HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:33 PM

Very happy that the Kings resigned everyone (and to very reasonable contracts as well) and if we get Parise or Doan that will just be icing on the cake!

Cant wait for the season to start

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 1:01 AM
Go Chiefs!

We signed our franchise player for 6 years.

CANADIENS SIGN G PRICE TO SIX-YEAR, $39 MILLION CONTRACT

Quote:
BROSSARD, Que. -- Carey Price is just fine with spending six more years dealing with the pressures inherent in manning the Montreal Canadiens' goal.

The three-time all-star goaltender signed a six-year contract worth a total of US$39 million with Montreal on Monday.

Price, who turns 25 on August 15, already has five NHL seasons under his belt.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399787

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Makes sense Shultz signed with Edmonton...he gets to be with a bunch of young guys with a lot of potential upswing.

Don't forget the last team to have 3 first round draft picks ended up becoming the Stanley-Cup winning Colorado Avalanche...

Obviously Oilers have to find all the pieces especially in net like Roy was the missing links for the Nords/Avs; they're still a few years out from being legit contenders imo, but anyone who is denying the Oilers as a potential AAA team in the future is smokin' something hallucinogenic
No doubt, the potential is there. But, the million dollar question is: can the Oilers keep this team together long enough for the investment in 1st overall picks to get good enough to contend? Forwards are "NHL-ready" before D-men, and the Oilers have been deficient in drafting blue-chip d-men. So, where will their D come from? When all those entry-level contracts signed by Eberle, Hall, Nuge, Yak and Schulz expire, will the Oil be in a position to re-sign them all? Will they have any $$ left to sign some veteran first pair d-men FAs? Or will they require 'Bulin to stop 45 shots per game, and hope to win all their games 8-7?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Jets sign free agent forward Olli Jokinen to two-year deal

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Jets have signed Olli Jokinen to a two-year deal worth US$9 million.

Winnipeg added the veteran Finnish centre Monday on the second day of NHL free agency.

Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff was looking for an upgrade in size among his top-six forwards and feels he found it with the six-foot-three, 210-pound Jokinen.

"He has the size, he's got a tremendous amount of experience, he's had great consistency over the years," said Cheveldayoff during a conference call. "We believe that with adding the size of (free agent Alexei Ponikarovsky) and now Jokinen, we're a much bigger and harder team to play against."

The move represents Winnipeg's biggest signing since free agency opened on Sunday, when they inked forward Ponikarovsky and defenceman Derek Meech.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...568/story.html

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 4:00 AM

Olli is a great stop-gap measure for the Jets. Our depth down the middle was pretty ugly, and this helps to rectify that. Additionally, it also pushes people down the depth chart which is always nice. The guy is an iron-man and consistently produces. He's not a star, but a very good piece.

Great fit. Two-year term is excellent.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 5:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Olli is a great stop-gap measure for the Jets. Our depth down the middle was pretty ugly, and this helps to rectify that. Additionally, it also pushes people down the depth chart which is always nice. The guy is an iron-man and consistently produces. He's not a star, but a very good piece.

Great fit. Two-year term is excellent.
Watching Olli last year he was a guy to be afraid of for the Jets, now it is the other way around. Wonder how our games with the Flyers will be now lol. I hope our high scoring games continue with them as the Jets vs Flyers are one of the best match ups to watch. Always exciting, and even better since we have one of their players lol.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Watching Olli last year he was a guy to be afraid of for the Jets, now it is the other way around. Wonder how our games with the Flyers will be now lol. I hope our high scoring games continue with them as the Jets vs Flyers are one of the best match ups to watch. Always exciting, and even better since we have one of their players lol.
Olli played for the Flames last year...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Olli played for the Flames last year...
I think (s)he meant Olli was one of the players that the Jets would be afraid of when he played against them, and now he's a player on the Jets that other teams should fear.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 2:06 PM

Safe to say we've seen the last of Alexander Radulov in the NHL. No doubt he's got talent, but his competitiveness and dedication are highly questionable.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 2:22 PM

The Parise and Suter shoes need to drop... then we can mop up the rest of free-agency and start to speculate on a season that may never be .

...I wish I didn't love hockey so damn much. I'm tired of hitting the re-fresh button on the Dreger/McKenzie twitter feeds.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Safe to say we've seen the last of Alexander Radulov in the NHL. No doubt he's got talent, but his competitiveness and dedication are highly questionable.
Good riddance.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 5:05 PM

I get incredibly sick of hearing about hockey in July.

And yes, I realize the irony that I'm thinking about hockey right now and posting in a hockey thread. I can still hate it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 6:05 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Yeah, I was excited to see him come back, but he has some serious issues (lazy on defense, and just about everything else we saw in the 2nd round series against Phoenix). The level of dbag you have to be to go out and party until 4AM the night before playing a playoff game against a gritty team is beyond me. I'm glad that my Preds don't have to be bothered with him anymore. I'm sure he'll test the market in 2016, but I doubt he'll return mainly because no GM will give him the fat contract he'll want.

On the other hand, I'm getting more and more nervous about this Suter situation. I'm pretty sure Jordin Tootoo just became the 2nd most disliked Predator (behind Radulov) now that he's signed with the Redwings. Interchanges between him and McGrattan should be interesting this fall.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 10:20 PM

Holy crap!

Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun. Jaromir Jagr has agreed to one-year, $4.5-million deal with the Dallas Stars.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...71711147393026

Now THAT's something that will take some getting used to...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 1:41 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

There has been so much overpaying the last few days. It's nuts.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:14 AM
digital b0y

^ 100% agree.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:40 AM
Go Chiefs!

Well it's July 1st... what do you guys expect? It happens every year.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 4:20 AM

I really like the Jiri Hudler pickup by the Flames. Wideman.. not so much.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 6:09 AM

Dallas is strange.

That said, they have some nice pieces, and will need everything to go their way (Lehtonen's health, Jagr's production, Derek Roy playing really well) to make the post-season.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 9:05 AM

I'm pretty sure Nieuwendyk just went for the "players who were good when I was playing in the 90's" approach this free agency.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada