HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:45 PM
BANNED

More info:

Quote:
European-styled cafe to maintain Red Mile spirit of Melrose
By Gwendolyn Richards, Calgary Herald May 2, 2014 7:36 AM

A space once populated by hockey fans downing burgers and beer will bring a sense of European cafe life to the once-monikered Red Mile as a new concept bakehouse takes over the space left vacant by Melrose Cafe and Bar.

The creation of the brothers behind Fratello Coffee Roasters and Analog Coffee, the new establishment will serve freshly baked bread and pastries, gourmet sandwiches and other baked goods throughout the day from the iconic spot on 17th Avenue S.W.

“It is a brand new (concept) to Calgary, for sure, if not Canada,” said Russ Prefontaine, who is opening Corbeaux Bakehouse with his brother, Chris.

The original plan to bring the experience of a cool neighbourhood bakery to 17th Avenue shifted when they found a spot in the vacated Melrose, which abruptly shut its doors earlier this year.

Given the large space and location — not to mention the legacy of the bar that had been the epicentre of the Flames’ 2004 run for the Stanley Cup — the brothers realized their idea for a world-class bakery would need to be expanded. Corbeaux Bakehouse — French for ravens — will be more akin to a cafe in France or Italy, a spot that transitions throughout the day, with sit-down or take-away coffee and pastries in the morning, sandwiches on artisan bread made in house for lunch and desserts for an after-dinner stop.

“You’re not just buying a loaf of bread for your kitchen,” said Russ.

The concept is one award-winning U.S. chef Keith Luce had also been toying with. When he was connected with the brothers through a hospitality industry recruiter, the trio discovered they had essentially written the same business plan for an establishment that would bring European cafe culture to North America.

“There isn’t a cafe culture (here),” said Luce. “Fast food has filled that niche.”

He added it would have been a disservice to put in a more straightforward bakery into the space, given Melrose’s history and the response when it shut down.

“That space already has a soul. To close as a traditional bakery (at an earlier hour) doesn’t make any sense,” he said. “There’s a need in the community for what we want to do. It was dictated by that; it wasn’t a choice.”

Luce, who worked for four years as chef at the White House during the Clinton administration and has opened numerous restaurants around the U.S., has earned numerous awards and accolades, including having Spruce, his first restaurant, named best in the U.S. and being named best chef by Food and Wine magazine. He said he was looking for a simpler concept where he could collaborate with other chefs — a pastry chef and head baker will also be part of Corbeaux’s kitchen.

The bakehouse takes over the restaurant portion of Melrose, along with the expansive patio; the remaining third, which served as the bar area, will go to another tenant.

It is set to open this fall.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Eu...919/story.html

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:49 PM
not a NIMBY

Do we have a konditorei type of place in Calgary?

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:49 PM

Keith Luce will be Head Chef and has a pretty impressive resume. Sous chef for Clinton at the White House, worked at Michelin starred restaurants in France and Italy and at the Rainbow Room and Le Cirque in New York.

James Beard award for Rising Star Chef 1998, Food and Wine Top 10 chef 1997, guest judge on Top Chef. Looking forward to Corbeaux.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 9:26 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Do we have a konditorei type of place in Calgary?
We do not.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 1:04 AM

When I think of european coffee house, I think of this.

Something tells me it won't be that!

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 4:54 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
When I think of european coffee house, I think of this.
Overrun with tourists, ladies lunching and horrible coffee- I guarantee. We don't want this. If you do, head to the Palliser for high tea- same thing.

This is a European coffeehouse, and we have even better examples of this sort of thing in Calgary (this is Coffee Collective in Copenhagen):

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Overrun with tourists, ladies lunching and horrible coffee- I guarantee.
So clearly you have never been to there then? It's the Alexandra coffee house in Budapest. It has some of the best coffee I've ever had, as well a fantastic cakes and other desserts.

Budapest in general has some amazing cafes. But it's "old world" coffee culture, that's similar to what you get in Vienna. You might not get the contemporary design vibe you prefer, but don't confuse old with dowdy. The coffee is fantastic, and the atmosphere just as nice...especially when that piano is going. And you're definitely not going to get coffee in a paper cup.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 4:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
So clearly you have never been to there then? It's the Alexandra coffee house in Budapest. It has some of the best coffee I've ever had, as well a fantastic cakes and other desserts.

Budapest in general has some amazing cafes. But it's "old world" coffee culture, that's similar to what you get in Vienna. You might not get the contemporary design vibe you prefer, but don't confuse old with dowdy. The coffee is fantastic, and the atmosphere just as nice...especially when that piano is going. And you're definitely not going to get coffee in a paper cup.
I've been to some famous coffeehouses like Zum Coffe Baum in Leipzig, the oldest coffeehouse in Germany and the second oldest in Europe (est 1694), and Tortoni in Buenos Aires. Amazing atmosphere; absolute shit coffee. Overroasted garbage and in the case of Tortoni the sort of overextracted espresso you would normally find in, say, the lobby of a bank while you're waiting to talk to an investment advisor.

Hungary does have a great coffee scene, or so my Hungarian friend who owns Kawa with her husband assures me.

As to paper cups- you can get coffee in porcelain and every decent coffeehouse. I don't get people sitting in Phil & Sebastian with to-go cups when coffee is so much better in porcelain (or glass). If a place has no porcelain, go someplace else.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 4:58 PM
of Canada

Quote:
I don't get people sitting in Phil & Sebastian with to-go cups when coffee is so much better in porcelain (or glass). If a place has no porcelain, go someplace else.
When Phil & Sebastian was at the Farmers Market I liked getting a cappuccino in a porcelain cup. Walk around with it while shopping and return it at the end. I miss seeing them there but Analog Cafe (is that what it's called?) is pretty good too. I don't think I've had a porcelain cup there though.

We went to LeVilla on Sirocco Dr. last night for my daughter's 18th birthday. Food was good. I was disappointed by the service though. I'm sure we had the same server that we had at the Calgary Tower last time we went there (and it wasn't great there either).

At the end of dinner I had a latte which I must say was disappointing. Best to leave something like that to the professionals I think.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I've been to some famous coffeehouses like Zum Coffe Baum in Leipzig, the oldest coffeehouse in Germany and the second oldest in Europe (est 1694), and Tortoni in Buenos Aires. Amazing atmosphere; absolute shit coffee. Overroasted garbage and in the case of Tortoni the sort of overextracted espresso you would normally find in, say, the lobby of a bank while you're waiting to talk to an investment advisor.

Hungary does have a great coffee scene, or so my Hungarian friend who owns Kawa with her husband assures me.

As to paper cups- you can get coffee in porcelain and every decent coffeehouse. I don't get people sitting in Phil & Sebastian with to-go cups when coffee is so much better in porcelain (or glass). If a place has no porcelain, go someplace else.
To be honest, I never found the coffee in Germany to be that great anywhere for some reason. Perhaps it's reflective of the society...good coffee needs a little passion/romance!

Budapest definitely has an established grand-coffeehouse scene that goes back to the 19th century, and the old Austro-Hungarian empire way of life. You go and have a coffee and torte/pastry, sit in your Thonet chair, and you take your time and enjoy it. There's no such thing as take-out, and often you don't even have the espresso-bar option. While I still kind of prefer the italian style "espresso that looks like motor oil, that you knock back at the bar" way, there's something very elegant about having a cup of coffee this way.

The best part, from an architecture standpoint, is that often times the places themselves are simply stunning (usually in a Secessionist style). So while you have a great coffee, you can enjoy the fantastic architecture too.

You should go there, I think you'd have a good time.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 11:58 PM

We tried Costa Vida in Southland Crossing the other day, and was pleasantly surprised. Its a chain no doubt, with now I think 3 locations in Alberta (Southland, Royal Oak and Airdrie) but its not bad in terms of quality. More authentic mexican style food than most places, good sized portions and decent prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see them open quite a few locations, they are all over the western USA from what their website lists. A few growing pains I noticed, they have advertising all over the store about the online ordering but its not actually available here (or in many US states either) yet.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 3:01 PM
not a NIMBY

Basha Foods is a great place to buy Indian and middle Eastern specialities.
It is housed in a former Office Depot and has deli, halal butcher, produce, and all sorts of interesting products from around the world and Canada.
2717 Sunridge Way NE

Basha Foods by LUMIN8, on Flickr

bashafoods.ca

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 9:21 PM
YIMBY

Another rooftop patio is proposed for Voodoo Lounge on 16th Ave NW (DP is posted), could be interesting given it's directly on 16th.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 9:42 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but I've heard that Artigiano is opening up another location in the Watermark building. I'm guessing they're taking over the existing coffee place there.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 9:44 PM
ARTchitecture

I don't remember what's happening with Melrose... is it becoming a market or something?

Edit: Ooops, should have checked the first post on this page

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 9:48 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but I've heard that Artigiano is opening up another location in the Watermark building. I'm guessing they're taking over the existing coffee place there.
The signage has been up for quite a while (saying opening spring 2014), I haven't seen any progress though. They are going in at the top of the escalators immediately adjacent to the +15 entrance to Holt Renfrew across (east) from the sub & medical places.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
The signage has been up for quite a while (saying opening spring 2014), I haven't seen any progress though. They are going in at the top of the escalators immediately adjacent to the +15 entrance to Holt Renfrew across (east) from the sub & medical places.
Awesome. Thanks for confirming that.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 10:55 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for confirming that.
It'll be good to have a good coffee place nearby, rather than tim hortons or starbucks....

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:29 AM
of Canada

Quote:
Definitely the Watermark tower. Right next to the Holt Renfrew enterance:

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 1:31 AM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
It'll be good to have a good coffee place nearby, rather than tim hortons or starbucks....
Theres a decent coffe shop across the street next to the Canon place in EAP. I can't remember what it's called though.

Cucina maybe?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation