to approved at this point. I can only imagine those contractors working slowly on to push the completion date years behind the original estimate, sadly.(aka "cost overruns" or "unforeseen delays")

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:47 AM

It does kind of look like the Transamerica Tower. I think that's a good thing though, with those sloping sides creating a pyramid like shape. I told you this tower is unique, you will like it in no time flat.

The renders they've been putting out so far have been a little deceptive.

Good to hear about all of the transit improvements! Although Grand Central Station is probably in need of bigger fixes, I'm sure this will be highly welcome.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 5:20 AM

Quote:
I always thought it did. Now compare the clumsiness of the earlier render with this one...

Given the change in oreintation, it still comes of better than a tower giving the city a stumpy "finger"...

This is quite the improvement. I am pleasantly surprised to see how much more verticality the building has overall. Excellent.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 8:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
This is quite the improvement. I am pleasantly surprised to see how much more verticality the building has overall. Excellent.
Let's hope it keeps moving in that direction. It's basically the height of 432 Park minus the spire. That gives us an idea of how tall it'll be.

As currently planned, and as far as we know, it'll be the highest (to roof) office tower in the city.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:28 AM
~

Quote:

It's the same design. Just a different point of view.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive