HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:00 AM
BANNED

Happy Earth Day, Canada!

Happy Earth Day!

Celebrate by watching this short movie, which lays out the relevant math quite well. The website '350.org' is a number representing the maximum safe level of carbon that should be contained in our atmosphere in order to prevent a pace of climate change that is too rapid for the planet's established ecologies to adapt: 350 parts per million.

Our atmosphere is currently at 395 ppm and climbing.

Movie: Do The Math

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:04 AM
The New Republic

Just playing devil's advocate, but you realize that Canada is one of 8-9 countries that are supposed to accrue a net benefit from climate change? From a purely selfish nationalist view point, climate change is a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:15 AM
I am a typical

I'm too busy poisoning my family to mine lithium for your electric car.

I'm too tired from eating nothing but Doritos because my Peruvian family can't afford Quinoa anymore.

Corn doesn't have pesticides on it because it has been genetically engineered to be an antibiotic.

CO2 isn't everything.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Just playing devil's advocate, but you realize that Canada is one of 8-9 countries that are supposed to accrue a net benefit from climate change? From a purely selfish nationalist view point, climate change is a good thing.
The economy is globalised. The idea that any nation will ' net benefit' is a total fiction.

I certainly hope you're open minded enough to watch the movie. Instead of people being the devil's advocate and suggesting disgusting attitudes Canadians could selfishly take -- we should try to find arguments against the claims in the movie 'Do The Math'.

If we cannot argue against the movie's claims, it could possibly mean that our previous conclusions about climate change are wrong.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I'm too busy poisoning my family to mine lithium for your electric car.

I'm too tired from eating nothing but Doritos because my Peruvian family can't afford Quinoa anymore.

Corn doesn't have pesticides on it because it has been genetically engineered to be an antibiotic.

CO2 isn't everything.
The movie isn't going to cover every topic of pollution. It covers carbon because carbon is going to have the biggest impact on our ecologies -- and therefore, our economy.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:57 AM
I am a typical

I already understand stuff that the movie and 350.org are explaining, my point is that there is more to global health than just carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. There is a lot that is affecting the health of the planet and letting the carbon dioxide issue obscure them isn't good.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I already understand stuff that the movie and 350.org are explaining, my point is that there is more to global health than just carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. There is a lot that is affecting the health of the planet and letting the carbon dioxide issue obscure them isn't good.
You don't seem to be arguing against the "stuff" in the movie.

If you wish to begin a thread about other pollutants that have a less significant impact to the globe's ecologies, please feel free. I'll gladly contribute to it.

I have never met an environmentalist that was only concerned about carbon dioxide (and the other greenhouse gases). I disagree the other issues are being obscured. Environmentalists are addressing the most severe issues, especially since the issues are growing in their magnitude of potential harm as we aren't transitioning to green energy sources quickly enough.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:23 AM
Fake News

The House of Commons voted down the NDP motion to stop FIPA. Happy earth day.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:15 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
You don't seem to be arguing against the "stuff" in the movie.
That's because I'm not. I'm trying to remind people that there is more to environmentalism than hating gas engines and coal plants.

Quote:
If you wish to begin a thread about other pollutants that have a less significant impact to the globe's ecologies, please feel free. I'll gladly contribute to it.
You titled this thread as "Happy Earth Day", so I assumed the topic would be more broad than a specific movie. I'm sorry I let your deceptive title deceive me.

Quote:
I have never met an environmentalist that was only concerned about carbon dioxide (and the other greenhouse gases). I disagree the other issues are being obscured. Environmentalists are addressing the most severe issues, especially since the issues are growing in their magnitude of potential harm as we aren't transitioning to green energy sources quickly enough.
I've met people who aren't environmentalists. Guess what they think environmentalists are? There are too few major names behind the campaign against CO2 that we've been put into an us-or-them struggle situation which is a really bad place for a progressive campaign to be. We're dealing with a hijacking similar to what PETA did for veganism and animal rights. The entire movement has been pulled into the absurd and large numbers of people who wouldn't otherwise do so are ignoring it.

I think part of the issue is that, we've got the "world first" crowd on board. We need to woo the "me first" crowd. A bike lane shouldn't be advertised as a great alternative because it is "good for the planet"; we should be touting the physical benefits and cost savings of cycling instead. The "good for the planet" part will then come naturally. Humans are selfish, that's why they're opposing environmentalism; they hate working, they hate high costs. Show them that being green is often an easier way. Show them how quickly and naturally good habits can be to adopt.

I shouldn't be the only person who cringes to see a pop can in a garbage bag.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:55 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
The economy is globalised. The idea that any nation will ' net benefit' is a total fiction.

I certainly hope you're open minded enough to watch the movie. Instead of people being the devil's advocate and suggesting disgusting attitudes Canadians could selfishly take -- we should try to find arguments against the claims in the movie 'Do The Math'.

If we cannot argue against the movie's claims, it could possibly mean that our previous conclusions about climate change are wrong.
I was hoping for a civil airing of the issue, but given the tone of your response that doesn't seem possible. On that note, I'm not getting involved in this discussion. I'll leave you to your thread.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 3:01 AM
Community Guy

Planted 20 plants in our office, prepped the rooftop planters and started the tomatoes, did spring clean up around work and the condo.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:39 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Planted 20 plants in our office, prepped the rooftop planters and started the tomatoes, did spring clean up around work and the condo.
And I just let my V8 truck idle for 30 minutes

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:44 PM
Community Guy

^but ethanol right

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:56 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^but ethanol right
Nope ... just pure bitumen! Even poured some on the ground for my cold homies!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Maybe we should be more like North Korea, I hear they celebrate Earth Day everyday. Started my LandRover and let it run extra early this morning considering we are going through the coldest spring in over a century.

Here are 15 predictions from "scientists" from Earth days past, its a funny read.
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/earth-d...irst-earth-day

But but but this time they are right lol

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:36 PM
Here and There

We need to reduce consumption now and have a green-based economy brought forward. I dont know about you assholes, but I really like this planet we live on with all of its reefs, forests, lakes, rivers, animals, plants and mystery. If we lose all of this, we lose humanity.

Just a thought!

We live in such a miserable world these days when you are afraid to swim in the rivers and lakes you used to swim in. Even the ocean is considered dirty to many people, and they wont even swim in it!!

This is an absolute fail.

Yes, Co2 is not everything, but it is sure part of the problem. Lets make our weather dependable again! I cant believe people see a positive out of the accelerated warming of the earth!

How disgusting. There is not one place on the earth that isnt polluted now. The air is thick with nasty.

You like those beautiful RED sunsets?? That is pollution people, not beauty. Each time you see a red sunset it should be like foreshadowing to you.

Grow up everyone, we are all a bunch of spoiled brats.

Save this amazing, AMAZING, AMAZING Planet

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
We need to reduce consumption now and have a green-based economy brought forward. I dont know about you assholes, but I really like this planet we live on with all of its reefs, forests, lakes, rivers, animals, plants and mystery. If we lose all of this, we lose humanity.

Just a thought!

We live in such a miserable world these days when you are afraid to swim in the rivers and lakes you used to swim in. Even the ocean is considered dirty to many people, and they wont even swim in it!!

This is an absolute fail.

Yes, Co2 is not everything, but it is sure part of the problem. Lets make our weather dependable again! I cant believe people see a positive out of the accelerated warming of the earth!

How disgusting. There is not one place on the earth that isnt polluted now. The air is thick with nasty.

You like those beautiful RED sunsets?? That is pollution people, not beauty. Each time you see a red sunset it should be like foreshadowing to you.

Grow up everyone, we are all a bunch of spoiled brats.

Save this amazing, AMAZING, AMAZING Planet
Lol, do you realize that the device you typed that nonsense on is bad for the environment? Hypocrit.

That said, I do agree this planet is amazing, I think it's safe to say I like it even more than the dinosaurs did. Lots of thanks they got hey?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:09 PM
Here and There

And what do you do to minimize your footprint on the planet? What a shit-head comment that was. How was any of that nonsense? We all have to live on this planet. There will be a huge shift in thinking soon as we all have to give something up in order to survive on the planet. Have fun on you next vacation, swimming with plastic garbage and fossil fuel residue! Dont forget to have some BP gulf oil shrimp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Lol, do you realize that the device you typed that nonsense on is bad for the environment? Hypocrit.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
And I just let my V8 truck idle for 30 minutes
Mine is idling outside the house as I type this... I'm troubleshooting something. (Currently idling on a mix of diesel and WVO, mostly diesel though). It's probably been running at idle in the driveway for over an hour if I sum up the few times I did it those last few days.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
And what do you do to minimize your footprint on the planet? What a shit-head comment that was. How was any of that nonsense? We all have to live on this planet. There will be a huge shift in thinking soon as we all have to give something up in order to survive on the planet. Have fun on you next vacation, swimming with plastic garbage and fossil fuel residue! Dont forget to have some BP gulf oil shrimp!
Lol, I went from a minivan to a Land Rover, how's that for my footprint? Me, I look at history to make decisions for myself. I look at the heat and drought of the 30's and realize it wasn't because of all those SUVs. I look at the dinosaurs and wonder what they could've done better lol. Fact is Im not nieve enough to think anything man does has any significant effect on the earth. Scientists have a history if been wrong all the time, why should I believe them now? Heck they can't even accurately predict what the weather is going to be like on the weekend. It's a beautiful planet and always will be. Cheer up and get out of your bubble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada