HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 11:56 AM

PART ELEVEN: MARTYRS (REPRISE)

Dalton, Hoxton, Haggerston and Homerton: Say Hello to Voodoo Ray

Last edited by Bedhead; Dec 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 11:57 AM

XXXIX – Reginald Pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Such a great and varied thread. I am especially fond of the Brixton pics. By chance, could we expect some Dalston/Haggerston pics some day?
OK, I admit, it took me so long to keep my promise to do this tour KOTH come to London and did one himself, but I did get here eventually.

Today, the character of these neighbourhoods is contested by middle-class, hipster and working-class culture. As one resident of East London puts it:

"I went to a jumble sale in Hackney last week, walking around and hearing everyone talking, and thought – this isn’t the Hackney that I remember. It’s really changed. All those houses that were working houses, that had people who worked in shops – now they’re millionaires’ houses."

The millionaires are retuning to was was a weathy area a long time ago. In the 16th century Hackney was a sleepy stretch of countryside a mile or two to the north of London, dotted about with manor houses - only one of which now remains.

Down at Court in Westminster, though, things were a little more feisty, as the trouble life of Reginald Pole shows.

Educated at Oxford and Padua, Pole's learning and intelligence saw him sucked into the brutality of Tudor politics. It began when Henry VIII asked Pole to help him persuade the Pope to grant him a divorce. Pole, who strongly disapproved of the plan, danced around Henry's requests as best he could without compromising his beliefs. It was not easy - one meeting ended with Henry reaching for his dagger and Pole leaving the room in tears.

Finally, Henry's patience ran out. He declared Pole a traitor, hired assassins to kill him as he fled into exile, and executed his brother and mother.

Tudor politics rarely stayed still for long, though. Fifteen years after his mother's execution Pole was made Archbishop of Canterbury by Henry's Catholic daughter, Mary I.

'Bloody' Mary's reign was marked by the execution of more than 250 Protestants for their faith. Although Pole was not the driving force behind the persecutions his leading role in Mary's regime earned him the hatred of later generations of Protestants. Pole's successor as Archbishop of Canterbury, Matthew Parker, even denounced him as 'the Devil Incarnate'.

However, in one corner of Hackney, Reginald Pole - the academic and reluctant statesman - is memorialised, appropriately enough, by a school.

Last edited by Bedhead; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 11:58 AM

XXXX – Reginald Pole’s Mum

There were a lot of innocent victims of Henry VIII's tyrannical regime, but there can be few who were more innocent than Countess Margaret of Salisbury, the mother of Reginald Pole. When Henry finally decided that Pole's opposition to his divorce amounted to treachery, Margaret wrote to her son, reprimanding him for his views and pleading with him to support his King.

This was not enough to save her. With Pole in exile, Henry could only harm the Cardinal's family. Margaret was condemned by an Act of Parliament, without even being given a trial. According to one account of her execution, it was carried out by 'a wretched and blundering youth... who literally hacked her head and shoulders to pieces in the most pitiful manner.'

In 2006, a memorial was erected in the Tower of London commemorating people who had been executed in a yard in front of its Chapel Royal. The memorial comprises of a glass pillow - symbolic of the pillow that the head of the condemned person would rest on - that sits on a circular piece of glass. Around the edge of the glass is written the names of the Tower's victims, including Countess Margaret.

Last edited by Bedhead; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 11:59 AM

Dagenham: White Van Country

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 11:59 AM

XXXXI – Thomas Cranmer

There is a website called 'Overheard on the Underground' that records entertaining snatches of conversations overheard on London transport. One says:

"I've never been to Dagenham. I don't suppose I ever will. I don't feel ashamed about it."

Dagenham, unloved and unvisited on the eastern edge of London, was a village until the London County Council turned it into the largest council estate in Britain in the 1920s. The budget for this new town was not big, and the houses that were built in their thousands were small, poorly insulated and lacking much in the way of individuality or charm.

Half-hearted attempts to counter this drab uniformity usually invoked England's rural past - sometimes by hinting at an Arts and Crafts influence in the outlines of the buildings, sometimes by adding a bit of half-timbering to a pub, and sometimes by choosing a street name that recalled the pre-industrial history of Britain.

And this is why we find ourselves in Cranmer Gardens, Dagenham.

Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, the first Protestant Archbishop of Canterbury, burned at the stake in 1556 for heresy, had much in common with Reginald Pole, his Catholic adversary and successor as Archbishop.

During Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine of Aragon, Cranmer supported the King and Pole opposed him. Nonetheless, the two churchmen were able to respect each others' arguments. After reading one of Pole's essays on the divorce, Cranmer conceded:

'master Raynolde Poole hath written a book... with such wit... and of such eloquence, that if it were set forth and known to the common people, I suppose it were not possible to persuade them to the contrary'

Cranmer followed Henry in his split with the Catholic Church, but, like Pole, he could stand up to the King on a point of principle. When Henry tried to amend the tenth commandment by adding 'without due recompense' to 'thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife', Cranmer refused.

Pole, for his part, was prepared to risk his life to defend the Catholic Church, but he also put forward views that came very close to Lutheranism, which made one Pope condemn his 'accursed school and apostate household.'

Even when Cranmer was imprisoned for heresy under Mary I, the two men still tried to find common ground. Cranmer asked for a meeting with Pole as soon as the Cardinal returned to England - Pole declined but did correspond with Cranmer. Right up to the point when Cranmer was burned for heresy, Pole tried to convince him to repent. When it seemed that Cranmer was willing to change his mind, Pole promised that, even though Cranmer would still be executed, 'Masses would be said in all the churches of Oxford for the repose of his soul.'

In the end, though, the politics of the age tore these two mild-mannered scholars apart. As he was about to be burned at the stake, Cranmer embarked on the recantation that he had agreed with Pole, but he ended his speech with an unscripted and unambiguous act of defiance, saying:

"And now I come to the great thing which so much troubleth my conscience... the setting abroad of a writing contrary to the truth, which now here I renounce and refuse.... And forasmuch as my hand hath offended, writing contrary to my heart, therefore my hand shall first be punished; for when I come to the fire it shall first be burned.

"And as for the pope, I refuse him as Christ's enemy, and Antichrist, with all his false doctrine."

What awaited Cranmer was a fate far worse than a trip to Dagenham, but he faced it cheerfully, keeping his promise to burn his right hand first.

Last edited by Bedhead; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 12:00 PM

Wimbledon: Uncle Bulgaria Country

Last edited by Bedhead; Mar 31, 2015 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 12:04 PM

XXXXII – Bishop Latimer and Bishop Ridley

Leafy Wimbledon, the Hampstead of south London, seems a million miles away from the brutality of the Marian Reformation. But here two streets - Ridley Road and Latimer Road - run side by side, serving as an almost inaudible reminder of two bishops who were burned alive, side by side in Oxford in 1555, the year before Cranmer was executed.

Their execution produced one of the great gestures of defiance in English history; as the fire was lit, Bishop Latimer called out:

"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley and play the man; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."

The candle still burns quietly in a Victorian suburb of south west London.

Last edited by Bedhead; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
Red October standing by

great update as usual. i can't wait to get there at the end of the month.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 15, 2013, 6:41 PM

Wow, fantastic pictures of parts of London I've never seen. Interesting historical background, too. Hard to believe these men faced their fates so bravely and with such eloquence.

Just went back to the beginning of this thread and saw the whole thing. Spectacular thread, perhaps the best I've seen on this site. (Not that I've seen them all, by any means.) You could publish this. Your narrative is a fascinating read and your pictures are gorgeous. Can't wait for my trip to England next summer. You've given me a lot to think about seeing whilst in London. It'll be that much harder now to choose.

Last edited by FutureNorthEnder; Dec 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 3:29 AM

Thanks for the comments! FutureNorthEnder - thanks for taking the time to go through the whole thing! Hope you both have a great time in London - more to come next year, including LSyd's suggestion about John Lilburne.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 8:12 AM

Great thread, and massive respect for your effort! I thought about doing an ongoing London thread like this, but realised there are too many places I just can't be bothered to go to (like Dagenham) to effectively document this massive city. So full marks for covering a lot of ground!!!

Love Dalston/ Hoxton! Interesting there is a Latimer Road in SW18. I used to lie on Latimer road in W11!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:53 PM

Wow. This thread is incredible.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 10:43 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Simply amazing, Bedhead! Thanks for your shots from London.

Beautiful pictures and updates. I love the street paintings you´ve taken photos of.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Awesome thread. Half expect John Constantine to appear in one of these pics.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 6:03 AM
Paradise Island

It is nice to see this thread active again.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 1:14 PM
hemelschraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
It is nice to see this thread active again.
Amen.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:23 PM

Well, it's been longer than I expected, but here's the next instalment.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:24 PM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:24 PM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:25 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos