HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 9:21 PM
Content provider

places like Oak Park have given up fighting the EAB and are replacing ashes wholesale now

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 10:02 PM

Swedish Covenant @ Foster & California

Taken 15 Minutes ago

Meh.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
The City

^ I'll take it over a parking lot, but what a dull design. It already looks 15 years old

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 10:29 PM

I'm not a fan of out-of-context renders like this, but the top floor is interesting: Supposedly it will be some kind of restaurant or dining space.

http://www.exploreivy.com/

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...otel_Aims_High

So Small, So Luxurious, So Green: Chicago’s New Ivy Hotel Aims High
February 23, 2012

... set to open in April ...

... “There is no one else in the city who will be so small and so luxurious,” said the hotel’s Managing Director and family rep, James Cazares. A big claim, but we're ready to play along; especially the way they’re selling it. Picture a modern high-rise spanning 15 stories with only five rooms per floor—the majority of which will be suites (52 out of 63, to be exact)—plus espresso machines, mirror TVs, and sea salt soaking tubs. ...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'll take it over a parking lot, but what a dull design. It already looks 15 years old
Completely agree. Those teal panels remind me of that nasty medical office building by Old Orchard. This one looked much better in renderings.

Last edited by Buckman821; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 11:26 PM

A curbed article about Randolph Tower. I like how this one is turning out.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...216d5ffa0297f8

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 3:33 AM

It turned out very nice. When they say "studio"....wow, a very generous looking studio.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:44 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
A curbed article about Randolph Tower. I like how this one is turning out.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...216d5ffa0297f8
I wonder where they are sourcing the terra cotta replacement panels from?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
I wonder where they are sourcing the terra cotta replacement panels from?
I would have to imagine either Boston Valley or Gladding McBean.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:55 PM
TL;DR

Too bad there are no local outfits to do that work. These guys out in Crystal Lake provided terra cotta for virtually all the buildings in the Loop and the rest of the Midwest (which was the impetus for Crystal Lake's founding).

Now they only do steel work, and not even for architectural use.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Too bad there are no local outfits to do that work. These guys out in Crystal Lake provided terra cotta for virtually all the buildings in the Loop and the rest of the Midwest (which was the impetus for Crystal Lake's founding).

Now they only do steel work, and not even for architectural use.
Gladding McBean and Boston Valley are really the only ones left that still make terra-cotta on any kind of a scale, at least for replicating more historical looks. I may be missing someone, but these are the ones that are always specified and I've yet to find another company out there that matches them in scale.

There are other rainscreen companies out there that are using it, like Pohl, but more as a rainscreen application than an historical type of thing, and it looks like they're using it as a minority component in their systems. The stuff is just really expensive by comparison to other exterior cladding materials.

There are also some smaller, more boutique-ish kind of companies doing things on a much smaller scale, but more usually for finishes like tile or random accent pieces here or there, or that have specialized into fireplace and chimney components.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
TL;DR

^^ Yeah, that's been my sense. I've worked with Pohl before, but for stainless steel. I've always wanted to spec terra cotta, but it hasn't made sense yet.

--------

Various sources are reporting that the city has lined up the remaining $9 million in the budget for Phase I of the Bloomingdale Trail, so all systems are go for construction starting in Spring 2013.

$5 million comes from Exelon, $1 million each from Boeing and CNA, and $2 million from the Park District budget. That $2M is the only direct contribution from Chicago taxpayers. Well done, Rahm. The first phase will include necessary structural repairs to the viaducts, plus landscaping, paving, and furnishings for the trail itself as well as basic access ramps in 8 pocket parks. Future rounds of funding will allow the access points to become valuable public spaces in their own right.

I haven't found the presentation from the Framework Plan online yet. Anybody know where I can find it?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:09 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4956675.story

Tide is about to turn on Chicago's harbor space shortage

... When it opens in May, the harbor will have room for 1,000 boats, instantly increasing the number of slips and moorings available in Chicago by 20 percent. ...

Among its amenities is an underground garage with space for 217 cars in the summer and 78,000 square feet for winter boat storage, the first such harbor facility in the Midwest. ...

The 31st Street Harbor will allow Chicago to host what is expected to be the Midwest's largest "in-water" boat show from June 7-10. ...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:53 AM
TL;DR

The harbor looks neat. I like the idea of "burying" parking in a precast structure, since no acreage of green space is lost but there's still no "real" costly underground construction. Plus, the harbor project removes one more grade crossing from the Lakefront Path.

The original plans also included a restaurant space at the Marina, which if built would have amazing views because of its elevation on the parking deck. Hopefully this has not been cut from the plan.

source

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Plus, the harbor project removes one more grade crossing from the Lakefront Path.
When you say that it removes one more grade crossing, what do you mean. Is it easier for south side residents to get to the waterfront? I remember BK talking about that a while back.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
When you say that it removes one more grade crossing, what do you mean. It is easier for south side residents to get to the waterfront. I remember BK talking[/ about that a while back.
They don't intersect but cross-over one another.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:29 AM

Coming from Wilmette, a 5 year wait for a big boat ain't that bad. In Wilmette, the wait for a 35 footer can be 35-40 years according to this (just for reference). I know a family that got on the list when their kid was born and only came up to get a 22 foot slip after the kid was out of college. Still, demand in the city is also adequate and this should add to the economy, but another harbor on the northside (if it could be squeezed in) probably would have been a better idea.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:42 AM
TL;DR

Couple news bits:

Remember Madison West 645? The developers are now interested in switching to residential, either completely or as part of a mixed-use scheme.

Also, Studio Gang's boathouse for Bridgeport looks awesome. I believe IIT students will be building these, which lessens the chance of the design being value-engineered. No renderings yet, so maybe it's not the best time for this to go up on Curbed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
places like Oak Park have given up fighting the EAB and are replacing ashes wholesale now
Really, the only defense against any invasive species is diversification. I still see so many new developments or streetscapes lined with one variety. Drives me mad.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Couple news bits:

Remember Madison West 645? The developers are now interested in switching to residential, either completely or as part of a mixed-use scheme.

Also, Studio Gang's boathouse for Bridgeport looks awesome. I believe IIT students will be building these, which lessens the chance of the design being value-engineered. No renderings yet, so maybe it's not the best time for this to go up on Curbed.

I'd be interested to know how they proposed to pull this off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development